PDA

View Full Version : Seriously breaking down the game this weekend...

goingoneight
11/21/2010, 08:22 PM
So here's what I'm hearing after a busy month pretty much away from college football aside from checking scores and watching replays on youtube:

OSU, the team picked last in the South leads it going into the final week.

OU's most-impressive road win is at Baylor, a place with more empty seats that occupied seats.

So, there's that. The whole road game woes thing hasn't gone away yet.

This is finally an important game in terms of winner takes all. Whodathunkit, right? There has been marked offensive improvement now from this time a year ago. There seems to be on average, three dominant quarters of football per week in this Sooner team. Granted, some of that is hard to guage when FSU, Cincinnati, Texas, Tech and Baylor were realistically out of it going into the home stretch.

OSU is a one-loss team. Gotta tip your cap to the 43 year-old MAN this season. Even though the division is at it's weakest ever, he's still done a great job and he has sole possesion of something we want right now. He's got the much older, much more mature-kinda quarterback putting up great numbers in a Mike Leach QB-kinda way. He's got a good running back, maybe the best we've seen, a kicker who has been as good as they come at the college level and a receiver who hasn't missed a beat against anybody he's played all year long. They're going to score some points, so now comes the question as to whether or not OUr guys truly can answer the call on the road. We shot ourselves in the foot repeatedly and came up short more times than worth counting when it mattered versus aTm and Missouri, so how does everybody see this one shaking out? I like OU's defense and skill players, but I'm not sold yet on the team as a whole.

Questions: How does OU...

... contain/get in the face of Brandon Weeden?

... stop the run?

... cover Justin Blackmon when the situation (5-wide sets) will call for more one-on-ones?

... play it out in the fourth quarter?

The advantages I see for OU are that if Martinez could stand up in a clean pocket and execute to the tune of 51 points against OSU, Jones can should we not get out there all shaky and stuff up front. And I like OU's defense to be able to be a bit of a difference-maker. Hopefully this isn't a game like Tech a year ago where the team can't score early and the team just lays down all TGOWWDNS-like.

1. Three things I don't like if it comes down to it:

2. OU or oSu kicking a game-winner

3. Fourth-quarter decision/overtime

What does everyone else see or think will determine the outcome?

Home field advantage (the Fock can't save us here, gotta play better FTW)

Scott D
11/21/2010, 08:29 PM
All you need to do to distract Weeden is to get him the DVD set of Matlock.

OU Engineer
11/21/2010, 08:30 PM
Ok heres what I see us needing:

Get up early and take the crowd out of it. This should be easy because oSu's buttholes are gonna pucker so much what with us being there, gameday there, and their big 12 championship trip hinging on this.

Their defense is garbage, and if LJ can stand in there I think KW earns his paycheck in this game.

We have to pressure Old Man Weeden and shut down Blackmon. Our defense should be fast enough to catch Kendal Hunter. They will have big plays, we just have to know how to respond to those big plays.

soonercastor
11/21/2010, 08:32 PM
S The whole road game woes thing hasn't gone away yet.

I have to disagree. It was more of a mental thing than anything else, now we got that off and the players have gained confidence; so we should be fine.

oumartin
11/21/2010, 08:34 PM
What time is the Game? Weden eats supper at 4:00 and plays bridge at 5:00. He's in bed by 7.