PDA

View Full Version : Another state question lawsuit!

badger
11/16/2010, 06:32 PM
First Shariah law, then English-only, now voter ID! It's like a lawsuit trifecta our state has going! Yay, us!

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=14&articleid=20101116_14_0_Alawsu200899)

:mad:

Penguin
11/16/2010, 06:41 PM
post reported

olevetonahill
11/16/2010, 06:44 PM
What grounds are they going on ? I didnt see where it said

SOONER44EVER
11/16/2010, 08:06 PM
People were talking about all 3 of these being challenged before thw voting ever began. This state has bigger problems.

jumperstop
11/16/2010, 08:27 PM
I voted yes on the voter ID thing but no on the other two. I don't see why we didn't already have to show an ID before voting. All I did was come in and say my name, and then "verify my address". Since I didn't live there anymore I had forgotten where I had registered, so basically I peeked over and got my address off the sheet. If I was bad I could have voted for like 6 people at different places if I wanted to. How is this illegal anyways? It's not like we're requiring people to take intellegence test before voting, which we probably should anyways.

SOONER44EVER
11/16/2010, 08:30 PM
I voted no on every question but 2 of them. I guess they were so unimportant I already forgot what they were. :D

GottaHavePride
11/16/2010, 08:56 PM
Kansas' soon-to-be secretary of state works for some group that keeps filing retarded lawsuits like this in states across the country.

I can't believe we elected the moron. His major campaign point was voter fraud, when there is no evidence that voter fraud is any sort of statistically significant problem in Kansas.

Boarder
11/16/2010, 09:13 PM
I'm interested to see what grounds the lawsuit is claiming. This one is not discriminatory at all.

yermom
11/16/2010, 09:17 PM
it's racist and you know it.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/17/2010, 01:24 AM
Who the **** doesn't have a photo id from the government?

sooner59
11/17/2010, 01:53 AM
Who the **** doesn't have a photo id from the government?

shhhhhh.....jaun might hear you....;)

yermom
11/17/2010, 02:27 AM
apparently the blacks are all poor and can't afford picture IDs and this is a way to keep them from voting

at least that's what they were saying in Georgia when they tried to require picture IDs a few years back

Boarder
11/17/2010, 09:46 AM
This law doesn't require ids, though. If you don't have a valid picture id, you can show your voter registration card. If you don't have that, you can sign a sheet saying that you are you.

yermom
11/17/2010, 10:03 AM
so what is the big deal?

saucysoonergal
11/17/2010, 10:39 AM
I have a novel idea, lets have the legislature do their job and pass bills and not pass this stupid crap on to our "educated" electorate.

soonerchk
11/17/2010, 12:53 PM
Bummer, this was the only one I voted for!

Bourbon St Sooner
11/17/2010, 12:57 PM
Wierd. I've always had to show id to vote down here. But maybe that's why New Orleans has a white mayor now:D

DIB
11/17/2010, 01:06 PM
Someone should tell Oklahoma to stop passing/voting for unconstitutional laws. Bunch of loose constructionist progressives.

StoopTroup
11/17/2010, 01:34 PM
Just start voting no on it all. Once they have it on the ballot 4 times....the real skinny will probably come out. Anyone voting yes for any of these and they haven't put any thought behind it other than the commercials on TV....well...that's just silly. They put catch phrases like education and road repair and now Illegal Aliens and Sharia Law in there and people think it's good so they vote yes.

DON'T DO IT! VOTE NO!

soonerchk
11/17/2010, 01:38 PM
Just start voting no on it all. Once they have it on the ballot 4 times....the real skinny will probably come out. Anyone voting yes for any of these and they haven't put any thought behind it other than the commercials on TV....well...that's just silly. They put catch phrases like education and road repair and now Illegal Aliens and Sharia Law in there and people think it's good so they vote yes.

DON'T DO IT! VOTE NO!

Wonder what would happen if we could just vote NO on the candidates?:pop:

btk108
11/17/2010, 01:46 PM
HEY! LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS!!! We voted, you lost, get over it. That's the way it works.

StoopTroup
11/17/2010, 01:49 PM

Now your thinking. I think it would be cool but having an open seat isn't good either. We just need to start supporting Independents if we have to do that.

btk108
11/17/2010, 01:51 PM
Now your thinking. I think it would be cool but having an open seat isn't good either. We just need to start supporting Independents if we have to do that.

The wimmen's don't like an open seat....something about a wet butt

DIB
11/17/2010, 01:56 PM
HEY! LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS!!! We voted, you lost, get over it. That's the way it works.

