PDA

View Full Version : * gave FAU $900,000 to beat them

Okie35
11/18/2010, 01:29 AM
Florida Atlantic will receive $900,000 for going to Austin to play Texas on Saturday, the biggest payday for the Owls.

That huge paycheck is why they are called "money games," where teams from the wealthiest conferences pay big bucks to bring in teams from the small-budget conferences such as the Sun Belt in mismatches where the hosts usually get an easy win.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And while FAU would like to cut back on the amount of money games it plays each season to boost its chances of becoming bowl eligible, the Owls will have to play more of them to help pay for the new on-campus stadium that will open next season.

FAU's Athletic Department had to commit $1 million per year to the new $70 million stadium, and the easiest way to cover that expense is to play an extra money game, according to Athletic Director Craig Angelos.

"We are trying to balance both budgets," Angelos said, "the athletic budget and paying off debt service on the stadium loan."

FAU used the money games to balance the athletic budget, and as the paychecks went up, they were able to cut down on those games.

In 2006 FAU played Clemson, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and South Carolina, losing all four, but in 2008 and again this season the Owls needed to play two money games to keep the budget in the black.

Next year FAU plays Florida, Auburn and Michigan State, and Angelos is still putting together the 2012 schedule, but expects to have three money games.

Angelos is negotiating with several SEC schools, including Alabama, since those schools usually pay the most. FAU will get $975,000 from Auburn next year.

"We will have to play another money game for the first couple years and then re-evaluate it," Angelos said. If revenue from the stadium is more than expected, the Owls might be able to cover the $1 million without playing for a big paycheck.

FAU coach Howard that old drunk does not mind playing the games, but he and Angelos would like to play just two per season to give the Owls a better chance of finishing at or above .500 and going to a bowl.

"We have always felt it is important to play the best competition," that old drunk said. "Getting a paycheck is important for the budget, but it is also important to get experience against those teams."

Since 2005 FAU is 0-17 in road money games, but the players like participating in them.

"We really do. We love to go in those stadiums," FAU quarterback Jeff Van Camp said. "They are always on TV. You always want to play against those teams."

"Ideally, you get to where you don't have to play any money games," Angelos said.

But until the program can create enough revenue to balance the budget and help pay off the stadium, money games are here to stay.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fau-owls/fl-fau-texas-money-game-1116-20101115,0,6189015.story

FAU probably lose but it would be a riot of they did win

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2010, 01:51 AM
DeLoss Dodds, after the game:

"Uhhhh, I have to ask... and this is highly irregular, I know... but... I realize there is nothing in the contract... well, we didn't expect to lose and... well, I'll just come out and ask. Can we have our money back?"

Judge Smails
11/18/2010, 02:03 AM
Hell, for 900K they can beat the hell out of me!

bullnoob
11/18/2010, 03:03 AM
"that old drunk" Ha ha-good stuff

Crucifax Autumn
11/18/2010, 03:07 AM
Always funniest when one of those shows up in a pasted article.

sendbaht
11/18/2010, 07:42 AM
I'll get in there with ya Judge and take 1/2 the beating and we can split it $450K each.

badger
11/18/2010, 08:31 AM
The 2005 TCU game was probably a "money game." I don't know if we've ever gone back to TCU, but they've come here again.

In any event, $900k, huh? Texas fans might not show up and they might not make much of a profit of of it.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/18/2010, 09:20 AM
The 2005 TCU game was probably a "money game." I don't know if we've ever gone back to TCU, but they've come here again.

In any event, $900k, huh? Texas fans might not show up and they might not make much of a profit of of it.

But didn't TCU win like 11 games that year???

bent rider
11/18/2010, 12:08 PM
Yeah, TCU had an awesome season that year, but they laid an egg the week after the OU game, losing to SMU. d'oh!

HBick
11/18/2010, 12:08 PM
Doesn't matter, FAU is going to be fired up to play. And Howard would love to beat Texas.

FAU probably thinks they can actually win

Salt City Sooner
11/18/2010, 12:44 PM

2 for 1, but it's a bit unusual in that we get both of our home games before they get theirs. I'd fully expect Joe C. to put an East Popcorn State in the week before, but as it currently stands, we open up 2012 in Ft. Worth on 9-8.

allanace16
11/18/2010, 01:34 PM
FAU probably thinks they can actually win

Given Texas' performance against teams they previously considered also-rans this year, are you feeling strongly that they won't? I don't know if anyone on that roster remembers what winning is anymore....

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2010, 01:48 PM
Texas is going to blow them out. Sure, Texas has played like crap, but FAU is a pretty sorry team. Sorrier than Texas.

ATM? That might be a bigger concern.

usaosooner
11/18/2010, 02:35 PM
They lose, that check will have a stop on it

cyclonesooner
11/18/2010, 03:16 PM
the game officials will not allow them to lose to Florida Atlantic !

Cornfed
11/18/2010, 03:30 PM
They have the same record, FAU is playing for a bowl berth as well :D

Mad Dog Madsen
11/18/2010, 03:37 PM
C'mon guys... FAU?!? Really??? As much as I hate to say it Texass will win by 21 points.

Cornfed
11/18/2010, 03:38 PM
C'mon guys... FAU?!? Really??? As much as I hate to say it Texass will win by 21 points.

Aww c'mon we can at least dream right?

Jacie
11/18/2010, 03:42 PM
Texas is going to blow them out. Sure, Texas has played like crap, but FAU is a pretty sorry team. Sorrier than Texas.

Not many whorn fans are pencilling this one in as a W yet . . .

Mad Dog Madsen
11/18/2010, 03:43 PM
Aww c'mon we can at least dream right?

No.

MeMyself&Me
11/18/2010, 03:55 PM

You'd think even the worst Big 12 team could beat fau at home but this Tejas team has QUIT written all over it from the top to bottom and bottom to top. I think I saw that Tejas was favored by 21. I'd take fau on that if you put a gun to my head.

AlboSooner
11/18/2010, 05:03 PM
please please let them lose

Bourbon St Sooner
11/18/2010, 05:24 PM
I'll get in there with ya Judge and take 1/2 the beating and we can split it $450K each.

Hell, if you guys just punt on 1st down and blitz Gilbert, you might have a chance to win:D

Eielson
11/18/2010, 06:04 PM
2 for 1, but it's a bit unusual in that we get both of our home games before they get theirs. I'd fully expect Joe C. to put an East Popcorn State in the week before, but as it currently stands, we open up 2012 in Ft. Worth on 9-8.

I really don't like the sound of that.

Okie35
11/18/2010, 06:36 PM
I really don't like the sound of that.

I have no problem w/ it by 2012 our team will be pretty damn good while TCU whos had the same team for like 3 years will probably be down.