PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Changes

TopDawg
11/10/2010, 05:12 PM
Well, it's already that time again. We'll track them here.

Arkansas State
Old Coach - Steve Roberts (resigned after 9 seasons)
New Coach - Hugh Freeze (former Arkansas State offensive coordinator)

Ball State
Old Coach - Stan Parrish (fired after 2 seasons)
New Coach - Pete Lembo (former Elon head coach)

Colorado
Old Coach - Dan Hawkins (fired after 4.5 seasons)
New Coach - Jon Embree (former Washington Redskins tight ends coach)

Connecticut
Old Coach - Randy Edsall (new Maryland head coach)
Rumored Leading Candidates - Paul Pasqualoni (former Dallas Cowboys assistant coach)

Florida
Old Coach - Urban Meyer (retired? after 6 seasons)
New Coach - Will Muschamp (former Texas defensive coordinator)

Indiana
Old Coach - Bill Lynch (fired after 4 seasons)
New Coach - Kevin Wilson (former Oklahoma offensive coordinator)

Kent State
Old Coach - Doug Martin (resigned after 7 seasons)
New Coach - Darrell Hazell (former Ohio State wide receivers coach)

Maryland
Old Coach - Ralph Friedgen (fired after 10 seasons...and as reigning ACC Coach of the Year)
New Coach - Randy Edsall (former Connecticut head coach)

Miami
Old Coach - Randy Shannon (fired after 4 seasons)
New Coach - Al Golden (former Temple head coach)

Miami, OH
Old Coach - Mike Haywood (new Pittsburgh head coach)
New Coach - Don Treadwell (former Michigan State offensive coordinator)

Michigan
Old Coach - Rich Rodriguez (fired after 3 seasons)
Rumored Leading Candidates - Brady Hoke (former San Diego State head coach)

Minnesota
Old Coach - Tim Brewster (fired after 4.5 seasons)
New Coach - Jerry Kill (former Northern Illinois head coach)

North Texas
Old Coach - Todd Dodge (fired after 4.5 seasons)
New Coach - Dan McCarney (former Florida defensive line coach)

Northern Illinois
Old Coach - Jerry Kill (new Minnesota head coach)
New Coach - Dave Doeren (former Wisconsin defensive coordinator)

Pittsburgh
Old Coach - Dave Wannstedt (resigned after 6 seasons)
First New Coach - Mike Haywood (former Miami, OH head coach who has fired after arrested for suspicion of domestic violence)
Current New Coach - Todd Graham (former Tulsa head coach)

San Diego State
Old Coach - Brady Hoke (new Michigan head coach)
New Coach - Rocky Long (promoted from defensive coordinator position)

Stanford
Old Coach - Jim Harbaugh (new San Francisco 49ers head coach)
Rumored Leading Candidates - David Shaw (promoted from offensive coordinator position)

Temple
Old Coach - Al Golden (new Miami head coach)
New Coach - Steve Addazio (Florida offensive coordinator)

Tulsa
Old Coach - Todd Graham (new Pittsburgh head coach)
New Coach - Bill Blankenship (promoted from running backs coach/special teams coordinator)

UL_Lafayette
Old Coach - Rickey Bustle (fired after 9 seasons)
New Coach - Mark Hudspeth (former Mississippi State wide receivers coach)

Vanderbilt
Old Coach - Robbie Caldwell (resigned after 1 season)
New Coach - James Franklin (former Maryland offensive coordinator)

Scott D
11/10/2010, 05:19 PM
there collier you feel better now?

soonerboy_odanorth
11/10/2010, 06:15 PM

Colorado
Rumored Leading Candidates - Bill McCartney (former Colorado head coach), Kevin Sumlin (Houston head coach), Brian Cabral (Colorado interim head coach)

Minnesota
Rumored Leading Candidates - Brady Hoke (San Diego State head coach), Jeff Horton (Minnesota interim head coach)

TD.. if I may... Horton I don't believe is any more than a courtesy consideration. Maturi (UM AD) has publicly stated he wants to "win the press conference" when they announce the name. So they are going for a big splash.

Rumor has it influential alumni are clamoring for Troy Calhoun at AFA, or even moreso Marc Trestman, a TC native with extensive NFL QB Coach and O Coordinator experience who is currently the HC of CFL's Montreal Allouettes.

The common rabble are clamoring for Al Golden at Temple. Big 10 guy and relatively-speaking incredibly successful, but who may be looking to take over for Jo Pa.

FWIW

EPIC meltdown in the Twin Cities over the hiring of Jerry Kill. People want Maturi's head on a platter. He may be a decent coach. He has won everywhere he has been, but usually at about a 7-5 clip. Maturi promised to "win the press conference", and the U gets Jerry Kill? Maturi backpeddled today and more or less said, "Well, I guess I shouldn't have said that." So not only did you not win the press conference, now you are acknowleging that your hire isn't a win the press conference guy, undermining him from the get go??? Stumbling...bumbling... MORAN. So sayeth CFB fans in the TC.

cleller
11/10/2010, 06:19 PM
Here's a story from the Dallas Morning News that says McCartney is up for it:
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/11/carlton-bill-mccartney-receiving-most-at.html

Interestingly, it throws in Dana Holgorsen's name. He should go, he'd like Boulder.

