PDA

View Full Version : USAToday Article on Sooners

Whet
11/11/2010, 06:22 PM
I didn't see this posted, so here it is:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/big12/oklahoma.htm

INSIDE SLANT
Maybe it's all about expectations.
Maybe if Oklahoma had never been the original No. 1 in the BCS standings, the feeling around the program these days would be something else entirely. And yet, that may be a bridge too far, because where is there room for a rosy scenario when a team has lost two of its last three games, can't seem to correct continued fourth-quarter ineptness and continues to find ways to rack up yards and first downs without racking up points?
Still, it all comes down to perspective.
Bob Stoops was his normal not-very-cooperative self Tuesday. Whatever the issues facing the Sooners that create such patterns -- poor road play, poor fourth-quarter play, an inability to make big plays, etc. -- the coach prefers to deal with them in a vacuum, talking about execution and alignment rather than mentality.
"I believe it's execution in the end," he said. "I could say a lot of things that don't matter. They're just excuses and reasons."
Well, nobody likes excuses, but everybody likes reasons. They simply want to know why the same things continue to plague Oklahoma. And, really, Stoops saying he "could say a lot of things" makes one think he has some reasons he simply won't share.
Whatever, the coach is offering nothing to disturb everybody's feeling that something's off with this team, that struggles are ongoing, that there are problems they just can't seem to solve.
Enter offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson.
Even in the face of two recent losses, an embarrassing three goal-line stands by Texas A&M last Saturday, continued fourth-quarter struggles, blah, blah, blah, Wilson actually sees things positively.
What he took from the A&M loss was Oklahoma's third-quarter rally. It's not a stretch to say he views the experience as a building block.
"I saw a different outlook from a young team that, in a different time, might have closed up shop," he said, adding, "This team is completely different from last year."
That team crumbled mentally in the face of staggering injury problems before closing strong after losing five of its first 11 games. But Wilson sees this team as far more mentally tough and getting tougher all the time.
"I think we've made some growth," he said.
So it's all about expectations.
Or perception.
Are the Sooners building or falling?
Hard to know.
Saturday, Texas Tech visits Owen Field.
Nobody expects the Sooners to lose, yet coming road games at Baylor and Oklahoma State will determine the fate of Oklahoma's season.
Expectations will determine how the results are regarded.
NOTES, QUOTES
--It's part of the hubbub that comes after a loss, but running backs coach Cale Gundy is under fire in the Sooner Nation. Tuesday, Bob Stoops said offensive personnel issues belong to the position coach, the coordinator and the head coach. About 20 minutes later, offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson explained it's really the position coach's call. Wilson and Stoops may have vetoes, but the way Oklahoma operates, position coaches have near total autonomy to make personnel calls over the course of the game. Against Texas A&M, that meant 39 touches for senior running back DeMarco Murray and five for freshman lightning bug Roy Finch. Wilson, as softly as he could say it, indicated that kind of discrepancy is being addressed.
--Oklahoma has won 35 straight games at home, but winning 36 may mean winning the game by the end of the third quarter. Because, even at home, the Sooners haven't been very good in the fourth quarter, getting outscored by Utah State, Air Force and Florida State earlier this season. The discrepancy has been worse on the road. Combined, the Sooners have been outscored 81-32 in the fourth quarter. In the first three quarters, the Sooners have outscored opponents 273-112.
--For three years running, the Sooners have had placekicking problems. Every year, the guy who began the season with the job has lost it. Last season and this one, the guy who the job fell to has given it back. But Oklahoma's special teams problems don't end there. The Sooners have no special teams touchdowns (not to mention no defensive touchdowns) this season. Mossis Madu has a 77-yard kickoff return and Ryan Broyles has a 31-yard punt return. That's as close as Oklahoma has come.
SERIES HISTORY: Oklahoma leads Texas Tech 12-5 (last meeting, 2009, 41-13 Texas Tech).
SCOUTING THE OFFENSE: It's the same old story. The Sooners are very capable but hardly consistent. Quarterback Landry Jones is easily the best example, but not the only example. But they're at home Saturday, so everything should be fine. In two previous conference home games, Oklahoma has picked up more than 1,300 yards of offense and scored 95 points. In three conference games away from home -- Texas (Dallas), Missouri and Texas A&M -- the Sooners gained 1,124 yards and scored 75 points. Even in one more game, the aggregate numbers are significantly lower. Good thing Oklahoma's at home Saturday.
SCOUTING THE DEFENSE: Same story, different side of the ball. In those two conference home games, the defense allowed 10 points and 446 yards. In the three away from home, the defense allowed 80 points and 1,251 yards. Again, good thing the Sooners are at home this week. One thing the defense has done, even on the road, is get takeaways (six away from home in the conference). Jamell Fleming is coming off a two-interception day at Texas A&M.
QUOTE TO NOTE: "It's very frustrating. You practice all week long. It's not like we're going out there not to win. We want to win, we want to do good. Everybody wants do good, but then when you go on the road and don't win, it's really frustrating. Watching film, we left so many points out there. We left so many mistakes; it's really unsettling to see." -- OL Eric Mensik, still digesting Oklahoma's problems on the road.
STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL
THIS WEEK'S GAME: Texas Tech at Oklahoma, Nov. 13 -- The Sooners (7-2, 3-2 Big 12) are coming off a loss at Texas A&M. The Red Raiders (5-4, 3-4) are coming off a huge victory over Missouri.
KEYS TO THE GAME: Red-zone conversions for the offense, which was stuffed at the goal line three times against Texas A&M two weeks after giving away similar opportunities in Oklahoma's first loss at Missouri. For the defense, it's the simple stuff, alignment and execution. Small-detail breakdowns led to two late Texas A&M touchdowns last week that kept the Sooners' second-half rally at bay.
PLAYERS TO WATCH:
QB Landry Jones -- Jones missed a wide open Kenny Stills for a certain touchdown early against Texas A&M. Hit a pass like that against Texas Tech and not only will it jump-start Jones, but it also will encourage the coaches to run or pass at the goal line, as opposed to the A&M game where they refused to let Jones pass and had every run stuffed.
RB Roy Finch -- Finch will likely get more chances against Texas Tech than he did against Texas A&M. The fans want to see it and so do the coaches after overworking DeMarco Murray last week.
ROSTER REPORT:
--The Sooners get DE/LB Ronnell Lewis back for the Texas Tech game, and the kick cover team might be where he's been missed the most the last three games, a time in which Oklahoma has allowed two kickoff returns for touchdowns.
--It's unclear who will take placekicks Saturday, Jimmy Stevens, Patrick O'Hara or both. Against Texas A&M it was both, with O'Hara making a field goal from 45 yards and missing one from 36, while Stevens kicked and made both of Oklahoma's extra points.
--True freshman DT Daniel Noble is "doubtful" for the Texas Tech game, according to coach Bob Stoops. Noble suffered an ankle injury against Iowa State.

