PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning...Armistice Day

Okla-homey
11/11/2010, 07:13 AM
Nov. 11, 1918...WWI Cessation of Combat Operations

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/armistuntitled.jpg

At 11 o'clock in the morning of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, the First World War--known at the time as the Great War--comes to an end.

By the end of autumn 1918, the alliance of the Central Powers was unraveling in its war effort against the better supplied and coordinated Allied powers. Facing exhausted resources on the battlefield, turmoil on the home front and the surrender of its weaker allies, Austria-Hungary, Bulgaria and the Ottoman Empire, Germany was finally forced to seek an armistice with the Allies in the early days of November 1918.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/armistice-day-1918.jpg

On November 7, the German chancellor, Prince Max von Baden, sent delegates to Compiegne, France, to negotiate the agreement; it was signed at 5:10 a.m. on the morning of November 11.

Ferdinand Foch, commander in chief of all Allied forces on the Western Front, sent a message by telegraph to all his commanders: "Hostilities will cease on the entire front November 11 at 11 a.m. French time." The commanders ordered the fighting to continue throughout the morning of November 11, prompting later accusations that some men died needlessly in the last few hours of the war.

As the historian John Buchan has written of that memorable morning: "Officers had their watches in their hands, and the troops waited with the same grave composure with which they had fought." As watch hands reached 11, "there came a second of expectant silence, and then a curious rippling sound, which observers far behind the front likened to the noise of a light wind. It was the sound of men cheering from the Vosges [mountains] to the sea."

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/armistimage.jpg

The Great War took the life of some 9 million soldiers; 21 million more were wounded. Civilian casualties caused indirectly by the war numbered close to 10 million. The two nations most affected were Germany and France, each of which sent some 80 percent of their male populations between the ages of 15 and 49 into battle.

At the peace conference in Paris in 1919, Allied leaders would state their desire to build a post-war world that would safeguard itself against future conflicts of such devastating scale. The Versailles Treaty, signed on June 28, 1919, would not achieve this objective. Saddled with war guilt and heavy reparations and denied entrance into the League of Nations, Germany complained it had signed the armistice under false pretenses, having believed any peace would be a "peace without victory" as put forward by U.S.

President Woodrow Wilson in his famous Fourteen Points speech of January 1918. As the years passed, hatred of the treaty and its authors settled into a smoldering resentment in Germany that would, two decades later, be counted--to an arguable extent--among the causes of the Second World War.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/armsVeterans-Day-2010-500x636.jpg

texaspokieokie
11/11/2010, 09:32 AM
A coincidence, one of my wife's uncles will be buried on "Armistice Day".

quite fitting !!!

He was in europe during WWII & stayed in the Army for well over 20 years.

(Wife had 4 uncles [her Dad's brothers] in WWII, 2 @ "battle of bulge" &
all 4 made it home OK.)

Okla-homey
11/11/2010, 07:15 PM
And let's be clear about something.

War sux. It's a stinking, filfthy business and there's no glory in it. It's phenomenally wasteful of a nation's blood and treasure and there is no such thing as an uninjured combat vet.

That said, sometimes its necessary. But only after all other alternatives have been tried and failed.

jumperstop
11/11/2010, 08:09 PM
At the peace conference in Paris in 1919, Allied leaders would state their desire to build a post-war world that would safeguard itself against future conflicts of such devastating scale. The Versailles Treaty, signed on June 28, 1919, would not achieve this objective. Saddled with war guilt and heavy reparations and denied entrance into the League of Nations, Germany complained it had signed the armistice under false pretenses, having believed any peace would be a "peace without victory" as put forward by U.S.

President Woodrow Wilson in his famous Fourteen Points speech of January 1918. As the years passed, hatred of the treaty and its authors settled into a smoldering resentment in Germany that would, two decades later, be counted--to an arguable extent--among the causes of the Second World War.

The War Guilt Clause really pissed of the German people, giving them the idea of the "Stabbed in the Back" theory. The Treaty of Versaille really contributed to Hitler's rise to power in the 30's. So really we can kinda blame ourselves for all the extreme provisions we put in Treaty for the political climate leading up to WWII.
I really love your threads Okla-homey.

texaspokieokie
11/12/2010, 09:41 AM
A coincidence, one of my wife's uncles will be buried on "Armistice Day".

quite fitting !!!

He was in europe during WWII & stayed in the Army for well over 20 years.

(Wife had 4 uncles [her Dad's brothers] in WWII, 2 @ "battle of bulge" &
all 4 made it home OK.)

went to the funeral in Bryan County,OK.

old gentleman was 91. joind Army in 1940 & stayed in until 1967.

was in WWII & Korea.

2 of his brothers were @ funeral, both in europe in WWII & one of them
stayed in for 22 years. these guys are heroes.