PDA

View Full Version : Led Zeppelin: Misty Mountain Hop

King Crimson
11/11/2010, 09:15 PM
that and Four Sticks are pretty underrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUvkxz1nHMM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyZc2Xqav_4&feature=related

sooner ngintunr
11/11/2010, 09:19 PM
their movie is underrated as well.

StoopTroup
11/11/2010, 09:24 PM
Whatta ya think I saw?

reflector
11/11/2010, 09:36 PM
fOEQTJV_3-w

King Crimson
11/11/2010, 09:41 PM
Whatta ya think I saw?

exactly.

OUthunder
11/11/2010, 10:02 PM
Misty Mountain Top is my favored tune by LZ.

King Crimson
11/11/2010, 10:36 PM
ooooo ooooo ooo oowwwooooo

i really don't know

Soonerman82
11/12/2010, 12:14 AM
Led Zeppelin is my fave rock band. Personally I think Carouselambra is thier most underrated song.

yermom
11/12/2010, 12:20 AM
not much talk of In Through the Out Door in general, really

although, i had heard Fool in the Rain on the radio for years and had no idea it was Zeppelin

as time has gone on, i think When the Levee Breaks might be my favorite on IV, but that whole album is classic.

Soonerman82
11/12/2010, 01:20 AM
I like When the Levee breaks too. I also like Dazed and Confused. Then again every song by Led Zeppelin is a good one. But Carouselambra is one of my faves.

Jammin'
11/12/2010, 02:36 PM
The Stones are by far my favorite, but it's impossible to overlook the fact that pretty much everything Zepplin did was amazing. Not much fluff in any album. Too bad it ended.

OUEngr1990
11/12/2010, 02:41 PM
My favorite underated song from Zeppelin was "How Many More Times" off their first album. I overlooked this song for years, being the last song on the album. Now it's one of my all time favorite songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RBxfSHw6KQ

OUEngr1990
11/12/2010, 02:46 PM
The Stones are by far my favorite, but it's impossible to overlook the fact that pretty much everything Zepplin did was amazing. Not much fluff in any album. Too bad it ended.

WORD. I never get tired of RS or Zep. Everything else I'm pretty much burned out on..

GDC
11/12/2010, 03:23 PM
If I had to pick one LZ song it would be "Nobody's Fault But Mine".

"In the Evening" or "The Ocean" are close runners-up.

silverwheels
11/12/2010, 04:02 PM
that and Four Sticks are pretty underrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUvkxz1nHMM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyZc2Xqav_4&feature=related

I agree.

as time has gone on, i think When the Levee Breaks might be my favorite on IV, but that whole album is classic.

Agree again.

My favorite underated song from Zeppelin was "How Many More Times" off their first album. I overlooked this song for years, being the last song on the album. Now it's one of my all time favorite songs:

And I also agree with this.

bigfatjerk
11/12/2010, 04:22 PM
This is probably their best underrated song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OHrbwckx3g

yermom
11/12/2010, 05:15 PM
The Ocean has always been my favorite underrated song by them:

9MxSW0zGsbw

it might have been the Beastie Boys sample that planted it in my head though. i didn't hear The Ocean until 10+ years after hearing this song:

tif1C6dwH6o

pphilfran
11/12/2010, 05:24 PM
Not necessarily underrated....

ZO2qO9FaIWU

SteelCitySooner
11/13/2010, 12:38 AM

You should check out How Many More Times on the BBC Sessions.. IT's absolutely an amazing medley! Plus you get to hear some mistakes made by Plant and how he recovers.. Awesome..

Leroy Lizard
11/13/2010, 02:27 AM
Underrated: The Rover.

LGVe6vZnUrg

Best song: No Quarter.

RKOngTfTMs0

Overrated: Black Dog. IMO, completely uncreative and monotonous.

GKeeper316
11/13/2010, 02:44 AM
zep's 2 best songs were robert johnson covers...

when the levee breaks and travelin riverside blues.

silverwheels
11/13/2010, 02:53 AM
"When the Levee Breaks" isn't a Robert Johnson song.

