PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Article regarding big Rivalry Games this Week

Collier11
11/22/2010, 02:14 PM
1. Alabama-Auburn

Series leader: Alabama, 40-33-1

Biggest moment: In the 1972 game known simply as "Punt Bama Punt," the Tigers trailed No. 2 Alabama 16-3 with about six minutes to play. Auburn blocked two punts and returned both of them for touchdowns to stun the Crimson Tide, 17-16, which knocked them out of the national championship hunt.

Why it's important this season: If the No. 2 Tigers can defeat the No. 11 Crimson Tide in Tuscaloosa on Friday, they'll take a 12-0 record into next week's SEC championship game against South Carolina in Atlanta's Georgia Dome. Auburn is two victories away from earning a spot in the Jan. 10 BCS National Championship Game.

2. Florida-Florida State

Series leader: Florida, 33-19-2

Biggest moment: The Gators and Seminoles played two times during the 1996 season, with FSU upsetting No. 1 Florida, 24-21, during the regular season. FSU's defense intercepted Heisman Trophy winner Danny Wuerffel three times and hit him throughout the game. The teams played again in the 1997 Sugar Bowl, with the Gators running away with a 52-20 rout to win their first national championship in football.

Why it's important this season: The Seminoles will try to end a six-game losing streak to the Gators, who limp into Saturday's game at Doak Campbell Stadium in Tallahassee with a 7-4 record. Florida is 5-0 against FSU under coach Urban Meyer, defeating the Seminoles by an average of 24.8 points during the streak.

3. UCLA-USC

Series leader: USC, 44-28-7

Biggest moment: The 1967 game between the Bruins and Trojans was billed as the "Game of the Century." The Bruins were 7-0-1 and ranked No. 1 in the country. The Trojans were 8-1 and ranked No. 4 in the country. With USC trailing 20-14 with about 10½ minutes to play, tailback O.J. Simpson ran for a 64-yard touchdown to give the Trojans a 21-20 victory. They defeated Indiana 14-3 in the Rose Bowl and won a national championship.

Why it's important this season: Unless the Bruins win at Arizona State on Friday, there won't be much more than bragging rights on the line in this season's version of the Crosstown Rivalry. USC is 7-4 after losing at Oregon State 36-7 on Saturday, but the Trojans can't play in a bowl game because of NCAA probation. UCLA has lost four of its last five games and must beat the Sun Devils and Trojans to go bowling.

4. Texas-Texas A&M

Series leader: Texas, 75-36-5

Biggest moment: Eight days after 12 Texas A&M students died and 27 others were injured while constructing the school's traditional bonfire in 1999, the Aggies rallied from a 16-6 deficit in the second half to defeat the Longhorns, 20-16. Quarterback Randy McCown threw a 14-yard touchdown to Matt Bumgardner with 5:02 left, setting off a sea of emotion for both sides. The Texas band played "Amazing Grace" and members took off their hats at the end. The A&M band honored the bonfire victims by marching off without playing a note.

Why it's important this season: The Aggies have won five games in a row, including a 9-6 upset of then-No. 8 Nebraska on Saturday to climb to No. 17 in the BCS standings. The Longhorns have lost six of their last eight games and must defeat the Aggies in Austin on Thanksgiving Day to finish 6-6 and qualify for a bowl game.

5. Oregon-Oregon State

Series leader: Oregon, 57-46-10

Biggest moment: The most exciting moment in the Civil War came in 1998, when the Beavers upset the Ducks 44-41 in double overtime. Oregon State fans rushed the field after the first overtime, but a pass interference penalty gave the Ducks another chance. After officials needed more than 10 minutes to clear the field, Oregon scored to send the game into a second overtime. The Ducks kicked a field goal to make it 41-38, but Beavers running back Ken Simonton ran for a touchdown to win the game.

Why it's important this season: The Ducks are 10-0 and are No. 1 in the BCS standings. If Oregon defeats No. 21 Arizona at home on Friday and Oregon State on the road in the Civil War on Dec. 4, they'll play in the Jan. 10 BCS National Championship Game. The Beavers are 5-5, after upsetting USC 36-7 on Saturday, and will have to beat either No. 6 Stanford on Saturday or Oregon to go bowling.