Hope Sumlin stays put till he can establish something at Houston. Then maybe he could head to a school that is really interested in their football team.

chad
11/10/2010, 09:44 PM
My sources say Hawkins termination papers have been signed and postdated for the last day of the season. The new *cough*returning*cough* coach refused to step in mid-season. Let's just say they're attempting to go back to their glory days if you catch my drift.

This was from KU comeback thread on Saturday.

Now that McCartney's name is officially out of the bag, I'll confirm he's already agreed to join the team. I learned Hawkins was dead man coaching before the OU v CU game, but the boosters/president, at that time, weren't going to push him out mid-season. Apparently KU changed their mind.

Scott D
11/10/2010, 10:03 PM
blowing a 28 pt lead in 11 minutes can do that.

Breadburner
11/10/2010, 10:20 PM
Holgerson will be gone from OSU sooner than they think.....

TUSooner
11/10/2010, 10:26 PM
I love this thread. Seriously. It saves a lot of wasted time on ESPN. :)

fadada1
11/10/2010, 10:29 PM
it's too cold in minnesota, and i've never owned a pair of birkenstocks.

i don't think i'll send my resume into either.

TopDawg
11/11/2010, 10:18 AM
TD.. if I may... Horton I don't believe is any more than a courtesy consideration. Maturi (UM AD) has publicly stated he wants to "win the press conference" when they announce the name. So they are going for a big splash.

Rumor has it influential alumni are clamoring for Troy Calhoun at AFA, or even moreso Marc Trestman, a TC native with extensive NFL QB Coach and O Coordinator experience who is currently the HC of CFL's Montreal Allouettes.

The common rabble are clamoring for Al Golden at Temple. Big 10 guy and relatively-speaking incredibly successful, but who may be looking to take over for Jo Pa.

FWIW

Yeah, it was just a courtesy inclusion. Of course he has a chance to put together a pretty good resume, but it looks like they'll go elsewhere. Hoke has stated he's not interested in leaving SDSU...but that's what they all say until they accept another position.

AFA has stated that they expect to get a lot of interest in Calhoun this off-season. Since you seem to be in the know and have linked him with this opening, I'll add him to the Golden Gopher's entry along with Trestman. Thanks!

dwarthog
11/11/2010, 10:33 AM
Were I in such a position as to be considered for a College Football HC job, I wouldn't touch the University of Minnesota job with a 10 foot pole.

stoopified
11/11/2010, 11:11 AM
Were I in such a position as to be considered for a College Football HC job, I wouldn't touch the University of Minnesota job with a 100 foot pole. That's better.

sooner518
11/11/2010, 11:20 AM
nothing says "win the press conference" more than hiring a coach from the Canadian Football League.............

TopDawg
11/12/2010, 10:26 AM
nothing says "win the press conference" more than hiring a coach from the Canadian Football League.............

He's going to hold the presser in Canada...so...ya know.......

Added Koetter and Bellotti's names to the Colorado list.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/12/2010, 10:28 AM
koetter is not jacksonville's head coach TD

OUthunder
11/12/2010, 10:33 AM

Colorado
Rumored Leading Candidates - Bill McCartney (former Colorado head coach), Kevin Sumlin (Houston head coach), Dirk Koetter (Jacksonville Jaguars head coach), Mike Bellotti (former Oregon head coach), Brian Cabral (Colorado interim head coach)

Minnesota
Rumored Leading Candidates - Brady Hoke (San Diego State head coach), Troy Calhoun (Air Force head coach), Marc Trestman (Montreal Allouettes head coach), Jeff Horton (Minnesota interim head coach)

I think that Mangino would be a good fit (not clothes wise) at Minnesota. There is a wealth of talent in the Twin Cities, and if he can win and recruit at KU, he could surely do the same or better at Minnesota. Plus, the new facilities are kick *** and the alumni are ready to finally shell out some cash now that they have some decent facilities and are no longer playing in the crappy Metrodome anymore.

There is absolutely NO reason that the U of M shouldn't be one on the top four or five football schools in the Big Whatever They Call It Now Conference.

TopDawg
11/12/2010, 10:53 AM
koetter is not jacksonville's head coach TD

oops...sorry...oc

thanks for catching that

Frozen Sooner
11/12/2010, 11:07 AM
Why would Bellotti be interested? Isn't he the AD at Oregon and stepped down as head coach to BE the AD? Like he wanted to be the AD more than he wanted to be the coach?

Or am I thinking of someone else?

