PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Stevens

StoopTroup
11/16/2010, 01:56 PM
7-10? Do I have that right? So was he injured or having a head case and did he give it to Paddy? Was it just the competition between them that maybe put pressure on them both? I never paid any attention to the FG Stats as we missed so many that could have kept up in the 2 losses.

misplacedsooner
11/16/2010, 01:59 PM
taint as bad as last year by a long shot. even as we speak jimmy is booming extra points right down the middle.

Rocko
11/16/2010, 02:21 PM
Met him last week, my ankle still hurts.

SoonerNutt
11/16/2010, 02:32 PM
You are Coach Stoops. It's 4th and 5 with one minute left. You are two points down and are at the 30 yard line. Do you go for it or let Stevens try a 47 yard FG?

I know what I'd do.

And then I'd go find a better kicker for next year.

cvsooner
11/16/2010, 02:38 PM
Stevens was 11 of 13 last year (85 %) and 27 of 29 on PATs. O'Hara was 6 of 9 (67 %) and 10 of 10. Way was 1 of 6 (16 %) and 11 of 11.

This year, Stevens is 7 of 10 (70 %) and 34 of 34 PATs. O'Hara is 4 of 6 (67 %) and 9 of 10.

Outside of Way's struggles last year, Stevens especially is pretty accurate and O'Hara can kick better than he's shown.

The problem with our kickers this year and last are more one of timing: the misses are extremely notable, especially in very close games where a field goal was or could have been the difference between winning or losing. Or Nebraska, where the only point opportunities we had were missed field goals. We make all of the tries in that game and we win.

We're not particularly good in the clutch...much like our defensive woes this year.

sooner59
11/16/2010, 02:52 PM
You are Coach Stoops. It's 4th and 5 with one minute left. You are two points down and are at the 30 yard line. Do you go for it or let Stevens try a 47 yard FG?

I know what I'd do.

And then I'd go find a better kicker for next year.

I'm conflicted between bubble screen and running it up the middle. :D

cvsooner
11/16/2010, 02:59 PM
4th and 5...one minute left...call the fake. And THIS TIME Hannah makes the catch!

Collier11
11/16/2010, 03:02 PM
Stevens is now 18-23 in two years yet he keeps getting benched

sooner59
11/16/2010, 03:07 PM
Might as well just keep him in there and cross your fingers. Its really our best shot at FGs. I bet the situations that those misses came in played a bigger part than the number of misses or how they looked.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/16/2010, 03:10 PM
4th and 5...one minute left...call the fake. And THIS TIME Hannah makes the catch!

Except that the defense lines up normally inviting the kick. Why shouldn't they, the Sooners miss every clutch kick.

KantoSooner
11/16/2010, 03:18 PM
Why can't our kickers put kickoffs into the end zone?

Collier11
11/16/2010, 03:23 PM
This is my assessment, I may be wrong

Stevens- Leg isnt strong enough

Way- Gets worn down because of punting and kicking off

Ohara- Easily strong enough but still struggles with mis-hitting the ball

sooner518
11/16/2010, 03:23 PM

except for the fact that Im not sure hes ever had an attempt greater than 40 yards.... Usually OHara is the long FG kicker.

oumartin
11/16/2010, 03:26 PM
This is my assessment, I may be wrong

Stevens- Leg isnt strong enough

Way- Gets worn down because of punting and kicking off

Ohara- Easily strong enough but still struggles with mis-hitting the ball

yep, Stevens has a limp leg

Way should just be punting

Patty should be kicking off and

we shouldn't be kicking a field goal over 35 yards out.

Collier11
11/16/2010, 03:27 PM
He is 2-3 this year on FGs 40 or longer

Dwight
11/16/2010, 04:54 PM
I think part of the problem is the coaches. They just need to pick one kicker (O'Hara) and let him take every kick. Both kickers take a major confidence drop when they don't know who will be kicking the next FG.

prrriiide
11/16/2010, 05:24 PM
I've never really dogged on the kickers, because it really isn't just him out there. It's all in the timing. The snapper has to get it to the holder at the right place (not high or low or juuuust a bit outside). The holder has to get it just right (the laces in the wrong position can do some really weird sh** to the trajectory), and the kicker has to hit it just right. Fact is, we'll never really know which of the 3 screwed the pooch on which of the missed FGs and PATs. Maybe adrenaline is causing Winchester to get a little too much velocity on the ball. Maybe that's having an effect on Nimmo's ability to spot it exactly right.

