PDA

View Full Version : How will we beat the pokes?

Rocko
11/21/2010, 03:29 AM
Trash talk is due of course, but aside from pure historical dominance how will we hold scoreboard over the Pokes in Stilly this year? Their offense has undeniably been spectacular this season, so how do we stop it?

*Que football nuts breaking down footage of NU vs OSU game, and statistical analysis!*

sooner59
11/21/2010, 03:36 AM
Osu will score 30+ point, and we will score more. Either we win that way or we blow it.

usaosooner
11/21/2010, 04:10 AM
We got to score in the 40's I know that much

soonerinkaty
11/21/2010, 04:12 AM
With a stick. Many times.

WA. Sooner
11/21/2010, 04:37 AM
Need to score in the 4th qtr

Octavian
11/21/2010, 05:20 AM
like they owe us rent

pappy
11/21/2010, 07:11 AM
like cops vs rodney king

oumartin
11/21/2010, 07:38 AM
My thoughts are it's going to go pretty much like the Baylor game but it could be either way. If OU gets going early like they did at Baylor they will run away with it. If OU gets behind early like the A&M and Mizzou game then I think OSU rolls.

My Opinion Matters
11/21/2010, 08:22 AM
Forefeiture is our only hope.

Sooner70
11/21/2010, 08:27 AM
Don't think so. Even if OU gets a jump on OSU, theyre going to be there. Their offense is exceptionally good, and OU's defense is suspect at best. Look what happened with Kansas. They hung with them awhile, but then it was too much.

OSU is a bonafide top 10 team. OU will have to play an inspired 4 quarter Florida State type effort, score TD's in red zone, no penalties, good D and no turnovers. Best D against Weeden & Co is to hold the ball for long, sustained periods. Keep their O off the field. The Sooners have a chance, but if they shoot themselves in the foot like they did against Mizzou and aTm, it's curtains.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/21/2010, 09:05 AM
Don't think so. Even if OU gets a jump on OSU, theyre going to be there. Their offense is exceptionally good, and OU's defense is suspect at best. Look what happened with Kansas. They hung with them awhile, but then it was too much.

OSU is a bonafide top 10 team. OU will have to play an inspired 4 quarter Florida State type effort, score TD's in red zone, no penalties, good D and no turnovers. Best D against Weeden & Co is to hold the ball for long, sustained periods. Keep their O off the field. The Sooners have a chance, but if they shoot themselves in the foot like they did against Mizzou and aTm, it's curtains.

So your saying that KU's d=OU's d? I don't think so. What I seen in last night and in the Tech is a healthy D line(I love A Train, but he should have never taken the field this year) starting to establish it's self. I know it's middle school football, but if OUr line gets pressure we have one of the best and youngest secondaries in nation IMO. If the d line plays they way it has the last two week, then we should be able to win. oSu is good but this is the same offense that we have played pretty good over the years at Tech. We just have to contain JB and I think the rest will fall into place. We need Landry to show up like he did in Waco! :gary:

SCSooner71
11/21/2010, 09:14 AM
We will put up half a hundred on them.

GrapevineSooner
11/21/2010, 09:21 AM
Let me put it this way...

I don't think I've seen our D-line put as much pressure on the QB as they did last night against Griffin and Baylor.

The fact they were able to do that makes me breathe a little easier about our chances next week.

That said, OSU will still probably put at least 30 on the board next Saturday. So it's on our offense to not let chances to put points on the board slip by.

CrimsonRez
11/21/2010, 09:25 AM
Brandon Weeden isn't near as mobile as Robert Griffin. That fact makes me feel good. What doesn't make me feel good is his knack to be able to throw the ball 60 yards down field and Blackmon run under it everytime.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/21/2010, 09:33 AM
Brandon Weeden isn't near as mobile as Robert Griffin. That fact makes me feel good. What doesn't make me feel good is his knack to be able to throw the ball 60 yards down field and Blackmon run under it everytime.

I hope they run Blackmon over the middle on the shallow crossing routes against us like they did against ku. One good lick from The Hammer or Q Carter and he might think twice about catching the football over the middle! Any word on how Box is doing? If he can't go Wort will have to step up and play smart! Wort looked pretty against Baylor.

MeMyself&Me
11/21/2010, 09:45 AM
like they owe us rent

That should be pretty easy. OU owns the state of Oklahoma and the Big 12. OSwho owes rent to OU for both. :D

Soonerus
11/21/2010, 09:57 AM
Weeden under throws Blackmon almost every pass...tell our guys...

