PDA

View Full Version : Dog Chewing

SOONER44EVER
11/14/2010, 02:44 AM
Anyone know how to get a dog to stop chewing stuff. He chewed our cable line, the tire on a fertilizer spreader and the plug wire on a mower. The most annoying part is that he chewed the other dog's collar. I don't know if I'm morer pissed at him for chewing it or at the other dog for letting him. And the little ba$%ard is sneaky. I can't ever catch him doing it. :confused:

soonerinkaty
11/14/2010, 03:06 AM
Catch him doing it then beat his ***

SOONER44EVER
11/14/2010, 03:29 AM

I'm all for that. Just can't catch him.

soonerinkaty
11/14/2010, 03:42 AM

Hows that for a 500th post.

Rub his nose in what he was chewing then beat his ***.

SOONER44EVER
11/14/2010, 04:10 AM
Hows that for a 500th post.

Rub his nose in what he was chewing then beat his ***.

Did that. Still chewed stuff. I think I'm gonna try jalapeno juice on everything he chews.

pphilfran
11/14/2010, 07:42 AM

That won't work....a dog has about 2 seconds of short term memory....by the time you beat him he won't realize why he is getting beat..."Damn, katy called me over here and then beat me...I won't come the next time katy calls...."

Have an acceptable toy laying around for him to chew on....when you see him chewing on something that he is not supposed to chew on you give him the acceptable toy...

Depending of the dog this might take hundreds of reps....:P

Good luck....

waynepayne
11/14/2010, 10:36 AM
Anyone know how to get a dog to stop chewing stuff. He chewed our cable line, the tire on a fertilizer spreader and the plug wire on a mower. The most annoying part is that he chewed the other dog's collar. I don't know if I'm morer pissed at him for chewing it or at the other dog for letting him. And the little ba$%ard is sneaky. I can't ever catch him doing it. :confused:

Is it a puppy/are they teething?

Do they get walks?

Playtime set aside to play fetch or tug of war?

SOONER44EVER
11/14/2010, 11:42 AM
Is it a puppy/are they teething?

Do they get walks?

Playtime set aside to play fetch or tug of war?

He is about a year old. He won't chew on chew toys. The jalapeno juice seems to be working. I put some on the other dog's collar. I guess I should quit calling him the other dog. Chewer = Chumley. Chewee = Spike. Chumley looks like a Pug-Bulldog mix. Spike is a Boston Terrier.

Boarder
11/14/2010, 12:09 PM
That won't work....a dog has about 2 seconds of short term memory....by the time you beat him he won't realize why he is getting beat..."Damn, katy called me over here and then beat me...I won't come the next time katy calls...."

If the dog has a horrible memory, how will it know not to come the next time Katy calls?

soonerinkaty
11/14/2010, 12:14 PM

Have an acceptable toy laying around for him to chew on....when you see him chewing on something that he is not supposed to chew on you give him the acceptable toy...

Depending of the dog this might take hundreds of reps....:P

Good luck....

I don't believe in that. I've had dogs with a naughty streak and after I caught them a couple times they would know that they weren't supposed to be doing it.

My problem was digging. After a few times of catching and disciplining them, they learned to stay away from the flower bed.

SOONER44EVER
11/14/2010, 12:32 PM
If the dog has a horrible memory, how will it know not to come the next time Katy calls?

Heh!

Leroy Lizard
11/14/2010, 12:38 PM
He is about a year old. He won't chew on chew toys. The jalapeno juice seems to be working. I put some on the other dog's collar. I guess I should quit calling him the other dog. Chewer = Chumley. Chewee = Spike. Chumley looks like a Pug-Bulldog mix. Spike is a Boston Terrier.

I think he just doesn't like his name.

Leroy Lizard
11/14/2010, 12:41 PM
That won't work....a dog has about 2 seconds of short term memory...

Two minutes, not two seconds. A dog couldn't fetch a stick if it only had 2 seconds of short term memory. Ever seen a ranch dog corral cattle?

pphilfran
11/14/2010, 03:33 PM
Two minutes, not two seconds. A dog couldn't fetch a stick if it only had 2 seconds of short term memory. Ever seen a ranch dog corral cattle?

I said "about" two seconds....my "abouts" run up to "about" 5 minutes...:)

It is the last command that they will associate with the punishment....

My point is to be careful about spankings...

pphilfran
11/14/2010, 03:40 PM
One other thing....

That ranch dog does its work because of instinct....thousands of generations have ingrained that action....just like a dachshund likes to tunnel...

