PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones NFL Prospects

MI Sooner
11/15/2010, 06:10 PM
After discussing (arguing) with a friend about Landry Jones talents compared to some of the projected top QB picks for 2011, I'd like to get some other opinions on this.

I made the comment that I wasn't sure that Luck (who I think is the consensus #1 now) is a better thrower than Jones. By "thrower," I mean only mechanics, arm strength, and accuracy in a drill/practice/no pressure environment.

When he's not pressured, I'd say that Landry has good mechanics, although not the quickness of Bradford's motion, top-notch arm strength/spiral, and good but not great accuracy.

I think Luck has good mechanics and comprable arm stength to Landry, which, if true, raises the question of who is more accurate? Based on reputation and Landry's occassional times seeming off, I'm assuming it's Luck, right? But most of Landry's flat out bad throws are under pressure.

This isn't to say Landry is a better prospect than Luck, or even close at this point. Luck is a little bigger, faster, plays in a system that seems more desirable by NFL-types, and while he's had some bad games, he doesn't have a reputation for consistently fair to poor play in pressure/road situations.

However, I think Jones would excel in the passing shell drills they do at private workouts. But is he at or close to Luck's level there, or even in the same league?

badger
11/15/2010, 06:23 PM
Landry Jones NFL Prospects
I'd respond, but know you'd never read it because typing that out probably caused your system to blue-screen-of-death.

Don't get me wrong, I loves the 'Stache, but the 'Stache is not NFL material.

mightysooner
11/15/2010, 06:28 PM
Landry will be "lucky" if he ever shows up on any NFL draftboards period. Not impossible but he has so far to go he can't even see it from where he is.

Thaumaturge
11/15/2010, 06:29 PM
It completely depends on if the NFL is where God wants him to be.

mightysooner
11/15/2010, 06:33 PM
Well god better give him some pocket awareness skills and teach him how to go through his reads.

CowboyMRW
11/15/2010, 06:36 PM
Not flaming but will Landry even be the starter next year. It seems that I've heard some very high praises be sung of Drew Allen and was wondering if he will take over for Landry

mightysooner
11/15/2010, 06:39 PM
He will be the starter but there will be open competition. His home performances and experience will be enough to give him the bump.

oumartin
11/15/2010, 06:42 PM
He'll be the starter until he graduates or gets injured. Thats the way Stoopsie is

soonercastor
11/15/2010, 06:43 PM
It completely depends on if the NFL is where God wants him to be.

Well god better give him some pocket awareness skills and teach him how to go through his reads.

lol

Leroy Lizard
11/15/2010, 07:09 PM
He's only a sophomore. Joe Montana only started every game in his senior season. Steve Young didn't start until his junior year.

SoonerLB
11/15/2010, 07:46 PM
"When he's not pressured" doesn't translate well to the NFL game.

zeke
11/15/2010, 07:55 PM
Is it possible we SOONER fans are spoiled? Following Sam Bradford is a tough gig. Jones is a sophmore, does not have the O-line that Bradford had, or the threat of being able to run the ball consistantly.
He doesnt play defense or play on kick-offs. I doubt he calls many plays or decides who will be on the field.
I think he has a good chance to play on sundays.

Tigeman
11/15/2010, 08:07 PM
Landry has no deep ball!

He can throw it deep yes.... but absolutely no accuracy on the deep ball. I don't know if he hasn't learned to air it out and let the receiver to run under it or what? With those random steroid balls that seem to happen on 3rd down, it doesn't look good. Hell he threw 2 or 3 of those this weekend as well. He also likes to hang his receivers out to dry by making them go up tall for the ball. I just don't see it! At this point, I almost wish we'd start giving Drew or someone some reps. I guess it's a little to late now though.

CowboyMRW
11/15/2010, 08:11 PM
Well damn. I was enjoying having green spek on this site lol :D

Tigeman
11/15/2010, 08:12 PM
You couldn't have seriously have thought that would last did ya? HAHA

CowboyMRW
11/15/2010, 08:23 PM
You couldn't have seriously have thought that would last did ya? HAHA

It lasted a lot longer than I thought lol. Too bad it's just one guy doing it over and over so I think I'm doin alright lol :D

soonercastor
11/15/2010, 08:24 PM
It lasted a lot longer than I thought lol. Too bad it's just one guy doing it over and over so I think I'm doin alright lol :D

time to find all your posts ;)

Tigeman
11/15/2010, 08:25 PM
Eh that happens! There's always one stalker! Some guys just can't let go!

