PDA

View Full Version : Sooners could learn from the Huskers

sendbaht
11/18/2010, 07:09 PM
Some truth in this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/21643/sooners-could-learn-from-the-huskers

So Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops has made it clear this week he's done talking about his team's struggles on the road, where it's lost six of its past 12 games. So, too, is his team.

Earlier in the week, Stoops limited media access to just a handful of players, a pair on offense and defense. That's fair. His call.

Up North a few hundred miles, Bo Pelini doesn't have a problem talking about his team's road performance. It's excelled on the road, winning games by five touchdowns at Kansas State and Washington and handing No. 10 Oklahoma State its only loss of the season -- and by double digits.

Coincidentally, a trip to Stillwater next week is what stands between Oklahoma and a seventh Big 12 South title in nine years. Of course, that could be moot with a loss to Baylor in Waco on Saturday against a team that's never beaten the Sooners in 19 tries.

"Execute. It’s as simple as that," Pelini said. "There’s nothing magical to it. You’ve just got to play, do the things you’ve been coached to do. Do that and you're fine. It doesn’t matter if you're home or away. The same things that equate to success at home are the same things on the road. You’ve got to execute your football and do it in such a way that you give yourself an opportunity to play well."

Pelini's Huskers have an intimidating road trip ahead of them on Saturday, when Nebraska will encounter what could be perhaps the most raucous crowd of the season in the Big 12. Texas A&M's 12th Man has been challenged on the aptly named "12th Man Day" to close the season.

Oklahoma was soundly beaten at Texas A&M two weeks ago, fell apart in the fourth quarter at Missouri while playing as the nation's No. 1 team, and beat Cincinnati, now just 3-6 and at the bottom of the Big East, by just two points in Cincinnati.

But what has made Nebraska, which -- unlike Oklahoma -- has been less than sharp at home, such a force on the road?

"I think coaching is a big part of it. If you trust in your coaches, that's all where it comes from," said Nebraska senior defensive back Eric Hagg. "Coaches have to get the players to get on board with you and have a relationship, but it goes back and forth, with players and coaches mixed together."

That's no shot at Stoops. Dynamics between different sets of players are exactly that: different. And there doesn't seem to be a link between who plays best where.

"It's only us. There's no distractions on the road, and I think sometimes we maybe prepare better because we know we won't have the home crowd," Hagg said.

Hagg doesn't see any common denominators between the Sooners, who have been nothing short of dominant at home, and other teams like them who struggle on the road. He's not alone in coming up empty-handed in grasping for an explanation. Had the Sooners figured it out, their road slide from last year wouldn't have carried over to 2010.

"It could also just be kind of luck, I guess," he said of the Huskers road successes. "We practice the same during the weeks for home and away games."

Just don't look to Pelini for any hex cures.

"I don’t think it matters whether you’re playing on the road or at home. The same things you have to bring to the table are the same things that you’ve been taught to do. You’ve got to take them from the practice field to the game field," Pelini said. "It doesn’t magically change because you’re not playing at home anymore. You have to do those things no matter where you are. If you don’t do that, you’re not going to play well."

jumperstop
11/18/2010, 07:13 PM
I guess beating Iowa State on the road by one means you're "excelling". ****ing stupid...people are blowing this road woes **** way out of proportion.

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2010, 07:18 PM
Nebbish pretty much echoes what I've been saying. The reasons for the poor road record is probably inexplicable and there is no cure other than to keep trying until you are successful.

The notion that coaching plays into the losses on the road is ridiculous. It's the same coaches that prepare the team for home games.

85sooners
11/18/2010, 07:20 PM
:gary:

cjames317
11/18/2010, 07:37 PM
What are Sooners gonna learn from the Huskers? How to lose to the horns?

jumperstop
11/18/2010, 07:39 PM
What are Sooners gonna learn from the Huskers? How to lose to the horns?

No, their super secret plan for beating OSU in Stillwater...:D

Breadburner
11/18/2010, 07:44 PM
What is the Huskers home record....

sooner518
11/18/2010, 07:47 PM
that was a really inane and pointless article. whats his point? that Pelini excels on the road because he is discussing his team's performance on the road with the media?? what about Nebraska losing to 6-loss Texas at home???

it seems to me that Pelini is saying the exact same thing that Stoops is: "execute and you have a better chance at winning the game home or away"

This writer apparently got a few Pelini quotes, paired them with Nebraska's away record and made some completely random statement to get page views without really making a point.