Frozen Sooner
11/12/2010, 11:08 AM
Ah, never mind, he quit the Oregon AD job and works at ESPN now. Whoops.

TopDawg
11/12/2010, 11:09 AM
Yeah, he's on that trainwreck of a show "The Experts."

badger
11/12/2010, 11:11 AM
Why would Bellotti be interested? Isn't he the AD at Oregon and stepped down as head coach to BE the AD? Like he wanted to be the AD more than he wanted to be the coach?

Or am I thinking of someone else?

He was the AD at Oregon. Stepped down after a single year. No idea if Mr. Nike had anything to do with that or not, but long post short, he's with ESPN now.

badger
11/12/2010, 11:14 AM
haha, just saw frozo's response :D

McCartney had a very difficult situation when he was last wining at Colorado. In a nutshell, he was a Promise Keepers leader, but his players kept getting his daughter pregnant. Sounds bad, but is the truth. He quit for family reasons, which wouldn't exist anymore because his grandkids are old enough to be in college now... like the ghost of Sal Aunese:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BjDMl55yJrk/RrVY9YP6C-I/AAAAAAAAAVY/cARdSThqbkc/s320/TC+McCartney.JPG

Scott D
11/12/2010, 11:39 AM

who has NFL experience with the San Francisco 49ers under the Walsh family tree along with the Oakland Raiders.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/12/2010, 12:01 PM
haha, just saw frozo's response :D

McCartney had a very difficult situation when he was last winning at Colorado. In a nutshell, he was a Promise Keepers leader, but his players kept getting his daughter pregnant. Sounds bad, but is the truth. He quit for family reasons, which wouldn't exist anymore because his grandkids are old enough to be in college now... like the ghost of Sal Aunese:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BjDMl55yJrk/RrVY9YP6C-I/AAAAAAAAAVY/cARdSThqbkc/s320/TC+McCartney.JPG

badj,

You've got it a little backwards. McCartney founded Promise Keepers following the death of Sal Aunese and the birth of Sal's (who was the only player to impregnate his daughter) and daughter Kristy McCartney's son, TC. He didn't retire from football "due to family reasons", which was following his 1994 11-1 season, but to follow his higher calling first with Promise Keepers, then another organization he founded, Road to Jerusalem.

Here's what Jim Murray of the LA Times wrote lo those many moons ago about the whole affair:

A Tougher Test Came off the Field
Jim Murray, August 12, 1990
Los Angeles Times

Football coaches are often very big on prayer in the locker room before a big game. An Orange Bowl is worth praying for. So is a national championship. But cynics say you don't always find them on their knees the day after the game. They put God on hold until they need him again.

Which makes the experiences of Bill McCartney, coach of Colorado's highly ranked 1989 team, all the more remarkable--so much so that my friend, David Diles, has written a remarkable book on the stunning events that dogged the coach off the field as a kind of antiphonal counterpoint to the successes on it.

"From Ashes to Glory" is more than a football book, it's a journal of faith. Job's was never more severely tested than Coach McCartney's.

It all began with the devastating news that his 19-year-old daughter was pregnant. Out of wedlock. The father was the team's star quarterback, Sal Aunese, a gifted athlete whom McCartney had personally recruited out of Oceanside.

"You're not going to be happy with me," Kristy McCartney told Aunese when she broke the news to him. She was right. Aunese was so unthrilled, he refused to have anything to do with her. His friends closed around, recommending Kristy have an abortion and not tell her parents. Kristy, heartbroken, told her parents.

Kristy's mother, Lyndi, sat down and penned this letter to Aunese:

"Hi Sal,

"I wanted to talk to you in person so I could give you a big hug. . . . I know you're hurting, too, and I know it's very scary and difficult to face. I want you to have confidence that the decisions you'll be making . . . will be totally acceptable no matter what they are--with two exceptions. No quitting school and no quitting the team. These are vital to your future and personal well-being.

"Kristy is so deeply concerned for your future and doesn't want to hamper your success in any way. We feel the same and I hope this letter will convey warm feelings and no judgments.

"Coach Mac and I think you are a terrific person, and it is not our desire to pressure you or punish you in any way. What you and Kristy are experiencing is life. Perhaps it's not what either of you planned, but a moment of passion has created a miracle within Kristy, and I know that within Kristy's heart that moment was filled with love. . . .

"I really need to express my feelings as Kristy's mom. She is my treasure, my beautiful little girl, her Dad and I love her with every fiber of our being. We have prayed for a loving Christian mate for our children.

"It's important that the mate she chooses has a lifelong, loving commitment, that she is his treasure and he is hers, that they live a life that gives love and warmth and joy, that they be connected in soul, heart and purpose. . . .

"I don't see two people getting married if the love isn't there, just because they created a baby.

"If you and Kristy don't love each other, don't get married. We don't need an unhappy life for either of you. . . . If you or Kristy want our help, we'll be there for you both. . . .

