PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to India, Philippines

SoonerAtKU
11/18/2010, 03:34 PM
So it appears that I may be taking on a new role here at work. It's one that would require me to periodically visit some of our sites in India (Delhi and Chennai) and the Philippines (Manila). I know some of you have been to some of these places. What can I expect? What should I look out for? What should I try to see/do if I have free time?

Thanks!

The
11/18/2010, 03:34 PM
Monkeys.

SoonerAtKU
11/18/2010, 03:41 PM
like Mickey Dolenz?

The
11/18/2010, 03:44 PM
like Mickey Dolenz?

More like Mickey Spillane.

The
11/18/2010, 03:46 PM
6doC8NXygVE

yermom
11/18/2010, 03:46 PM
like Mickey Dolenz?
that would be Monkees, duh

i like this though:

What can I expect?
Monkeys.

What should I look out for?
Monkeys.

What should I try to see/do if I have free time?
Monkeys.

SoonerAtKU
11/18/2010, 03:53 PM
It really is an all-purpose answer. One of our VPs told me this terrifyingly disturbing story about his first trip over there. He saw this young man hitting a shaggy, flea-bitten thing with a stick. Turns out it was a bear and he was trying to get it to do tricks for donations.

NormanPride
11/18/2010, 04:23 PM
Do not eat the street food.

soonerboomer93
11/18/2010, 05:39 PM
So it appears that I may be taking on a new role here at work. It's one that would require me to periodically visit some of our sites in India (Delhi and Chennai) and the Philippines (Manila). I know some of you have been to some of these places. What can I expect? What should I look out for? What should I try to see/do if I have free time?

Thanks!

For Manila

LA Cafe

Oh, and Filipina's are beyond crazy if they become attached to you. I wouldn't suggest speaking anything in tagalog unless you know what it means.

ywia

SteelCitySooner
11/19/2010, 02:06 AM
I lived in Manila for four years. First. Are you single or married? That place can make you or break you...

King Crimson
11/19/2010, 03:01 AM
I lived in Manila for four years. First. Are you single or married? That place can make you or break you...

out of curiosity, as a single... i'd be more interested in the "make me" part.....

Adrian
11/19/2010, 09:59 AM
Manila? Be sure to bring along your sharpest knife. The Tebows might need you to help with the circumcisions...

Lott's Bandana
11/19/2010, 10:16 AM
Do eat the street food.

At least in the Philippines. It is much better than any restaurant and like Bourdain says, "A street vendor doesn't stay in business by making his neighbors sick."

I prefer street food in Asia to anything, and this includes travel to Japan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Taiwan and The Philippines.

EnragedOUfan
11/19/2010, 10:23 AM

Thanks!

I've had the privledge of traveling through 15 different countries. Just like everyone I've been through, keep your Passport, I.D., and credit cards with you at all times. Keep them in your front pockets, pick pocketers are professionals. Dress casual and try not to stand out, although I know it will be harder in Asia than in Europe. Definately don't get caught up in any type of crime. Try to stay healthy, don't break any bones otherwise the hopsital may charge you up front. Look into "http://travel.state.gov/".............. Other than that, you'll be fine.......

Lott's Bandana
11/19/2010, 10:24 AM
For Manila

LA Cafe

Oh, and Filipina's are beyond crazy if they become attached to you. I wouldn't suggest speaking anything in tagalog unless you know what it means.

ywia

^^This ++1^^

That place is like OU Sorority Rush, Filipina-style.

I can't even describe in words what it is like but the best advice is to not latch on to one right away...there will always be another that will stroll by that you'll want even more. I'm not talking dozens, I'm speaking in terms of hundreds. As a paying customer, the Cafe' staff treats you like a king.

All for the price of about a tank of gas, US.

Mabuhay!

SoonerAtKU
11/19/2010, 10:57 AM

Married, and it sounds like I'm going to have to be very careful when I'm there. I don't really know the guys that well that I'd be traveling with. They're from our Oxford office and I'd be new to the team and staying in the States as a home base.

Lott's Bandana
11/19/2010, 11:34 AM
^^This ++1^^

That place is like OU Sorority Rush, Filipina-style.