Yay! Screw the constitution. Us rednecks know what's best.:texan:

btk108
11/17/2010, 01:59 PM
What? Proving you're a US citizen to exercise your right to vote? Pray tell me who is getting screwed over this?

soonerchk
11/17/2010, 02:01 PM

It's why I'm unchained from the stove for an hour a day.

DIB
11/17/2010, 02:08 PM
What? Proving you're a US citizen to exercise your right to vote? Pray tell me who is getting screwed over this?

As long as the government forces its citizen to pay for that proof, it screws over those too poor to pay for that ID. I guess you don't believe the destitute are worthy of participating in our democracy?

soonerscuba
11/17/2010, 02:09 PM
Are these state questions addressing anything other than what drives rednecks to the polls?

Seriously, these aren't even unimportant problems, they're nonexistent.

The
11/17/2010, 02:11 PM
Are these state questions addressing anything other than what drives rednecks to the polls?

Seriously, these aren't even unimportant problems, they're nonexistent.

You say that, next thing you know, you're getting stoned for fornication in a Sharia Muslin Courthouse, and they're not even speaking English.

DIB
11/17/2010, 02:15 PM
You say that, next thing you know, you're getting stoned for fornication in a Sharia Muslin Courthouse, and there not even speaking English.

But on the bright side, we still don't spend any money on education. Keep the masses dumb, so they keep voting for ignorant state questions.

The
11/17/2010, 02:17 PM
But on the bright side, we still don't spend any money on education. Keep the masses dumb, so they keep voting for ignorant state questions.

Please correct my egregious spelling faux pas in your quote.

3rdgensooner
11/17/2010, 02:22 PM
That would be no.

But on the bright side, we still don't spend any money on education. Keep the masses dumb, so they keep voting for ignorant state questions. Why do you hate Oklahoma?

Soonerwake
11/17/2010, 02:22 PM

Apparently, you missed the word-famous comedy Brewsters Millions. Vote for "None of the Above".... :D

btk108
11/17/2010, 02:25 PM
As long as the government forces its citizen to pay for that proof, it screws over those too poor to pay for that ID. I guess you don't believe the destitute are worthy of participating in our democracy?

Leroid? Juan?

Jammin'
11/17/2010, 02:53 PM
I'd like it noted I didn't vote.

TIAYFP.

DIB
11/17/2010, 02:54 PM

TIAYFP.

You'd vote if there was a state question to legalize pot, ya hippie. Actually, you would probably get baked and forget to vote.

Jammin'
11/17/2010, 02:58 PM
You'd vote if there was a state question to legalize pot, ya hippie. Actually, you would probably get baked and forget to vote.

If your point is that I smoke weed, then yes, I do agree Natalie Portman is much hotter than Sinead O'Conner.

soonerchk
11/17/2010, 03:13 PM

Exactly why did you think he didn't vote in the first place?

yermom
11/17/2010, 03:14 PM

if you can't pay for a picture ID you have bigger problem than if you can vote or not

yermom
11/17/2010, 03:16 PM
Exactly why did you think he didn't vote in the first place?

TIAYFP.

hmm...

Boarder
11/17/2010, 03:33 PM
You don't have to pay for a picture id. Once again, you bring a picture id, if you don't have that you can show your voter registration card that is given to you for free when you register, or you can sign a paper that says you are who you say you are.

The arguments that any segment of society can't bring a picture id are completely wrong in this case. The poorest and dumbest people can still (at the very least) make their mark on the sheet that says they are who they say they are. If you're lying, it's a felony, btw.

Half a Hundred
11/17/2010, 03:35 PM
Requiring people to spend money on an identification card in order to vote effectively counts as a poll tax. That strictly violates the 24th Amendment. Now, if the state gave out IDs for free, then it's possible that a requirement to display an ID card at a poll place would be constitutional.

sooner59
11/17/2010, 03:41 PM
Again, as boarder said, you can show your voter identification card. You are issued one FOR FREE when you register to vote. If you are registered as a legal voter, then you have no reason not to show ID, unless you lost it, then its your problem, not the government's.

Half a Hundred
11/17/2010, 03:54 PM
Again, as boarder said, you can show your voter identification card. You are issued one FOR FREE when you register to vote. If you are registered as a legal voter, then you have no reason not to show ID, unless you lost it, then its your problem, not the government's.

That presumes you have an address for it to be mailed to. That's a big presumption.

btk108
11/17/2010, 04:54 PM
That presumes you have an address for it to be mailed to. That's a big presumption.

