PDA

View Full Version : Who will root for Texas over Texas A&M?

MamaMia
11/21/2010, 01:16 AM
We need Texas to beat Texas A&M assuming we beat oSu. I know its a tough pill to swallow. :pop:

Soonerman82
11/21/2010, 01:17 AM
Never ever ever ever root for texas.

hotshot13422
11/21/2010, 01:17 AM
No we don't...

If it is a three way tie with OSU, A&M, and OU, we move on over them.

I don't know what you are thinking of

osucowboy344
11/21/2010, 01:18 AM
We need Texas to beat Texas A&M assuming we beat oSu. I know its a tough pill to swallow. :pop:

If OU beats OSU, then they will win the south. In case of a 3 way tie, they take the highest BCS ranked team which would be OU.

MyT Oklahoma
11/21/2010, 01:19 AM
I be cheering for the Aggies irregardless.

MamaMia
11/21/2010, 01:20 AM
Its a BCS thing. We need Texas A&M to lose if we beat oSu.

Blue
Me. I don't want any shennanigans.

jumperstop
Yeah we don't have to have aTm lose. Basically the osu game is the Big 12 semifinal.

jumperstop
11/21/2010, 01:21 AM

No we don't.

hotshot13422

No we don't. We will be ranked higher than A&M if we beat OSU

GKeeper316
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon5.gif Who will root for *?

not me. ever.

MamaMia
11/21/2010, 01:23 AM
If OU beats OSU, then they will win the south. In case of a 3 way tie, they take the highest BCS ranked team which would be OU. According to the rules I believe that since Texas A&M beat us, we would have to be ranked two teams ahead of them in the BCS rankings to be able to play in the Championship game.

jumperstop
11/21/2010, 01:23 AM
aTm is Tech in 2008 three way tie

badger
11/21/2010, 01:24 AM
No worries Mama - pollsters are dumb. They don't care who the wins and losses are against when it comes to records, they will neatly arrange all zero-loss teams at the top of the poll, followed by all one-loss teams, followed by all two-loss teams, followed by all three-loss teams, with very few exceptions.

As such, by virtue of the fact that we will be a two-loss team and aggie will be a three-loss team, we'll be ranked ahead of A&M, and unless we are the bottom 2-loss and they are the top 3-loss, we will be ranked enough ahead that it won't matter in the * tiebreaker.

Texas A&M is as much a non-factor as Texas is at this point... will the Aggies get one of those "welcome to the beatbytexasa&m.com bowl" banners going like their big brothers at the championship game? :rolleyes:

jumperstop
11/21/2010, 01:25 AM
According to the rules I believe that since Texas A&M beat us, we would have to be ranked two teams ahead of them in the BCS rankings to be able to play in the Championship game.

And if we beat osu that'll easily happen

osucowboy344
11/21/2010, 01:25 AM
According to the rules I believe that since Texas A&M beat us, we would have to be ranked two teams ahead of them in the BCS rankings to be able to play in the Championship game.

You might be right. I just heard that the highest bcs team goes in 3 way tie scenario.

soonerbub
11/21/2010, 01:27 AM
That's right Mama

MamaMia
11/21/2010, 01:32 AM
You might be right. I just heard that the highest bcs team goes in 3 way tie scenario.

I believe its more than that though. Even if we are ranked ahead of Texas A&M in the end, we will have to be ranked 2 better. If they end up ranked say.....9th and we're 8th; they still go. We will have to be ranked 7th to go, since they beat us.

SoonerBacker
11/21/2010, 01:35 AM
I believe its more than that though. Even if we are ranked ahead of Texas A&M in the end, we will have to be ranked 2 better. If they end up ranked say.....9th and we're 8th; they still go. We will have to be ranked 7th to go, since they beat us.

If we beat osu, we will be ranked at least 2 places ahead of them. A win over * isn't going to do anything for their BCS ranking. On the other hand, a win over aggie-lite in stoolwater will move us up in the BCS rather nicely.

Soonerfan88
11/21/2010, 01:35 AM
We are currently 14th with .4728 and Aggie is 19th with .2788. Factor in the boost from a win over OSU and there in no way other than massive voter shenanigans that Aggie will come close to OU in the BCS.

Never, never, never, ever root for *!

MamaMia
11/21/2010, 01:36 AM
I hate to say this guys but if you want OU to play for the conference championship game then we need Texas to win and we need to beat oSu soundly.

Okie35
11/21/2010, 01:37 AM
I don't give a **** who wins but I think * can beat them. Why? Because its a rivalry game.