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2010, 07:49 PM
You've been led astray by a misleading title. Nebbish isn't offering advice. And there is nothing mentioned by the Nebbish staff that our own staff doesn't already know.

jumperstop
11/18/2010, 07:50 PM
that was a really inane and pointless article. whats his point? that Pelini excels on the road because he is discussing his team's performance on the road with the media?? what about Nebraska losing to 6-loss Texas at home???

it seems to me that Pelini is saying the exact same thing that Stoops is: "execute and you have a better chance at winning the game home or away"

This writer apparently got a few Pelini quotes, paired them with Nebraska's away record and made some completely random statement to get page views without really making a point.

Exactly what I was thinking. No where does he have a quote from Pelini saying "we're awesome on the road". He's saying the same thing as Stoops, that they are all important and you prepare on the road like you do at home...

cvsooner
11/18/2010, 08:43 PM
"Execute. It’s as simple as that," Pelini said. "There’s nothing magical to it. You’ve just got to play, do the things you’ve been coached to do. Do that and you're fine. It doesn’t matter if you're home or away. The same things that equate to success at home are the same things on the road. You’ve got to execute your football and do it in such a way that you give yourself an opportunity to play well."

"I don’t think it matters whether you’re playing on the road or at home. The same things you have to bring to the table are the same things that you’ve been taught to do. You’ve got to take them from the practice field to the game field," Pelini said. "It doesn’t magically change because you’re not playing at home anymore. You have to do those things no matter where you are. If you don’t do that, you’re not going to play well."

Replace 'Pelini said' with 'Stoops said' in those two quotes...and you've got half of Bob's press conferences this season.

I do hope we learn something from them about going to Stoolwater, though...

huskerland
11/18/2010, 10:04 PM
I guess beating Iowa State on the road by one means you're "excelling". ****ing stupid...people are blowing this road woes **** way out of proportion.

I think you didn't read all of the Blog!" It could also just be kind of luck, I guess," he said of the Huskers road successes. "We practice the same during the weeks for home and away games."

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/21643/sooners-could-learn-from-the-huskers

Collier11
11/18/2010, 10:16 PM
nothing magical here, we just arent as good as we have been...hopefully next year and the end of this year will sway that back the other way

Clever Trevor
11/18/2010, 10:24 PM
Damn skippy sooners. Learn somethin'!

Seamus
11/18/2010, 10:59 PM
Nebbish pretty much echoes what I've been saying. The reasons for the poor road record is probably inexplicable and there is no cure other than to keep trying until you are successful.

The notion that coaching plays into the losses on the road is ridiculous. It's the same coaches that prepare the team for home games.

Hmmm. Odd. I find myself agreeing with you.

Damn.

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2010, 11:09 PM
Hmmm. Odd. I find myself agreeing with you.

Damn.

I hope you have built up a lot of green spek (if you care about that sort of thing).

wilson63
11/18/2010, 11:23 PM
[QUOTE=sendbaht;3043073]Some truth in this:

"Execute. It’s as simple as that. There’s nothing magical to it........ You’ve got to execute..."

Hasn't stoops been saying the exact same thing since the beginning of the season?? Go back and look at his earlier interviews...dumbA$$ media kept looking for a different answer... now if it was either one of us and someone kept asking us the same question over and over...after we answered it the first umpteen time...we would probably take a swing at them...

jumperstop
11/18/2010, 11:45 PM
I think you didn't read all of the Blog!" It could also just be kind of luck, I guess," he said of the Huskers road successes. "We practice the same during the weeks for home and away games."

No, I read the whole thing. I was talking about the witter who said they "excelled on the road" and called Nebraska "a force on the road". I think those quotes show how idiotic this guy and the media actually are. It's not like Washington and K-State are great this year but cites those blowouts for their awesome road skills, but doesn't bring up that they were a failed two point conversation from losing at Iowa State.

osucowboy344
11/18/2010, 11:50 PM
No, their super secret plan for beating OSU in Stillwater...:D

Yep, you need a mobile QB that can put up Michael Vick type numbers. Good thing OU does not have that type of QB.:D ;)

yermom
11/19/2010, 01:08 AM
i think we need Oregon signs for our plays

http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2010/11/04/18/947-Oregon_Signs_Football.sff.embedded.prod_affiliate. 138.jpg

BigRed47
11/19/2010, 01:17 AM
If you go back and look at the plays that OU did not execute at aTm you will see that they left at minimum 28 points on the field, just from not executing properly. The coaches had called the right plays and the players did not execute. OU should have won going away in that game. For some reason OU does not execute on the road. The only reason they won in Cincinnati is because Cincy is a really bad team.

yermom
11/19/2010, 01:32 AM
i really think part of the problem is that when they change things up on the road, it's not fast enough and the defense has a chance to figure out what is going on

Oregon doesn't give them that chance, and those signs aren't affected by crowd noise...