"Sal, if there's anything I'd ask of you, as Kristy's mom, it would be just to be her friend. You don't have to marry her. You don't have to love her. You don't have to date her. You don't have to be responsible for her or the baby. You and your friends are her closest friends, share this precious secret. Kristy needs you, just to be kind, caring friends. Remember you are loved."

In a P.S., she added: "I have to say I'm deeply disappointed that you and (your friends) have advised Kristy to kill a defenseless baby. Thank God your parents did not do that to you for the world would be a sadder place without the four of you in it."

St. Paul probably couldn't have said it any better.

The McCartneys held strong moral positions. Anti-abortion was one of them. They rejected out of hand that option.

Coach McCartney's turn to show his beliefs came when he called his star quarterback into his office. "I want you to know that you don't need to accept any responsibility for Kristy and the baby if you don't want to. . . . There is no animosity, only forgiveness in our hearts. . . . If you're not in love with Kristy, you shouldn't marry her."

Wrote the coach: "I waited for a response. There was none. I went on. 'Kristy has told me that she loves you--but that isn't any reason to marry her. Not unless you love her. But I want you to know your position on this football team is not threatened.' "

The story then took a macabre turn: the following spring, Aunese's illness was diagnosed as terminal cancer. His position on the football team was threatened by a higher coach. He would barely last the summer.

The McCartneys' Gethsemane was hardly ending. Sports Illustrated came out with a stern story documenting the scrapes with the law the championship football players were having. And barely was that off the newsstands when a Rocky Mountain tabloid came out with a lurid, leering story, "That Sinning Season. CU Coach Bill McCartney Keeps the Faith--and Gets a Grandson Fathered by His Star Quarterback." It added: "CU Football Players Score! But Coach McCartney Is the Loser!"

It went on, in the best tradition of gutter gossip journalism to paint the story in scarlet letters. "The cruelest blow imaginable," wrote Bill McCartney. "(The writer) heaped scorn and condemnation on our precious daughter, plainly suggesting she was a whore, a tramp, a slut. She was easy, he wrote, available for the pleasures of football players. This malevolence made trash of what two young people thought was love."

It's a truly extraordinary story, not the type of football story Hollywood would make a Toby Wing-Richard Arlen musical out of. It is the story of the unshakable faith of one Christian family which had taken a stand on their principles at a time when there were strong reasons to abandon those principles in favor of expediency. To play for a tie, as it were.

McCartney's Colorado team meets Tennessee in the inaugural Disneyland Pigskin game at Anaheim Stadium on Aug. 26. It's billed as a possible prelude to a national championship.

I would agree with David Diles: Coach McCartney has already won a national championship. He faced down a foe a lot tougher than Notre Dame--hypocrisy, vengefulness and three or four other deadly sins. He's the No. 1 coach some place. His game plan was made in heaven.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/12/2010, 12:07 PM
Side note: Les Miles, along with McCartney, basically was the one who recruited Sal to Colorado. He held a scholarship for TC at LSU, though I don't think TC was regarded as an SEC caliber QB/athlete. So yes, Les does have a heart. ;)

badger
11/12/2010, 12:08 PM
badj,

You've got it a little backwards. McCartney founded Promise Keepers following the death of Sal Aunese and the birth of Sal's (who was the only player to impregnate his daughter) and daughter Kristy McCartney's son. He didn't retire from football "due to family reasons", which was following his 1994 11-1 season, but to follow his higher calling first with Promise Keepers, then another organization he founded, Road to Jerusalem.

Here's what Jim Murray of the LA Times wrote lo those many moons ago about the whole affair:

From what I've read, it wasn't just Sal, but other football players that got with his daughter to the point that it got to be too much. Sal was just the first. Thus, there seemed to be family reasons as well as "higher calling" reasons that he quit. I just mentioned Sal's son specifically because it was the most notable one.

EDIT: another sidenote - TC McCartney was a walk-on, not an LSU scholarship athlete, so Les doesn't have a heart after all (just kidding)

soonerboomer93
11/12/2010, 12:10 PM
He was the AD at Oregon. Stepped down after a single year. No idea if Mr. Nike had anything to do with that or not, but long post short, he's with ESPN now.

yeah, he's been in the booth for a couple of our games too, he succs

sooner518
11/12/2010, 12:17 PM
who has NFL experience with the San Francisco 49ers under the Walsh family tree along with the Oakland Raiders.

that was more of a joke making fun of Canada than it was serious analysis

soonerboy_odanorth
11/12/2010, 12:17 PM

What Scott D said... and you have to understand how provincial Minnesotans are. They are perhaps the worst. Yes, even worse than Texans. If someone farts in Timbuktu, Minnesota press will try to find "the Minnesota connection" because that's what sells.

So with Trestman being a TC native, and given his pretty successful career, it would be one of those "one of ours coming home" stories that would indeed make a big splash here.

