PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Options

jthomasou78
11/22/2010, 07:01 PM
So it looks like we can win out and play Pitt in the Fiesta Bowl. If we didnt win the Big 12 championships we could play wither Stanford in the Alamo Bowl or LSU in the Cotton Bowl. Seems like a pretty underwhelming BCS game.

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2010, 07:09 PM
Playing LSU in the Cotton is underwhelming?

Doged
11/22/2010, 07:15 PM
Playing LSU in the Cotton is underwhelming?

Playing LSU in the Cotton isn't a BCS game, genius. :rolleyes:

usaosooner
11/22/2010, 07:16 PM
BCS Bowl...

goingoneight
11/22/2010, 07:17 PM
Wha??? Pitt is in contention for a BCS Bowl? Hah???

Mississippi Sooner
11/22/2010, 07:29 PM
It's sad, but true. This year it could be infinitely better to finish second and get a good SEC team in the Cotton Bowl than a meh Big East team in the Fiesta.

With that said, though, there is no question in my mind. I want the Sooners to get Big XII Championship number 7. Bowl game be damned.

Okie35
11/22/2010, 07:35 PM
It's sad, but true. This year it could be infinitely better to finish second and get a good SEC team in the Cotton Bowl than a meh Big East team in the Fiesta.

With that said, though, there is no question in my mind. I want the Sooners to get Big XII Championship number 7. Bowl game be damned.

No telling w/ all that time to prepare for only ONE team. I think any team would put up a fight.

osucowboy344
11/22/2010, 07:38 PM
No telling w/ all that time to prepare for only ONE team. I think any team would put up a fight.

Pokey won't be playing pitt only sooner!:rolleyes:

OU_Sooners75
11/22/2010, 08:31 PM
So it looks like we can win out and play Pitt in the Fiesta Bowl. If we didnt win the Big 12 championships we could play wither Stanford in the Alamo Bowl or LSU in the Cotton Bowl. Seems like a pretty underwhelming BCS game.

Well, lets get one thing straight: Stanford will not be in the Alamo Bowl, period!

Alamo Bowl tie in is Big 12 #4/5 vs. Big 10 #4

That being said, the #2 PAC 10 team is in the Holiday Bowl.

However, Stanford may play right into a BCS Bowl game if Oregon goes the National Championship game.

So Stanford will likely be Holiday Bowl, maybe even Fiesta or Orange Bowl.

LSU if they win out, will likely be the second team from the SEC in a BCS Bowl game, likely the Sugar Bowl to replace Auburn.

So who will OU be playing?

If they win the Big 12, most likely they will play Big East Champions (Pittsburgh is leading Big East).

If OU does not win the Big 12 title, but makes the Big 12 championship, that will likely mean OU is #3 or #4 in the big 12, with OSU being #2 in the Big 12. Meaning OU will likely be playing in the Holiday Bowl agianst Stanford or Oregon State. Or OU could be in the Alamo Bowl against Iowa or Penn State.

If OU loses to OSU, then they will still finish #4 or #5, but will most likely end up in the Alamo Bowl against Iowa or Penn State. Or they will be in the Sun Bowl against Oregon State or Arizona.

Yet, if OU loses to OSU and A&M wins against Texass, the Aggies will finish #4 in the Big 12, OU will finish #5, meaning OU will likely end up in the Sun Bowl against Oregon State or Arizona.

Those are the true bowl options for OU and their likely opponents.

THE-JROD
11/22/2010, 08:34 PM
^Well said

soonerbub
11/22/2010, 08:35 PM
Fiesta Bowl is our only option til I see different

that said I'd like a revenge shot at the mountaineers

sooner59
11/22/2010, 08:41 PM

Yes.

Tigeman
11/22/2010, 08:57 PM
We always get stuck w/ the $hitty teams unless it's in the mNCG.

Last year's bowl match-up I liked. But we never get a tOSU, Bama, or other marquee program to match-up w/. F U Big 12 and your $hitty a$$ Fiesta bowl affiliation!

Yes I realize Pitt sorta has a history, but ugh, it doesn't grab me as a good game. We want a big name team, even if they do suck.

I hate to say it, but I'd rather play in the cotton bowl this year against a decent SEC team than in the Fiesta Bowl against a crappy no name East school

This was my post in the thread we had here...

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147589

webfoot
11/22/2010, 09:12 PM
Would it be possible for Auburn to get to the Fiesta if they lose in the SEC CCG?

4. After steps No. 1, 2 and 3 have been completed, any bowl with an unfilled slot shall select a team from the automatic qualifiers and/or at-large teams in the following order for the games played in 2007 through 2010:

January 2011 games: Sugar, Orange, Fiesta

They wouldn't go to the Sugar in a rematch....I guess the Orange could take them against the ACC champ instead of Boise or TCU.