Leroy Lizard
11/19/2010, 01:54 AM
i really think part of the problem is that when they change things up on the road, it's not fast enough and the defense has a chance to figure out what is going on

Why would it be any different on the road?

yermom
11/19/2010, 01:56 AM
crowd noise

Leroy Lizard
11/19/2010, 02:41 AM
crowd noise

It's possible, but I just don't see it. I just think the team is a little more wound up on the road and so tends to make more mistakes. Nothing much you can do about it other than give them sedatives. They'll come out of it eventually as they get more experienced.

yermom
11/19/2010, 03:04 AM
it just seems like the way we run our offense lends itself to being disrupted on the road with all the audibles and the players verbally telling each other the changes from the sidelines

Leroy Lizard
11/19/2010, 03:07 AM
it just seems like the way we run our offense lends itself to being disrupted on the road with all the audibles and the players verbally telling each other the changes from the sidelines

I would expect to see a lot of offensive penalties if that were true, but I don't think we have been heavily penalized on the road.

yermom
11/19/2010, 03:12 AM
there seems to be a lot of miscommunication and simpler/uninspired play calling though

Leroy Lizard
11/19/2010, 03:58 AM
there seems to be a lot of miscommunication and simpler/uninspired play calling though

Again, I would think we would land a large number of illegal procedures and delays of game if there was a lot of miscommunication. I haven't seen anything unusual there.

The play calling is probably about the same on the road as it is at home. Successful execution makes play calling look inspired and sophisticated.

yermom
11/19/2010, 10:38 AM
but how long does it take for them to get setup? it seems our plays per minute drops on the road

SoonerPr8r
11/19/2010, 11:18 AM

Umm pretty sure Stoops says this just about every week.

Okie35
11/19/2010, 11:28 AM
If you go back and look at the plays that OU did not execute at aTm you will see that they left at minimum 28 points on the field, just from not executing properly. The coaches had called the right plays and the players did not execute. OU should have won going away in that game. For some reason OU does not execute on the road. The only reason they won in Cincinnati is because Cincy is a really bad team.

Cincy played their hardest against us. We always get everyones best shot, it comes w/ the territory.

cvsooner
11/19/2010, 12:41 PM
but how long does it take for them to get setup? it seems our plays per minute drops on the road

We had 104 -- one hundred and four ! -- offensive plays in Kyle Field.

cvsooner
11/19/2010, 12:48 PM
I think Stoops has pretty well figured out the what -- we don't execute as well on offense, defense and special teams, on the road. And against the better teams--and clearly Mizzou and aTm fall into that category -- it's enough to get you beat. The fact that we had chances to win both of those games gives me hope.

He hasn't figured out the why it happens, or the how do we change it aspect. He may have a group that just doesn't know how to do it yet.

Three aspects that should help this Saturday: we've never lost to Baylor. Baylor has a terrible defense. The stadium is small and the fanbase is not terribly rabid. It may be close to a neutral field...and one more: I'm sure the team is probably getting a little tired about hearing how they play lousy on the road. Hope it's enough to get it done. Just win...and then do it again in Stoolwater.

TFSooner
11/19/2010, 01:31 PM
Again, I would think we would land a large number of illegal procedures and delays of game if there was a lot of miscommunication. I haven't seen anything unusual there.

The play calling is probably about the same on the road as it is at home. Successful execution makes play calling look inspired and sophisticated.

Miscommunication isn't just knowing that the snap count is on "Hut One" or "Hut Two". It involves the blocking schemes, who is picking up the anticipated blitz and from what position, who is being double-teamed and who is blocking into the next level, etc. Crowd noise can play into that on every single offensive play.

And I think the play call selection does become more conservative on the road. Outside of the fake field goal (in desperation time), how many "trick plays" or new offensive wrinkles did we see at Missouri or A&M? Where was the direct snap to DeMarco when Landry was acting like he was changing the play? The coaches have no problem calling that at home, but on the road? Not so much. Where is a hook and lateral, a reverse pass, anything that might catch the opposing defense by surprise sometime other than in desperation time when there is a greater chance they will be ready for it?

And if I am forgetting some new wrinkles or trick plays in those road games, then forgive me, but I don't remember them.

cyclonesooner
11/19/2010, 01:44 PM
Well, probably at least 40 % of the crowd will be dressed in crimson and cream come saturday, so we REALLY have few excuses for not performing well in Waco. Let's kick em !

