PDA

View Full Version : Wrigley Field too short for football

ouleaf
11/19/2010, 05:12 PM
Anybody else see this? Weird, weird stuff.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/19/wrigley-field-too-short-to-host-football-but-will-anyway/?hpt=C2

Mad Dog Madsen
11/19/2010, 05:14 PM
Interesting...

bent rider
11/19/2010, 05:16 PM
Back in the day the Bears used to play there. Did they change the stands since then?

Why are they just now discovering this problem? Did someone not measure the dang thing? They could make every yard 33 inches. Noone would notice, like when they time-compress a movie.

Whet
11/19/2010, 05:18 PM
The yards were shorter then.

mgsooner
11/19/2010, 05:18 PM
This is just ridiculous. How could anyone look at that end zone and believe that would be anywhere in the neighborhood of acceptable? It took them until the day before the game to decide that? If the offense throw a deep pass toward that end and the receiver ran through the end zone he would pull a Rodney McCray straight into a brick wall.

soonerboomer93
11/19/2010, 05:22 PM
yeah, I saw pictures of it and was like WTF that looks wierd.

why aren't they playing in the ufo that ate soldier field

Mad Dog Madsen
11/19/2010, 05:28 PM

LOL! :D

mgsooner
11/19/2010, 05:28 PM
Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcqVloclNNI

cmoneyou
11/19/2010, 05:46 PM
This is just ridiculous. How could anyone look at that end zone and believe that would be anywhere in the neighborhood of acceptable? It took them until the day before the game to decide that? If the offense throw a deep pass toward that end and the receiver ran through the end zone he would pull a Rodney McCray straight into a brick wall.

It's padded really well, that is part of the reason why it is so tight. I don't understand why it is such a big deal. The layout used in the past had one corner of the endzone being in the dugout.

cccasooner2
11/19/2010, 05:49 PM

LOL. The value of G was different too.

mgsooner
11/19/2010, 05:56 PM
It's padded really well, that is part of the reason why it is so tight. I don't understand why it is such a big deal. The layout used in the past had one corner of the endzone being in the dugout.

I don't care how well you pad it if you have a division 1 wide receiver running at full speed into a brick wall, good things are not going to happen.

cmoneyou
11/19/2010, 05:57 PM
I don't care how well you pad it if you have a division 1 wide receiver running at full speed into a brick wall, good things are not going to happen.

So don't run full speed into it. Its kind of like not running full speed into the sideline at OSU, you have to adjust to the field you are on. It is only half of one endzone, its not that big of a deal.

texaspokieokie
11/19/2010, 06:00 PM
wonder why they didn't use comiskey, soldier or some hi-school field ??

Scott D
11/19/2010, 06:03 PM
further cementing that wrigley is in fact a ****hole that should be demolished.

prrriiide
11/19/2010, 06:03 PM
Did anyone check out the hashtag rules?
#WrigleyFieldPickupRules:

Make sure someone brings a few hats or a baseball glove to mark the endzone

The QB can use a baseball bat to hit the pigskin to the WR.

'3 alligator' rush is good, '10 apple' might be better

Indiana's got next.

Zook and Fitz agreed on Former Illini Jeff George as all-time QB. He provides no competitive advantage for anyone

No whistles: players have to yell out: I'm down, I'm down

No first downs, you only get 4 downs to get in the endzone

Indiana gets picked last. Always.

All big plays accompanied by cheers of "Hooooooly Cowwwww!"

mgsooner
11/19/2010, 06:14 PM
So don't run full speed into it. Its kind of like not running full speed into the sideline at OSU, you have to adjust to the field you are on. It is only half of one endzone, its not that big of a deal.

Sorry, I don't feel that in football you should have to "adjust to the field you're on". This isn't baseball. There might be some adjustments for the playing surface itself, but you shouldn't have to not throw deep passes toward one end because your wide receiver will do a face plant into a brick wall if you do.

cmoneyou
11/19/2010, 06:16 PM
Sorry, I don't feel that in football you should have to "adjust to the field you're on". This isn't baseball. There might be some adjustments for the playing surface itself, but you shouldn't have to not throw deep passes toward one end because your wide receiver will do a face plant into a brick wall if you do.

This happens on several fields, just not to this extent. Heck, there are people that are scared of the north endzone at owen field.

mgsooner
11/19/2010, 06:17 PM
This happens on several fields, just not to this extent. Heck, there are people that are scared of the north endzone at owen field.

Key phrase of your post

cmoneyou
11/19/2010, 06:19 PM
Key phrase of your post
Sorry, I don't feel that in football you should have to "adjust to the field you're on".

So its okay to adjust to the field you are playing on sometimes?

mgsooner
11/19/2010, 06:21 PM
So its okay to adjust to the field you are playing on sometimes?

Honestly I'm not aware of any field in division 1 that forces coaches to literally change their offensive game plan because of anything other than the playing surface itself.

cmoneyou
11/19/2010, 06:25 PM
Honestly I'm not aware of any field in division 1 that forces coaches to literally change their offensive game plan because of anything other than the playing surface itself.