Breadburner
11/21/2010, 10:24 AM
Lots of ways to do it.....We need to take care of the football....Control the clock by establishing the run.....Pressure Weeden or Shut-down Blackmon....Make sure we score TD's in Red-Zone....

fadada1
11/21/2010, 10:37 AM
nothing could be better than completely shutting them down, and having 25K OU fans left in the stadium for the second half.

SoonerBacker
11/21/2010, 10:39 AM
I'm not understanding all of the apparent "fear" over this game. We have dropped one more game than they have. We lost to aTm, but the team we faced was a different aTm team than the one that played osu - different QB and a different environment. Look at Nebraska - they beat osu, but lost to aTm in Collie Station.

Other than that, the results of the Sooners games have been very comparable to those of aggie-lite. Common opponents' scores are close to the same. Non-conference schedule? They were a little more impressive, but then again, I'm not so sure that our non-conference games weren't against tougher opponents.

All I'm saying is that all of this "how can we beat oSu" talk is unwarranted, in my opinion. We beat them the same way we have beaten them 80 times in the past! We go out and play SOONER football. If we do that, we will beat them - AGAIN.

CowboyMRW
11/21/2010, 10:43 AM
I'm not understanding all of the apparent "fear" over this game. We have dropped one more game than they have. We lost to aTm, but the team we faced was a different aTm team than the one that played osu - different QB and a different environment. Look at Nebraska - they beat osu, but lost to aTm in Collie Station.

Other than that, the results of the Sooners games have been very comparable to those of aggie-lite. Common opponents' scores are close to the same. Non-conference schedule? They were a little more impressive, but then again, I'm not so sure that our non-conference games weren't against tougher opponents.

All I'm saying is that all of this "how can we beat oSu" talk is unwarranted, in my opinion. We beat them the same way we have beaten them 80 times in the past! We go out and play SOONER football. If we do that, we will beat them - AGAIN.

To be fair they didn't have to play against a healthy Taylor Martinez

stoopified
11/21/2010, 10:46 AM
Keep OUr offense on the field and theirs off.

misplacedsooner
11/21/2010, 10:52 AM
i aint scared of the pokies at all... dont think bob and the gang is either. weeden will be sacked multiple times and be lucky to make it the whole game. i see ints for our guys. their d can not hold us and i dont see them scoring over 21 on our d. the only way we lose is to come out totally uninspired and lay an egg, boys, that aint going down like that. we win in stunning fashion and make a statement not only to the nation that has pumped up the ags but to all 300 of their fans and their excuses can begin to roll about why they lost and they can strike up the rasslin talk...oh, and maybe womans soccer.

SoonerBacker
11/21/2010, 11:06 AM
To be fair they didn't have to play against a healthy Taylor Martinez

To be fair, osu didn't play against Tannehill OR at Collie Station. I'm just saying that a&m is a different team now than the one you played in Stoolwater.

aero
11/21/2010, 11:07 AM
like a rented mule

delhalew
11/21/2010, 11:12 AM
It would be better for my blood pressure if we don't start by fumbling the snap.

wilson63
11/21/2010, 11:16 AM
Is this 2009 or 2010?..sounds like the same thread

aero
11/21/2010, 11:18 AM
Actually, we should beat them. It's aggie to talk about "shoulda, coulda" won games, but we very well could have been undefeated at this point. 2 away games that our opponents played as well as they could have and us not playing to our abilities. Both fairly close games within our reach. And both we would be favored in a rematch on any other field but their home. The Baylor game was refreshing in that we played as we should on the road. The quality of opponent and atmosphere in Waco wasn't equal to what it was in Columbia or College Station and certainly not what it will be in Stillwater but maybe it was just a good practice run. IF we play to our abilities, we WILL win.

texaspokieokie
11/21/2010, 11:20 AM
Actually, we should beat them. It's aggie to talk about "shoulda, coulda" won games, but we very well could have been undefeated at this point. 2 away games that our opponents played as well as they could have and us not playing to our abilities. Both fairly close games within our reach. And both we would be favored in a rematch on any other field but their home. The Baylor game was refreshing in that we played as we should on the road. The quality of opponent and atmosphere in Waco wasn't equal to what it was in Columbia or College Station and certainly not what it will be in Stillwater but maybe it was just a good practice run. IF we play to our abilities, we WILL win.

did this come from mack ???

misplacedsooner
11/21/2010, 11:27 AM

if we play to our abilities we are looking at another shutout.