6. Oklahoma-Oklahoma State

Series leader: Oklahoma, 80-17-7

Biggest moment: Oklahoma has dominated the Bedlam Series, but Les Miles delivered two of the rivalry's biggest upsets as Oklahoma State's coach in 2001 and 2002. The Cowboys had a 3-7 record and were 27-point underdogs going into the 2001 game at Oklahoma. But freshman quarterback Josh Fields came off the bench and fired a 14-yard touchdown to Rashaun Woods with 1:36 to go, leading the Pokes to a 16-13 upset of the No. 4 Sooners. Oklahoma State upset the No. 3 Sooners, 38-28, the next season.

Why it's important this season: No. 9 Oklahoma State is 10-1 and has a one-game lead in the Big 12 South standings over the No. 13 Sooners with a 6-1 record. If the Pokes can end their seven-game losing streak against OU, they'll play in next week's Big 12 championship game. If the Sooners beat the Pokes again, and Texas A&M beats Texas, they'll probably win a tiebreaker based on highest BCS ranking.

7. BYU-Utah

Series leader: Utah, 53-34-4

Biggest moment: Utah hadn't beaten the Cougars in Provo in 21 years and had dropped four straight games against BYU heading into the 1993 Holy War. With the score tied at 31, the Utes had the ball at BYU's 37-yard line. Utah kicker Chris Yergensen, who had already missed two field goals in the game, was on the sideline being consulted by a team psychologist. He kicked a 55-yard field goal, the longest of his career, to give the Utes a 34-31 victory.

Why it's important this season: The Cougars have rebounded from a dreadful 1-4 start and have won four games in a row heading into Saturday's Holy War at No. 20 Utah. The Utes ended a two-game losing streak by defeating San Diego State, 38-34, on the road Saturday night. With a victory, the Cougars can tie the Utes for second place in the Mountain West standings and finish the regular season with a winning record.

8. Georgia-Georgia Tech

Series leader: Georgia, 60-39-5

Biggest moment: The Yellow Jackets defeated the Bulldogs eight straight times from 1949 to 1956, their longest winning streak in the series. In 1957, Georgia's Theron Sapp recovered a fumble at midfield. On the Bulldogs' ensuing possession, Sapp carried the ball nine consecutive times, including a 1-yard touchdown on fourth-and-goal for the only score in Georgia's 7-0 victory. Sapp earned the moniker "Drought Breaker" for his heroics.

Why it's important this season: The Bulldogs and Yellow Jackets have been disappointments this season, but Saturday night's game at Sanford Stadium in Athens will decide whether Georgia plays in a bowl game. Georgia Tech, the defending ACC champions, improved to 6-5 with a, 30-20, victory over Duke on Saturday.

9. Clemson-South Carolina

Series leader: Clemson, 65-38-4

Biggest moment: After Clemson blew a 24-0 lead against South Carolina in 1977, the Tigers trailed the Gamecocks, 27-24, in the final minute at Williams-Brice Stadium. Clemson quarterback Steve Fuller fired a 20-yard touchdown to Jerry Butler, who made a leaping catch before falling into the end zone with 49 seconds left in a 31-27 victory. The memorable play is still simply known as "The Catch."

Why it's important this season: Clemson has won 10 of the last 13 meetings and can finish the regular season with a winning record if it defeats the Gamecocks on Saturday. South Carolina has already won its first SEC East title and will play in next week's SEC championship game, but state bragging rights seem to matter as much as conference titles.

10. Mississippi-Mississippi State

Series leader: Ole Miss, 60-40-6

Biggest moment: With the score tied at 20 with 20 seconds to play in the 1999 Egg Bowl, Ole Miss coach David Cutcliffe decided to run one more passing play, instead of taking a knee and forcing overtime. Quarterback Romero Miller's deep pass was deflected and bounced off the foot of State cornerback Robert Bean. The pass was intercepted by Eugene Clinton, who returned the ball deep into Ole Miss territory. Bulldogs kicker Scott Westerfield kicked a 44-yard field goal to give State a 23-20 victory.

Why it's important this season: The Bulldogs are 7-4 in coach Dan Mullen's second season but are coming off back-to-back losses to Alabama and Arkansas. If State can defeat the Rebels for the third time in four seasons, there's a good chance they'll play in the Chick-fil-A Bowl or Outback Bowl. Ole Miss has been eliminated from bowl consideration with a 4-7 record, but it would probably like revenge for last season's 41-27 loss to the Bulldogs.

