PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for Robert Griffin

cleller
11/19/2010, 07:46 AM
I haven't run across any news stories yet on whether the Sooners are preparing in any special way for Robert Griffin.

Specifically, I recall when OU was practicing for Nebraska in 2000, they had Mark Bradley playing the part of Eric Crouch. Think this was before Bradley had hit the field for us.

These hard to catch QBs are more popular than ever, maybe its not as big a deal now. Just wondered if there is any scuttlebutt about preparing this week.

CrimsonRez
11/19/2010, 07:55 AM
We seem to always have trouble with running quarterbacks at the first of the game. By halftime Venables makes the change and we spy the QB and we end up doing fine. It would be nice if we would just go ahead and spy the QB from the get go.

Breadburner
11/19/2010, 07:57 AM
Run the ball....Control the clock.......

King Crimson
11/19/2010, 08:01 AM

against a good front 7, we haven't shown we can run the ball with much success IMO.

historically, the Stoops/Venables D has struggled with a run/pass option QB.

i think we'll need to score 30+ to win. and no "Bad Landry" on the road deer in the headlights series when we need to move the ball.

sooner518
11/19/2010, 08:35 AM
I'd love to "Seneca Wallace" him

Widescreen
11/19/2010, 08:55 AM
against a good front 7, we haven't shown we can run the ball with much success IMO.

Since we're playing Baylor, we should be OK.

King Crimson
11/19/2010, 08:58 AM

kinda what i'm hoping. breakout day for Finch.

cleller
11/19/2010, 09:23 AM

But Baylor beat Texas!

SoonerLB
11/19/2010, 09:27 AM
Have Ronnell Lewis blitz on every down! Griffin should be pretty much neutralized by the 2nd series I would imagine. :D

FlippMoke
11/19/2010, 09:56 AM
historically, Ds have struggled with a run/pass option QB.

ftfy

Crucifax Autumn
11/19/2010, 10:10 AM
I'm guessing they're watching film of Gilbert Grape and making a gameplan for Ponder....

Jesus Christ! Of course they are preparing, whether we read about it or not.

cvsooner
11/19/2010, 12:55 PM
Considering the mobile quarterbacks we've already faced this season, I have to think some of that translates into performance. This is the 11th game of the year, and we've seen the kid at USU, Air Force, Collaros at Cincy, Austen Arnaud at ISU, Ponder...

Griffin is faster than them all, and is probably as accurate a passer as Ponder...maybe better.

You could argue we've had worse luck against guys who stayed in the pocket (Gabbert and Tanehill) than the mobile guys. Says something about their offensive lines, frankly, and our problems on the d-line. We may be a little better this week, with reasonably healthy players in there. Adrian Taylor is a tough dude, and he may be better at 80 percent than a 100 percent Casey Walker, but I can't imagine by much.

If we get better linebacker play, and I have to think Box is an upgrade from Wort in terms of overall performance, and if we can wrap up and tackle, I think we'll be okay.

jumperstop
11/19/2010, 01:03 PM
You could argue we've had worse luck against guys who stayed in the pocket (Gabbert and Tanehill) than the mobile guys. Says something about their offensive lines, frankly, and our problems on the d-line. We may be a little better this week, with reasonably healthy players in there. Adrian Taylor is a tough dude, and he may be better at 80 percent than a 100 percent Casey Walker, but I can't imagine by much.

For the past few years I think a lot of people agree that we've had trouble against mobile qb's, it'd be hard to argue. Remember how our dline was scrambling all over the field trying to tackle the Utah State QB.

OUmillenium
11/19/2010, 01:04 PM
...to throatpunch Vulnerables joke of a defense. Hopefully we can score 50

StoopTroup
11/19/2010, 01:14 PM
Under the facemask throat punch ought to do the trick. :D ;)

StoopTroup
11/19/2010, 01:15 PM
Rub Zima in his eyes?

Mississippi Sooner
11/19/2010, 01:19 PM
I thought Adrian Taylor was out for the season?

85sooners
11/19/2010, 01:24 PM

:cool:

Okie35
11/19/2010, 02:21 PM

Yup pretty much. Run to open the pass not the other way around. We always grasp that at home. We should worry more about Finley than Griffin.

ChickenStrips!
11/19/2010, 02:27 PM
I thought Adrian Taylor was out for the season?

He is. cvsooner was saying that Casey Walker (replacing Adrian Taylor) at 100% can't be much worse than Taylor playing at 80% which he seemed to be before his injury. Poor Taylor :(

Mississippi Sooner
11/19/2010, 02:28 PM
He is. cvsooner was saying that Casey Walker (replacing Adrian Taylor) at 100% can't be much worse than Taylor playing at 80% which he seemed to be before his injury. Poor Taylor :(

Oh, I got it. Thanks.

Well, I was hoping I had just misunderstood about Taylor.

boomermagic
11/19/2010, 02:35 PM
Well, I hered dat stoops tolt em to takle da man what run wid da ball..

Soonerwake
11/19/2010, 02:37 PM
You can't stop Robert Griffin, you can only hope to contain him.. :eek:

wilson63
11/19/2010, 11:05 PM
Here is to playing with the swagger and confidence of a traditional powerhouse...and not the fingernail biting, spineless whimpering of it's fearful fan base...BRING IT TO THE HOLE!!!!

"Everyone has a plan until they get punch in the mouth!!" author unknown but often quoted...

sooneron
11/19/2010, 11:22 PM
Yup pretty much. Run to open the pass not the other way around. We always grasp that at home.

Uh, No we don't.

KantoSooner
11/20/2010, 11:41 AM
"Everyone has a plan until they get punch in the mouth!!" author unknown but often quoted...

Excellent thought to keep in mind this holiday season.
I have often had the unfortunate experience of putting a lot of punch in my mouth and then utterly losing grip on whatever plan I might have once had.
While most fellow males are pretty understanding, wives, girlfriends and daughters find this really annoying.

StoopTroup
11/20/2010, 11:59 AM
Excellent thought to keep in mind this holiday season.
I have often had the unfortunate experience of putting a lot of punch in my mouth and then utterly losing grip on whatever plan I might have once had.
While most fellow males are pretty understanding, wives, girlfriends and daughters find this really annoying.

Send them to the mall during games. Get some of those gift cards but go use them for yourself but don't tell them they've been used. Yeah you'll have to act pissed off like whoever sold them to you ripped you off but they won't be back hopefully until it's time to clean up your mess. :D