PDA

View Full Version : Which vet do you thank most today?

sooneron
11/11/2010, 01:43 PM
Besides the multitudes of vets that have served OUR country, single out someone that you know or love that has worn or is wearing the uniform that represents OUR country.

Mine is my cousin's husband: Maj Gen Anthony Cucolo
A great man and someone that I looked up to when I was a lad. I was a groomsman in their wedding way back when.

http://www.stewart.army.mil/CommandGroup/thirdID/cg.asp

Major General Tony Cucolo
Commanding General
3rd Infantry Division

Major General Tony Cucolo assumed command of the 3rd Infantry Division and Fort Stewart/Hunter Army Airfield, Georgia on 14 July 2008. After deployment of the 3rd Infantry Division Headquarters in October 2009, he assumed command of US Division-North, home-based in Tikrit, Iraq. In this capacity, he is responsible for all US forces operating in the seven provinces north of Baghdad. US Division-North has a current strength of just under 10,000 Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen.

Major General Cucolo was commissioned a Second Lieutenant of infantry in 1979. He has served 18 of the past 31 years in infantry and armor divisions. He commanded two companies and was an operations officer at both the battalion and brigade level. He commanded an Infantry battalion in Germany and deployed his unit as a combined arms task force for the first eleven months of the Balkans NATO Implementation Force (IFOR) in the contested area of Brcko, Bosnia. Major General Cucolo also commanded 3rd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division, and was the Assistant Division Commander for the 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry), Fort Drum, New York. While in this capacity, he deployed to Afghanistan for Operation Enduring Freedom and served as Deputy Commanding General, CJTF-180, during the 10th Mountain Division’s service there in 2003-2004.

Major General Cucolo's other Joint assignments include duty with the Joint Staff at the Pentagon from July 2001 to July 2003, with service in the Strategy and Policy Directorate (J5), Chief of the Future Operations Group in the Operations Directorate (J3) immediately after 9/11, and then Chief of European and NATO Policy, J5. His most recent joint assignment was as Director, Joint Center for Operational Analysis, US Joint Forces Command, from September 2004 through May 2006. While in this capacity, Major General Cucolo deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan multiple times, embedding in joint operational headquarters there, as well as duty with JTF-Katrina to develop the lessons learned from civil support operations in the US Gulf Coast region. Major General Cucolo arrived at the 3rd Infantry Division after a two year tour in the Pentagon as the Chief of Public Affairs for the United States Army.

Major General Cucolo has been a staff officer at Division and Army level and was the Director of Combined Arms Tactics and Doctrine at the US Army Infantry School. He is a graduate of the US Marine Corps Amphibious Warfare School, the US Army Command and General Staff College, and the US Army War College. He holds a bachelor’s degree from the US Military Academy and a master’s degree from the University of San Francisco.

http://www.stewart.army.mil/CommandGroup/thirdID/images/CG.jpg

soonerbrat
11/11/2010, 02:00 PM
My cousins, Justin, Lucas and Jacob - Air Force; Johnny - Marines; my stepdad - Army Ranger; Bob Kalsu - OU player in the 60's, died in Vietnam.

soonerchk
11/11/2010, 02:04 PM
Pat Tillman. Didn't know him personally but anyone who was happy to give up a cushy lifestyle to protect his country earns my respect and admiration.

Actually, I couldn't pick just one that I know. Everyone who serves has made a sacrifice.

StoopTroup
11/11/2010, 02:07 PM
All of the Vets who post on SoonerFans. You know who you are.

soonerbrat
11/11/2010, 02:07 PM
All of the Vets who post on SoonerFans. You know who you are.

ok, those guys too. and Pat Tillman. and all of the rest of them.

sooneron
11/11/2010, 02:22 PM
I did say, "Besides the multitudes". And yes, especially Howard.

3rdgensooner
11/11/2010, 02:23 PM
This one guy I call Major Hottie, and everyone else that's donned a uniform. They are all heroes.

soonerbrat
11/11/2010, 02:24 PM
This one guy I call Major Hottie, and everyone else that's donned a uniform. They are all heroes.

bleh. does that mean I have to thank my stupid ex husband?

3rdgensooner
11/11/2010, 02:30 PM
bleh. does that mean I have to thank my stupid ex husband?No. I just acknowledged him for you.

soonerchk
11/11/2010, 02:35 PM
bleh. does that mean I have to thank my stupid ex husband?

I'm not thanking my ex, so I don't think you should have to either.

NormanPride
11/11/2010, 02:36 PM
Howard's pretty awesome. Thanks, buddy. :)

I've got to go with my grandfather, though. Guy played in the sand a bunch in WW2 and then got to visit Rome and hang out there for awhile. Pretty much awesome in my mind!

Collier11
11/11/2010, 04:11 PM
Id say my Grandfather, not only cus he is a Vet but also cus he is the single Greatest Christian man that I ever knew.

Anything that I have ever learned about being a good man I learned from him.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/11/2010, 04:32 PM
My dad, did a tour in Korea. Came home finished school and got a job in Luther as a math teacher and basketball coach - his dream job. Six days into the job got called up by the reserves and went back to Korea for a second time.

Came home with Lupus and died in the VA hospital in OKC.