Fetching a stick is not really a taught command....associating the command to the action is what you teach the dog....if the retrieve action is not ingrained in the dog it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to teach the dog to retrieve....

proud gonzo
11/14/2010, 03:41 PM
I said "about" two seconds....my "abouts" run up to "about" 5 minutes...:)

It is the last command that they will associate with the punishment....

My point is to be careful about spankings...

I think the point you are attempting to make is to make sure the dog connects the punishment to what he's being punished for. That has nothing to do with their memory (which is actually pretty damn good)

proud gonzo
11/14/2010, 03:43 PM
One other thing....

That ranch dog does its work because of instinct....thousands of generations have ingrained that action....just like a dachshund likes to tunnel...

Fetching a stick is not really a taught command....associating the command to the action is what you teach the dog....if the retrieve action is not ingrained in the dog it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to teach the dog to retrieve....

and now you're just spouting crap and typing periods like soonerus.

StoopTroup
11/14/2010, 04:16 PM
Drop him off at Dean's and go get a new dog. ;)

pphilfran
11/14/2010, 04:35 PM
and now you're just spouting crap and typing periods like soonerus.

No crap...if you have a dog that has some lab or golden in it you will have a much greater chance of teaching the dog to fetch on command....a dachshund will have a much harder time retrieving...different breeds of working dogs will have varying talents due to hundreds of years of training and inbreeding...

You can use beatings or positive reinforcement to train a dog...I prefer positive reinforcement...

btw I have been using the periods for years....sorry if that offends...

pphilfran
11/14/2010, 04:43 PM
Using hot sauce or other nasty product will keep the dog from chewing on that particular object...

But he wants to chew and he will find something else to chew on....do your best to find something he likes to chew on and make that his chew toy...it may take a lot of trial and error....and a hundred reps....

Good luck!

proud gonzo
11/14/2010, 04:50 PM
No crap...if you have a dog that has some lab or golden in it you will have a much greater chance of teaching the dog to fetch on command....a dachshund will have a much harder time retrieving...different breeds of working dogs will have varying talents due to hundreds of years of training and inbreeding...

yes, a dog's breeding plays a part to its strengths and weaknesses, but you suggested that a dog herds or fetches or tunnels only because of instinct and not because of training and that its abilities are limited to what instinct has predetermined the dog knows how to do.

pphilfran
11/14/2010, 04:59 PM
yes, a dog's breeding plays a part to its strengths and weaknesses, but you suggested that a dog herds or fetches or tunnels only because of instinct and not because of training and that its abilities are limited to what instinct has predetermined the dog knows how to do.

That is predominately true...not all dogs will fetch...but dogs with retriever backgrounds will have a lot higher chance of being taught the command....

How do you teach a dog to herd sheep? You do it by teaching them the command to go along with their instinct to herd...if they don't have the instinct to herd you will find it nearly impossible to teach them the command....

waynepayne
11/14/2010, 05:37 PM

Sounds to me like a behavior born out of boredom. If you are walking them currently that is great if not you should be. I dont think the jalapeno juice is a long-term cure. IMO you have to change what drives the behavior.

pphilfran
11/14/2010, 05:41 PM
Sounds to me like a behavior born out of boredom. If you are walking them currently that is great if not you should be. I dont think the jalapeno juice is a long-term cure. IMO you have to change what drives the behavior.

Good point WP...make sure you keep the dog active....

Cheerin' 4 OU
11/14/2010, 06:16 PM
The trick is to wear the dog out and then keep its mind occupied.

I have a Saint Bernard that eats *everything* if we don't keep her exhausted with long walks and toy hiding time. The second we forget to do even one of those things, the chewing behavior starts right up again.

afs
11/14/2010, 09:49 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/panthr/auto%20shotgun.jpg

Partial Qualifier
11/14/2010, 10:23 PM
First of all - and this is the key thing - you need to make a rating list from "acceptable to chew on" to "never, EVER chew on that!". Then, when he chews on something, chew on him back. Literally. You're capable of coming up with your own rating system but as an example:

Chewing a tire on a fertilizer spreader = a quick bite on his tail
Chewing other dog's collar = a very hard bite on his hind leg, duration up to 30 seconds
Chewing the cable line = gnaw his ****ing face off

so on & so forth. YWIA. Good luck.

SOONER44EVER
11/15/2010, 02:08 AM
I think he just doesn't like his name.

Well he's stuck with it. He is definitely a Chumley.

