PDA

View Full Version : Muscump's excuse...

ATX Sooner
11/16/2010, 03:11 PM
Will Muschamp answered tough questions Monday, and it was nice to see Coach Boom unplugged.

He didn't mince words or make excuses for what's been the Texas defensive coordinator's most vulnerable defense in his two-plus seasons. Of particular interest was his answer to the NCAA's move to protect its players from head injuries, which has made it more difficult for coaches and players to determine the difference between a big hit and a personal foul.

On a day when running back Tré Newton called it a career after suffering multiple concussions, Muschamp expressed concern over players' safety while wrestling with how it affects his job.

"I don't know what to tell the players,'' Muschamp said. "If you lead with your shoulder, they're defenseless. If you lead with your head, it's helmet to helmet. The officials have a hard judgment call, but it's hard on a defensive coach. I'm very concerned with where it's headed. We'll all be playing flag football here in about 15 years."

Then Kirk Bohls asked him how many times his defense has played winning football in 2010, and the answer came quickly.

"Four,'' Muschamp said, as in Texas' four wins. "Winning is all that matters. That's how I was raised in this game."

Translation? Muschamp knows the product on the field is unacceptable if the win total isn't approaching double digits at this time of the season.

He's not a head coach yet, but he already gets the fundamental job requirement at Texas.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhorns/muschamp-answers-tough-questions-1050383.html?srcTrk=RTR_781143

This explains why all of their opponents are missing tackles, too. Pathetic.

AlboSooner
11/16/2010, 04:09 PM
He doesn't make excuses except when he blames the refs for poor tackling. We will not be playing flag football in 15 years. That's an emotional hyperbole.

CrimsonJim
11/16/2010, 04:38 PM
He needs to change his name from Coach Boom to Coach BooHoo...

stoopified
11/16/2010, 05:16 PM
He needs to change his name from Coach Boom to Coach BooHoo...
Boom-boom?

Leroy Lizard
11/16/2010, 05:39 PM
Muschamp is college football's version of Ditka -- a blowhard who has an elevated opinion of his own coaching skills.

badger
11/16/2010, 05:46 PM
Tre Newton quit football this week. The rest of University of Texas football - coaches included - quit weeks ago. After the Nebbish game, to be precise. They had a little lift in the fact that the Huskers couldn't catch the ball, but when all of their opponents since actually made plays, they gave up.

Oldnslo
11/16/2010, 05:53 PM
Muschamp is college football's version of Ditka -- a blowhard who has an elevated opinion of his own coaching skills.

Ditka is in the Hall as a player and won a Super Bowl.

Sometimes, an elevated opinion of yourself is merely accurate. Ditka's football resume is second to none.

Leroy Lizard
11/16/2010, 06:00 PM

Sometimes, an elevated opinion of yourself is merely accurate. Ditka's football resume is second to none.

Coaching-wise? He took an uber-talented team and won the Super Bowl, and then watched the glory fade away. Then he assumed his football godliness would carry over to New Orleans, which it didn't. Finally, he had the nerve to criticize Switzer for winning only because of talent.

Player-wise? A great one.

Oldnslo
11/16/2010, 06:06 PM
Lots of coaches take uber-talented teams... nowhere. See, Wade Phillips.

In New Orleans, he picked the right player, just at the wrong time. If Rickey had less ganja and more drive, as he has had in the last few seasons, Ditka's move would have been hailed as brilliant.

Adrian
11/16/2010, 06:21 PM
Well, he is the defensive coordinator for a 7-3 team. Oh, wait...

badger
11/16/2010, 06:23 PM
Well, he is the defensive coordinator for a 7-3 team. Oh, wait...

http://blogs.jta.org/images/archive/bush_longhorn.jpg

fwsooner22
11/16/2010, 06:29 PM

Wow....Really....that's what you want to go with....Ditka had nothing. I'm always amazed at what people will write. Ditka may have tailed off at the end everyone does but he's in the Hall of Fame.

Muschamp = Ditka = you have no credibility.

fwsooner22
11/16/2010, 06:31 PM
Coaching-wise? He took an uber-talented team and won the Super Bowl, and then watched the glory fade away. Then he assumed his football godliness would carry over to New Orleans, which it didn't. Finally, he had the nerve to criticize Switzer for winning only because of talent.