JLEW1818
11/22/2010, 09:17 PM
Would it be possible for Auburn to get to the Fiesta if they lose in the SEC CCG?

maybe, that's interesting.

webfoot
11/22/2010, 09:25 PM
Big XII Champ OU vs. SEC #2 Auburn. I'd go.

JLEW1818
11/22/2010, 09:33 PM
i think the Fiesta gets last pick though.

not sure

Tigeman
11/22/2010, 09:51 PM
I'd be there in a heartbeat for that game. I think that would be one of the most watched match-ups if it happened.

That being said, alot of the media is claiming they'd still put Auburn w/ 1 loss ahead of Boise or TCU for the mNCG. Then like JLEW said, the Fiesta chooses an at large bid last this year. So the likelihood of it happening is next to nothing.

pappy
11/22/2010, 10:16 PM
Well, lets get one thing straight: Stanford will not be in the Alamo Bowl, period!

Alamo Bowl tie in is Big 12 #4/5 vs. Big 10 #4

That being said, the #2 PAC 10 team is in the Holiday Bowl.

However, Stanford may play right into a BCS Bowl game if Oregon goes the National Championship game.

So Stanford will likely be Holiday Bowl, maybe even Fiesta or Orange Bowl.

LSU if they win out, will likely be the second team from the SEC in a BCS Bowl game, likely the Sugar Bowl to replace Auburn.

So who will OU be playing?

If they win the Big 12, most likely they will play Big East Champions (Pittsburgh is leading Big East).

If OU does not win the Big 12 title, but makes the Big 12 championship, that will likely mean OU is #3 or #4 in the big 12, with OSU being #2 in the Big 12. Meaning OU will likely be playing in the Holiday Bowl agianst Stanford or Oregon State. Or OU could be in the Alamo Bowl against Iowa or Penn State.

If OU loses to OSU, then they will still finish #4 or #5, but will most likely end up in the Alamo Bowl against Iowa or Penn State. Or they will be in the Sun Bowl against Oregon State or Arizona.

Yet, if OU loses to OSU and A&M wins against Texass, the Aggies will finish #4 in the Big 12, OU will finish #5, meaning OU will likely end up in the Sun Bowl against Oregon State or Arizona.

Those are the true bowl options for OU and their likely opponents.

Agreed except you should just completely leave Arizona off the list because if you'll remember from last year both Bob and Mike will do everything they can to avoid playing each other. It worked last year b/c the sun bowl wanted the arizona vs oklahoma matchup but because bob and mike complained we played stanford in the sun bowl and arizona played someone else in some other bowl that I don't remember.

pappy
11/22/2010, 10:25 PM
Also if we win out and go to the fiesta bowl...I'm 99.9% sure that Bob will end his bcs losing streak.

Sooner95
11/22/2010, 10:32 PM
Not sure where you guys get your so called "order" of selection, but it has nothign to do with order of finish in Conference.

OU could very well lose to OSU and still be selected 2nd, if the bowl that is up to pick decides they'de rather have them than said other team.

It's all about tickets sales, and how a team travels.

Anyhow, don't take my word for it...

Each non-BCS bowl has the opportunity to choose competitors for their end of season college football events.

However, the teams they can choose are determined by contracts each bowl holds with certain conferences, and the selection order in which they are allowed to pick their competitors.

All 11 Football Bowl Subdivision conferences have at least one bowl affiliation. The following is the selection order for each conference.

Selection order is not the same as finishing order. For example a bowl that has second pick from the conference is not required to choose the team that finished second in that conference.

Instead they are allowed — unless otherwise agreed upon — to select any bowl-eligible team from the conference with which they have an agreement.
BCS Automatic Qualifying Conferences

Atlantic Coast Conference

1. Orange Bowl (BCS)
2. Chick-fil-A Bowl
3. Champ Sports Bowl
4. Sun Bowl
5. Meineke Car Care Bowl
6. Music City Bowl
7. Independence Bowl
8. EagleBank Bowl
9. Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl (contingency)

Big East Conference

1. Bowl Championship Series Automatic Bid
2. Champ Sports Bowl
3. Meineke Car Care Bowl
4. Pinstripe Bowl
5/6. Birmingham Bowl and Liberty Bowl (alternates)
7. Beef ‘O’ Brady St. Petersburgh Bowl

Note: Notre Dame can be chosen as a replacement for any Big East team in any non-BCS bowl.