Also, about Minnesota not being a job to touch with a ten foot pole, OUthunder nailed it. I was going to post something similar yesterday. The right guy could be VERY successful here. Simply put, since Jim Wacker the local talent pipeline has been neglected. The right guy will keep players like Larry Fitzgerald, James Laurinitis, and Seantrel Henderson here.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/12/2010, 12:33 PM
From what I've read, it wasn't just Sal, but other football players that got with his daughter to the point that it got to be too much. Sal was just the first. Thus, there seemed to be family reasons as well as "higher calling" reasons that he quit. I just mentioned Sal's son specifically because it was the most notable one.

EDIT: another sidenote - TC McCartney was a walk-on, not an LSU scholarship athlete, so Les doesn't have a heart after all (just kidding)

You are so right... my old man memory is shorting out these days. I'd forgotton about Kristy's other daliance. (Or maybe at that time in my life with OU football SUCKING A** I just didn't care what was going on elsewhere.)

From an old SI article about McCartney's retirement:

"There were rumors, of course: A native of Riverview, Mich., and a former Michigan assistant, he is angling for the Wolverine job; he's embarrassed that his unmarried daughter, Kristy, having already given birth to a son fathered by former Colorado star Sal Aunese, has borne another child out of wedlock, by a current Buffalo player; he's burned out; he's at odds with the higher-ups at Colorado; his marriage is in bad shape; he's on a weird religious mission. The stories are all out there, and at least one of them is apparently true—in November 1993, Kristy gave birth to a son, Derek, whose father, she says, is Shannon Clavelle, a junior defensive tackle from New Orleans."

From an old SI article about TC ending up at LSU:

"Except, a year later, here was Miles on the phone, bringing the story full circle, asking T.C. whether he would consider coming to play for him. Miles told him he couldn't promise a scholarship, but he'd be willing to make T.C. a preferred walk-on, meaning he would be guaranteed to be one of the 105 players at preseason camp. It was a generous offer, and, although T.C. hated to leave Kristy -- whom he called his "hero" -- the entire family agreed he should accept.

"I thought it was a really cool move by Les to do that," Barnett says. "Just the fact that there's a million guys in the South that he could put on his team and take as a preferred walk-on. Those are tough spots, a lot of competition for those 20 spots that go into camp." "

I have to say it's all a pretty incredible journey by all involved.

Though, I really think CU is making a bad move if they do bring McCartney back. So much has changed. Can he recruit?

badger
11/12/2010, 12:43 PM
Though, I really think CU is making a bad move if they do bring McCartney back. So much has changed. Can he recruit?

Agree - but KSU bringing their old fart outta retirement isn't the end of the world for them, so perhaps CU can find some way to win with their former coach too?

Frozen Sooner
11/12/2010, 01:10 PM
You are so right... my old man memory is shorting out these days. I'd forgotton about Kristy's other daliance. (Or maybe at that time in my life with OU football SUCKING A** I just didn't care what was going on elsewhere.)

I have to say it's all a pretty incredible journey by all involved.

Does he have an 18-year-old daughter? If so, then probably.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/12/2010, 01:15 PM
Nobody, and I repeat, NOBODY from Minnesota knows anything about football....Nobody

Collier11
11/12/2010, 01:23 PM
He's going to hold the presser in Canada...so...ya know.......

Added Koetter and Bellotti's names to the Colorado list.

Hooray for this thread!

Hey TD, I have seen two diff links that list BV as a front runner for Colorado as well

Collier11
11/12/2010, 01:24 PM
That Colorado team that won it all may have been the most undeserving Natl champion ever

oudavid1
11/12/2010, 01:32 PM
i think Iowa State can beat them now. JK, they were gonna win anyway.

badger
11/12/2010, 01:46 PM
That Colorado team that won it all may have been the most undeserving Natl champion ever

I vote 1984 BYU and 2007 LSU ahead of them :mad:

soonerboy_odanorth
11/12/2010, 01:57 PM

Agreed.

Frozen Sooner
11/12/2010, 02:15 PM
Nobody, and I repeat, NOBODY from Minnesota knows anything about football....Nobody

http://bp2.blogger.com/_gqyHyqbR0yU/SFXZobLa_PI/AAAAAAAAAGc/7qNcFweB0VE/s320/bud+wilkinson.jpg

Collier11
11/12/2010, 02:17 PM

They were both average but that Colorado team had the 5th down game against mizzou that they shoulda lost and a phantom clipping call against ND in the Championship on a PR for a TD or ND wins

stoops the eternal pimp
11/12/2010, 02:35 PM
http://bp2.blogger.com/_gqyHyqbR0yU/SFXZobLa_PI/AAAAAAAAAGc/7qNcFweB0VE/s320/bud+wilkinson.jpg

I was trying to get a rise out of Soonerboy Odanorth..

