PDA

View Full Version : For Those Who Went to Waco...

SicEmBaylor
11/20/2010, 11:52 PM
How was your experience?

picasso
11/20/2010, 11:53 PM
I'm betting it was sexual.

OUEngr1990
11/20/2010, 11:53 PM
groovy man..

CaliBornSoonerBred
11/20/2010, 11:56 PM
Not too bad for me. At bww watching the UFC fights to finish off the night

OUinFLA
11/20/2010, 11:59 PM
Why are there so many Zima dispensers?

SicEmBaylor
11/21/2010, 12:16 AM
I'm betting it was sexual.

My experiences in Waco never were.

StoopTroup
11/21/2010, 12:18 AM
I've been there twice and we screwed BU both times.

MamaMia
11/21/2010, 12:31 AM
I've always enjoyed going to the Baylor games in Waco. I'll never forget the year I went when 'Q' was playing. Some Baylor girl asked me "Why do you keep booing your best player?" :D

sooner59
11/21/2010, 12:41 AM
I don't know about everyone else, but I noticed some anal tonight. Just sayin.

MeMyself&Me
11/21/2010, 12:46 AM
ESPN announcers mentioned that Baylor fans stood and clapped when Finch left the field. I haven't seen that kind of sportsmanship from any group of fans since I played as a kid. I miss that as opposed the dooshery we typically see today. Kudos to Baylor.

3rdgensooner
11/21/2010, 12:48 AM
ESPN announcers mentioned that Baylor fans stood and clapped when Finch left the field. I haven't seen that kind of sportsmanship from any group of fans since I played as a kid. I miss that as opposed the dooshery we typically see today. Kudos to Baylor.And at that moment I thought to myself: Have these guys never been to a college football game?

I don't recall attending a game where in that circumstance the spectators weren't standing and clapping.

SicEmBaylor
11/21/2010, 12:57 AM
And at that moment I thought to myself: Have these guys never been to a college football game?

I don't recall attending a game where in that circumstance the spectators weren't standing and clapping.

Students typically stand during the game, but the alumni and other fans usually don't. It depends on which side of the stadium you're on.

jumperstop
11/21/2010, 01:16 AM
ESPN announcers mentioned that Baylor fans stood and clapped when Finch left the field. I haven't seen that kind of sportsmanship from any group of fans since I played as a kid. I miss that as opposed the dooshery we typically see today. Kudos to Baylor.

Was there and I don't think there were any Baylor fans left at that point. Always a good trip to Baylor though, this was my second time. People are nice, and it helps that we win too.

TXBOOMER
11/21/2010, 01:57 AM
Wings at Hooters were extra greasy. Did not like the jumbotron malfunctioning. Other than that it was all good.

MeMyself&Me
11/21/2010, 02:02 AM
And at that moment I thought to myself: Have these guys never been to a college football game?

The reference was to fan respect to an injured player leaving the field. When I was young, I saw it all the time for opposing players. Not so much anymore. I wasn't there to witness this instance, just heard the announcers mention it. But I've been to plenty of games in plenty of venues.

SouthCarolinaSooner
11/21/2010, 02:14 AM
It was pretty chill at first. Then a bunch of "college students" moved in across the street and started snooping around. Didn't think much of it to start, then the ATF showed up. Party over man, they started shooting and pretty soon my house was burning and ****. Not a great experience.

47straight
11/21/2010, 03:55 AM
Kind of crappy because the baylor kicker kept faking getting hit and then some of the baylor players thought they were badasses and started some stuff going into halftime.

SicEmBaylor
11/21/2010, 04:01 AM
I don't really mean the game itself. The game itself was an abomination that I'd like to have performed an abortion on and never think of it again.

I just wanted to know if our fans behaved, you were treated well, if you enjoyed the stadium, did you visit the campus, etc.

bringit
11/21/2010, 07:33 AM
I visited the Dr. Pepper place once

BoonesFarmSooner
11/21/2010, 08:57 AM
The trip to Waco is always one of my favorites. Drove up from Houston, got tickets for $15, went to George's Bar and got a dominant chicken fried steak. Drank a few Big-O's, talked about our lifelong ambition and stumbled out of that place.

Drove down ValleyMills to the Salty Dog and that place was so freaking cool! That would be a great place to watch games on a Saturday with all the TVs. Sat outside and the owner "Big Randy" bought us shots.