NOVSooner
11/22/2010, 10:38 AM
who have they got besides weeden, hunter and blackmon? serious question. i see they lead the nation in offense but are 108th in pass defense (78th overall). but we know about their big 3, who else on offense is a concern? and yes, since we see the stats on their D, that means it's up to landry and the boys to do "what they're capable of".

soonerchk
11/22/2010, 10:41 AM
I think we will beat them by scoring more points than they do. Mark it down!

homb1978
11/22/2010, 10:43 AM
who have they got besides weeden, hunter and blackmon? serious question. i see they lead the nation in offense but are 108th in pass defense (78th overall). but we know about their big 3, who else on offense is a concern? and yes, since we see the stats on their D, that means it's up to landry and the boys to do "what they're capable of".

They have nobody. Absolutely nobody. :rolleyes:

stoops the eternal pimp
11/22/2010, 10:45 AM
cooper is a good one...randle is going to be a great back...they have had numerous players step up...i think the game with blackmon out helped that offense tremendously

btk108
11/22/2010, 10:49 AM
cooper is a good one...randle is going to be a great back...they have had numerous players step up...i think the game with blackmon out helped that ofeense tremendously

spell check! spell check! spell check!

stoops the eternal pimp
11/22/2010, 10:53 AM
:neg:

soonercastor
11/22/2010, 10:59 AM

LOL, I'm glad the coaches don't think like this or we'd be screwed. Those three alone make a HUGE difference.

NormanPride
11/22/2010, 11:07 AM
Our D goes the way our LBs go. If Lewis plays hard and Wort can tackle well then we'll be pretty dang good on D. Blackmon will get his, so just get used to it.

Our O usually goes the way Landry goes. Now, with the last few weeks we've been able to run the ball better. This allowed us to dominate on the road even when Landry was scrambling around like a fool half the time. If we can get any push on the OL then we should be ok there as well.

Soonerite
11/22/2010, 11:24 AM
Need to score in the 4th qtr

Hopefully we won't have to.

prrriiide
11/22/2010, 11:36 AM
It all depends on if Wilson remembers to get the playbook out of his desk drawer and on to the bus to Stoolwater.

NOVSooner
11/22/2010, 11:41 AM
LOL, I'm glad the coaches don't think like this or we'd be screwed. Those three alone make a HUGE difference.

No i'm not saying in any way we shouldn't be concerned with these 3, i was asking who else besides these 3. i know they are huge for their offense to run effectively but do they have other dependable wideouts, somebody or multiples to spell hunter on some series, etc? pay tention to the whole question ;)

SoonerAtKU
11/22/2010, 11:42 AM
who have they got besides weeden, hunter and blackmon? serious question.

Serious answer.

How many teams are fortunate enough to have quality players at the three skill positions? Ask Texas if they'd trade their top 3 at those positions for those 3 of OSU's. All they have is those three? How much more do you need outside of good line play (which they have)?

NOVSooner
11/22/2010, 01:36 PM
my point is this, if one of them goes down do they have reliable back-ups or other go-to guys? no one can replace broyles but we do have other go-to guys, no one can fully replace murray but we have other guys who step in and add various wrinkles, now landry, well that's a whole thread starter for some on this board :) so from what i gather they have the 3 main guys and a good line. that's all i was wonderin, haven't paid much attention to them this year

stoops the eternal pimp
11/22/2010, 01:39 PM
Have you watched osu play? The Randle kid is going to be a stud...with hunter healthy and him as well, they have plenty of skilled players..they have a pretty good group of WR's over there as well

osucowboy344
11/22/2010, 02:15 PM
Have you watched osu play? The Randle kid is going to be a stud...with hunter healthy and him as well, they have plenty of skilled players..they have a pretty good group of WR's over there as well

What are you talking about? Pokey don't have talent. I am willing to venture to say east of 7 national titles OU will win 78 to 3 and then Horns will be placed down and horn stickers will be given out at the stadium and placed upside down on the cars. Saxet Sucks

usaosooner
11/22/2010, 02:18 PM
I think our receiving corps is the best OSU has faced this year (Broyles,Stills,Franks coming on) Just got to get LJ in a groove early and I think our defense can slow them down enough to win

osucowboy344
11/22/2010, 02:22 PM
I think our receiving corps is the best OSU has faced this year (Broyles,Stills,Franks coming on) Just got to get LJ in a groove early and I think our defense can slow them down enough to win

Of course they are. thats why pokey don't stand a chance.

3rdgensooner
11/22/2010, 02:37 PM
We can't. We're doomed.