Thanks for messing that up, ****er

Frozen Sooner
11/12/2010, 02:48 PM
Don't involve me in your weird sex games.

badger
11/12/2010, 02:51 PM
http://www.baka-raptor.com/porn/thats_the_joke.jpg

AlbqSooner
11/12/2010, 02:53 PM
Were I in such a position as to be considered for a College Football HC job, I wouldn't touch the University of Minnesota job with a 10 foot pole.

How about with a 5'4" Serb?

AlbqSooner
11/12/2010, 02:54 PM
I think that Mangino would be a good fit (not clothes wise) at Minnesota. There is a wealth of talent in the Twin Cities, and if he can win and recruit at KU, he could surely do the same or better at Minnesota. Plus, the new facilities are kick *** and the alumni are ready to finally shell out some cash now that they have some decent facilities and are no longer playing in the crappy Metrodome anymore.

He is also well insulated for the Minnesota winters.

dwarthog
11/12/2010, 03:38 PM
How about with a 5'4" Serb?

Not even with two of em'.....

soonerboy_odanorth
11/12/2010, 11:12 PM
I was trying to get a rise out of Soonerboy Odanorth..

Thanks for messing that up, ****er

No, no... you are 100% right. It's just that there is what's known as "the Bud exception" clause...

http://store.profootballhof.com/assets/item/large/01160_3827.jpg

TopDawg
11/15/2010, 11:32 AM
Updated.

Added North Texas. Apparently Canales really wants the job and has quite a bit of support on campus.

Also:

Denver Post reports that Colorado officials are interested in Georgia head coach Mark Richt. Other reports indicate that Richt isn't interested.

Sources report that Mike Bellotti has indeed talked with Colorado officials.

Louisiana-Lafayette is expected to make a coaching change at the end of the season. They want Ed Orgeron (who is back to being an assistant at USC), but sources say Orgeron isn't interested.

badger
11/15/2010, 11:40 AM
I'd like to see one of the fired big meanies in at Colorado or Minnesota. Referring to Jim Leavitt, Mark Mangino and Mike Leach. All of those guys got raw deals at their previous schools and would probably love a chance to prove everyone wrong.

TUSooner
11/15/2010, 03:09 PM
bump
for no apparent reason

soonerboy_odanorth
11/15/2010, 03:19 PM
I'd like to see one of the fired big meanies in at Colorado or Minnesota. Referring to Jim Leavitt, Mark Mangino and Mike Leach. All of those guys got raw deals at their previous schools and would probably love a chance to prove everyone wrong.

I'm not as hot on Mangino or Leach, but I would kill to have Leavitt at Minnesota. The job he did taking USF from zero to sixty in about 2.3 secs was pretty amazing. I think you'd have some danged good college football to watch in the TC if he were in charge. (Yes this is for selfish reasons... I can't very well make it to EVERY OU game. ;) )

badger
11/15/2010, 03:42 PM
I know on paper Minny-haha sounds bad - infertile recruiting ground, competitive Big Ten foes, absent of any solid tradition of winning... but they have something that a lot of programs haven't had lately and many never have ever again:

A new football stadium.

Some places (most places) just add onto existing stadiums. Minnesota actually built a brand new stadium on campus.

You want a place to build a program from the ground up, what better way than to go to a place that just got a new stadium?

tanjou
11/15/2010, 04:27 PM
There's no reason Minnesota can't be as competitive as Wisconsin or Iowa in the Big Ten:

Huge new on campus facilities, not just stadium. Weight room, meeting rooms, you name it. The administration is clearly committed.

Huge, huge alumni base from a school with strong academics. Means lots of money.

A large and iconic city that is an easy sell to recruits (Much more so than Madison, Iowa City, or even hell Norman or Tuscaloosa). Some retarded Gophers fans believe the Vikings are what keep Minnesota from being successful, they are stupid.

Big Ten network ensures lots of TV coverage.

They do have a winning tradition, but it's from you know... 50 years ago. But the right coach can play on that in the right circumstances.

Maturi (the Minnesota AD) has one more year and is likely done after that, which is going to make the hiring of a new coach this year a bit difficult. That's the largest stumbling block. The president of the university has stated clearly for a few years how badly he wants a strong football program.

TopDawg
11/15/2010, 05:07 PM
I like Minnesota. Visited there when I was a child and loved that their mascot was the Golden Gophers (might even still have the GG shirt I got on that trip). So they've always been one of those teams I like to see win. I love that about half of their games involve a traveling trophy. A few years ago, I "adopted" them as one of my teams on EA Sports NCAA football. They had a couple of decent running backs...Laurence Maroney and Marion Barber were their names, I think. I dominated. They also had a really good tight end back then...forget his name.

Anyway, all of that to say that I hope for the best for Minnesota. Well, the second best. I want to save the best for OU.

badger
11/15/2010, 05:25 PM
The first D-1 college football game I attended was the Battle for Paul Bunyan's Axe. You know how OU or Texas are presented the big golden hat after the game? In the Wisconsin-Minnesota game, the winning team runs over to the opposing bench to steal the axe if they didn't win it the year before. No official ceremony, just take it after the final tick and start dancing around the field with it held high. It's a big rivalry game up there, so can't say I love Minnesota, but they've been suffering a lot lately and a big hire would be good for them.