I can't even describe in words what it is like but the best advice is to not latch on to one right away...there will always be another that will stroll by that you'll want even more. I'm not talking dozens, I'm speaking in terms of hundreds. As a paying customer, the Cafe' staff treats you like a king.

All for the price of about a tank of gas, US.

Mabuhay!

nm

:P

NormanPride
11/19/2010, 11:42 AM
At least in the Philippines. It is much better than any restaurant and like Bourdain says, "A street vendor doesn't stay in business by making his neighbors sick."

I prefer street food in Asia to anything, and this includes travel to Japan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Taiwan and The Philippines.

No doubt the food is excellent. But it will make you sick just because you're not from there. Different germs...

soonerboomer93
11/19/2010, 12:03 PM
that's because american are a bunch of pussies and are so afraid of germs it's probably becoming detrimental (imho). I ate in a lot of restaraunts in asia, some of them weren't the best looking, and I never got sick. I only actually ever got sick when the sand storms kicked up bad in China and then I'd end up with a "sinus infection"

yermom
11/19/2010, 12:10 PM
that's because american are a bunch of pussies and are so afraid of germs it's probably becoming detrimental (imho). I ate in a lot of restaraunts in asia, some of them weren't the best looking, and I never got sick. I only actually ever got sick when the sand storms kicked up bad in China and then I'd end up with a "sinus infection"

BZeqiX4kMEc

homerSimpsonsBrain
11/19/2010, 01:13 PM

Thanks!

Manila - Take a tour of Corregidor and the Bataan peninsula. Go see Mt Pinatubo, Bagiuo City, and hit the resorts. Some pretty nice scuba diving in the area. Try the Balut (or not). If you're there long enugh, visit Cebu (by plane. Not by ferry). Watch out for LBFMs. Dont drink the water. Dont put ice in your drinks.

OH! Never pay retail in the palengke (open air market)

India. Go to Indiana instead.

proud gonzo
11/19/2010, 01:38 PM
Do not eat the street food.

why not? street food rocks.

homerSimpsonsBrain
11/19/2010, 01:43 PM
In the P.I. Mongolian BBQ from a street vendor is probably Mongrel BBQ or possibly Hunan Cat.

It wont make you sick but most round eyes dont like the idea of eating fluffy.

NormanPride
11/19/2010, 02:09 PM
why not? street food rocks.

We've gone over this. :D It's because America is way too sanitized and the awesomeness of street food and its tasty diseases are too much for our dainty stomachs.

I love street food, too. It's always the best stuff, and if you're going back often, then it's good to get used to the bacteria and stuff that you'll encounter there.

Overall, I hate all of you that travel all over the place. I would LOVE to travel internationally as part of my job. Especially since baj haets the travels.

proud gonzo
11/19/2010, 02:13 PM
We've gone over this. :D It's because America is way too sanitized and the awesomeness of street food and its tasty diseases are too much for our dainty stomachs.

I love street food, too. It's always the best stuff, and if you're going back often, then it's good to get used to the bacteria and stuff that you'll encounter there.

Overall, I hate all of you that travel all over the place. I would LOVE to travel internationally as part of my job. Especially since baj haets the travels.
eh, just eat some dirt and lick a few sidewalks before you go over there

yermom
11/19/2010, 02:16 PM
for the desired effect, you should probably do that once you get there :D

NormanPride
11/19/2010, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I know all the bacteria on the sidewalks in Tulsa.

homerSimpsonsBrain
11/19/2010, 02:36 PM
The bacteria on Manila sidewalks would kick the sh!t out of the bacteria on a Tulsa sidewalk. And then wipe its little bacteria a$$ on the Golden Driller. Do not F$%# with Manila bacteria. It eat penicillin and sh!ts tetracycline

NormanPride
11/19/2010, 03:20 PM
I blame the schools.

SoonerAtKU
11/19/2010, 04:40 PM
Everything the people at work are telling me jives with what you all are saying.

Manila rocks, India not so much.

I just wish we had 2 in the Philippines instead of 2 sites in India.

yermom
11/19/2010, 04:50 PM
i used to work with a guy that was in India for work for like a year. he always talked about moving back there.

India is a big place though...

DIB
11/19/2010, 04:51 PM
Watch out for powerlines

NormanPride
11/19/2010, 05:01 PM
Yeah, India is awesome if you hire a driver. The food is amazing, but there's just too many people.