NMSooner'80
11/22/2010, 02:16 PM
I guess they got that Bedlam series record from the Pokes. I always thought it was 81-16-7.

osucowboy344
11/22/2010, 02:28 PM
I guess they got that OU-OSU series record from the Pokes. I always thought it was 81-16-7.

Yea OU is going to win 81-16. Oh, thats right past records don't influence the outcome of the current year.

AlboSooner
11/22/2010, 02:37 PM
The biggest lie in sports: you nevar know wha happens in bedlum

3rdgensooner
11/22/2010, 02:39 PM
Series leader: Oklahoma, 80-17-7

IT'S BED-LAMP I TELLS YA!

SoonerPr8r
11/22/2010, 02:40 PM
The biggest lie in sports: you nevar know wha happens in bedlum

No it's true. No one ever knows exactly how the orange aggies are going to choke.

SoonerAtKU
11/22/2010, 02:44 PM
I heard that OSU was going to send an official letter of surrender and discontinue the 'rivalry' at one point.

But they let Brent Parker deliver the letter and...well...

NMSooner'80
11/22/2010, 02:57 PM
From Soonersports.com:

Series History
Games Played 104
Series Record OU leads 81-16-7
Last Meeting 27-0, OU on 11/28/2009
First Meeting 75-0, OU on 11/6/1904
Average Score 28-10, OU

sooner59
11/22/2010, 03:02 PM
This list is BS! BYU-Utah deserved to be #2 behind the Iron Bowl. I know because that guy from MSN said so a week or so ago.

AlboSooner
11/22/2010, 03:04 PM
It's not much of a rivalry when the "rival" has only won 16 games in 104 tries.
But, it's the national night game so I understand why ESPN wants to sell this as a rivalry.

just by pure chance you can put together a team of monkeys and expect them to win 15% of the games.

osucowboy344
11/22/2010, 03:06 PM
It's not much of a rivalry when the "rival" has only won 16 games in 104 tries.
But, it's the national night game so I understand why ESPN wants to sell this as a rivalry.

Its not a rival! pokey only has sheep rasslin!

AlboSooner
11/22/2010, 03:07 PM
Its not a rival! pokey only has sheep rasslin!

It's not funny anymore.

But really, trolling aside, does it feel like a rivalry to you guys?

osucowboy344
11/22/2010, 03:12 PM
It's not funny anymore.

But really, trolling aside, does it feel like a rivalry to you guys?

I would say this year feels more like a rivalry moreso than in the past 5 years.

AlboSooner
11/22/2010, 03:12 PM
I would say this year feels more like a rivalry moreso than in the past 5 years.

I agree with this.

Okie35
11/22/2010, 03:39 PM

It felt like one to me the past 3 years.

osucowboy344
11/22/2010, 03:41 PM
It felt like one to me the past 3 years.

Well, I feel like this is a year where both teams should have their best players out there with no big injuries.

sooneron
11/22/2010, 03:43 PM
I just heard that Blackmon is in a boot & on crutches...

osucowboy344
11/22/2010, 03:45 PM
I just heard that Blackmon is in a boot & on crutches...

Well, scratch that theory.

Collier11
11/22/2010, 03:47 PM
Thought you were joking so I looked it up and its true...that would really suck for osu, hate to see anyone hurt but cant say that I mind too much :D

sooneron
11/22/2010, 03:48 PM
That's right you heard it here first.

Okie35
Well, I feel like this is a year where both teams should have their best players out there with no big injuries.

Last year I felt the injuries we had plus Hunter not being 100% and no Dez pretty much anything could've happened besides the fact we were at home. In 08 all the hype behind the game pretty much got to me and I figured it would be a shootout @ your place. I feel like I felt in 08 right now. I'm confident in our defense though.

osucowboy344
Thought you were joking so I looked it up and its true...that would really suck for osu, hate to see anyone hurt but cant say that I mind too much :D

Man, you guys would look really bad if we beat you without him.

Collier11
11/22/2010, 03:51 PM
I always want the best guys out there for both teams

Okie35
11/22/2010, 03:59 PM
I always want the best guys out there for both teams

Me too definitely. No excuses.