MamaMia
11/21/2010, 01:37 AM
My head hurts. :D

badger
11/21/2010, 01:47 AM
Man, aggies are annoying... but so are whorns... hmmm...shaggybevo for your viewing pleasure:

SAPPvfh7S-A

TXBOOMER
11/21/2010, 01:49 AM
If we beat OSU we will be ranked at least 2 ahead of aTm in the BCS. They have 3 losses and 3 crappy out of conference wins. texass may beat them because it isa rivalry and it is in Austin. But I won't hold my breath.

OUNC06
11/21/2010, 01:51 AM
I hate to say this guys but if you want OU to play for the conference championship game then we need Texas to win and we need to beat oSu soundly.

I hate to say this but you don't have a clue.

badger
11/21/2010, 01:54 AM

It will crush any remaining hopes and dreams of aggie AND aggy. What is there not to have a clue about - CRUSH THEIR HOPES AND DREAMS!!!!

MamaMia
11/21/2010, 02:07 AM

I don't have a clue about what? :confused:

We need to be ranked two spots above Texas A&M to play in the Conference Championship game. So that there will be no doubt, we need to beat oSu soundly, and for Texas A&M to drop, they need to lose to Texas.

tommieharris91
11/21/2010, 02:10 AM

3-way tie will come down to BCS rankings. OU, barring something incredibly stupid, will win that if the Sooners win next weekend. ATM has an OOC loss and osu will be coming off a loss.

MeMyself&Me
11/21/2010, 02:11 AM
MamaMia, I like you but you're not thinking clearly on this. The order already is OSU then OU then aTm. If OU beats OSU, OSU will move down and will likely be behind OU... VERY likely. If aTm beats Tejas, their record will improve but strength of schedule will get worse. Also, aTm has 3 total losses which will be factored by the BCS.

IF OU and aTm win this weekend, the order will be OU, OSU, aTm. AND even if OU is behind OSU by only one spot, OU will go. OSU and OU will be cleary above aTm.

aTm is only a part of the issue on a technicality.

FirstandGoal
11/21/2010, 02:11 AM
I don't have a clue about what? :confused:

We need to be ranked two spots above Texas A&M to play in the Conference Championship game. So that there will be no doubt, we need to beat oSu soundly, and for Texas A&M to drop, they need to lose to Texas.

Long as we win out Mama, we should be just fine. No way eATMe closes on us in the polls.

MeMyself&Me
11/21/2010, 02:13 AM
It's that third loss, the one out of conference that OU and OSU don't have, for aTm that is going to be the killer for them.

MamaMia
11/21/2010, 02:19 AM
I hope y'all are right. I can not stand texass and I would really feel awful for us to be in the spot of needing them to win. I really want OU to play in the Conference Championship game and I just hate taking chances. :)

So...y'all don't think its a possibility that Texas A&M would end up one spot behind us if they beat Texas soundly and we beat oSu?

BaronVonAggie
11/21/2010, 02:40 AM
You guys might not root for A&M but I dont for one second believe you will ever root for TU to win a game, ever.

You want us to beat them 50-0 admit it.

Sooner Eclipse
11/21/2010, 02:40 AM
My head hurts. :D

Mama, here are the tie breaker rules.

1. The records of the three teams will be compared against each other
2. The records of the three teams will be compared within their division
3. The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5 and 6)
4. The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents.
5. The highest ranked team in the first Bowl Championship Series poll following the completion of Big 12 regular season conference play shall be the representative in the Big 12 Championship Game, unless two of the tied teams are ranked within one spot of the other in the BCS poll. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the Big 12 Championship Game.
6. The team with the best overall winning percentage (excluding exempted games) shall be the representative.
7. The representative will be chosen by draw.

If OU and aTm win next week, the worst case scenario is that OU wins a close game w osu and the BCS rankings look something like this.

11 oSu
12 OU
13 aTm

This is not likely but is a possibility. Our SoS should move us above osu but if not we still end up going as long as we remain no more than 1 spot below osu. Even in this scenario we go over osu due to the wording of rule 5 regarding the head to head of the 2 top ranked teams.

We should in not drop below aTm in any scenario because their 3rd loss would keep their BCS average lower unless we lose to osu and it wouldn't matter anyway at that point.

This actually would be the most awesome scenario because we would end up using *'s crybaby clause added to the tiebreaker rules after their perceived slight in 08 to go to the B12CCG this year. Austin would explode and would have to drive down to dance on the ashes.