General Delivery

Okla-homey
11/17/2010, 05:13 PM
What grounds are they going on ? I didnt see where it said

Okay my brutha, I'll break it down for you and avoid legalese to the extent possible.

SCOTUS decides what the Constitution means. Ok?

SCOTUS has previously ruled, voting is a "fundamental right" of Americasn citizens over the age of 18. Cool?

Now sir, in order for a state to enact or enforce a law that infringes on folks' "fundamental right" to vote, the state must have a compelling reason for doing so. The standard of review is "strict scrutiny," meaning, in English, the state must convince the Court it has a danged good reason for infringing and just as importantly, the procedure it puts in place to fix the problem cannot be "overbroad." It must be "narrowly tailored" to fix the compelling problem and go no further.

Now, with all that said, given the state prolly cannot make a showing there is widespread voter fraud in Oklahoma, they prolly can't require voters to show I.D's because, wait for it.....poor folks are less likely to have I.D. 's and infringing on folks fundamental right to vote for no compelling reason ist verboten by SCOTUS.

That's why voter I.D. laws that have passed Court muster must be very comprehensive as to what I.D. may be shown to get your ballot. In Alabama where I used to reside, you could show a light bill addressed to you to the ladies at the polls.

For all the above reasons, I think Prof. Thomas' lawsuit to enjoin enforcement of the Okie voter I.D. law will very likely be succesful.

sooner59
11/17/2010, 05:30 PM
So let me get this straight. There is no possible way for a poor person to be able to prove they exist other than the fact that their physical body shows up at the polling booth? I see homeless begging for money all of the time in OKC. You could spend a couple hours doing that and have enough money for any kind of ID you wanted. I also see them begging outside liquor stores, then walking in with the money and coming out with booze. Do you want booze or do you want to vote? I have a hard time believe over the course of a year you couldn't come up with spare change to get an ID.

I stated that voter identification cards are free, and Half a Hundred proposed that not everyone would have an address to mail it to. Here is my solution. If there is no available address for an individual to receive the ID card in the mail, then delegate the post office of the individual's choosing as the location where the voter ID will be held and be available for pick up. Is that not reasonable?

The
11/17/2010, 05:32 PM
rY0WxgSXdEE

Jammin'
11/17/2010, 05:36 PM
So let me get this straight. There is no possible way for a poor person to be able to prove they exist other than the fact that their physical body shows up at the polling booth? I see homeless begging for money all of the time in OKC. You could spend a couple hours doing that and have enough money for any kind of ID you wanted. I also see them begging outside liquor stores, then walking in with the money and coming out with booze. Do you want booze or do you want to vote? I have a hard time believe over the course of a year you couldn't come up with spare change to get an ID.

I stated that voter identification cards are free, and Half a Hundred proposed that not everyone would have an address to mail it to. Here is my solution. If there is no available address for an individual to receive the ID card in the mail, then delegate the post office of the individual's choosing as the location where the voter ID will be held and be available for pick up. Is that not reasonable?

Sure its reasonable, but I'm for not allowing the homeless to vote.
I say to hell with that part of the law, stop being poor.

sooner59
11/17/2010, 05:48 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f187/thegoldfish1129/poor-people.jpg

Bourbon St Sooner
11/17/2010, 05:51 PM
[sic'em]We should go back to only white male landowners being able to vote[/sic'em]

Okla-homey
11/17/2010, 05:53 PM

With all due respect, you're missing the main point. The fact this law INFRINGES, even a speck, on folks' ability to vote without the required showing by the state there is a compelling need to show I.D. at the polls to combat serious voter fraud is why the law is a loser.

And please don't be mad at me. I didn't make the law on voting rights, I just know what it is.

soonerscuba
11/17/2010, 06:07 PM
And please don't be mad at me. I didn't make the law on voting rights, I just know what it is.Book learnin', especially law book learnin' is for communises.

Okla-homey
11/17/2010, 06:17 PM
Book learnin', especially law book learnin' is for communises.

IMHO, we could do with a bit more "law book learnin'" in the Okie legislature.

tommieharris91
11/17/2010, 06:25 PM
IMHO, we could do with a bit more "law book learnin'" in the Okie legislature.

This.

sooner59
11/17/2010, 06:30 PM
With all due respect, you're missing the main point. The fact this law INFRINGES, even a speck, on folks' ability to vote without the required showing by the state there is a compelling need to show I.D. at the polls to combat serious voter fraud is why the law is a loser.