Better you than on their X girlfriend! :D

CowboyMRW
11/15/2010, 08:28 PM
That's alright. I'm an OSU fan so it's probably some unwritten rule that it's mandatory that I have negative rep :D

olevetonahill
11/15/2010, 08:41 PM
That's alright. I'm an OSU fan so it's probably some unwritten rule that it's mandatory that I have negative rep :D

Yup. Plus ya cryin to dayum much :P

Joe
11/15/2010, 09:31 PM
Never know, he could get picked up by some NFL team and the light finally just turns on for him some time down the road. The light could even turn on his junior or senior year. He has the physical skills, it's the mental skills that are a huge ?.

The mental skills I'm talking about are inability to read defenses or very slow at reading defenses. It's been a long time since I've been this frustrated with a sooner QB (still love him) with the amount of open receivers he can't get the ball to. He's still young and tries his hardest so you can't fault the guy.

Matter of fact, our last 2 heisman winners displayed the same tendencies in the rare times they were put under the pressure LJs been put under, either his fault or otherwise.

VA Sooner
11/15/2010, 09:36 PM
Needs more time to mature. Certainly better than last year but under pressure, he reverts back to locking in on receivers to dump the ball off faster and occasionally leads the receiver into chaos.

Will improve over time... Luck is a very good QB already and ready for the pros. The 'Stache will need a little more time. He's still young.

Dwight
11/15/2010, 09:38 PM
I don't see him in the NFL unless he starts winning some tough games. Kinda sad, seeing as to how he will probably set every OU passing record before he's through...

SanJoaquinSooner
11/15/2010, 09:40 PM
I'd say it's too early to write him off in regards to NFL. The biggest area of improvement needed is decision-making skills when he's under the gun. More experience can make a big difference there.

He has the arm.

CowboyMRW
11/15/2010, 09:51 PM
Yup. Plus ya cryin to dayum much :P

Isn't that what all pukes do. Cry too much :D

Okie35
11/15/2010, 10:30 PM
Is it possible we SOONER fans are spoiled? Following Sam Bradford is a tough gig. Jones is a sophmore, does not have the O-line that Bradford had, or the threat of being able to run the ball consistantly.
He doesnt play defense or play on kick-offs. I doubt he calls many plays or decides who will be on the field.

He has a very good chance. Next year he can only get better. If he stays through his senior year he'll easily be 4th round or lower material. Even if he doesn't start, he can get drafted, its happened before.

soonerbub
11/15/2010, 10:36 PM
Landry will be an NFL QB he has 2+ years to improve and bulk up
kickin da bears in da nuts will give him confidence to go to stoolwater and TCB
BOOMER

My Opinion Matters
11/15/2010, 10:40 PM
Landry has the physical tools of an NFL qb. He'll be drafted by someone when it's his time.

StoopTroup
11/15/2010, 11:11 PM
Landry would have beat nebbishka if he'd been the pokes QB this year.

starclassic tama
11/16/2010, 12:27 AM
Landry has no deep ball!

He can throw it deep yes.... but absolutely no accuracy on the deep ball.

not even close to true

yankee
11/16/2010, 12:32 AM
at this point, he's not even close to ready for the NFL. 1-2 more years, and that probably changes. he's got all the measurables and what not that scouts like. as long as he keeps improving over his career, i see absolutely no reason why he won't be drafted...and potentially drafted high.

pappy
11/16/2010, 12:36 AM
Landry will go no later than 4th round in the draft...I'd say (if he stays through his senior year) late 1st - mid 2nd round pick.

You guys who think Jones sucks cause he isn't sam bradford are idiots.

cyclonesooner
11/16/2010, 12:36 AM
I heard Barry Switzer say on TV that Jones will be a first round draft pick when he leaves OU.

Leroy Lizard
11/16/2010, 12:40 AM
I heard Barry Switzer say on TV that Jones will be a first round draft pick when he leaves OU.

Then it's settled.