Bonecrusher#31
11/21/2010, 02:46 AM
You guys might not root for A&M but I dont for one second believe you will ever root for TU to win a game, ever.

You want us to beat them 50-0 admit it.

I do ... Plus I think it knocks them outta even going to a bowl..:D

sooner59
11/21/2010, 02:51 AM
A&M has no chance of coming with one spot of us in the BCS if we beat osu. Fact. If we win, we're in. Watch * lose and smile and laugh. Its easy and fun.

proud gonzo
11/21/2010, 02:51 AM
Even if it DID work so that A&M had to lose for us to be on top, that's all I'd be rooting for. I don't care who UT is playing or what the score needs to be or why. Even if (in some hypothetical scenario) our chance at going to the national championship BCS bowl relied solely on UT winning a specific game, I would not root for UT to win that game. I might root for them to fall into a giant pile of sh*t (and honestly, probably have) but not to win.

MamaMia
11/21/2010, 02:59 AM
If Texas A&M beats Texas and we beat oSu, we have to be 2 spots ahead of Texas A&M to play for the Conference Championship. Thats what needs to happen. I sure do hope thats how it turns out.

sooner59
11/21/2010, 03:12 AM
We are currently ranked 14. Osu is currently ranked 10. A&M is currently ranked 19. We don't know what the polls will show tomorrow, but with 3 losses, I can assure you that A&M will not be ahead of us. That said, even if they are one spot behind us tomorrow, they will not be one spot behind us the next week if we beat the #10 team in the nation on the road and A&M beats a team that isn't even going to a bowl game on the road. Seriously, don't worry yourself over this Mama, just know that if we win, we are in. Simple as that. And enjoy A&M beating *. Its a good thing.

proud gonzo
11/21/2010, 03:14 AM
it's okay, keep explaining it to her. She'll get it eventually.

MamaMia
11/21/2010, 03:21 AM
it's okay, keep explaining it to her. She'll get it eventually.

Do you get that "If Texas A&M beats Texas and we beat oSu, we have to be 2 spots ahead of Texas A&M to play for the Conference Championship. Thats what needs to happen. I sure do hope thats how it turns out", or are you posting insults just to be a smart ***?

I'm guessing the latter since you've never had anything of an intellectual value to bring to the table when it comes to the X's and O's of football or the BCS.

proud gonzo
11/21/2010, 03:23 AM
I get that you keep repeating it and that all these other helpful people keep trying to explain why you are incorrect and you continue to ignore them.

Blue
11/21/2010, 03:24 AM
I get it mama. Theres no telling what pollsters will do considering we got the edge the last time over Texas. They could put us well behind A&M. I dont think they will, but its possible. So Texas might as well go ahead and beat em.

MamaMia
11/21/2010, 03:28 AM
I get that you keep repeating it and that all these other helpful people keep trying to explain why you are incorrect and you continue to ignore them.

My statement is not incorrect, neither are a lot of the statements that have been made that explain that such a scenario would be unlikely.

sooner59
11/21/2010, 03:33 AM
I honestly do not see how any pollsters could look at a 9-2 OU team beating a top 10 team and a 3-loss A&M team beating a team with a losing record given the current gap (even taking into account the win over Nebraska) and vote them within even one spot. In the end, we would end up around #10 and A&M will end up around #15, IMO.

MamaMia
11/21/2010, 03:39 AM

and for your information, I have not ignored what anyone has said and I have appreciated the input.

Blue
11/21/2010, 03:47 AM
Who was A&Ms OOC loss too? I could see folks putting them ahead of us due to last week. The computers....no.

MamaMia
11/21/2010, 04:13 AM
Who was A&Ms OOC loss too? I could see folks putting them ahead of us due to last week. The computers....no.They've lost to Oklahoma State, Arkansas and Missouri.

oudavid1
11/21/2010, 04:15 AM
"f(bleep)ck Texas!!!!!"

SCSooner71
11/21/2010, 05:21 AM
I root for a sink hole to take them both down!

MeMyself&Me
11/21/2010, 09:59 AM
If Texas A&M beats Texas and we beat oSu, we have to be 2 spots ahead of Texas A&M to play for the Conference Championship. Thats what needs to happen. I sure do hope thats how it turns out.

Do you get that "If Texas A&M beats Texas and we beat oSu, we have to be 2 spots ahead of Texas A&M to play for the Conference Championship. Thats what needs to happen. I sure do hope thats how it turns out", or are you posting insults just to be a smart ***?