Leroy Lizard
11/13/2010, 03:11 AM
Don't interfere with the Robert Johnson love fest that infiltrates every discussion of rock that occurs here. ;)

bigfatjerk
11/13/2010, 12:41 PM
zep's 2 best songs were robert johnson covers...

when the levee breaks and travelin riverside blues.
Neither is really a Robert Johnson cover. Travelin' sounds nothing like any Robert Johnson song but it does steal some lyrics from Robert Johnson songs. Including
the "squeeze my lemon" lyric which was from the song of the same title, but it's not a true cover of any one Robert Johnson song.

ecwW2fX1Yew

When the Levee Breaks is a Memphis Minnie/Joe McCoy song. And that song also sounds nothing like the Zeppelin version other than most of the lyrics being the same.

i6C_5wxkuAQ

GKeeper316
11/13/2010, 03:45 PM
"When the Levee Breaks" isn't a Robert Johnson song.

oops, ya... kansas joe. i coulda swore i heard robert johnson play it once upon a time tho.

Partial Qualifier
11/13/2010, 10:18 PM

Good call.

although it's hard to grasp the 'underrated' label - I rate ALL their music pretty damn high

this is srs helloandgoodbye nip

Leroy Lizard
11/14/2010, 12:48 PM
You can come to appreciate the musicianship and sophistication of Led Zeppelin once you hear the originals.

GDC
11/14/2010, 04:37 PM
Jason Bonham has a group right now called Black Country Communion that is pretty good.

King Crimson
11/18/2010, 08:11 AM
Neither is really a Robert Johnson cover. Travelin' sounds nothing like any Robert Johnson song but it does steal some lyrics from Robert Johnson songs. Including
the "squeeze my lemon" lyric which was from the song of the same title, but it's not a true cover of any one Robert Johnson song.

ecwW2fX1Yew

When the Levee Breaks is a Memphis Minnie/Joe McCoy song. And that song also sounds nothing like the Zeppelin version other than most of the lyrics being the same.

i6C_5wxkuAQ

Jimmy was hardly alone in stealing blues tunes. sad, that Whitey World didn't catch on until Buddy Guy could stop driving a tow truck in the 90's.....but Bring it on Home is a Willie Dixon tune.

hellogoodbye
11/18/2010, 09:11 AM
Good call.

although it's hard to grasp the 'underrated' label - I rate ALL their music pretty damn high

this is srs helloandgoodbye nip

thats right, son :)

and its always better live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8y1axW264

King Crimson
11/18/2010, 09:24 AM
how the west was won...is a great thing for Zep fans.

hellogoodbye
11/18/2010, 09:43 AM
how the west was won...is a great thing for Zep fans.

that and the dvd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlNhD0oS5pk&playnext=1&list=PLF60560ACE70905CC&index=1

back on topic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwG9iRFmY1I

Best Song: No Quarter
agreed. Listening to For Badgeholders Only (LA Forum 77) version of NQ right now - awsomeness

bigfatjerk
11/19/2010, 10:02 PM
The live versions of most of their songs are better than the studio. At least from about 1969-75. Their 77 and later stuff wasn't near as consistent but there's still some good stuff here and there.

TitoMorelli
11/19/2010, 10:24 PM
fOEQTJV_3-w

This. Sheer greatness.

Leroy Lizard
11/19/2010, 10:45 PM
Dread Zeppelin, anyone?

GDC
11/21/2010, 02:13 PM
Jason Bonham was in Tulsa last week.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=29

Here is some info, including the set list, from the last time LZ played Oklahoma.

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/april-3-1977

En_Fuego
11/22/2010, 03:06 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bkjv9SscotY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bkjv9SscotY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Partial Qualifier
6/18/2011, 09:20 PM
This thread slow-started me on a rediscovery of the awesomeness of Led Zeppelin. Beyond the reminiscing and the nostalgia, this is just really great music.