SOONER44EVER
11/15/2010, 02:11 AM
First of all - and this is the key thing - you need to make a rating list from "acceptable to chew on" to "never, EVER chew on that!". Then, when he chews on something, chew on him back. Literally. You're capable of coming up with your own rating system but as an example:

Chewing a tire on a fertilizer spreader = a quick bite on his tail
Chewing other dog's collar = a very hard bite on his hind leg, duration up to 30 seconds
Chewing the cable line = gnaw his ****ing face off

so on & so forth. YWIA. Good luck.

:)

SOONER44EVER
11/15/2010, 02:16 AM
Here's a pic of the little Monsters.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q80/SOONER4EVER/boys3.jpg

Partial Qualifier
11/15/2010, 09:32 AM
Okay, I want that black one. :)

SOONER44EVER
11/15/2010, 10:22 AM
Okay, I want that black one. :)

The black one isn't the troublemaker.

AlboSooner
11/15/2010, 10:46 AM
Reward works better than punishment.

jumperstop
11/15/2010, 10:53 AM
Oh you have a pug...my roommate has one too. He is probably the stupidest dog ever. I've heard they are also some of the hardest dogs to train.

jumperstop
11/15/2010, 11:01 AM
The trick is to wear the dog out and then keep its mind occupied.

I have a Saint Bernard that eats *everything* if we don't keep her exhausted with long walks and toy hiding time. The second we forget to do even one of those things, the chewing behavior starts right up again.

I have a seven month old saint puppy and he is the same way. Not so much that he'll chew everything but you have to keep things put up. Sometimes I'll walk in the backyard and find all our shoes or the tv remotes just laying back there.

badger
11/15/2010, 11:20 AM
NP really really wanted doggies badly, so we also ended up two little bratty dogs that used to chew on everything. I've lost a beautiful comfy pair of OU slippers, the wire that connected our back speaker, the cat's favorite string (and a feather boa), countless papers, shoelaces, even underwear to their chewing habits.

Our biggest issue was their outdoor habits and it was largely due to us trusting them too much to behave like they did when we were watching. When we weren't watching, they dug up a Cox cable that we didn't even know was there (and then chewed it), dug up some of the flower bulbs I planted (ate them), dug holes just to sit in them, dug under the fence and escaped the backyard, dug up the old outdoor lights the people before us had installed... and then chewed on them...

Long story short, watch them. If you can't watch them 24/7, crate training really helps. They are not like cats that you can leave unsupervised forever. Dogs, especially puppies, will destroy your house when you blink.

jumperstop
11/15/2010, 11:35 AM
NP really really wanted doggies badly, so we also ended up two little bratty dogs that used to chew on everything. I've lost a beautiful comfy pair of OU slippers, the wire that connected our back speaker, the cat's favorite string (and a feather boa), countless papers, shoelaces, even underwear to their chewing habits.

Our biggest issue was their outdoor habits and it was largely due to us trusting them too much to behave like they did when we were watching. When we weren't watching, they dug up a Cox cable that we didn't even know was there (and then chewed it), dug up some of the flower bulbs I planted (ate them), dug holes just to sit in them, dug under the fence and escaped the backyard, dug up the old outdoor lights the people before us had installed... and then chewed on them...

Long story short, watch them. If you can't watch them 24/7, crate training really helps. They are not like cats that you can leave unsupervised forever. Dogs, especially puppies, will destroy your house when you blink.

Yeah fortunately I had a ****ty job when my dog was a puppy so I could be at home most days and watch him and socialize him real well. It's crappy cause my roomate really couldn't watch her dog a lot and I think because of that he's more of a trouble maker than my dog. Having free time is very important when you have a puppy. Of course you have to remember that puppies are puppies and will chew stuff up. I've lost many a things to my dog only to find them in pieces in the backyard. Anything important I make sure to put up high enough for him not to grab it.

NormanPride
11/15/2010, 11:51 AM
Exercise and entertainment. The dog is bored.

badger
11/15/2010, 11:59 AM
Exercise and entertainment. The dog is bored.

Get them things they're allowed to chew also. We have some big heavy duty bones (allegedly taste like chicken?) that they will never be able to destroy, no matter how diligent they are. They have chewed other things a lot less in their many attempts to destroy the indestructible bone.

NormanPride
11/15/2010, 12:08 PM
Some dogs just like to destroy things when they get bored. I do the same things sometimes... The key is to keep them entertained with things that they like doing. Walking them around different places is always good as well. Dogs get bored of the same walk just like you do.

SOONER44EVER
11/16/2010, 12:26 AM
Oh you have a pug...my roommate has one too. He is probably the stupidest dog ever. I've heard they are also some of the hardest dogs to train.

Hes not a pug. I believe he does have pug in him though. Pug and Bulldog is my guess.