I'm guessing the latter since you've never had anything of an intellectual value to bring to the table when it comes to the X's and O's of football or the BCS.

Yes you're right but you're ignoring one part of it. For aTm to win the south by being within one spot of OU, OSU will have to fall behind both. OSU is not going to fall behind aTm.

The order of finish if OU and aTm win this weekend is OU <small gap> OSU <large gap> aTm. It's more likely that OU will finish just one spot behind OSU than just one spot behind aTm. aTm is just not going to make that kind of move upward.

spatton713
11/21/2010, 11:20 AM
Mama, here are the tie breaker rules.

2. The records of the three teams will be compared within their division
3. The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5 and 6)
4. The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents.
5. The highest ranked team in the first Bowl Championship Series poll following the completion of Big 12 regular season conference play shall be the representative in the Big 12 Championship Game, unless two of the tied teams are ranked within one spot of the other in the BCS poll. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the Big 12 Championship Game.
6. The team with the best overall winning percentage (excluding exempted games) shall be the representative.
7. The representative will be chosen by draw.

If OU and aTm win next week, the worst case scenario is that OU wins a close game w osu and the BCS rankings look something like this.

11 oSu
12 OU
13 aTm

This is not likely but is a possibility. Our SoS should move us above osu but if not we still end up going as long as we remain no more than 1 spot below osu. Even in this scenario we go over osu due to the wording of rule 5 regarding the head to head of the 2 top ranked teams.

We should in not drop below aTm in any scenario because their 3rd loss would keep their BCS average lower unless we lose to osu and it wouldn't matter anyway at that point.

This actually would be the most awesome scenario because we would end up using *'s crybaby clause added to the tiebreaker rules after their perceived slight in 08 to go to the B12CCG this year. Austin would explode and would have to drive down to dance on the ashes.

i am laying in bed and i just started laughing so hard for like a minute straight hahahaha omg

chisdavis
11/21/2010, 11:35 AM
I guess I don't quite understand. The very first rule of the tiebreaker between 3 teams is this:

So say A&M beats UT, they will be 9-3

The winner of OU-OSU will be 10-2 which means the winner would go to the Big 12 championship automatically right?

Am I missing something here?

MeMyself&Me
11/21/2010, 11:37 AM
I guess I don't quite understand. The very first rule of the tiebreaker between 3 teams is this:

So say A&M beats UT, they will be 9-3

The winner of OU-OSU will be 10-2 which means the winner would go to the Big 12 championship automatically right?

Am I missing something here?

That's the part you're missing. They'll be 1-1 against each other.

chisdavis
11/21/2010, 11:45 AM
Yeah, thought I was a genius there. I guess it just seems logical to compare overall records in a 3 way tiebreaker scenario where each team is 1-1 against each other.

oumartin
11/21/2010, 11:49 AM
mama, It's the three loses that will keep A&M at least two spots behind OU if OU wins.

Losses are huge in the BCS formula. OU just needs to beat OSU and trust me they will be at least two ahead of A&M in the BCS poll.

MeMyself&Me
11/21/2010, 12:06 PM
Yeah, thought I was a genius there. I guess it just seems logical to compare overall records in a 3 way tiebreaker scenario where each team is 1-1 against each other.

They do, it's just further down the list of tie breakers. For what it's worth, the flaw in the whole tie breaker rules is that it takes out of conference games/data into account at all. In determining conference or division champs, I think it's ridiculous that out of conference stuff is used, even in the tie breaker. Would rather going to point totals and such or even just flipping a coin. And yes, even using the BCS to break the tie is using out of conference stuff.

DCsooner22
11/21/2010, 12:10 PM
Yes, badger said it on page 1 - 0-losses, followed by 1-losses, 2-losses, etc., etc.

I just can't cheer for *. I did once, and I know others here did too. And it was ONLY b/c the most unlikely, mother-of-all-no-win situations, seas are turing red, floods appearing, sky falling, plagues taking first-borns, dogs and cats living together, can't possibly believe it ACTUALLY came down to THIS, why hath HE forsaken me...? - SUC vs * for all the marbles.

And you had to choose, b/c you just knew that the Heaven-sent meteor wouldn't actually fall on the stadium. And it didn't.

And I know more than just me still feels dirty for it. But I could not let SUC be the first to "claim" three titles in a row (yes, I know it would have been ridiculous, but you know they would have...).

So, I'll easily be cheering on the Ags this week - I suggest you do the same.