And please don't be mad at me. I didn't make the law on voting rights, I just know what it is.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to point out to the jury that the people who are actually putting these state questions up for a vote were actually voted in by the people of this great state. If that doesn't spell voter fraud, then I rest my case. ;) :D

Boarder
11/17/2010, 09:47 PM

Was Alabama able to show compelling interest? If so, Oklahoma may be able to use the same method. I was thinking about this earlier and wondered if there was a precedent in which the courts ruled that requiring an id for something was ok (to buy beer, for instance). That could show that requiring an id was kosher, as long as there was compelling interest. Couldn't the potential for voter fraud be enough for a compelling interest without actual harm? Surely another state's past voter fraud could be enough reason.

The proposed law is very narrowly tailored. I just can't see how the law could possibly infringe on people's rights. I can't think of a single group, other than those who are ineligible to vote in the first place, who could not reasonably and easily provide one of the forms of required identification. That would make it as least restrictive as possible. That's the three strict scrutiny requirements.

yermom
11/17/2010, 09:50 PM
buying a beer isn't a right though. i think this is an outdated ruling that needs to be checked out again.

btk108
11/17/2010, 09:59 PM
Why the hell do I even vote if everything is called into question? WaHHHHHH...I didn't get my way, so I'm going to sue. Screw that it's what the majority wants, the minority HAS to have it's say. What happened to democracy. You whiney *** people are wrecking this country.

btk108
11/17/2010, 10:00 PM
and I'm not just talking about this issue.

yermom
11/17/2010, 10:03 PM
that's exactly how it was designed by the founders...

Scott D
11/17/2010, 10:03 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to point out to the jury that the people who are actually putting these state questions up for a vote were actually voted in by the people of this great state. If that doesn't spell voter fraud, then I rest my case. ;) :D

I think it's a sign as to why there should be a limit on how many Baptist churches can be in one state ;)

Boarder
11/17/2010, 10:04 PM
Why the hell do I even vote if everything is called into question?

The better question is, "why do I have to keep voting on things that the legislature knows will have challenges? Why do they not deal with this ahead of time instead of wasting our time and money?"

Here is a good read on it:

http://electls.blogs.wm.edu/2010/10/13/debate-over-voter-id-law-continues-as-oklahomans-look-to-november-2-referendum/

Several cool things. This bill probably shouldn't have gone to referendum, but the lawsuit for injunction came through after the ballots were printed so the plaintiffs dropped the case. Also..

Most of Oklahoma’s neighbors—including Arkansas, Arizona, Missouri, and Texas—require some means of identification from voters, but do not require it to be government-issued or to include a photo. Of the neighboring states, only Louisiana requires a photo ID. Nationwide, twenty-six states have enacted some form of voter ID requirement, and many of these requirements have been challenged in court.

Since the Oklahoma law has the provision where you can merely sign an affidavit, it may go through.

Lastly, do the people suing even have standing? I suppose as a registered voter they do.

DIB
11/17/2010, 10:05 PM
Why the hell do I even vote if everything is called into question? WaHHHHHH...I didn't get my way, so I'm going to sue. Screw that it's what the majority wants, the minority HAS to have it's say. What happened to democracy. You whiney *** people are wrecking this country.

"Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote. Those rights are spelled out in the Bill of Rights and in our California Constitution. Voters and politicians alike would do well to take a look at the rights we each hold, which must never be chipped away by the whim of the majority."

~James Bovard (A portion is often mis-attributed to Ben Franklin)

sooner59
11/17/2010, 10:11 PM
That's fine, except its hard for the majority to chip away at rights to illegal aliens since those rights don't exist (other than basic human rights).

DIB
11/17/2010, 11:36 PM
That's fine, except its hard for the majority to chip away at rights to illegal aliens since those rights don't exist (other than basic human rights).

If these state questions only applied to illegal aliens, I would agree with you, but they apply to the totality of the state of Oklahoma.

sooner59
11/18/2010, 12:35 AM
Actually, it says California. ;)

btk108
11/18/2010, 02:09 AM
DIB...if you're bringing in California....you're null and void here....move on

OnlyOneOklahoma
11/18/2010, 08:52 AM
Are you suggesting that the majority has the ability to take away rights because we don't live in California? I think requiring a voter card should suffice. And the question must be re-written to eliminate the photo ID portion.

I harped and harped on these questions being stupid and the constitutionality of several. No one listened to the moderate pointing out that the repubs were pandering.

DIB
11/18/2010, 09:25 AM
Actually, it says California. ;)

DIB...if you're bringing in California....you're null and void here....move on

No one is "bringing in California." The person who made the original quote was talking about California, but the logic applies outside the confines of that state.