PDA

View Full Version : When did Bob Barry do that?

cleller
11/13/2010, 06:18 PM
With all the talk about Bob lately, I was curious about when he did what in relation to radio game broadcasts. Here's a short summary from the Tulsa World:

Barry called games at OU from 1961-72, at Tulsa in 1973-74, and at Oklahoma State from 1973-90 before returning to OU in 1991.

I could have sworn that Brooks and Treps had come in earlier. For me, they were tops.

Bob may stumble some, but I've liked the guy my whole life. He deserves a positive thread.

soonercastor
11/13/2010, 06:33 PM
TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA

MichiganSooner
11/13/2010, 06:45 PM
I listened to most of the first half today, driving home from Tulsa. He sounded good. No "check that"s. Just as we pulled in the driveway, he said, "That would have been a great play by Landry if he hadn't been sacked." So, we heard another "Berryism". It is one of the trademarks of Bob. When we heard him say that, we both chuckled. It is supposed to be fun listening to a broadcast of a game.

I have lived all around the country and Bob does as good a job as anybody. That includes Ernie Harwell, Jack Buck, Marty Brennaman, Bob Ufer, Frank Beckman. I wouldn't put Bob in the same class as Ernie or Jack but he does a good job. Anyone who criticizes him needs to be put in his shoes and be asked...how well are you going to be doing YOUR job in your 50th year of doing your job? Think about that. Fifty years on the job. WOW!!!

cccasooner2
11/13/2010, 06:48 PM
TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA

ESPN3 sucked, I listened to Bob the whole game. :D

Harris County Sooner
11/13/2010, 08:42 PM
Something positive?

Well, Bob Barry never said "jiminy christmas".

Always_Sooner
11/13/2010, 09:15 PM
Nothing says OU football like the past 20 years with Bob Barry there through it all.

Always_Sooner
11/13/2010, 09:16 PM
A dark horse to replace Bob Barry in the booth would be Chuck Cooperstien...

SoonerDood
11/13/2010, 09:41 PM
A dark horse to replace Bob Barry in the booth would be Chuck Cooperstien...

Hardly a darkhorse when people were saying that 10 years ago after the 1st time BBS retired.

Always_Sooner
11/13/2010, 09:51 PM
Yea, well who do you think end's up coming into the booth? I wouldn't mind them coming after Bill Land...

Always_Sooner
11/13/2010, 09:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXobtRw-vWc

Cool video about Bob Barry behind the scenes...

bigfatjerk
11/13/2010, 10:32 PM
Brooks was here from 1978-1990. Treps was here from about 1973-1998 or so. He was the PBP guy for a while till he was moved to color in 76 or 77. Brooks came in in 78.

finster
11/13/2010, 11:03 PM
Better then the whorns guy:
Hey Gilbert,
Is the [censored] just that easy to come by these day’s? Can you really play like that and still get laid? FALL ON THE SWORD!! Feign a knee injury for the love of gawd! How can you possibly run your *** out there on the field again and again and again? You’re worse than any idiot patsy Don King ever threw in a ring. Getting the [censored] beat out of you only builds character for so long. You are well past that point.
Peter Gardier – Could complete a pass for more than 3 yds.
Jimmy Saxton – Would find a way to win
Shea Morenz – Could check down
James Brown – Beat OU
Chris Simms – Never threw 5 interceptions in a game.
Chance Mock – Knew when to quit.
Major and Vince – ‘nuff said.
You’re the worst qb we’ve rolled out in 20 yrs. QUIT!!!!! You’re making Greg Davis look bad.
I miss Mike.
Will. Get while the gettin’ is good.
Longhorn Girlie, I came on here in the mid 90’s and posted, “If we all pitch in a buck can we make this site work worth a damn?” You locked my post and sent me a scathing email. Now everytime I come here I get an automated message asking for a contribution. [censored] you. You’re worse than a bum panhandling for money who drives off in a Mercedes. Any [censored] *** server in India working for a dime an hour could pull off a better blog than this piece of crap. You’re a [censored] thief.

Posted tonight on Hornfans, I can only assume it's the play by play guy venting.

slh1234
11/13/2010, 11:16 PM
Something positive?

Well, Bob Barry never said "jiminy christmas".

I loved hearing "Jiminy Christmas!" Maybe it was that I just loved what precipitated the "Jiminy Christmas!" :)

cleller
11/14/2010, 08:08 AM
The sound of Mike Treps voice on a fall day brings back soothing memories.

stoopified
11/14/2010, 10:52 AM
The sound of Mike Treps voice on a fall day brings back soothing memories.Bingo