MamaMia
11/16/2010, 06:17 AM
I long for the day.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2010, 02:34 PM
possible sticky?

Collier11
11/22/2010, 12:02 PM
There are some rumors floating around that due to Mack Browns great friendship and respect for Greg Davis he might simply promote him to Assistant Head coach and hire a new Off Coord so he doesnt have to fire hi

OUmillenium
11/22/2010, 01:30 PM
Does he have an 18-year-old daughter? If so, then probably.

Legen...dary

OUmillenium
11/22/2010, 01:31 PM

or all on staff at OU...

just sayin

TopDawg
11/22/2010, 04:07 PM
Updated. Added Kent State. Belotti took his name out of mix at Colorado. Added Bienemy to the mix at CU. Matthews new name being mentioned at UNT.

TopDawg
11/23/2010, 10:59 AM
Updated.

Martin and McCarney new candidates at Kent State and North Texas, respectively.

JudInKC
11/23/2010, 12:11 PM

FWIW

I heard Beano Cook on ESPN a few weeks back and he says Golden will not be a candidate at Penn State as long as Joe Pa is alive. I gather Joe Pa is very upset at Golden for something but can't remember what he said it was.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/23/2010, 12:44 PM
I heard Beano Cook on ESPN a few weeks back and he says Golden will not be a candidate at Penn State as long as Joe Pa is alive.

So Golden is a Day to Day candidate

TopDawg
11/23/2010, 03:49 PM
Is anybody a candidate as long as JoePa is alive? He's gonna stay the head coach until he dies, right?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/23/2010, 04:04 PM
seriously...at this point, that is a day to day...minute to minute status

TopDawg
11/23/2010, 04:05 PM
Same with Pelini. One more "bad call" and his head might explode.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/23/2010, 04:08 PM
You know it is kind of funny that a husker fan would wonder why their team has so many personal fouls and other penalties called on em..they are just a reflection of what he brings to the table....he has clearly taken the title of chief maniac from mike stoops

Breadburner
11/26/2010, 12:27 AM
Holgerson new OC at Texas.....????

TopDawg
11/28/2010, 05:31 PM
Lots of updates, including our first hire and Venables' name mentioned down in Miami...where a former KSU teammate of Venables is AD. (Kirby Hocutt...also a former OU athletic dept. employee.)

TopDawg
11/29/2010, 10:44 AM
Updated.

Minnesota: Removed Brady Hoke, Troy Calhoun; added Al Golden
Vanderbilt: Added Bud Foster, Al Golden
Miami: Removed Jon Gruden, Mark Richt
UL-Lafayette: Added Mark Hudspeth

oumartin
11/29/2010, 11:15 AM
Dan McCarney will be the new UNT coach.

TopDawg
11/29/2010, 11:25 AM
Yep...I updated that yesterday. :D

Jacie
11/30/2010, 07:39 AM
Where will Todd Dodge land?

Can he go back to highschool and if so, can he win in a district that does not have an insane amount of money to spend on facilities and an expanding student population?

Would sa*et take a chance and hire him as a position coach?

TopDawg
11/30/2010, 09:43 AM
Added Ark. State

Vandy: Added Greg Roman, Removed Ivan Jasper
ULL: Added Mike Sewak, Gunter Brewer

TopDawg
12/1/2010, 12:28 PM
Updated.

Added McElwain to CU, Graham and Vanderlinden to Indiana. There are reports that Gruden to Miami is a done deal. I'm gonna wait to update it, though.

Venables: "I'm not interested in any job. I don't want any job. I've got a great job here."

Also, a single donor has pledged $5 million to help retain Brady Hoke at SDSU.

badger
12/1/2010, 03:38 PM
Donald Trump endorses Leach to Miami.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5870539)

TopDawg
12/2/2010, 10:51 AM
Updated. Not a lot of new info, but it appears that the CU job is down to 3 candidates (Bienemy, McElwain and Embree) and Gruden's not interested in Miami right now.

yankee
12/2/2010, 10:59 AM
Where will Todd Dodge land?

Can he go back to highschool and if so, can he win in a district that does not have an insane amount of money to spend on facilities and an expanding student population?

Would sa*et take a chance and hire him as a position coach?

He's stated that he would like to be a QB coach in college or go back to being HS football head coach in TX. He won't have a problem finding a HC job for HS football, but I would think he'd like to remain at the college level, if possible.

TopDawg
12/2/2010, 12:49 PM
Arkansas State has hired Freeze.

bluedogok
12/5/2010, 08:06 PM
Looks like Minnesota is hiring Jerry Kill of Northern Illinois.