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt227/lonesoonerranger/dadKorea.jpg

GKeeper316
11/11/2010, 04:41 PM
me, my dad, my brother, my uncle, my cousin, my grandfather, his father and on and on and on down the line untill the first of my family to serve america in the continental army.

Howzit
11/11/2010, 04:45 PM
My niece's husband, who is deploying to Afghanistan next week. He is an 11 Bravo, and leaving a young wife and a 2 year old daughter to defend his country.

I will be bringing he and my niece to the tailgate Saturday. If you are there, please say hello and good luck, it will mean a lot to him.

Veritas
11/11/2010, 04:49 PM
My dad (Nam) and my Grandpa (WWII ETO)

SanJoaquinSooner
11/11/2010, 04:50 PM
...and then there's a vet's vet:

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/sanjoaquinsooner/olevet.jpg

SoonerStormchaser
11/11/2010, 04:50 PM
It's already the 12th here...but yesterday was definitely the most memorable Vet's day I've ever had...spent flying over Asscrackistan.

olevetonahill
11/11/2010, 04:51 PM
Cant single out Just one. I know a Bunch and they all were Great in their own way

jumperstop
11/11/2010, 05:10 PM
Home of the Sooners?

SunnySooner
11/11/2010, 07:11 PM
Well, I'm married to one I think is pretty awesome, and I'm blood-related to so many others, I could never choose just one. WW2, Korea, Vietnam,Bosnia, Gulf War 1 and 2...we got it covered, and I dearly love them all, so I'm too biased to choose.

I would like to add, though, that Oklahoma has a disproportionate number of folks with records of military service. Although we are WAY down the list of states in terms of total population, we are WAY up the list regarding percentage of folks who are either active duty or vets--close to 20 percent, IIRC. We argue about a lot of crap, but we love our country and we are among the first to step up to defend and protect her, and for that reason alone, I will be an 'Okie', with pride, 'til the day I die, no matter where I live. Hoo-rah.

SOONER44EVER
11/11/2010, 08:44 PM
My Dad..................greatest vet I know.

ouwasp
11/11/2010, 11:37 PM
I thanked a guy I teach across the hall from... Vietnam, he joined and lied on his physical on the eyesight part...

And a former student of mine that has served a couple tours in the Mideast, now is a Kansas Trooper...

And my Dad. :) He spoke at our local high school, got a standing O....

A Sooner in Texas
11/12/2010, 01:07 AM
My grandfather, who served in France in WWI and at Dutch Harbor in WWII; retired as an Army colonel.
My uncle, who fought in North Africa and Italy during WWII and came back to help found the music school at the University of Miami.
My brother-in-law's brother J.D., who was killed in Vietnam.
Dave Hughes, who was at Pearl Harbor and then on the USS Hornet during Doolittle's raid on Tokyo...and is one of the funniest, feistiest people I know and a dear friend.
Howard, and all you vets here at SoonerFans.
All veterans past, present and future - including the handsome young Marine I met tonight at a Veterans Day concert. He was in his dress blues, and when I told him how great he looked, he said, "So do you, Ma'am." Made my year.

Thank you all.

AlbqSooner
11/12/2010, 06:49 AM
I'm not thanking my ex, so I don't think you should have to either.

What? Ya think you and Brat have a corner on that market? I'm not thanking mine either. Oh wait. She was not a vet.:D

texaspokieokie
11/12/2010, 09:36 AM
my Dad who got in @ the end of WWI. saw no combat, however.

C&CDean
11/12/2010, 10:00 AM
My dad's dad. He was a sniper in WWI. My brother has his 03 Springfield that he brought back from "over there."

My dad. Three war vet. Joined the Army in 1945 and served in Japan. Was in the Army Air Corps when they became the USAF. Served in Vietnam in 1965, 66, and 67. Retired in 1968, passed away last New Year's Eve.

My son Luke. He completed Basic Training this past October, and is in AIT now at Ft. Leonard Wood. He's a different kid than the one who left here last August. In a good way.

King Crimson
11/12/2010, 10:19 AM
my late granddad. purple heart and air corps medal of honor. flew the Ploesti mission. born in Morrison, Oklahoma. made the landrun as as kid. lived his life in Perry. saw his two sons graduate from OU. one backup some guy named Jack Mildren.

spek to all the vets.

3rdgensooner
11/12/2010, 11:00 AM
Interesting site:

http://www.smithmag.net/sixwords_shared/img/logo-300.png (http://www.smithmag.net/iava)

GDC
11/12/2010, 12:05 PM
My grandpa, because he threw a grenade into a bathroom with a couple of Japs, and said they died with a bunch of pieces of toilet porcelain sticking out of them.

PVSoonerFan
11/12/2010, 12:47 PM
All of them!!! Without their duty and sacrifices we wouldn't be in the great land of the USA today!! Thank you all !!!

tommieharris91
11/12/2010, 01:14 PM
My great-uncles who died on the same navy vessel in WWII. My grandfather, who was lucky enough to never see combat during that same war. RIP, all of them.

Jammin'
11/12/2010, 01:55 PM
Grandpa W: who served in WWII on an aircraft carrier in the pacific for two years.
Grandpa B: who served in WWII in alaska for 3 years
Uncle Berre: who served almost two tours in nam before taking a grenade to the side that sent him home along with the rest of his buddies. He was the only one returning alive though.