soonercastor
11/11/2010, 06:32 PM
sa-weeet Ronnell is BACK

jumperstop
11/11/2010, 06:34 PM
Glad to see Ronnell will be back.

StoopTroup
11/11/2010, 06:35 PM
:(

It's unclear who will take placekicks Saturday, Jimmy Stevens, Patrick O'Hara or both. Against Texas A&M it was both, with O'Hara making a field goal from 45 yards and missing one from 36, while Stevens kicked and made both of Oklahoma's extra points.

jumperstop
11/11/2010, 08:40 PM
:(

And to think after that 45 yarder I thought we had our kicking game back in business....

tcrb
11/11/2010, 09:09 PM
Pretty accurate analysis.

SoonerLB
11/11/2010, 09:11 PM
Tuesday, Bob Stoops said offensive personnel issues belong to the position coach, the coordinator and the head coach. About 20 minutes later, offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson explained it's really the position coach's call. Wilson and Stoops may have vetoes, but the way Oklahoma operates, position coaches have near total autonomy to make personnel calls over the course of the game. Against Texas A&M, that meant 39 touches for senior running back DeMarco Murray and five for freshman lightning bug Roy Finch. Wilson, as softly as he could say it, indicated that kind of discrepancy is being addressed.

Maybe it's just me, but I think what personnel are on the field would have a direct corelation to the success of any particular play that is called. This sounds as though one coach is sending in players and the other sending in the plays. I would want the player best suited to the play on the field if I were calling the plays if at all possible, not whoever another coach arbitrarily sent on the field.

Or as in the current play calling environment, we need the best guy to catch the two swing passes, and the best guy to run the draw play up the center's back. ;)

tcrb
11/11/2010, 09:34 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I think what personnel are on the field would have a direct corelation to the success of any particular play that is called. This sounds as though one coach is sending in players and the other sending in the plays. I would want the player best suited to the play on the field if I were calling the plays if at all possible, not whoever another coach arbitrarily sent on the field.

Or as in the current play calling environment, we need the best guy to catch the two swing passes, and the best guy to run the draw play up the center's back. ;)

I agree. This philosophy just doesn't make sense to me. It's not like the skill players are interchangeable parts. seems to me they all have individual strengths and weaknesses that should be utilized. :confused:

Leroy Lizard
11/11/2010, 09:37 PM

I'm sure they coordinate their activities.

jumperstop
11/11/2010, 09:44 PM

So you mean they aren't just playing telephone on those fancy headsets? Or when I see Landry on the sideline talking on the phone, it's not with his gf? :P ;)

Jacie
11/11/2010, 09:56 PM
Nice article. Of course, here's just one example of how numbers can lie.

Look at team defense. Total yards allowed/game, sa*et is fifth overall (267.3 yards/game). Oklahoma is 67th (374.4 yards/game). However, in points allowed, Oklahoma gives up 21.4/game to the whorns 23.3. You wouldn't think a measely 1.9 ppg averaged over nine games would make that much differnce but the Sooners have 3 more wins and 3 fewer losses than the whorns.

Point of this exercise is this stuff will drive you crazy if you think there is some kind of formula or algorithm that can predict what Team A will do as opposed to Team B.