SoonerPr8r
11/22/2010, 03:41 PM
By leading all of their dates out of town. It will look something like this....
http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/1/9/2/36192.jpg?v=1

osucowboy344
11/22/2010, 03:43 PM
By leading all of their dates out of town. It will look something like this....
http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/1/9/2/36192.jpg?v=1

Quit stealing our spank bank material!

Soonerntxs
11/22/2010, 03:44 PM
ONE TD AFTER ANOTHER....& A COUPLE OF FG'S!

BOOMER!

OU 41

osu 38

SoonerMarkVA
11/22/2010, 04:44 PM
In order of importance:

* We CANNOT start the game like we did against Mizzou or A&M. If we give up a KO return for a TD, or turn the ball over immediately on the first offensive play, watch out. Our guys just aren't mentally tough enough to bounce back effectively from that, not to mention the ridiculous pump of adrenaline that'll give the Pork faithful.

* The O must capitalize on the red zone. More than two field goals in the first 3 qtrs, and things will be looking bad.

* The defense has to hold it together, enough to slow down their offensive production to the upper 20s/lower 30s. They can't let the flood gates open.

These are all things we can do. If this game were in Norman, we'd win by 20+. If we can just play with some confidence, and not fold mentally, we'll win, just as we did at Baylor.

Okie35
11/22/2010, 05:35 PM

Yea they have Randle and Cooper who is reliable as well.

Pricetag
11/22/2010, 06:42 PM
And Bowling. Tracy Moore is pretty decent, too.

osucowboy344
11/22/2010, 07:04 PM
And Bowling. Tracy Moore is pretty decent, too.

No they aint. They pokey! Upside horns!

85sooners
11/22/2010, 07:19 PM
What are you talking about? Pokey don't have talent. I am willing to venture to say east of 7 national titles OU will win 78 to 3 and then Horns will be placed down and horn stickers will be given out at the stadium and placed upside down on the cars. Saxet Sucksphuck u wannebee sooner!!

osucowboy344
11/22/2010, 07:22 PM
phuck u wannebee sooner!!

Quit trying to steal our sheep!!!!

SoonerTony
11/22/2010, 07:39 PM
We can't possibly win!
They have the greatest offense on earth and a brand new 3/4 full stadium.
DOOM!

osucowboy344
11/22/2010, 07:41 PM
We can't possibly win!
They have the greatest offense on earth and a brand new 3/4 full stadium.
DOOM!

We fill the other 1/4 with sheep and goat! We won't win though because Boomer has more horses than pokey! Pokey will have to score 85 points to hang with them sooner! I expect pokey to score 10 points! Saxet Sucks!

OU_Sooners75
11/22/2010, 07:46 PM
Trash talk is due of course, but aside from pure historical dominance how will we hold scoreboard over the Pokes in Stilly this year? Their offense has undeniably been spectacular this season, so how do we stop it?

*Que football nuts breaking down footage of NU vs OSU game, and statistical analysis!*

If memory serves correctly, OSU had the worlds greatest offense in 2007, 2008, and 2009. Yet, for some reason, they were unable to beat OU!

mdklatt
11/22/2010, 09:10 PM
It all depends on if Wilson remembers to get the playbook out of his desk drawer and on to the bus to Stoolwater.

And if Landry realizes that Broyles isn't the only receiver that made the trip.

mdklatt
11/22/2010, 09:18 PM
who have they got besides weeden, hunter and blackmon?

That's enough to put is in a world of hurt if Zombie Road Sooners show up. Randle is scary, too. Blackmon isn't the only receiver to worry about. Cooper (TE?) had a good game against Kansas, and Antiem (sp?) has made some big plays in the past.

The Baylor game gave me a little hope, so now I'm steeling for a mere assraping instead of a total skull****ing. This is the biggest game in the history of oSu football. This is like us playing Texas for a national championship. In Norman. At night. I hope I'm wrong. :O

mdklatt
11/22/2010, 09:20 PM
If memory serves correctly, OSU had the worlds greatest offense in 2007, 2008, and 2009. Yet, for some reason, they were unable to beat OU!

Was our O-line getting pushed like a stroller in 2007 or 2008? They were last year, but the game was in Norman and the oSu QB was gimpy.

misplacedsooner
11/22/2010, 09:24 PM
those other receivers are no better than our redshirts and guys that never see the field for us. none of them would be in our rotation.

Whet
11/22/2010, 09:37 PM
a pig in a poke comes to mind

Sooner Brewcrew
11/23/2010, 09:39 AM
I think we will have to outscore them and we will have to put pressure on theier QB so he doesn't have time to get the ball in blackmon's hands.

Howzit
11/23/2010, 10:05 AM
like step on dean's weener.