PDA

View Full Version : Comparison (Landry)

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2010, 11:56 AM
At this point, Landry Jones has achieved the following through 11 games.

311/465 for 3479 yd, 67%, 30 TD, 7 INT

Projected through 12 games that would be

339/507 for 3795 yd, 67%, 33 TD, 8 INT

Consider Vinny Testerverde's Heisman season:

175/276 for 2557 yrd, 26 TD, 9 INT

So Landry already has more completions, a higher percentage of completions, more TDs, and fewer INTs than a player (a senior) winning the Heisman Trophy.

At the time, Vinny became the career leader in TD passes at 48, playing both his junior and senior season. Landry already has passed for 56 TD in his freshman and sophomore seasons.

Gino Torreta is a comparison I made a week ago, but I think is worth repeating. Gino won the Heisman largely on his stats and the won/loss record of his team. Well, OU's record so far isn't quite up to Gino's team's, but take a look at the stats:

228/402 for 3060 yd, 57%, 19 TD, 7 INT.

Again, Landry already has (as a sophomore) more completions, a higher percentage of completions, more TDs, and the same number of INTs than a player winning the Heisman Trophy as a senior.

It just goes to show how times have changed and how we need some perspective. If Landry had played in 1986, he would have been the Heisman front runner by a long shot. The game has changed, of course, with teams throwing the ball more. But a higher completion and TD/INT rate translates well no matter the season.

For a more modern comparison, consider Matt Lienart's Heisman season versus Landry's projected sophomore season:

Lienart...269/412 (65.3%), 3322 yards (12 yds per comp), 33 TD/6 INT.
Jones....339/507 (66.9%), 3795 yards (11 yds per comp), 33 TD/8 INT

Almost identical.

So should we start pushing for Landry to win the Heisman for next year?

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/22/2010, 12:05 PM
how many games did lienhart lose on the road? ;)

Jones consistantly puts up big numbers, but he decision making at times is what causes his positives attributes to be pulled down. i think we all tend to forget how young he is. since we have seen him play for almost two season now, we like to think of him as a seasoned vet...but he isn't. he is a young kid with huge responsibility. numbers alone are great, but his field precence and leadership needs some polish. i think next year will be a great year for him, and i look forward to seeing his progression.

tcrb
11/22/2010, 12:06 PM

All good points with regard to Landry's stats and performance. And while I do agree that he should be in the running, what exactly do you mean by "pushing" ? Should we start an email campaign to the Heisman Trust, or perhaps send letters, cards, emails to espin in hopes that they will pimp Landry? I am at a loss as to what 'we' can do to help Landry overcome the overwhelming consensus that Cam Newton is this year's winner.

Widescreen
11/22/2010, 12:07 PM
Landry's definitely improved. But the Heisman is supposed to be for the best player in CFB.

I agree that statistics are different right now. I remember Jason White having one of the best seasons any QB had ever had when he won his Heisman but statistically it wasn't much better than Landry's year this year. Landry needs to work on his decision-making. He played a very good game against Baylor - the only bad passes I thought he made were two in the redzone when he failed to connect with Franks. The interception just more of a really good play by the Baylor DE. Landry was going to Murray which was the right choice there.

sooneron
11/22/2010, 12:08 PM
He needs a really good game in stoolwater, too often Heisman hopefuls have had a stinker that blemishes their rep. and they drop like stones in the ocean. Landy has a couple of those...

fwsooner22
11/22/2010, 12:11 PM
Win Saturday. Not relevant until then.

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2010, 12:16 PM
how many games did lienhart lose on the road? ;)

Jones consistantly puts up big numbers, but he decision making at times is what causes his positives attributes to be pulled down.

Maybe, but bad decision-making usually translates to a higher INT ratio, but Landry's is about the same as Lienart's.

I think we are overly sensitive to Landry's mistakes. He throws a pass too high and it is somehow proof of his suckage.

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2010, 12:17 PM
All good points with regard to Landry's stats and performance. And while I do agree that he should be in the running, what exactly do you mean by "pushing" ? Should we start an email campaign to the Heisman Trust, or perhaps send letters, cards, emails to espin in hopes that they will pimp Landry? I am at a loss as to what 'we' can do to help Landry overcome the overwhelming consensus that Cam Newton is this year's winner.

I was referring to OU and what most athletic departments do in terms of their marketing.

BTW, next year, not this year.

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2010, 12:19 PM
Win Saturday. Not relevant until then.

Again, I'm talking about next year.

sooneron
11/22/2010, 12:21 PM
For the record, I don't disagree with you, Leroy. I think he will be getting pub going into next season. Don't forget that some pundits brought him up going into this year and they ate some crow due to his occasional poor play earlier this season.

jumperstop
11/22/2010, 12:23 PM
I think Jason and Sam threw down field a lot more than Landry too. Dumping it off short really helps those stats. That said he is a good QB and I think he'll only get better over the next couple of years.

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2010, 12:29 PM
I think Jason and Sam threw down field a lot more than Landry too. Dumping it off short really helps those stats. That said he is a good QB and I think he'll only get better over the next couple of years.

The difference between White and Landry is only about 1.3 yards per completion. Again, if Landry is throwing the short dumps, then those passes are working very well.

jumperstop
11/22/2010, 12:30 PM
The difference between White and Landry is only about 1.3 yards per completion. Again, if Landry is throwing the short dumps, then those passes are working very well.

Yards after catch, thanks to Broyles. And those passes are working well, we just need to give more credit to Broyles for a lot of those.

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2010, 12:31 PM
Yards after catch, thanks to Broyles

Yeah, all White had was Mark Clayton. :rolleyes:

Okie35
11/22/2010, 12:32 PM
Again, I'm talking about next year.

I already said next year he'll be a legitimate Heisman candidate.

Okie35
11/22/2010, 12:33 PM
Yards after catch, thanks to Broyles. And those passes are working well, we just need to give more credit to Broyles for a lot of those.

We'll always had receivers who rack up YAC. Even w/ Sam the receives YAC yards were ridiculous. Its about putting the ball in proper places for receivers to gain more yards.

jumperstop
11/22/2010, 12:37 PM
We'll always had receivers who rack up YAC. Even w/ Sam the receives YAC yards were ridiculous. Its about putting the ball in proper places for receivers to gain more yards.

I'm not saying they weren't. But anyone who can sit here and say that Landry's downfield passing as is good as Jason's or Sam's is crazy.

boomermagic
11/22/2010, 12:44 PM
When Landry has time he delivers..

soonerbrat
11/22/2010, 12:44 PM

No.

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2010, 12:45 PM
Would you like to elaborate soonerbrat?

soonerbrat
11/22/2010, 12:53 PM
Would you like to elaborate soonerbrat?

No.

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2010, 01:10 PM
No.

Can we have your name, rank, and serial number?

soonerbrat
11/22/2010, 01:11 PM
Can we have your name, rank, and serial number?

No.

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2010, 01:31 PM
http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/30045.gif