StoopTroup
11/11/2010, 10:34 PM
I think if I was gonna kick FGs for OU....I'd be out practicing everyday until my leg fell off.

Okie35
11/11/2010, 10:41 PM
I think if I was gonna kick FGs for OU....I'd be out practicing everyday until my leg fell off.

This

MiccoMacey
11/11/2010, 10:49 PM

Then you'd be useless as a kicker. :)

aurorasooner
11/11/2010, 10:54 PM
Just read Tramel's article OU football: Statistically historic loss at A&Mhttp://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2010/11/11/ou-football-statistically-historic-loss-at-am/
In its history, OU never before had run as many as 104 plays, which the Sooners did against the Aggies. The previous school record was 102. You might not believe these stats:

* In games in which OU had run more than 90 plays, the Sooners had been 39-0, according to Sooner stat historian Mike Brooks. The only time OU lost when running 90 plays was the 1968 Bluebonnet Bowl, 28-27 to SMU.

* OU had 29 first downs against the Aggies. TWENTY-NINE. OU’s record in games in which it had made at least 29 first downs? It was 57-0 before last Saturday.
But there is no denying why OU lost this game. OU lost this game not because its offense failed to move the football or even produce big plays (which it didn’t). OU lost this game because its offense couldn’t make a yard or a foot despite chance after chance after chance. He{{, If KW's play calling inside the red-zone isn't working on the road, or our OL can't move the opposing defenses off the ball in the RZ on the the road, then, change it up, and when we get in the RZ, let another offensive coach give it a shot & call the plays when we get in the RZ. If that doesn't work, then take 2 or 3 delay of game penalties to get us outside the 20, & then maybe we'll score. Sure as he{{ couldn't do much worse that KW did last Saturday night.
Also what good does it do to run 104 plays on offense when you dink & dunk down to the RZ & can't score? Why not change it up in the RZ and actually huddle-up, and then see if our OL can push somebody off the ball. If they can't on 1st down, then huddle-up again, & run a play-action pass. That should fool the defense. Just try something different.
Freakin' embarrassing to let a middle-of-the-road team like aTm (even more embarrassing for teams like Idaho State last year) to make goal-line stands on our offense, but 3 goal line stands in one game is absolutely ridiculous, and certainly embarrassing for the OC & head coach (or if not, it should be).

Leroy Lizard
11/12/2010, 01:56 AM
He{{, If KW's play calling inside the red-zone isn't working on the road, or our OL can't move the opposing defenses off the ball in the RZ on the the road, then, change it up, and when we get in the RZ, let another offensive coach give it a shot & call the plays when we get in the RZ.

If calling plays is KW's responsibility, then he needs to call the plays. A coach needs to be careful about undercutting the authority of his assistants. After all, the coaching crew acts like a team of its own.

If that doesn't work, then take 2 or 3 delay of game penalties to get us outside the 20, & then maybe we'll score. Sure as he{{ couldn't do much worse that KW did last Saturday night.

I'll assume you meant that last suggestion in jest.

BTW, you say it couldn't get worse. It can. It can almost always get worse. We're 7-2 and in reasonable shape to compete for a conference title. Handle it badly and things can spin out of control. The result? Well, just look at a certain school south of us to see what happens.

For the record, Stoops is handling this problem pretty well. He's not caving in to fan demands to throw his staff under the bus and he isn't letting the RZ problems become a distraction. That's why he gets paid the big bucks.

Also what good does it do to run 104 plays on offense when you dink & dunk down to the RZ & can't score? Why not change it up in the RZ and actually huddle-up, and then see if our OL can push somebody off the ball. If they can't on 1st down, then huddle-up again, & run a play-action pass. That should fool the defense. Just try something different.

Once a coach starts trying wild ideas, all is lost. Rarely do they work and they convey the image that the coaching staff is completely clueless about the problem and its solution. (It may be clueless, but you don't want to air that out publicly.) At that point authority begins to break down.

If I'm Stoops, I sit down with KW, analyze tape, and simply ask him, "What else could we have done? Type me up a report and have it in to me by Tuesday." I would provide some commentary back, but ultimately I would let KW come up with the answers.

SoonerWarMachine#1
11/12/2010, 08:43 AM
Just read Tramel's article OU football: Statistically historic loss at A&Mhttp://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2010/11/11/ou-football-statistically-historic-loss-at-am/ He{{, If KW's play calling inside the red-zone isn't working on the road, or our OL can't move the opposing defenses off the ball in the RZ on the the road, then, change it up, and when we get in the RZ, let another offensive coach give it a shot & call the plays when we get in the RZ. If that doesn't work, then take 2 or 3 delay of game penalties to get us outside the 20, & then maybe we'll score. Sure as he{{ couldn't do much worse that KW did last Saturday night.
Freakin' embarrassing to let a middle-of-the-road team like aTm (even more embarrassing for teams like Idaho State last year) to make goal-line stands on our offense, but 3 goal line stands in one game is absolutely ridiculous, and certainly embarrassing for the OC & head coach (or if not, it should be).

YEP!

texaspokieokie
11/12/2010, 10:04 AM

thus the title, Offensive coordinator.