PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 the best BCS conference?

PDXsooner
11/15/2010, 06:48 PM
I've always felt that the "perception" of how good is a conference is is based on how good the top two teams are. OU and Texas are good, the big 12 looks good. 'Bama and Florida are good, the SEC is good. Ohio St. and Michigan are good, the Big 10 looks good. USC and...ok, never mind on the Pac 10. Lucky for Oregon that their rise coincides with USC's downfall.

Anyways, neither OU or Texas are at their normal levels but all the traditional step-sisters in the conference are actually pretty tough this year.

Ok. St., Mizzou, A&M, K-State, Nebraska and Baylor are all respectable. None of them are NC contenders but they are all top 25 material. Even though the perception is that the conference is down, I think the conference will do relatively well in bowls this year.

SouthCarolinaSooner
11/15/2010, 07:07 PM
SEC West is the best conference :D

soonercastor
11/15/2010, 07:12 PM
SEC West is the best conference :D

thats just cuz the East blows

SoonerRoy
11/16/2010, 12:39 AM
SEC. They won the last 2 NCs and have a good chance this year with Auburn (unless the NCAA sidelines Newton). Even if they don't make the NC game, LSU is a possibility and they would have a decent chance against Oregon and BSU.

MeMyself&Me
11/16/2010, 07:47 AM
SEC. They won the last 2 NCs and have a good chance this year with Auburn (unless the NCAA sidelines Newton). Even if they don't make the NC game, LSU is a possibility and they would have a decent chance against Oregon and BSU.

On the one hand, you're using past seasons to say who's the best THIS year. On the second hand, you're falling into exactly the trap that the OP describes where the media uses the top two teams from a conference to make a statement about how good that conference is rather than looking at the whole conference.

Big 12 averages out top to bottom better than the SEC this year. Typically it's the other way around.

SEC west is the strongest division this year. Normally it's the Big 12 south. The Big 12 north isn't nearly as bad as it usually is but the SEC east is as bad this year as the Big 12 north is most years.

Soonermagik
11/16/2010, 07:57 AM
I don't think there is a true dominant conference this year.

fwsooner22
11/16/2010, 10:09 AM
When there is a conference championship trophy I will care. It will never, ever happen because it's a fraud perpetuated by ESPN and others. SO, it's not really relevant to anything.

PDXsooner
11/16/2010, 11:19 AM
, it's not really relevant to anything.

Except random discussion on a message board...

rekamrettuB
11/16/2010, 12:24 PM

Actually it's the last 4 NCs.

Okie35
11/17/2010, 10:39 AM
I don't think there is a true dominant conference this year.

There isn't, every conference seems down.