EDIT: Wait a minute. What would Switzer know about NFL QB draft picks?

yermom
11/16/2010, 12:42 AM
Hybl was almost an NFL QB. there were multiple teams that he was very close to making a roster on. i think Landry is already ahead of where Hybl was from what i can tell

if he stays healthy, i don't see why he wouldn't at least be on a roster somewhere, especially if he gets better with experience in the next two years

TXBOOMER
11/16/2010, 12:45 AM

When Bradford was a red shirt sophomore we were praying he wouldn't go to the draft. LJ doesn't have pocket presence or more importantly the quickness in the pocket to play in the NFL. I could care less if he plays in the NFL as long as he gets better on the road here. Most college QB's don't make a roster, LJ won't either.

yankee
11/16/2010, 12:55 AM
just thought i'd break the news to some sooner fans...

LANDRY JONES IS NOT SAM BRADFORD. SO STOP COMPARING THE TWO.

kthnx and bye.

Tigeman
11/16/2010, 01:21 AM
not even close to true

Ummmm have you watched him? There's a reason the true deep ball has been almost non-existent in our play book this year! It's b/c Landry over throws the receiver 90+ percent of the time. I can count on one hand the number of times he's dropped the ball right into the receivers hands while in stride on a 25+ yard bomb. But I can't even count the number of times using 2 hands that he's over thrown the receiver. He's not even 50% on this throw!

He's good w/ a receiver turning and stopping to catch the ball. But throwing it up and letting the receiver run underneath it is not his strong suit. It cost us a touchdown in both the A&M game and in the Mizzou game. All b/c he launched one of those damn steroid balls he's fond of.

I'm not saying he won't develop it, b/c the kid has great arm strength and can obviously get the ball there. Josh just needs to work w/ him on this, and teach him to arch the ball more.

Leroy Lizard
11/16/2010, 01:26 AM
When Bradford was a red shirt sophomore we were praying he wouldn't go to the draft.

Are you talking about the one that went #1 overall and set a salary record? That is your standard of comparison? If so, no QB is going to ever get drafted.

Sooner_Tuf
11/16/2010, 01:47 AM
Landry in the NFL? Who knows? It is a bit early to say for sure for anyone. I think he will get drafted and I think it is possible he becomes a starter.

The kid is a lot better QB than many are giving him credit as being.

Leroy Lizard
11/16/2010, 02:10 AM
Yeah, I have a friend from Florida State and he seemed to think that Landry was pretty good. Maybe even better than Christian Ponder.

CrimsonRez
11/16/2010, 04:04 AM
Ya that Tom Brady guy he wasn't very good in college either...I wonder where he is now days?

olevetonahill
11/16/2010, 04:23 AM
Landry in the NFL? Who knows? It is a bit early to say for sure for anyone. I think he will get drafted and I think it is possible he becomes a starter.

The kid is a lot better QB than many are giving him credit as being.

YUp. I cant understand every one trying to throw him under the Bus , hell they want Murry gone also tho . :confused:

olevetonahill
11/16/2010, 04:24 AM
Yeah, I have a friend from Florida State and he seemed to think that Landry was pretty good. Maybe even better than Christian Ponder.

Now yer just making **** up .:mad:

EnragedOUfan
11/16/2010, 04:29 AM
Landry will definately go to the NFL.......I can't think of any of sophmore QB in the college football that is as good as Landry right now...Yes, Landy sucks at times, but he's only a sophmore.....With continued development by the best in the business (Heupel), he's going to be a stud. If Seneca Wallace, Brodie Croyle, Chase Daniel, and Stephen McGee can get drafted for crying out loud, Landry Jones can get drafted. Landry Jones' game has improved a ton between his Freshman and Sophmore year. I have to think that his game will only get better as he continues to gain experience and progress for two more years......

TXBOOMER
11/16/2010, 08:51 AM
Are you talking about the one that went #1 overall and set a salary record? That is your standard of comparison? If so, no QB is going to ever get drafted.

My statement was not a comparison but a response to someone who was comparing him. I have never understood why people compare the two. Why does it matter if Landry if LJ plays in the NFL? JW or JH didn't stick to a roster but were good college QB's. LJ is very slow in the pocket and will have a hard time sticking to a roster. Again.....I could give a fuq less!

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2010, 10:12 AM
He's only a sophomore. Joe Montana only started every game in his senior season. Steve Young didn't start until his junior year.

we are in a different era of college football...there wasn't freshman and sophs starting all over the country when Montana and Young were in school

Breadburner
11/16/2010, 10:15 AM
I love these threads you can spot the ****-nuts right off...!!