What you said was Muschamp is like Ditka. That's wrong.

badger
11/16/2010, 06:36 PM
He might have a point! Muschamp and Ditka both probably think that they are one Ricky Williams short of going to the championship :rolleyes:

tcrb
11/16/2010, 07:29 PM
Ditka would kick Boom's a$$.

rekamrettuB
11/16/2010, 08:24 PM
Can we get this back on Muschamp and off Ditka. Making fun of Muschamp > making fun of Ditka.

oudavid1
11/16/2010, 09:05 PM

D*m LeRoy, way to gig em.

sooneron
11/16/2010, 10:58 PM
Is muschimp a sloppy drunk? B/c Ditka sure is. A buncha years back he was in my hang out in NYC. He proceeded to get hammered and try to dance on the bar. The guy could barely stand up. He was nice enough - chatted/slurred with me about the Bears. Hilarious seeing him like that, though.

MyT Oklahoma
11/16/2010, 11:02 PM
Oh well.. talk is cheap. * is still 4 and 6.

Okie35
11/17/2010, 02:03 AM
Lead w/ your shoulder, lead w/ your head?! Wrap the **** up and there's no problem at all. This Muschamp guy :mad:.

Leroy Lizard
11/17/2010, 02:52 AM
D*m LeRoy, way to gig em.

Trash fish.

http://www.macalester.edu/environmentalstudies/threerivers/studentprojects/ENVI_133_Spr_08/Invasive_species/Invasive%20Pictures/carp_two.jpg

Jacie
11/17/2010, 07:08 AM
Too early in the day for me to decipher that post . . .

tcrb
11/17/2010, 07:32 AM
Too early in the day for me to decipher that post . . .

I can translate for you: SPAM

soonercastor
11/17/2010, 07:33 AM
lolwut

TUSooner
11/17/2010, 08:37 AM

I like Mike as a player and commentator. BUT His coaching reputation in New Orleans is crap, and he knows it, and he knows why, and he knows it should be crap. Despite his old-school tough-guy blustering about giving all you've got, all the time, he loafed on the Saints and he knows it and and so does everyone else. He basically phoned it in from the golf course.

badger
11/17/2010, 11:24 AM
Lead w/ your shoulder, lead w/ your head?! Wrap the **** up and there's no problem at all. This Muschamp guy :mad:.

Because signature tackling is not about bringing a guy down, but hitting the other guy and hoping he either steps outta bounds or falls over :D

Leroy Lizard
11/17/2010, 11:44 AM
I like Mike as a player and commentator. BUT His coaching reputation in New Orleans is crap, and he knows it, and he knows why, and he knows it should be crap. Despite his old-school tough-guy blustering about giving all you've got, all the time, he loafed on the Saints and he knows it and and so does everyone else. He basically phoned it in from the golf course.

He built his reputation on having more talent than anyone else and Buddy Ryan. Once Ryan left, no more Super Bowl appearances. Once the talent tapered off, he finished 6-10.

In many ways, his coaching record is very much like Switzer's at the pro level. In fact, the two coaches' records are eerily similar, even finishing with the same exact last-season record.

He couldn't amass the talent in New Orleans, so he lost big. He only finished 15-33 with the Saints. In fact, Ditka's overall record is not far over 0.500. (In contrast, Buddy Ryan coached the Eagles to reasonable success.)

He was a good coach, don't get me wrong (so was Switzer). But he had a self-inflated ego that eclipses just about any coach over the past 30 years, and it is largely unwarranted.

BTW, the notion that he just mailed it in New Orleans is just rationalization. I don't doubt he worked hard to get the Saints winning, but he simply didn't have the talent to win and his coaching was really not that good.

85sooners
12/17/2010, 10:19 AM
:texan:

3rdgensooner
12/17/2010, 10:28 AM
Fang fennel turned to see the playground, the lithe form of Chen find that suddenly came to her nike shox deliver.
She did not consciously laughed complacency.
That's heavy man, real heavy.

Jello Biafra
12/17/2010, 11:02 AM

as usual....clueless.