The stadium is so small, it's hard to find a bad seat in the place. The only thing that sucked was the 2 hour drive back to Houston. And this hangover.

texaspokieokie
11/21/2010, 09:03 AM
been there 4 times, & always enjoyed it.
would've gone yesterday, but it was a nite game.

don't like to drive in dark in places where i'm not familar.

i'm sick of nite games. OU got day games in the hottest month & nite games in coolest month. (not totally)

actually, weather cooperated this season, but i don't like all the nite games.

(rant over)

main point, Baylor game is nice trip. Also, it's much closer than norman.

soonerlaw
11/21/2010, 09:15 AM
Drove down from Dallas and like okiepokie, been there 4 times. Always a great experience. Fans are nice, stadium is pretty nice and like someone said, not a bad seat in the house. I got my tix direct from Baylor for $50 and sat on the 30 yardline 7 rows up from the field. You can never get that close for a Sooners game without paying big, big bucks. Will do it again next year.

Soonermagik
11/21/2010, 09:21 AM
I didn't go, but on tv they seemed classy. It was really nice to see them clap for Finch when he got back up.

auto
11/21/2010, 10:33 AM
Wanted to go, but wanted some place to eat on Sunday, and did not want have to drive all the way back to Dallas.;) :D

cjames317
11/21/2010, 10:44 AM
I recommend Vitek's (16th and Speight) for the next trip. You can park there, enjoy some drinks, food, football on TVs, washers, outdoor fireplace, then take their shuttle to/from the stadium.

jumperstop
11/21/2010, 10:55 AM
Forgot last night, but the jumbotron fail pissed me off until they kinda fixed it half way through the game.

spatton713
11/21/2010, 11:01 AM
awesome experience...... great fans great food lots of beer and a W

fwsooner22
11/21/2010, 12:01 PM
Took my high school son and we sat in the end zone with lots of students around. Don't think my son is going to Baylor. Just sayin'

WestAustinSooner
11/21/2010, 12:23 PM
This was my third or fourth game in Waco. It's always nice to be able to walk up to a ticket booth and buy tickets for $50 each. We sat on the Baylor side on about the ten yard line. Fans were very nice. We had a few beers at George's tent and watched Ole Miss blow the LSU game. Had a "Gut Pack" from Vitek's trailer on the way to the game. It was pretty good. After thh half we went over to the visitor side and creeped down toward the OU bench. Very cool to be able to see our guys up that close. One particular "Baylor Line" goofball was running his mouth the entire fourth quarter, offending even his own students. He said, "....At least we don't have to go back to Oklahoma." I thought, gee, there are about five towns in Oklahoma I'd rather live in than Waco.

I took my 12 year old son, so we left a little early to get back to Austin. I miss the good old days of hitting Sonny T's for some ribald fun. Overall, Baylor is the most bush league of all the Big 12, but mostly the folks are nice and it is really a good old fashioned football watching experience.

soonerinabilene
11/21/2010, 12:38 PM
Viteks Gut Pack is teh win. frito pie with brisket sausage and bbq sauce. great! Waco is always a great trip. Five Guys Burgers and fries calling my name for lunch before i head home

StoopTroup
11/21/2010, 01:00 PM
At least most folks didn't have to go back to Austin. Of course...right now it's probably a lot easier to take.

bluedogok
11/21/2010, 01:36 PM
Not bad, only an hour and a half to get home to South Austin.

SicEmBaylor
11/21/2010, 02:50 PM
Forgot last night, but the jumbotron fail pissed me off until they kinda fixed it half way through the game.

I hope they fixed the sound system. It's the worst I have ever heard at any stadium. It sounds like they're piping out 8bit sound.

ouwasp
11/21/2010, 06:10 PM
First time, we'll go back...

Got good, cheap seats. Traffic wasn't bad at all. Parking was close, only $5. Liked the "old school" look/feel to the stadium. The jumbotron thing was no good, but technical probs could happen anywhere.

Neg...as daughter and I were going downstairs to get a couple of those fantastic corn dogs I heard this comment behind me: "I've never seen so many Sooner fans in my life. It's disgusting." Was it just us or the fact thousands of us could freely show up and attend; a lack of Bear fans? As I turned off at the corndog stand I glanced at the talker. A flat-billed hat-turned-sideways geek with long hair. No biggie.