MI Sooner
11/16/2010, 10:16 AM
Aside from Luck and maybe Barkley, are there are sophomores that are better prospects than Landry?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2010, 10:17 AM
Needs more time to mature. Certainly better than last year but under pressure, he reverts back to locking in on receivers to dump the ball off faster and occasionally leads the receiver into chaos.

Will improve over time... Luck is a very good QB already and ready for the pros. The 'Stache will need a little more time. He's still young.

Landry is 8 months older than Luck...

Landry has played 20 1/2 games
Luck has played 22 games

This is nothing negative against Landry..I just think it is time the young label came off

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2010, 10:33 AM
Aside from Luck and maybe Barkley, are there are sophomores that are better prospects than Landry?

I would have to say probably not.

Lets say he is the 3rd best senior quarterback in 2013..last year's 3rd senior quarterback was drafted in the 4th round, 5th quarterback drafted(Kafka)...in 2009 it was the 5th round(Bomar), 6th quarterback drafted..

delhalew
11/16/2010, 10:37 AM
LJ needs to quit getting grounding penalties every time he needs to throw it away.

Leroy Lizard
11/16/2010, 11:30 AM
we are in a different era of college football...there wasn't freshman and sophs starting all over the country when Montana and Young were in school

Age is age. When Steve Young was Landry's age, they were thinking of moving him to defense because he had poor passing skills. Yet in two years he was able to turn it around. If Steve Young can improve, why can't Landry?

OUmillenium
11/16/2010, 11:57 AM
I hope LJ tears it up, we win out, he goes to the NFL.

But...
1. He still has trouble simply throwing the ball away when a play isn't there. How can a 3rd yr Sophomore struggle with such a basic skill?
2. No pocket presence is of the same mindset.
3. Limited if any ability to read the action on the field after the snap.

He has shown very little improvement in the mental aspects of QB. Maybe it will come. I don't think it ever will.

He is great when option #1 is open/semi-open. He is terrible-average if option #1 is not there. Usually terrible. Very little has changed in 22 games.

I think this is part of the formula that limits the playbook by KW. Not sure what the other factors are.

The biggest improvement in the team this year, IMO, is that receivers are catching the ball waaaaaayyyyyyyy more consistently.

ouleaf
11/16/2010, 12:04 PM
He still has 2 years to hopefully develop, progress, and improve his game. Pretty sure he'll be a QB that shows well at Pro Day and other work outs. He needs to show he can win on the road and handle pressure better, improve his ability to progress through his reads, and he'll also need to show he can throw the deep ball.

Assuming he can improve on these things, it is possible that teams will look at him as a later round draft pick and bring him in as a 3rd string guy and hope he can continue to develop one day into a starting caliber QB that is a game manager more than a play maker.

Do I think this will be the case? more than likely it won't. I think he'll continue to put up solid numbers over the next 2 years and rely on the playmakers around him. He'll improve a bit, but unless he proves he can win against a tough team on the road, he can't be considered a serious NFL talent. He might be a late rd draft pick and get some looks as a teams 3rd string QB and hope he can develop into a respectable backup option, but I truly don't think we'll see Landry earning significant playing time in the NFL.

TXBOOMER
11/16/2010, 12:05 PM
Steve Young had quick feet. How many college QB's stick to an NFL roster every year? LJ is the 4th best in the big 12. You can't make a living throwing passes out to the flat and bubble screens in the NFL. QB's in the NFL are doing nothing but getting more athletic. Anyone watch Vick last night for that matter how about Sam scrambling around and working the pocket on Sunday? Cam Newton, Robert Griffin are the type of guys you will see teams going to. We should be going after these types of athletes IMHO. texass has one coming in next year.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2010, 12:06 PM
Age is age.

Not in sports...You have some who reach a ceiling while in high school as far as athletic ability...some are late bloomers and don't develop the tools til their senior year of college, some in the NFL..You can't say 2 guys are the same age, so they can do the same things..

When comparing Steve Young to LJ, you are comparing 2 guys who have nothing in common except they are white and played quarterback...

Leroy Lizard
11/16/2010, 12:12 PM
Not in sports...You have some who reach a ceiling while in high school as far as athletic ability...some are late bloomers and don't develop the tools til their senior year of college, some in the NFL..You can't say 2 guys are the same age, so they can do the same things..