I don't either, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen in some way, shape or form. Check the video of the houston kid earlier in the thread.

mgsooner
11/19/2010, 06:27 PM
I don't either, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen in some way, shape or form. Check the video of the houston kid earlier in the thread.

That's exactly my point: things like that SHOULDN'T happen. The kid has filed a lawsuit against Marshall (that happened on their field), the game official and CUSA, and rightfully so. It's their job to protect the athletes and they failed miserably.

oudavid1
11/19/2010, 06:33 PM
the Big 10 is a bunch of morons

cmoneyou
11/19/2010, 06:42 PM
That's exactly my point: things like that SHOULDN'T happen. The kid has filed a lawsuit against Marshall (that happened on their field), the game official and CUSA, and rightfully so. It's their job to protect the athletes and they failed miserably.

If they had padding all the way up to the back of the endzone, he would be ok./sarcasm

There are dangerous places on every football field, a padded wall inches from the endzone is not really that dangerous.

Leroy Lizard
11/19/2010, 06:43 PM
First play call: Turn left at the Buick.

Leroy Lizard
11/19/2010, 06:43 PM

Yeah, but they're wusses.

85sooners
11/19/2010, 06:56 PM
:gary:

soonercastor
11/19/2010, 07:03 PM
So if a defender gets a Pick, where is he supposed to return it? :eek:

STUpendOUs
11/19/2010, 07:15 PM

http://www.davesfootballblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/boise-state-blue-turf.jpg

bullnoob
11/19/2010, 07:40 PM
Neuter Dame/Army tomorrow night at new Yankee Stadium. Hopefully they have their field figured out.

Kadosh
11/19/2010, 07:51 PM
I don't understand why they are playing at a baseball stadium. Is it some sort of celebration? Is NU's turf so tore up they won't host?

caseysooner
11/19/2010, 08:36 PM
It's just a publicity stunt so that ESPN will actually get some curious viewers to tune into that game

soonerbub
11/19/2010, 08:42 PM
Why didn't they go from left field to right field instead of this ****?

Morons

pac10SUX
11/19/2010, 08:42 PM
Isn't this the weekend that CFB switches over to Arena Football rules? :D

Football Jim
11/19/2010, 08:50 PM
I agree that the Big 10 is acting like a bunch of morons scheduling the game to be played at Wrigley.

Lewis Field is also a dangerous place and T Boone should have made it clear that they should demolish it and start from scratch. Instead they polished a turd. :stunned:

bent rider
11/20/2010, 11:47 AM

You're right, its those new-fangled communistic metric yards they're using today.

bent rider
11/20/2010, 11:51 AM
First play call: Turn left at the Hyundai.

FIFY

DCsooner22
11/20/2010, 11:59 AM
So, now it looks like only one endzone will be used for offense - not kidding:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/ncf/news/story?id=5824661

Am I the only one who thinks this is not worth the publicity - i.e. stupid??

finster
11/20/2010, 12:00 PM
Looks like they painted a goal post base on the wall.
This has a “Wily coyote incident” written all over it

DCsooner22
11/20/2010, 12:05 PM
From the article:

• All offensive plays will head toward the west end zone, including all extra points and all overtime possessions.

• All kickoffs will be kicked toward the east end zone.

• After every change of possession, the ball will be repositioned for the offense to head toward the west end zone.

• As a result of a coin toss held by the conference office Friday morning, Illinois will occupy the west team bench in the first half and Northwestern will occupy the west team bench in the second half and for all overtime periods.

Yes, I once again concur with myself... This is stupid.

GKeeper316
11/20/2010, 05:38 PM

this aint kids playin ball in the street after supper. this is big time college football... a regulation field is a regulation field. if this had been the nfl, the players assn rep would have kept the players off of that monstrocity.

sooner518
11/20/2010, 05:43 PM
its working brilliantly because its got us all talking about it and watching it on TV. its a publicity stunt and its getting alot of publicity. I know I sure as hell wouldnt be watching Northwestern V Illinois if it werent for the novelty of playing at Wrigley.

I think the only really bad effect it has on the game is that both teams are on the same side of the field which has to make playcalling difficult at times. Aside from that, every possession going in the same direction isnt that big of a deal.

Scott D
11/21/2010, 12:27 AM
If they had padding all the way up to the back of the endzone, he would be ok./sarcasm

There are dangerous places on every football field, a padded wall inches from the endzone is not really that dangerous.

the fact still remains that padded wall or not, the rules state that the wall must be 2 feet from the back of the endzone. That wall clearly wasn't that far away considering that for half of that endzone it was less than a foot away from the wall, and add to that the fact that the Cubs allegedly added seating that prevented them from going into centerfield like they used to do when the Bears played there is just further proof that if you rely on the Cubs to do anything right, you're asking for a major disappointment.