PDA

View Full Version : Question about Slim Chickens Stadium...

bent rider
11/18/2010, 08:13 PM
How come its oriented East-West? Is it because OU would recruit all the guys who could run N-S, and they figured they could utilize the E-W runners?

TheHumanAlphabet
11/18/2010, 08:16 PM
Aggies like to jump up. They wanted to jump up aggies...

They got the compass wrong when they laid out the stadium.

The surveyor was an aggie?

I got nothing...

fadada1
11/18/2010, 08:24 PM
most sheep orientate themselves east-west. let's call it "state dependent learning" for the pokes - kinda like studying in the same room you're going to take a test. just seemed to make the most sense.

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2010, 08:30 PM
The earth's magnetic field is oriented north and south, so they thought... damned if I know.

fadada1
11/18/2010, 08:32 PM
"let's not copy those f-ing gooners!!!"

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2010, 08:32 PM
Apparently Mack Brown's grandfather was involved in the stadium design.

The school built a permanent 8,000-seat grandstand--roughly corresponding to the lower level of the current facility's north grandstand--in 1920. The stadium originally was positioned in the traditional north-south direction, but was reoriented east-west to avoid the strong prevailing winds.

fadada1
11/18/2010, 08:34 PM

i'll answer that one for my pop pop.

jumperstop
11/18/2010, 08:35 PM

Apparently wind doesn't blow the other direction...

cvsooner
11/18/2010, 08:38 PM
Wind and sun direction make for placement, along with the size and surrounding property. I can see orienting it east-west due to the wind, but depending upon the time of day you play, you wind up with the sun at your back or in your eyes.

Fortunately we get a night game so now issue there.

jumperstop
11/18/2010, 08:40 PM
Wind and sun direction make for placement, along with the size and surrounding property. I can see orienting it east-west due to the wind, but depending upon the time of day you play, you wind up with the sun at your back or in your eyes.

Wind is unavoidavle, a setting sun is.

bluedogok
11/18/2010, 09:41 PM
If you really want to know...I saw the reason in a post elsewhere about the OSU Architecture School renovation in The Journal Record.

These Walls: OSU’s architectural school (http://news.okstate.edu/index.php/press-releases/574-these-walls-osus-architectural-school)

Here is the quote from the article linked above.

The Oklahoma City construction firm Reinhart and Donovan started the building’s original construction in 1917, working from architectural plans by Oklahoma A&M Department of Agriculture professor F.W. Redlich. Delayed by wartime steel shortages, the gym opened two years later as the campus’s 20th building, its skin of wire-cut brick setting it apart from everything else.

“They always described it as a gymnasium until they were having trouble getting the steel,” said David Peters, coordinator of special collections at OSU’s Edmon Low Library. “And they were going to use it as an armory, so they started referring to it as an armory and a gymnasium. And then the federal government said, ‘Oh, it’s an armory!’ So then they got the steel.”

That $107,000 construction project forced the A&M football field to adopt a novel east-west direction, countering nearly all other colleges across the nation.

“Prior to construction of the gymnasium building, our field had been north-south,” said Peters. “When they built that building, that’s when they moved it to an east-west configuration.”

bent rider
11/18/2010, 09:43 PM

I hope the North Star doesn't get in Landry's eyes, then.

Srsly, I guess the available land they had at the time (before the Pickens bulldozers arrived) was better suited for that layout?

I could go for some Slim Chickens chicken 'bout now, anyway.

bluedogok
11/18/2010, 09:49 PM
It was rotated 11 years before Pickens was born.

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2010, 09:50 PM
If you really want to know...I saw the reason in a post elsewhere about the OSU Architecture School renovation in The Journal Record.

These Walls: OSU’s architectural school (http://news.okstate.edu/index.php/press-releases/574-these-walls-osus-architectural-school)

Here is the quote from the article linked above.

I guess you can't build armories north to south.

bent rider
11/19/2010, 02:23 PM
I guess you can't build armories north to south.

Since when were the Pokes armed with anything other than 6-shooters and pitchforks?

texaspokieokie
11/19/2010, 05:56 PM
i think both LA Colieseum & Jerry's new 1.15 bil taj majones are E-W.

i bet there's others.

3DSooner
11/19/2010, 07:45 PM
Boone's Farm is a joke!

jumperstop
11/19/2010, 07:49 PM

i bet there's others.

Yeah and during the aTm arkansas game the sun was all in the players face late in the game. Kinda stupid that you ****ed up a billion dollar stadium.

sendbaht
11/19/2010, 08:46 PM
hay lets build it running east and west and maybe a bright blue field too...we're the cowboys.

OSUAggie
11/19/2010, 09:17 PM

i bet there's others.

There are about 30 in college football.

Several in the NFL run EW.

Plus, the sun isn't exactly setting due west right now. But apparently the Earth isn't on an axis, nor does it rotate around the Sun in Norman.

bent rider
11/20/2010, 11:44 AM
Yeah and during the aTm arkansas game the sun was all in the players face late in the game. Kinda stupid that you ****ed up a billion dollar stadium.

They should have changed the direction of play when possession changed - no, wait, that's Wrigley Field.

Maybe Jerry can outfit the stadium with a giant sun visor or convert the hole in the top into a moonroof thing.

StoopTroup
11/20/2010, 12:01 PM
So they defrauded the Federal Gov't to get the money. Now they are defrauding Boone acting like they have a Football Team.

texaspokieokie
11/20/2010, 03:50 PM
They should have changed the direction of play when possession changed - no, wait, that's Wrigley Field.

Maybe Jerry can outfit the stadium with a giant sun visor or convert the hole in the top into a moonroof thing.

that wouldn't help, sun comes in on west end.