Never said that. The point is simple: No one would have said that Steve Young would become an NFL QB at the end of his sophomore year. They didn't even think he would pan out as a college quarterback. Who's to say that LJ won't improve?

In other words, what good are our predictions?

Leroy Lizard
11/16/2010, 12:14 PM
Steve Young had quick feet. How many college QB's stick to an NFL roster every year? LJ is the 4th best in the big 12. You can't make a living throwing passes out to the flat and bubble screens in the NFL. QB's in the NFL are doing nothing but getting more athletic. Anyone watch Vick last night for that matter how about Sam scrambling around and working the pocket on Sunday? Cam Newton, Robert Griffin are the type of guys you will see teams going to. We should be going after these types of athletes IMHO. texass has one coming in next year.

How quick are the feet of the player drafted #1 last year?

CowboyMRW
11/16/2010, 12:16 PM
Hasn't Sam said he wishes he had the technique as good as Landry like the footwork. It seems that he has the physical just needs to get better between the ears which comes with more experience

My Opinion Matters
11/16/2010, 12:19 PM
People are forgetting Landry has above average arm strength and size, not to mention decent athleticism for his size. Those things alone would make him an upper round draft pick.

My Opinion Matters
11/16/2010, 12:21 PM
Hasn't Sam said he wishes he had the technique as good as Landry like the footwork. It seems that he has the physical just needs to get better between the ears which comes with more experience

This. Landry has the physical tools. This is what typically gets quarterbacks drafted. Between the ears, yeah, he still needs a lot of work.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2010, 12:21 PM
Never said that. The point is simple: No one would have said that Steve Young would become an NFL QB at the end of his sophomore year. They didn't even think he would pan out as a college quarterback. Who's to say that LJ won't improve?

In other words, what good are our predictions?

How could anybody had said that about Steve Young when he was sitting on the bench as a soph?

Leroy Lizard
11/16/2010, 12:23 PM
This board is a perfect example of why a player cannot listen to the fans. But actually this holds true in life: Whatever your ambitions, there will always be people on the sideline who will tell you that you can't do it.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2010, 12:26 PM
I've only read 5 posters out of this that don't think he can make it...I would hate to label 5 posters "the board".

I just think your comparison isn't good..A guy who has played 20 games as a sophmore vs none...

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2010, 12:31 PM
LJ will get a chance at the next level assuming he continues to progress - hard to predict where in the draft. Whether he makes depends on how coachable he turns out to be for the team (or teams) that give him a look. He has the physical skills and won the starting job at an elite school that likes to pass.

CowboyMRW
11/16/2010, 12:34 PM
He'll Jimmy Clausen is starting in the NFL :D

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2010, 12:35 PM
yeah....At this point, projecting the 2013 nfl draft, I would have to say 4th-6th round

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2010, 12:36 PM
He'll Jimmy Clausen is starting in the NFL :D

Carolina is so crappy at the qb position that it would be an excellent place for any qb to make the roster

sooneron
11/16/2010, 12:39 PM
Ummmm have you watched him? There's a reason the true deep ball has been almost non-existent in our play book this year! It's b/c Landry over throws the receiver 90+ percent of the time. I can count on one hand the number of times he's dropped the ball right into the receivers hands while in stride on a 25+ yard bomb. But I can't even count the number of times using 2 hands that he's over thrown the receiver. He's not even 50% on this throw!

Being able to add some touch to his throw is a lot easier than not having the juice to make the toss. You make it sound like over throwing is a bad thing when compared to the opposite- UNDER throwing. That is what gets you in trouble.

NormanPride
11/16/2010, 12:41 PM
He'll get his shot. He's got pretty good fundamentals and his arm strength is good. I'd say his deep ball needs tons of work if he's going to go any higher than 3rd round.

Rocko
11/16/2010, 12:45 PM
Landry is fine. We know his attitude is rock solid, from which we can assume his work ethic and coachability is pretty solid too. This will only lead to further progress IMO.

texas bandman
11/16/2010, 01:15 PM
Then it's settled.

EDIT: Wait a minute. What would Switzer know about NFL QB draft picks?

Switzer recruited Troy Aikman and was willing to change his offense for him. He ended up a fair NFL QB.