Cornfed
11/19/2010, 02:47 PM
Maybe we should dress like Neb on the road and the other team will think we are playing better. I mean if a reporter says it it must be true.

Oh and the jist I get from this article is if you execute on the road you will win, captain obvious.

jumperstop
11/19/2010, 02:54 PM
Maybe we should dress like Neb on the road and the other team will think we are playing better. I mean if a reporter says it it must be true.

Oh and the jist I get from this article is if you execute on the road you will win, captain obvious.

And the reason we lost on the road those two times is we didn't execute. I don't understand why the media can't understand this.

Cornfed
11/19/2010, 02:58 PM
And the reason we lost on the road those two times is we didn't execute. I don't understand why the media can't understand this.

They have to have something to write about I guess. Why don't they talk about OSwhos home game woes this year.

huskerland
11/19/2010, 06:05 PM
No, I read the whole thing. I was talking about the witter who said they "excelled on the road" and called Nebraska "a force on the road". I think those quotes show how idiotic this guy and the media actually are. It's not like Washington and K-State are great this year but cites those blowouts for their awesome road skills, but doesn't bring up that they were a failed two point conversation from losing at Iowa State. Got your point and that's where the luck comes in! The huskers will need some more luck Saturday against TAM.

Leroy Lizard
11/19/2010, 06:23 PM
Miscommunication isn't just knowing that the snap count is on "Hut One" or "Hut Two". It involves the blocking schemes, who is picking up the anticipated blitz and from what position, who is being double-teamed and who is blocking into the next level, etc. Crowd noise can play into that on every single offensive play.

Yes, but illegal procedures and, especially, illegal shifts are usually a result of miscommunication. I fail to see how we can be that confused and still pull off the plays with no penalties.

And I think the play call selection does become more conservative on the road. Outside of the fake field goal (in desperation time), how many "trick plays" or new offensive wrinkles did we see at Missouri or A&M?

We ran the reverse at ATM.

Besides, we rarely run more than one or two of those plays out of nearly 100. The vast majority of plays are probably about the same.

Where was the direct snap to DeMarco when Landry was acting like he was changing the play? The coaches have no problem calling that at home, but on the road?

How many times have we run that play at home?

I'm kinda' glad we don't run many trick plays. They chew up tons of practice time and they blow up in your face more often than not.

stoopified
11/20/2010, 11:47 AM
What about Husker home woes? Lost to isu at home last year and TEJAS this year?

Sooner70
11/20/2010, 11:51 AM
Agree with BigRed47. I count 31 if Sooners had a consistent FG kicker.

I doubt if Pellini would ever cast any negativity toward Stoops' or OU's way at all. Media may try to spin stuff to create controversey or story, but it's just not there. If I recall correctly, when Pellini was out work, Stoops took him on at OU and help boost his stock and he ended up at Nebrasaka.

Realize Stoops comes across as a porcupine to the media, but I think behind the scenes, Stoops has helped a lot of FB coaches get better jobs. Seems to me the media can't handle his bluntness, authority, and general "telling it like it is sometimes." A lot of needless distracting controversey is created sometimes by players shooting off their mouths to the media, and everybody knows that if the media cannot find a story, they'll create one by leading a naive player into saying things he didn't mean to come out that way & spinning it to sell a story. Stoops is just trying to control that. The players are probably relieved they don't have to worry about it.

StoopTroup
11/20/2010, 11:55 AM
I didn't learn **** from this thread. WTF?

SoonerShay
11/20/2010, 11:23 PM
We already know how to lose to A&M, so NU can't teach us that. I guess they can teach us how to not score touchdowns maybe?

Okie35
11/20/2010, 11:29 PM
We already know how to lose to A&M, so NU can't teach us that. I guess they can teach us how to not score touchdowns maybe?

:cool: :D

yermom
11/21/2010, 11:16 AM

it looks like we taught them a few things...

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2010, 11:17 AM
Stoops has helped a lot of FB coaches get better jobs. Seems to me the media can't handle his bluntness, authority, and general "telling it like it is sometimes."

The media would love it if Bob told them like it really was. Bob is more of a "tell them whatever is strategic" kind of guy.

jumperstop
11/22/2010, 11:26 AM
I guess Nebraska wasn't such a "force on the road" Saturday...This article looks even stupidier now than it did last week. ****ing media....

yermom
11/22/2010, 11:39 AM
it's just like any other game. they just need to execute and prepare the way they always do

sounds like it wasn't much different than ISU at home last year :D

AlboSooner
11/22/2010, 11:47 AM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k146/bs177/Pelini-Voldermort.png

meanwhile at hogwart...