Jimmy Page masterminded the best rock band ever, plus he was about 25 years ahead of his time as a guitarist, and that's probably giving all other guitarists too much credit. There may be guitarists who can get more technical and perform harder sequences, idunno, but nobody had the creativity Page has or can make a guitar sing like he did.

And most of this was early 70's!? WTF man. Truly amazing, that Page fellow.

Mongo
6/18/2011, 09:24 PM
This thread slow-started me on a rediscovery of the awesomeness of Led Zeppelin. Beyond the reminiscing and the nostalgia, this is just really great music.

Jimmy Page masterminded the best rock band ever, plus he was about 25 years ahead of his time as a guitarist, and that's probably giving all other guitarists too much credit. There may be guitarists who can get more technical and perform harder sequences, idunno, but nobody had the creativity Page has or can make a guitar sing like he did.

And most of this was early 70's!? WTF man. Truly amazing, that Page fellow.

stoner

Partial Qualifier
The solo on stairway to heaven -- I know the mention of stairway to heaven is an eye-roller, but upon further review the song is a masterpiece and the solo is just beautiful

bigfatjerk
It helps to have the best drummer ever and a singer that could sing any range, and a talented guy that could basically play any instrument ever made with him. But yeah Page was pretty amazing.

Partial Qualifier
6/18/2011, 09:25 PM
stoner

lol I KNEW you'd say that! You or mjcpr.

Or howzit.

Mongo
6/18/2011, 09:26 PM
lol I KNEW you'd say that! You or mjcpr.

Or howzit.

we are each others' trolls

Partial Qualifier
6/18/2011, 09:27 PM
It helps to have the best drummer ever and a singer that could sing any range, and a talented guy that could basically play any instrument ever made with him. But yeah Page was pretty amazing.

that's another thing, the collection of talent, I don't think any band in the history of the world has come close to equaling the talent these 4 guys had. And then, they had songwriting and interpretation that just kills anyone else before or since

Bonham: always full of sound, without over-doing it. So many other great drummers tend to overpower the music, but he never did

Flagstaffsooner
6/18/2011, 10:01 PM
And John Paul Jones is an amazing producer/mixer.

hawaii 5-0
6/19/2011, 01:09 AM
My personal favorite is Tea for One from Presence. Both Plant and Page pour their hearts out.

5-0

Trump/ Grant 2012

Flagstaffsooner
6/19/2011, 08:41 AM
Everyone is missing the boat here...

hAzdgU_kpGo

King Crimson
6/19/2011, 08:54 AM
My personal favorite is Tea for One from Presence. Both Plant and Page pour their hearts out.

huh, that's interesting. i think Nobody's Fault But Mine is underrated....you don't see too many Presence refs.

lotta stuff on 3. Out on the Tiles, etc.

in retrospect, one of the more hilarious pieces of received knowledge i had as a young music fan was that III was influenced by Crosby, Stills, and Nash and America and their hippie/folk success. that's what people say: acoustic and harmonious and all that.

nothing could be further from truth.....now, that i'm older and have listened to Fairport Convention (Sandy Denny, Richard Thompson), Pentangle (Bert Jansch can really play!), Roy Harper (the one you take your hat off to)...Nick Drake even....that's a very English folk record and that CSN comparison while always weird...the skiffle beat/folk music thing has FAR more history in the UK than being in debt to Suite Judy Blue Eyes. CSN and CSNY Deja Vu are classic LP's that be deserved to be heard in their entirety and not poached by Clear Channel on KWDD ("the Weed") for the hippie demographic on the dial.

Jimmy's acoustic playing isn't all blues.

hawaii 5-0
6/19/2011, 11:48 AM
True that. I think most people overlook Presence. I know I did for a number of years.

People tend to listen to what the FM Radio feeds them.

"Hats off to Roy" nice reference. I also didn't know the supposed influence of CSN, etc. on III.

I play III at work sometimes.

