PDA

View Full Version : VY gets hurt, throws hissy fit, out as starter

Salt City Sooner
11/21/2010, 07:35 PM
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher said after Sunday's overtime loss to the Redskins that quarterback Vince Young has lost his hold on the starting job.

Fisher's comments follow an emotional day for Young in which the fifth-year signal caller was booed, injured his thumb, threw his shoulder pads into the stands and stormed out of LP Field without talking to the media.

Fisher said Young tore the flexor tendon in his right thumb and when asked if Young had lost his job as starter, Fisher told The Tennessean, "Yes, right now he has. There are some things that need to change."

Young hurt his thumb when his hand slammed into a helmet after throwing a 37-yard completion to Nate Washington. He stayed in the game for a handoff to Chris Johnson, then went to the sideline where he had his thumb taped. Trainers kept re-taping the thumb as he tossed the ball with Randy Moss, trying to see if he could return.

"Vince tore a flexor tendon in his thumb and I was not satisfied with his ability to control the ball so I stayed with Rusty [Smith]," Fisher told The Tennessean after the game. "He never said to me he was OK and wanted to go back in, and I was told he was a little upset after, and I was also told he threw half his uniform in the stands.

"Clearly that is no way to respond, so we have some things we have to sort out with him. He may need surgery, and if that's the case, he is done for the year. If that's the case, Rusty is our guy."

Young walked past reporters quickly after the game ended and The Tennessean reported that Titans safety Michael Griffin chased after Young, but was unable to catch the Texas product.

Fisher told the paper that he talked to Young, but declined to reveal specfics of the conversation.

Young may have been upset with Titans fans that booed the home team throughout the game. As the fans booed late in the first half, Young waved his arms when fans were booing -- as if egging them on.

"I was very disappointed, his teammates were disappointed," Fisher said to The Tennessean after the 16-13 defeat. "There's going to be frustration in losses, and there are times you have to really dig deep and fight and turn to one another. I don't think you run. And that's why I am disappointed."

Smith, a rookie selected in the sixth round out of Florida Atlantic, made his NFL debut Sunday. He went 3 for 9 for 62 yards and an interception. Kerry Collins is the Titans' No. 3 quarterback with a strained left calf.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5835429

soonerchk
11/21/2010, 07:38 PM
Speaking of hissy fits and QBs, anyone know what happened between Pelini and Martinez last night?

cccasooner2
11/21/2010, 07:54 PM
VY is an artiste. He just wants to practice his art.

Widescreen
11/21/2010, 08:16 PM
I can't imagine Sam Bradford ever acting in any similar way. It takes a lot more than athleticism to make a great NFL QB.

Scott D
11/21/2010, 08:26 PM
I guess we can hear the Vincent considering suicide rumors any day now.

oudavid1
11/21/2010, 10:12 PM
Im a titans fan.

The Eyes of Texas are upon the Titans, so they are really F(bleep)k

OUthunder
11/21/2010, 10:28 PM
I guess we can hear the Vincent considering suicide rumors any day now.

I seriously doubt that he's intelligent enough to commit suicide. :D

kelloggOUballa
11/21/2010, 10:35 PM
VY to the Vikings!

XingTheRubicon
11/22/2010, 09:27 AM
8 year olds dude

ouleaf
11/22/2010, 09:45 AM
Think this is probably it for VY as a Titan. Fisher doesn't want to deal with this guy anymore, and I don't blame him. They need to look in a new direction get another guy to lead this franchise. Kerry Collins is serviceable for now, but I don't think you can go into next season with him as your starter. I doubt anyone is willing to trade for VY at this point, so they'll probably cut him after the end of the season and look for them to try and bring in someone else. Wouldn't be surprised if they give someone like Sage Rosenfels a call. Carson Palmer might be in need of employment after another sub-par season in Cincy. Might see them make a real run at Mike Vick, but I don't think Philly is gonna let him go at this point.

homb1978
11/22/2010, 09:48 AM
WHAT A ***** HORNSDOWN YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Jacie
11/22/2010, 11:14 AM
Might be a bit premature calling Vince Young's exit from the Titans. Bud Adams has a lot of money invested in him. 2010 is the final year of VY's contract, Bud might be able to re-sign him at a bargain price this time around (he got 1st-pick money despite being the 3rd pick in the 2006 draft). If anything, Vinnie has shown a propensity for come backs. Should the Titans go into a tailspin (currently 5-5) Jeff Fisher is going to be the next person called into Bud's office for a talk, not Vince.

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2010, 12:44 PM
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/Tacotoole/black_baby_crying.jpg

ouleaf
11/22/2010, 03:59 PM
Might be a bit premature calling Vince Young's exit from the Titans. Bud Adams has a lot of money invested in him. 2010 is the final year of VY's contract, Bud might be able to re-sign him at a bargain price this time around (he got 1st-pick money despite being the 3rd pick in the 2006 draft). If anything, Vinnie has shown a propensity for come backs. Should the Titans go into a tailspin (currently 5-5) Jeff Fisher is going to be the next person called into Bud's office for a talk, not Vince.

Bud is no doubt enamored with VY, but they are on the hook for almost $13MM is they don't cut him. Just doesn't make sense to keep him on that basis alone.

Look for the Texans to take a flier on him though. Schaub has been underwhelming this season and Texans fans will finally get the 05 draft pick that they really wanted.

ashley
11/22/2010, 04:03 PM
Bud is no doubt enamored with VY, but they are on the hook for almost $13MM is they don't cut him. Just doesn't make sense to keep him on that basis alone.

Look for the Texans to take a flier on him though. Schaub has been underwhelming this season and Texans fans will finally get the 05 draft pick that they really wanted.

The Texas didn't like him in the draft and sure won't like him not. Schaub has played like Montana compared to Young.

ouleaf
11/22/2010, 04:07 PM
The Texas didn't like him in the draft and sure won't like him not. Schaub has played like Montana compared to Young.

I'm not saying Texans bring in VY as a starter. He'll be backup until Schaub gets hurt or if he just continues to get worse. VY would be mostly a marketing tool for the Texans.

sooneron
11/22/2010, 04:21 PM
WHAT A ***** HORNSDOWN YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Run along now...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4148/5198442515_f39955eb6e_b.jpg

Man Talk!

sooneron
11/22/2010, 04:22 PM
And weren't the whorns just touting how Radio is better than Manning?

VA Sooner
11/22/2010, 04:23 PM
Hissy fit... sorry I missed it! Ha!!