TXBOOMER
11/16/2010, 01:15 PM
How quick are the feet of the player drafted #1 last year?

Sam Bradford is Damn quick in the pocket, and can get out and run in space. Have you ever watched him play a game? You make some of the most whacked out statements of anyone on this board. You contimually bring Sam in this conversation and then ask why people compare the two. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

btb916
11/16/2010, 01:40 PM
I didn't think Colt McCoy would make it in the NFL. Turns out he just might.

I'll leave this guesswork to the experts...

Leroy Lizard
11/16/2010, 03:30 PM
Sam Bradford is Damn quick in the pocket, and can get out and run in space. Have you ever watched him play a game?

****, man, context is everything! Go back and read. I will highlight for your aid.

In terms of running ability, Sam Bradford is far closer to Landry Jones than any of these guys. In fact, I don't see a lot of difference between the two, other than that Bradford got to play behind a lot better line than Jones. When the line wasn't as good, he got caved in twice in the same season.

Okie35
11/17/2010, 02:07 AM
If Jevon Snead can get signed, Landry can get drafted. If Matt Cassel (an ex- back up at USC mind you) can get drafted Landry can get drafted. Its that simple. I've said it a few weeks ago too, Landry will be a legit Heisman candidate next year. I like LJ will do great at the combine.

yermom
11/17/2010, 02:34 AM
I didn't think Colt McCoy would make it in the NFL. Turns out he just might.

I'll leave this guesswork to the experts...

all he did was win more games than any college quarterback in history during his career. led his team in rushing one year even.

and he's bigger than Drew Brees... i'm not sure how one could assume he would bomb in the NFL

Scott D
11/17/2010, 03:45 PM
Carolina is so crappy at the qb position that it would be an excellent place for any qb to make the roster

I think you should drop Peyton for Tony Pike this week.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/17/2010, 03:47 PM
I know I've been playing the wrong manning brother

Scott D
11/17/2010, 03:47 PM
Ya that Tom Brady guy he wasn't very good in college either...I wonder where he is now days?

Brady wasn't that bad in college, the problem with him was that nobody knew all that much about him. Despite playing most of his 4 years there, he had the misfortune of having to be in a 2 QB system with the at the time "more impressive" Drew Henson.

Scott D
11/17/2010, 03:48 PM
I know I've been playing the wrong manning brother

I'll send you a message as to what other players of yours I want to pick up on waivers this week.

Collier11
all he did was win more games than any college quarterback in history during his career. led his team in rushing one year even.

and he's bigger than Drew Brees... i'm not sure how one could assume he would bomb in the NFL

alot of people thought Bradford wouldnt make it either, some people are dumb :D

Collier11
Jlew wants you to pickup Portis still

stoops the eternal pimp
11/17/2010, 03:49 PM
he is a 20 pt per game runningback!

Scott D
11/17/2010, 03:57 PM
Jlew wants you to pickup Portis still

hell Portis is a FA that will be cleared to play in two weeks. I'm trying to decide if Keiland Williams was just a flash in the pan...especially if Torain is "healthy" this weekend as I've heard he'll be.

85sooners
12/17/2010, 02:55 PM
:gary:

stoopified
12/17/2010, 05:15 PM
I have no idea if Landry will ever make the NFL,however I know for a fact he will get a shot.Heupel,Hybl,White,Thompson, and of corse Bradford all have gotten a shot at the league. Landry has shown he clearly is in the samw class *** all but Sam.In a year or two Landry will be more prepared (if he stays healthy).The NFL gave V9Y who couldn't read defenses or throw an NFL level pass) a shot so Landry will get hiw chance.Does the name Tebow ring abell?

kelloggOUballa
12/17/2010, 05:32 PM
I'm not sure I understand how this is even a question...Landry Jones has all the tools to be an NFL QB. He can make every throw, he just needs to limit his mistakes and that will come with time. Not like like had a 20-20 TD-INT ratio either... Dude can flat out play, and he's well above the level of all but Sam at OU when it comes to NFL talent. Sam has "elite" talent (Brady, Manning, Brees), whereas LJ, IMO, has a Romo/Rodgers type ceiling at this point.

KantoSooner
12/17/2010, 05:35 PM
Let's wait until we see Landry behind a strong line before we judge him too harshly. He had a good set of offensive tools to play with this year; but no where near what Sam had in 2008.