5-0

Trump/ Squirt 2012

silverwheels
6/19/2011, 02:03 PM
"Kashmir" lost its luster when they let Puff Daddy rape it for that terrible Godzilla movie.

"Achilles Last Stand" is probably right behind "When the Levee Breaks" for me.

pphilfran
6/19/2011, 03:11 PM
For everybody that attended Dean's party...

ecwjwwswM70

C&CDean
6/19/2011, 07:41 PM
You've all missed it:

bLkOE4XDBis&feature=fvst

SpankyNek
6/19/2011, 08:05 PM
I will concur with When the Levee Breaks, I would also say that generally D'Yer Maker is generally dismissed due to its simplicity and poppiness, but I dig it.

hawaii 5-0
6/19/2011, 08:11 PM
I coulda voted for When the Levee Breaks about 25 years ago but I've moved on a lot further. Great drums in that song, tho. It's hard to diss any Zep tune.

5-0

Trump/ Nick 2012

SpankyNek
6/19/2011, 08:22 PM
I coulda voted for When the Levee Breaks about 25 years ago but I've moved on a lot further. Great drums in that song, tho. It's hard to diss any Zep tune.

5-0

Trump/ Nick 2012
I think it's the harmonica...

hawaii 5-0
6/19/2011, 08:26 PM
I think it's the harmonica...

I must be, cause Jimmy's done better with his guitar twanger. Just some rhythm playing and some sliding.

Everyone has their favorite. It's all good.

5-0

Trump/ Bozo 2012

SpankyNek
6/19/2011, 08:40 PM
So, now I am digging through my Zeppelin, and I think that Ten Years Gone and Trampled Underfoot from Physical Grafitti and Heartbreaker from Led Zeppelin II are all solid contributions.

silverwheels
6/20/2011, 04:01 AM
So, now I am digging through my Zeppelin, and I think that Ten Years Gone and Trampled Underfoot from Physical Grafitti and Heartbreaker from Led Zeppelin II are all solid contributions.

Yes. Although you can't have "Heartbreaker" without "Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)".

hellogoodbye
6/20/2011, 07:49 AM
Immigrant song and Heartbreaker - best one\two live opening combo punch ever

:)

hellogoodbye
6/20/2011, 07:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO_EgW1zxWQ

Mississippi Sooner
6/20/2011, 09:30 AM
My favorite Zep song that isn't widely known by the masses has always been Since I've Been Loving You. It isn't because of the guitar, bass or drums, although they are all spectacular, but Plant tore it down with his voice on that one track in an awesome way.

bigfatjerk
6/20/2011, 12:43 PM
I think my favorite is probably a song they only played live. But really there is no wrong choice.

N-NkDIm1thk

GDC
6/20/2011, 04:28 PM

I didn't know Neil Peart was in Led Zeppelin.

picasso
6/20/2011, 04:32 PM
You've all missed it:

bLkOE4XDBis&feature=fvst

I caught that many a year ago.

King Crimson
6/21/2011, 08:46 PM
I caught that many a year ago.

i saw that animation stuff too as a kid. it wasn't bad for the Hobbit. the LoTR one was pretty lame. there was an illustrator who did some pretty sick (for a kid like me) illustrations (Terry Brooks)....i had that calendar one year.

anyone remember the Lotr parody Bored of the Rings....with the character the Ballhog. dribble, dribble, fake, swish....or something.

King Crimson
6/21/2011, 08:49 PM
even though someone mention D'yer Maker....Bonzo isn't the best drummer ever (that's probably Elvin Jones, really)....because Bonham can't play a reggae beat to save his life.

outside of some band you saw play at a frat house, that's one of worst reggae songs ever. once you understand what it's supposed to be.

bigfatjerk
6/21/2011, 08:55 PM
He's the best rock drummer ever. A bunch of jazz guys are better. I love Neil Peart but he's a better lyricist than drummer IMO.