Plus, the Ags did give us the List-eater, which is ALWAYS funny for a "remember-when" laugh:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,141403,00.html

http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=393439&forum_id=5

CrimsonJim
11/21/2010, 12:20 PM
Never. EVER. Root for sexat. NEVAR!

BajaOklahoma
11/21/2010, 12:41 PM
I've actually felt so sad for texas fans that I have not talked football to them at all this ear. I think that makes it harder on them. ;)

Joe
11/21/2010, 02:36 PM

Why do you hate logic?

GDC
11/21/2010, 02:44 PM
An OU fan never roots for Texass under any circumstances.

XingTheRubicon
11/21/2010, 02:59 PM

what if they're mulling over a suicide attempt

Dan Thompson
11/21/2010, 03:04 PM
ME.

The only team I am always against is USC, ND, N, MIZZ, ATM, etc.

FirstandGoal
11/21/2010, 04:23 PM
I get it mama. Theres no telling what pollsters will do considering we got the edge the last time over Texas. They could put us well behind A&M. I dont think they will, but its possible. So Texas might as well go ahead and beat em.

Another point I would like to make here is that 2 years ago the pollsters put us ahead and it proved to be the right decision as we bitch slapped booger and Co. to win the title that year. Should it come down to a similar scenario this year, hopefully that is remembered.

Yeah, win out and we're in :)

THEE12NV
11/21/2010, 05:50 PM
A&M has 3 losses if they win out, OU and OSU will have two losses each (assuming OU wins this weekend). Remember, the BCS takes the whole season into account when computing the BCS score, not just conference games. The aggies will not comes close to OU in the BCS poll.

MamaMia
11/21/2010, 11:46 PM
mama, It's the three loses that will keep A&M at least two spots behind OU if OU wins.

Losses are huge in the BCS formula. OU just needs to beat OSU and trust me they will be at least two ahead of A&M in the BCS poll.

Good then.

ouwasp
11/22/2010, 12:43 AM
I can count on one hand the number of times I've wanted to see tex win (unless they're playing osu). Won't be adding to that sum anytime soon.

bri
11/22/2010, 01:24 AM
I'm glad the 100th poster to explain the same rule finally got through. Now we can put this behind us and move on to figuring out how magnets work.

WA. Sooner
11/22/2010, 01:32 AM
Not rooting for texas. Them not being bowl eligible is priceless after a trip to the NC game last year. Hook that horns!

sooner518
11/22/2010, 09:16 AM
I'm glad the 100th poster to explain the same rule finally got through. Now we can put this behind us and move on to figuring out how magnets work.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/sooner518/farks/magnets.jpg

OUmillenium
11/22/2010, 09:33 AM
I will forgo my usual "I never route for UTerus" rant. I will be pulling for the whorns since my hatred for AnM is way up after the loss in collie station. UTerus has bombed their season already so I hope they can ruin the aggies as well.

ocsooner
11/22/2010, 09:50 AM
aTm will win this game - saxeT made a deal with all the remaining Big12 teams this summer during the conference realignment talks - "Anyone who stays can beat us this year".

We still go, because we will have the head to head over oswho

soonerchk
11/22/2010, 10:12 AM
aTm will win this game - saxeT made a deal with all the remaining Big12 teams this summer during the conference realignment talks - "Anyone who stays can beat us this year".

We still go, because we will have the head to head over oswho

Does that mean UCLA is joining the Big12?!?!?!

virginiasooner
11/22/2010, 10:14 AM
I've looked deep into my heart and thought hard and prayed about it, and my conclusion is NO FRIGGING WAY. NEVER.

But if the Aggies have an epic collapse and lose by less than a field goal, I won't be tearing out my hair.

badger
11/22/2010, 10:26 AM

For the record, the Aggies said the same thing a few weeks ago, reasoning they could just hold out for a Kansas miracle and us beating our little sister.

Alas, they are now on the outside looking in. Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing either team lose, because both fanbases know how to do a hardcore internet meltdown

ocsooner
11/22/2010, 10:36 AM

That's one step back to being the Big 12. CU for UCLA? I'm ok with that trade.

soonerchk
11/22/2010, 10:38 AM
That's one step back to being the Big 12. CU for UCLA? I'm ok with that trade.

Throw in Arkansas and we've got ourselves a conference!

texaspokieokie
11/22/2010, 10:53 AM

yep,but they call it the pac-10.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/22/2010, 01:54 PM
Count me in on NOT rooting for *saxet*. I don't who wins this game.

:gary: