PDA

View Full Version : Just watched Coach Stoops' Press Conference

Cinco Ranch Cougar
11/10/2010, 05:37 PM
I cuss Coach on the Saturday's when we lose, then I watch his press conference and I am right back in his corner.
No BS, just tells it like he sees it and when you hear his take on the game from his perspective I have to admit that 5 plays determined the outcome of that game and had we executed on those 5 plays we would be 8 and 1.
Again, we win out and play in the BCS.

pappy
11/10/2010, 05:43 PM
I didn't hear the presser but based on what you said on his perspective then I'm sure there was plenty of BS from BS.

Soonermagik
11/10/2010, 05:45 PM
Yep! The players didn't execute and we lost.

Scott D
11/10/2010, 05:47 PM
yep, lots of bs from BS :rolleyes:

“I’m not going to sit here express publicly what my frustration is or isn’t. In the end, we need to play better. Simple as that,” Stoops said Tuesday at a news conference.

“And you know what? We had a lot of opportunities the other day to make plays. We didn’t quite make them.”

About Home Success

“I can’t assume. I’ve got to play,” Stoops said. “To me, it’s methodically working to make sure that we are at our best when we go on the field.”

Comparing Home to Road

“I don’t know that either,” Stoops said. “You know what? It’s real simple. We play better, and on the road we need to play better. Now, a lot goes into that, but it isn’t like we’re sitting here naively just walking on the field. We have methods in how we prepare.”

On why he won't call out his team publicly about road play

“To me, I guess some of it is just overall as a team maturing to be able to handle it in a better way,” Stoops said. “Hopefully, we can.”

Widescreen
11/10/2010, 05:47 PM
My biggest complaint from the coaches was the nonsense at the end of the game where we kept running with no timeouts. Stupid.

I really think we lost on the fake field goal - we just didn't know we lost yet. We score there and I think we take over and win (it would've been our first lead of the game and we were rolling). Instead they go downfield and score. The wind left our sails at that point.

pappy
11/10/2010, 05:55 PM
I just want to hear stoops blame himself and the coaches for a change. its always throw the players under the bus language from him. I could agree that its the players fault if we didn't have player turnover. We do have player turnover though, but we don't have coaching turnover...same coaches every year. I know, I know we've added a couple but the major ones stay in the same spot not taking any blame, not holding each other accountable, just blame the players and their execution of the (not always the best game plan). The coaches never say "Well, they just had a better game plan then we did." or "We just got out couched today." They're too arrogant to admit that sometimes they screw up.

Again...same coaches failing with different players.

Scott D
11/10/2010, 05:56 PM
I think it's funny actually....people get mad if he doesn't blame the coaches, but then they get mad when he makes statements where it's clear he's blaming the coaches.

He's said on more than one occasion that they got outcoached in a loss.

pappy
11/10/2010, 05:56 PM
Oh and I was honestly really excited to see stoops call the fake fg and think that was a great call and that 1 play you can blame on the players...other than that I blame the coaches.

Breadburner
11/10/2010, 05:57 PM
I just want to hear stoops blame himself and the coaches for a change. its always throw the players under the bus language from him. I could agree that its the players fault if we didn't have player turnover. We do have player turnover though, but we don't have coaching turnover...same coaches every year. I know, I know we've added a couple but the major ones stay in the same spot not taking any blame, not holding each other accountable, just blame the players and their execution of the (not always the best game plan). The coaches never say "Well, they just had a better game plan then we did." or "We just got out couched today." They're too arrogant to admit that sometimes they screw up.

Well..How bout I call you a Dumb-****.....

AggieGirl2005
11/10/2010, 06:00 PM
from his perspective I have to admit that 5 plays determined the outcome of that game and had we executed on those 5 plays we would be 8 and 1.

In preparing my predictions for Baylor, I've watched the game twice since Saturday and I have to say this is so true. It was much closer than 33-19 tells. That kick return was a freak occurence that was nice, but not attributable to having a great offense. Sometimes those things happen.

oumartin
11/10/2010, 06:05 PM

This right here

Okie35
11/10/2010, 06:09 PM
I think it's funny actually....people get mad if he doesn't blame the coaches, but then they get mad when he makes statements where it's clear he's blaming the coaches.

He's said on more than one occasion that they got outcoached in a loss.

True.

pappy
11/10/2010, 06:18 PM
Well..How bout I call you a Dumb-****.....

well how about I consider you to be an uneducated person who isn't smart enough to carry on a conversation with adult.

pappy
11/10/2010, 06:20 PM
I cuss Coach on the Saturday's when we lose, then I watch his press conference and I am right back in his corner.
No BS, just tells it like he sees it and when you hear his take on the game from his perspective I have to admit that 5 plays determined the outcome of that game and had we executed on those 5 plays we would be 8 and 1.

and if a few more plays go texas a&m's way the score is worse. every play counts...not a good excuse.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/10/2010, 06:21 PM
well how about I consider you to be an uneducated person who isn't smart enough to carry on a conversation with adult.

there are adults on this message board?

pappy
11/10/2010, 06:21 PM

good point.

texaspokieokie
11/10/2010, 06:23 PM

thot all were banned.

MamaMia
11/10/2010, 06:27 PM
He said our offensive line has won us 7 games. I was amused.

snrsinica
11/10/2010, 06:31 PM
thot all were banned.

it baffles me that you know how to spell "thot" but not "baned"

olevetonahill
11/10/2010, 06:33 PM
it baffles me that you know how to spell "thot" but not "baned"

Yea the dude is a dumas
Its Bained ;)

MamaMia
11/10/2010, 06:35 PM
Yea the dude is a dumas
Its Bained ;)I resemble that remark. :P

85sooners
11/10/2010, 06:58 PM
:gary:

soonerinkaty
11/10/2010, 07:16 PM

Hey bro, 56-3 ;)

soonercastor
11/10/2010, 07:27 PM
well now we know he's not IN DA NILE, he got out and dried himself up. Good thing he didnt get eaten by crocs :D

tcrb
11/10/2010, 07:30 PM
Sometimes, after clicking on and reading a thread, I feel like I killed some perfectly good brain cells that it would have been more fun to kill with some OVJ.

cvsooner
11/10/2010, 07:41 PM
Stoops has said repeatedly over the years that he and his staff have been outcoached. He's also commented on how in hindsight they could've made a better call, or after the Mizzou game he acknowledged some plays they didn't call the right defense.

I think the 'problem,' if there is one, is threefold: one, Stoops doesn't answer to anyone except Castiglione and Boren, ultimately. He doesn't feel the need to bare his soul to the world. I'm sure the staff meetings amongst coaches probably get pretty hot...I can't imagine they don't. Then they work it out and present a unified front to the team and to the world. I don't have a problem with that. The last thing a head coach needs is to tell the players, "Look, Coach x is an idiot and I'm a bigger idiot because I hired them. Don't listen to him...and don't listen to me."

Two, he'd rather coach players and games and not have to do all this p.r. crap with the media and with the fans. I think he loves the fans and loves the support, but gets tired of it. He's not so bad early in the season, but it clearly gets to him later.

Three, he's been banging his head against this wall now for two years, really...when DO the PLAYERS get it? I'm sure the coaches are working with them every single day to make it better, and sometimes we see great results (the Sun Bowl, on the road; Texas this year, on the road) and sometimes we don't. Five or six plays against both Mizzou and aTm and work out differently and we're unbeaten. Bad outcomes could have also come against Cincy and Utah State and Air Force, for that matter.

The only serious criticisms I have of Stoops and company this season are the clock management at aTm and Mizzou and the onside kick at Mizzou.

I'm with JKM though: venables needs to be a linebacker coach, or a d-coordinator. He's having troubles doing both.

I will say Martinez seems to have done a very good job with the secondary. Miles ahead of what BJW was doing back there.

Well, with Hawkins gone, and the CU chancellor talking about getting someone with Pac 10-Big 12 experience, maybe Venables will finally get that head coaching job...if they don't hire Mangino, Leach, Kevin Sumlin, or the new OC at OSewe.

Leroy Lizard
11/10/2010, 07:43 PM
There is nothing Stoops can say that will please all of the people. So why even try? Just say whatever you want to say and get the Hell out of there.

If I was Coach Stoops, I would **** with the minds of the public on a daily basis? "Practice? Well, we probably won't practice until the day before the game. The last time we practiced more than two times a week some of the players complained. I don't want to **** off the players."

Yeah, the media and public would go into conniptions. But the players (who would know better) would be laughing their asses off.

cvsooner
11/10/2010, 07:51 PM
Just a quick Google search:

"We got outcoached."
Stoops following the Texas A&M game, Nov 9, 2002

"We got outcoached today. And outplayed."
Stoops following the Colorado game, Sept., 2007

“They outplayed us and outcoached us in most all areas..."
Stoops following the TCU game, Sept 2005

I could go on, but to say he NEVER takes any blame and puts it all on the players is simply inaccurate.

StoopTroup
11/10/2010, 07:57 PM
Who got fired?

cvsooner
11/10/2010, 08:06 PM
Dan Hawkins is gone at CU.

StoopTroup
11/10/2010, 08:08 PM
vMbQNu-d7QU

soonerinkaty
11/10/2010, 08:27 PM
Fire Wilson?

ashley
11/10/2010, 08:30 PM
I have a rope in my car, lets hang em all.

soonercastor
11/10/2010, 08:47 PM
There is nothing Stoops can say that will please all of the people. So why even try? Just say whatever you want to say and get the Hell out of there.

If I was Coach Stoops, I would **** with the minds of the public on a daily basis? "Practice? Well, we probably won't practice until the day before the game. The last time we practiced more than two times a week some of the players complained. I don't want to **** off the players."

Yeah, the media and public would go into conniptions. But the players (who would know better) would be laughing their asses off.

lol, why do you think they have press conferences?

ashley
11/10/2010, 09:25 PM
lol, why do you think they have press conferences?

Finally, someone with a clue..

ictsooner7
11/10/2010, 11:17 PM
yep, lots of bs from BS :rolleyes:

About Home Success

Comparing Home to Road

On why he won't call out his team publicly about road play

I am sick and tired of stoops not taking PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for his unwillingness to face reality and stop blaming the players for BOB STOOPS unwillingness and /or inability to see that we have a major problem with our defense. We have for years, ironically since the atm and osu games in 2002. How many kids have gone through the system since 2002? How many years do we have to listen to stoops talk about players have to make plays? His defense does not work anymore.

Leroy Lizard
11/10/2010, 11:57 PM
I am sick and tired of stoops not taking PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for his unwillingness to face reality and stop blaming the players for BOB STOOPS unwillingness and /or inability to see that we have a major problem with our defense.

Since Stoops isn't going anywhere and you're sick and tired of him, here ya' go:

http://texas.rivals.com/

You might try this team out:

http://www.orangepower.com/

But looking over your spoiled-child post, may I suggest the following:

http://www.wearesc.com

yukonmiller
11/11/2010, 12:35 AM
How many years do we have to listen to stoops talk about players have to make plays? His defense does not work anymore.

Seriously? How many other coaches have been in the hunt year in and year out the past ten years? It's a small list. Granted, they all haven't ended as we all hoped and I get as frustrated as others but I'll stick with what we have.

MamaMia
11/11/2010, 01:15 AM

He's said on more than one occasion that they got outcoached in a loss.No they don't. I have never once seen a post that anyone has said we didn't get out coached, on the oh so rare occasions, when Stoops has made that comment.

budbarrybob
11/11/2010, 01:35 AM
To the Coaching haters. PPFFFTTTT!! what da ya want ??? Turner Gill? Mack Brown??? sheeesh just STFU! and root for harder/better play....
:gary:

Leroy Lizard
11/11/2010, 01:43 AM
No they don't. I have never once seen a post that anyone has said we didn't get out coached, on the oh so rare occasions, when Stoops has made that comment.

:confused:

Lott's Bandana
11/11/2010, 09:16 AM
Growing up watching Fairbanks and Switzer creates a mentality that the Sooners should win each and every game they play. Hey, they did it!

It has been hard to accept losses, especially ones that could have just has easily been W's.

Big picture shows a 7-2 team with a victory over whorn and a possible shot at another BigXII Championship, playing with 412 Freshman and Sophomores and continuing an incredible home winning streak.

It is scary how good this core group of players are going to get.

That makes me happy...like all the buildup on a date where the end of the evening's activities are ALMOST a foregone conclusion.

Okie35
11/11/2010, 09:20 AM
No they don't. I have never once seen a post that anyone has said we didn't get out coached, on the oh so rare occasions, when Stoops has made that comment.

They do.

stoopified
11/11/2010, 11:19 AM
there are adults on this message board?That was a mistake, he meant to say carry on a conversation with a dolt.

Leroy Lizard
11/11/2010, 12:46 PM
Growing up watching Fairbanks and Switzer creates a mentality that the Sooners should win each and every game they play. Hey, they did it!

Lott's Bandana
11/11/2010, 10:24 PM

Hyperbole

Leroy Lizard
11/12/2010, 01:36 AM
Hyperbole

I'll say.

GDC
11/12/2010, 10:39 AM
I just wish Stoops wouldn't act like an *** when someone asks him a question.

StoopTroup
11/12/2010, 10:58 AM
I just wish Stoops wouldn't act like an *** when someone asks him a question.

He seems to be lightening up to me. I mean....all these guys come at him with all these questions that you know he's not gonna give you the answer too and he laughs in their face just like any of us would if we were posed the question. If you think that for one minute an editor from say the Austin Papers wouldn't ask him some if those questions and he should answer them then your just the most naive Sports Fan in all the entire Internet. We should maybe even get you a trophy for it. :D ;)

GDC
11/12/2010, 11:02 AM
The playback show was interesting this week, with Dean walking on eggshells and Stoops sounding like he would rather be anywhere else.

Bourbon St Sooner
11/12/2010, 11:28 AM
I'm not going to be happy until Bob Stoops calls out Scott D for wearing his hat the wrong way during road games. You got to keep it high and tight on the road and there's no room for this flippant attitude!

Scott D
11/12/2010, 11:30 AM
you mean backwards like I'm some pretentious frat boy isn't the right way? ;)

Bourbon St Sooner
11/12/2010, 11:39 AM
Not on the road! Tighten it up, man! If Mike were still here, he'd never put up with that shat!

Scott D
11/12/2010, 11:46 AM
if I tighten my hat up it will cut off circulation to my head.

SouthFortySooner
11/12/2010, 02:36 PM
I for once would like for the, "LISTEN TO ME ME ME" crowd to admit their ranting has absolutely no effect on the games.

I question if you sit during sitcoms such as, Friends, Earl, The Beverly Hillbillies and whine and moan about the directors and writers?

I can appreciate your being upset, hey I 'get upset' every time the opposing offense gains a yard, or our offense doesn't score EVERY PLAY! But, here is the real deal people, it is ENTERTAINMENT not YOUR life.

Get over yourselves. Carry on all you want about how bad things are or great things are. Its what makes the board great entertainment. Your insistence you know better or you know at all is pathetic.

goingoneight
11/12/2010, 09:05 PM
Honestly, even though it was a dumb call... FOUR TIMES IN A ROW... if the OL moved A&M off of the ball and we punched it in, we move on. The up-the-gut play is run all the time by teams, no matter how much time is on the clock. Part of that play is on KW, but the VAST MAJORITY of the blame is on the OL for not getting the push. Bottom line is that's where champions are born, whether you like the "Wrecking Crew" in the red zone. Again... They. are. not. good. Plain and simple. We should have been able to push them out of the way. We got beat by a subpar defense, and that's on the players way more than people want to believe. They played for 60 minutes, that spanned about four hours. They. got. whipped. where. it. mattered. most.

SoonerMarkVA
11/12/2010, 09:23 PM
My biggest complaint from the coaches was the nonsense at the end of the game where we kept running with no timeouts. Stupid.

I really think we lost on the fake field goal - we just didn't know we lost yet. We score there and I think we take over and win (it would've been our first lead of the game and we were rolling). Instead they go downfield and score. The wind left our sails at that point.

Yes. Some of us even knew it (or were awfully sure that was the case).

gaylordfan1
11/13/2010, 02:06 AM
The coaching staff must realize that we have to play with the talent that we have.... must call plays to the talent that we have. If we can't muscle the other team we must confuse them. Don't get me wrong, I think the coaching staff is trying to do this, but are failing. I do know we try to muscle the other team just because we are OKLAHOMA, even if we don't have muscle behind it. Thats why we are so good at home, because intimidation does wonders in our backyard.... But does nothing away. I don't want trickery with this offense.... just confusion and specific plays for specific playmakers. Now, doesn't that sound simple? :D

I will try to get ahold of David so he can relay that to Wilson.

slh1234
11/13/2010, 02:13 AM

I feel a lot dumber for having read that.