Big Ten Conference

1. Rose Bowl (BCS)
2. Capital One Bowl
3. Outback Bowl
4/5. Gator Bowl and Insight Bowl (alternates)
6. Texas Bowl
7. Dallas Football Classic
8. Little Caesars Pizza Bowl

Big 12 Conference

1. Fiesta Bowl (BCS)
2. Cotton Bowl Classic
3. Alamo Bowl
4. Insight Bowl
5. Holiday Bowl
6. Texas Bowl
7. Pinstripe Bowl
8. Dallas Football Classic

Pacific-10 Conference

1. Rose Bowl (BCS)
2. Alamo Bowl
3. Holiday Bowl
4. Sun Bowl
5. Maaco Las Vegas Bowl
6. Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl

Southeastern Conference

1. Sugar Bowl (BCS)
2. Capital One Bowl
3/4. Outback Bowl and Cotton Bowl Classic (alternates)
5. Chick-fil-A Bowl
6. Gator Bowl
7/8. Liberty Bowl and Music City Bowl (alternates)
9. Birmingham Bowl
Non-Automatic Qualifying Conferences

Conference USA

1. Liberty Bowl
2-6. Hawaii Bowl, Armed Forces Bowl, New Orleans Bowl, Beef ‘O’ Brady St. Petersburg Bowl, EagleBank Bowl

Note: The C-USA’s selection order is not set below giving the Liberty Bowl its first selection.

Mid-American Confernece

1. Little Caesar’s Pizza Bowl
2. GMAC Bowl
3. Humanitarian Bowl

Note: The MAC will supply an alternate to the Birmingham Bowl for the Big East if it cannot supply enough bowl-eligible teams. The MAC can also supply an alternate team for the Dallas Football Classic in 2010.

Mountain West Conference

1. Maaco Las Vegas Bowl
2. Poinsettia Bowl
3. Independence Bowl
4/5. Armed Forces Bowl and New Mexico Bowl (alternates)

Sun Belt Conference

1. New Orleans Bowl
2. GMAC Bowl

Note: The Sun Belt Conference can supply teams as alternates for the following bowls: St. Petersburg, Independence, PapaJohns.com and Pizza.

Western Athletic Conference

1. Humanitarian Bowl
2-5. Hawaii Bowl, New Mexico Bowl, Poinsettia Bowl, Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl

Note: Hawaii is automatically selected for the Hawaii Bowl if bowl-eligible and not selected by the BCS. The other four bowls listed at 2-5 will select WAC teams in an availability order.

Sooner95
11/22/2010, 10:33 PM
we are not going to the Holiday bowl. At worst, it's Insight.

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2010, 11:10 PM
Any chance Texas can get into that Dallas Football Classic? They like playing their bowl games close to home.

MI Sooner
11/22/2010, 11:22 PM
we are not going to the Holiday bowl. At worst, it's Insight.

So 3-loss OU goes ahead of Okie St., a&m, Nebraska, and Missouri? Who is behind us, a&m (assume same overall record, better big 12 record, won head to head, and probably pretty decent travel base after down spell), or missouri, who doesn't travel?

webfoot
11/22/2010, 11:52 PM
Not sure where you guys get your so called "order" of selection, but it has nothign to do with order of finish in Conference.

OU could very well lose to OSU and still be selected 2nd, if the bowl that is up to pick decides they'de rather have them than said other team.

It's all about tickets sales, and how a team travels.

Anyhow, don't take my word for it...

I, and I think a few others, were referring to the BCS bowl games hierarchy for at-large bids.

Tigeman
11/23/2010, 12:55 AM
I, and I think a few others, were referring to the BCS bowl games hierarchy for at-large bids.

Yep. That's what we were referring to 95.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions

The Big 12 champion automatically goes to the Fiesta Bowl, so the way I see it playing out is Oklahoma State beats Oklahoma and then knocks off Nebraska in the in the Big 12 title game and lands here. The Fiesta Bowl gets the last at-large pick, so expect the Big East champion here. Take your choice -- Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Connecticut, South Florida? Let's say West Virginia, which should beat Pittsburgh next week.

soonercastor
11/23/2010, 03:19 AM
I think UCONN will play in the Fiesta Bowl; all they need is WVU to beat Pitt which isn't that far fetched and win their remaining two games (Cincy, @ Cuse)

josh09
11/23/2010, 03:21 AM

"Underwhelming BCS game" is exactly what I thought at the end of our 2006 season... :pop:

madillsoonerfan5353
11/23/2010, 08:53 AM

Boise State!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

NOVSooner
11/23/2010, 11:10 AM
Big XII Champ OU vs. SEC #2 Auburn. I'd go.

ronnell lewis vs cam newton.....hmmmm