Partial Qualifier
7/9/2011, 10:18 PM

I'm rocking this right now. Gotta be one of my top 3 favorite zeppelin songs

that link's dead so here's another one:

9J8-xmbfBWc

Partial Qualifier
7/9/2011, 10:21 PM
And I keep coming back to this Dazed & Confused from their first-ever concert in North America a few weeks before the release of Led Zeppelin 1.. interesting:

QALjWAv_bXk

Flagstaffsooner
7/9/2011, 11:09 PM
Jimmy with the Yardbirds.
58mQvW0ROag

the-rover
7/9/2011, 11:32 PM
By far.........

Underrated: The Rover.

LGVe6vZnUrg

edit: oops, didn't realize the video was no longer available.... here's a link to help ya out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JybkqBGrVs

soonerboomer93
7/9/2011, 11:53 PM
huh, that's interesting. i think Nobody's Fault But Mine is underrated....you don't see too many Presence refs.

The page and plant version of nobody's fault but mine (and when the levee breaks) are the reason to own the album.

soonerboomer93
7/10/2011, 12:03 AM
Immigrant song and Heartbreaker - best one\two live opening combo punch ever

:)

Close, but no

hawaii 5-0
7/10/2011, 02:47 AM
I didn't know Neil Peart was in Led Zeppelin.

Tho I like Rush, when I hear their music it seems the drums are overshadowed by the guitar and Geddy Lee's vocals.

Could someone direct me to one particular Rush song with an example of Neil Peart's drumming that makes him aguably the world's best drummer.

5-0

Trump/ Bongo 2012

GDC
7/10/2011, 06:21 AM
Tho I like Rush, when I hear their music it seems the drums are overshadowed by the guitar and Geddy Lee's vocals.

Could someone direct me to one particular Rush song with an example of Neil Peart's drumming that makes him aguably the world's best drummer.

5-0

Trump/ Bongo 2012

JWyABiUpihs

jk the sooner fan
7/10/2011, 07:36 AM
just stumbled on this thread - its really hard to think of any LZ song as being "underrated"

they were pure greatness......i'm more of a Rolling Stones fan myself, but LZ is a very close second

BigTip
7/10/2011, 08:28 AM
It's a known fact that the only thing that intimidates Chuck Norris is the awesomeness of Led Zeppelin. Seriously, look it up on Snopes.

"Thank You" was my wedding song.

Zeppelin albums are still in the top 100 of sales charts every year.

They'll be regarded like Beethoven is 200 years from now.

Partial Qualifier
7/10/2011, 09:21 AM

5-0

Trump/ Bongo 2012

See I loved Rush and thought Peart was the best drummer ever but now my opinion is his drumming was often just too much -- obnoxiously overdone at times and generally too 'busy'.

Again, just my opinion. I still believe he's probably the most technically skilled drummer, his ability is amazing. I can already feel the Rush-lovers hate coming my way..

Hey 5-0 -- do you mean "Trump / Bonzo? :D

pphilfran
7/10/2011, 09:28 AM
See I loved Rush and thought Peart was the best drummer ever but now my opinion is his drumming was often just too much -- obnoxiously overdone at times and generally too 'busy'.

Again, just my opinion. I still believe he's probably the most technically skilled drummer, his ability is amazing. I can already feel the Rush-lovers hate coming my way..

Hey 5-0 -- do you mean "Trump / Bonzo? :D

Obnoxiously overdone? I'm crying...

hellogoodbye
7/11/2011, 12:49 PM
Close, but no

suggestions?

bigfatjerk
7/11/2011, 06:50 PM
One of their rehearsals for the O2 gig was just leaked the last few days.

L2LdvGm33SM

salth2o
7/11/2011, 07:41 PM
Not necessarily underrated....

ZO2qO9FaIWU

my favorite!

jk the sooner fan
7/11/2011, 09:00 PM
can we get some love for my 3d favorite band of all time?

hKUBTX9kKEo

hellogoodbye
7/12/2011, 08:10 AM
bumpus

GDC
7/22/2011, 07:43 PM
nq1tpCkAecI