What it boils down to is that the kicking team hasn't been particularly special - just average or a bit under.

cyclonesooner
11/16/2010, 06:41 PM
You give him that chance at a similar yardage several times earlier in the year where you know 100 percent what decision to make.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/16/2010, 06:45 PM
I've never really dogged on the kickers, because it really isn't just him out there. It's all in the timing. The snapper has to get it to the holder at the right place (not high or low or juuuust a bit outside). The holder has to get it just right (the laces in the wrong position can do some really weird sh** to the trajectory), and the kicker has to hit it just right. Fact is, we'll never really know which of the 3 screwed the pooch on which of the missed FGs and PATs. Maybe adrenaline is causing Winchester to get a little too much velocity on the ball. Maybe that's having an effect on Nimmo's ability to spot it exactly right.

What it boils down to is that the kicking team hasn't been particularly special - just average or a bit under.
i am not saying you're wrong but i've seen bad snaps, bad placement of the ball on made FGs before.

yankee
11/16/2010, 06:45 PM

because if the FG is longer than 35 or 36 yards, we might as well go for it on 4th down. inexcusable for a program like OU.

soonercastor
11/16/2010, 07:00 PM
Also some times when we dial-up a play on 3rd down close to the 30, we need to keep in mind that we may not convert it and set up a FG down the middle. Most of the time when its not in the middle and we line up for a FG, seems like we always miss. I know you don't dial a play to fail :P, it would be nice to set up for a FG sometimes especially in tight games.

tcrb
11/16/2010, 07:48 PM
Also some times when we dial-up a play on 3rd down close to the 30, we need to keep in mind that we may not convert it and set up a FG down the middle. Most of the time when its not in the middle and we line up for a FG, seems like we always miss. I know you don't dial a play to fail :P, it would be nice to set up for a FG sometimes especially in tight games.

On the flip side of that strategy, do you waste a play trying to center the ball when you kicker's reliability is 'iffy'? I think one of the problems that OUr kickers suffer from is that I don't believe the coaching staff has any confidence in them....and they know it.

soonercastor
11/16/2010, 07:57 PM
On the flip side of that strategy, do you waste a play trying to center the ball when you kicker's reliability is 'iffy'? I think one of the problems that OUr kickers suffer from is that I don't believe the coaching staff has any confidence in them....and they know it.

yeah I know, that's why I said we can't really design a play to play to fail. was just thinking outloud :P

oudavid1
11/16/2010, 09:04 PM
Btw i Call Jimmy "Slim Jim"

StoopTroup
11/16/2010, 09:53 PM
So fire the Coach? :D

prrriiide
11/16/2010, 10:00 PM
i am not saying you're wrong but i've seen bad snaps, bad placement of the ball on made FGs before.

True. But they are by far the exception. Most of the time it results in a miss.

SouthFortySooner
11/16/2010, 10:29 PM
So fire the Coach? :D

No. Pass when we run, run when we pass. I know how better than what they do!!!!!!!

edit: WHERES FINCH!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Breadburner
11/16/2010, 10:31 PM
Punt on 1st down.....

Collier11
11/16/2010, 10:49 PM
because if the FG is longer than 35 or 36 yards, we might as well go for it on 4th down. inexcusable for a program like OU.

point is, he is even getting pulled for short FGs when he has made them more often than not

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2010, 11:24 PM
Jimmy Stevens is da bomb. He puts excitement into what is normally a boring part of the game. A free bonus on your entertainment dollar, and yet you folks complain.

OK2LA
11/16/2010, 11:36 PM
Can't we just have Winchester kick?