OUChampsBig12
12/17/2010, 05:41 PM
I am not a scout, and heck I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night - but I say Landry Jones is drafted and has a chance to make a roster as a NFL QB. The kid is good, sure he has made some mistakes but he has 2 years to improve on those! The only way Drew Allen or Blake Bell see the field in the next couple of years is in mop up duty, scripted plays designed for them, or injury. Landry Jones is very talented - he just followed Superman! Now will Landry start a Rookie, probably not, but who knows? If he chooses, I think Landry Jones could have a nice NFL Career! JMTCW!

Since71ASooner4Life
12/18/2010, 07:29 AM
Sam Bradford has obviously spoiled and ruined the perspective of quite a few people.

basel90
12/18/2010, 08:26 AM
He may get a shot at an NFL roster, but will probably be a 3rd or 4th round pick. He still lacks the big arm or deep ball accuracy . after more than 20 games in college, he still does not go thru his reads and progressions . You can see he locks into his first receiver option , and if it is not open he still gets flustered. He also lacks mobility. Although he has done well for OU , i fear Stoops may decide too late to go to Blake bell or the other prospects we have.

webfoot
12/18/2010, 09:50 AM
FIRE HYPEL!!! :rolleyes:

Well....it is the 800lb gorilla in the room.

sooner518
12/18/2010, 10:18 AM
He may get a shot at an NFL roster, but will probably be a 3rd or 4th round pick. He still lacks the big arm or deep ball accuracy . after more than 20 games in college, he still does not go thru his reads and progressions . You can see he locks into his first receiver option , and if it is not open he still gets flustered. He also lacks mobility. Although he has done well for OU , i fear Stoops may decide too late to go to Blake bell or the other prospects we have.

on perhaps the biggest play of OU's season, 3rd and 12 on our own 12, at OSU, up by 2, you think Cam Kenney was his first option? if you watch his head, you can tell he definitely wasnt

LostCreekSooner
12/18/2010, 08:00 PM
Tough crowd posting on this topic...

Landry is 6' 4" and 220 lbs... and will weigh more before he graduates. Has good arm strength and good accuracy (when not acting skittish). Seems like a good kid with a great attitude, and actually I think he has excellent pocket presence. Unfortunately, he gets happy feet when he feels the heat which is currently his major issue. I also disagree with everyone that says his ability to read defenses is poor. Yes, it can improve... and yes... it will improve.

Not to compare to Bradford, but he was NOT that great at reading defenses in college. He was so dang accurate that it didn't matter! Also, the internet chat from his summer workouts prior to the third year suggested he made huge strides in understanding / reading defenses.

People better get used to him, because he will be our starter the next 2 years unless he becomes injured. No way will Allen pass him, and Blake Bell didn't win any awards for his scout team involvement.

King Barry's Back
12/18/2010, 08:20 PM
Not flaming but will Landry even be the starter next year. It seems that I've heard some very high praises be sung of Drew Allen and was wondering if he will take over for Landry

About the middle of the season, there was open press speculation that next year, LJ would be replaced by Bell.

The reasoning was that Stoops is very enamored of Saban's zone read offense, and was looking for a QB that could play that role.

LJ really came on at the end of the season, so I don't how active this theory is at this time, but it'll be interesting to watch come spring ball.

Otherwise, haven't heard at all that Allen is in the mix. It's not Stoops's style to change QBs midcareer, so I'm skeptical on that.

King Barry's Back
12/18/2010, 08:23 PM

Go back and watch freshman Sam Bradford v. sophomore Sam Bradford.

Night and day. It's probably fair to say that LJ will never be as good as Sam Bradford is now, but consider that Sam Bradford is damn good.

Assuming that LJ keeps the starting spot, I'll be very interested to see his development.

As an aside, I assume that Josh H will still be coaching the QB position?

Leroy Lizard
12/18/2010, 09:03 PM
Go back and watch freshman Sam Bradford v. sophomore Sam Bradford.

I watched the Colorado game and, well, I fail to see your point.

Certainly not night and day:

Bradford: 237 of 341 (69.5%), 3121 yards, 36 TDs, 8 INTs
Jones: 371 of 568 (65.3%), 4289 yards, 35 TDs, 11 INTs (with one game to go)

Oh yeah, monstrous difference there. (And Bradford probably had the better line during his freshman year.)