The other neg was a dead battery delayed our start yesterday, and my daughter's work schedule meant we had to leave early this morning, didn't get to shop around. Next time hopefully we'll have more time. :)

OKLA21FAN
11/22/2010, 09:11 AM
I hope they fixed the sound system. It's the worst I have ever heard at any stadium. It sounds like they're piping out 8bit sound.

Been to wacky Waco 4 out of the last 5 games, and this was just another good time. Love the Baylor Line tradition and love hearing a band belt out the music and not just play it. RV parking is cheap, plentiful, and close to the stadium. Already planning the return trip for next season.

bonkuba
11/22/2010, 10:03 AM
We made a spur of the moment decision at around 11AM and bought tix online and hooked up the RV and headed down.

Overall good experience...other then walking up to row 62 in section A....whew :D .

My kids loved it....weather was really nice (other than a little wind).

Fans were really good. I actually admired them cheering wildly for their team even though they were getting it handed to them.

We will be back.

WichitaSooner
11/22/2010, 10:55 AM
The reference was to fan respect to an injured player leaving the field. When I was young, I saw it all the time for opposing players. Not so much anymore. I wasn't there to witness this instance, just heard the announcers mention it. But I've been to plenty of games in plenty of venues.

Where do you go to watch live games, for pete's sake?????? I go to a lot of college games in a lot of places and I've NEVER seen fans NOT stand and clap for an injured player, oppostion or not...

Sounds like you go to a lot of philly games. lol

EstablishedSooner1967
11/22/2010, 11:23 AM
very quiet.... people were nice, good small school atmosphere. But of all the road games I have been to over the last 11 years. Its by far the quietest stadium.

Sooners78
11/22/2010, 12:30 PM
I went in 2002. It was one of my favorite away game experiences. We bought tickets at the window for $20. We sat anywhere we wanted. More than half the stadium was red. The Baylor fans were very laid back.

My daughter who was 3 at the time enjoyed it also. We sat on the front row near the end zone when action was going on there. When it wasn't, we moved up near the top. In that end zone, the Baylor bear was walking around on the field in front of us. After the game, we went out on the field and met the OU players.

The only negative at that game had nothing to do with Baylor. My nephew who was about 10 went up to Q after the game, and Griffin was getting ready to autograph his football. Some OU trainer saw what was happening and yelled at Q to stop. WTF?

jumperstop
11/22/2010, 12:41 PM
I went in 2002. It was one of my favorite away game experiences. We bought tickets at the window for $20. We sat anywhere we wanted. More than half the stadium was red. The Baylor fans were very laid back.

My daughter who was 3 at the time enjoyed it also. We sat on the front row near the end zone when action was going on there. When it wasn't, we moved up near the top. In that end zone, the Baylor bear was walking around on the field in front of us. After the game, we went out on the field and met the OU players.

The only negative at that game had nothing to do with Baylor. My nephew who was about 10 went up to Q after the game, and Griffin was getting ready to autograph his football. Some OU trainer saw what was happening and yelled at Q to stop. WTF?

Maybe there is a rule that they can't sign stuff after the game. Who knows? :confused:

soonerbrat
11/22/2010, 12:59 PM

really? where do you go watch games?

Soonerntxs
11/22/2010, 01:31 PM
Wonderful time and the fans were great. See ya next year, again!

flyou11
11/22/2010, 07:58 PM
This was my second trip to Waco. I really enjoyed the trip (again). I enjoyed going through the Dr. Pepper museum before the game. The game itself was great. Easy in and out. Cheap parking. Easy to get into and around the stadium. Good stadium, great views from all seats. Jumbotron not working sucked. Fans are always classy no matter the situation. Great experience as expected!

Chuck Bao
11/23/2010, 07:35 PM
I very much enjoyed the return to my alma mater after 25 years. 5 of us piled in the family van and drove down Saturday morning and meet up with cousins. My little nephew loved the bear pit on campus and go 4 Baylor Bear t-shirts, much to chagrin of his father. The game was a big disappointment for me, but the fans seem to be quite mixed on the Baylor side and all of the fans seemed to get along. There were so many couples wearing different colors that I lost count. It was great being down there again.