ESPN - Source: Minnesota hires Jerry Kill (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5888840)

Also Colorado has hired Embree

ESPN - Colorado hires Jon Embree as coach (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5888899)

Denver Post - Jon Embree's contract at Colorado to be a five-year deal, agent says (http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_16784106)

TopDawg
12/6/2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks bluedog. I'll go update.

TopDawg
12/6/2010, 10:23 AM
Updated those two and added a couple of other rumored candidates to the lists.

Also worth noting: it looks like OSU's Joe DeForest has interviewed for the ULL job.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/7/2010, 02:30 AM
Meltdown at Minnesota. The rabble are up in arms. I feel bad for Kill, but this is a TERRIBLE hire for what the U of M needs. [EDIT: Or I should say, what the Gophers fans and alums think they need, which is national cred.] Radio callers sound like they intend bodily harm to Maturi...

TopDawg
12/7/2010, 11:15 AM
Wow. Really?

soonerboy_odanorth
12/7/2010, 12:22 PM
Wow. Really?

It's bad, people are suggesting, and I think they are serious, tarring and feathering Maturi. He's the one that set himself up for it promising he was going to win the press conference with a knock your socks off hire.

Now, the reporters are all saying that coaches around the country vouch for Kill, that he knows what he is doing and will win. And the bits of his press conference I heard he sounds like he's got some good stuff. He went a little Bud Wilkinson on the bit saying it wasn't good enough to just lock down recruiting in the TC (which was a little shot at Brewster), but to draw a 500 mile radius around the TC and exhaustively recruit the region. And he made it known that he is defensive minded.. that he likes to put lots of pressure on people, so far that even late in games he's not much of one for "prevent" defenses and would rather continue to get after people.

But people wanted more than the "Jerry Kill" name, largely because Maturi told them they were going to go after more than that. In fact they seem willing to accept that some of the top candidates declined to come to the U of M, and that they were going to have to work a little further down the list. However, pointing out that Mike Leach expressed interest in the job so people are asking why in the heck the U didn't take him up on it. Mike would have brought instant energy and noteriety and would have made the U of M a national talking point. Instead, from a national perspective, they got "meh".

I'll say this for Maturi, with the hire he was able to ignite an apathetic fan base. Just not in a positive way.

TopDawg
12/7/2010, 12:41 PM
I'll say this for Maturi, with the hire he was able to ignite an apathetic fan base. Just not in a positive way.

Haha...yeah, when you mentioned that they were up in arms I figured, like you said, well, he set himself up for this.

I think Kill is a good coach, but you're not gonna win any press conferences with that announcement. But he knows that general area (has been a head coach in Michigan, southern Illinois and northern Illinois) and, heck, he beat Minnesota last year 34-24, so it's an upgrade in that respect.

badger
12/7/2010, 01:13 PM
Normally I would tell those stupid gophers that their football program has been crap lately and they don't know what they want because they haven't experienced it... but that stadium DID cost $288 million.

Eff it... Minny, you only know how to lose lately. Let the athletic department hire the guy they think can win for you. Big names are only available if they've sucked lately or you spend money that you are locked into (see Charlie Weis, Notre Dame and to a lesser degree, Turner Gill, Kansas) whether the results are there or not.

bigfatjerk
12/7/2010, 04:01 PM
Dave Wanstedt canned at Pitt

badger
12/7/2010, 04:09 PM
Wilson got $1.2 mil per for seven years if you wanna add that to your master list dawg

Jacie
12/7/2010, 04:42 PM
Dave Wanstedt canned at Pitt

If only KW had held out a couple of more days . . .

bigfatjerk
12/7/2010, 04:50 PM
Pitt is Brent Venables job.

oumartin
12/7/2010, 05:04 PM
Pitt would be a great job, KW mighta jumped too soon

TopDawg
12/7/2010, 05:09 PM
Updated. Calhoun says he's committed to Air Force. His name had surface with a few of these openings (primarily CU) and then came up again with the firing of Denver's head coach.

NormanPride
12/7/2010, 05:15 PM
I really hope we don't lose both coordinators. That would be disastrous.

BoulderSooner79
12/7/2010, 05:19 PM

Can we invoke a stop-loss executive order? :O

SoonerMom2
12/7/2010, 05:20 PM
Don't see Venerables going to Pitt. His family and his wife's are all out in Middle America and they probably would not like the East Coast and PA is the East Coast. Why would Pitt be a better job than Indiana? Big 10 versus Big East -- Big 10 hands down.

Who would want to live in Pittsburg when you can live in Norman? Big East is a joke in football anywhere you slice it.

Never want to live east of the Mississippi again and I grew up in Ohio. Middle America all the way!

bigfatjerk
12/7/2010, 05:21 PM

If you have no confidence in Bob Stoops then I agree. But I do have confidence in him. Plus if we go to more of a 3-4 look which is basically what we ran the last 4 games. Wouldn't we want a coach that knows more about that defense?

bigfatjerk
12/7/2010, 05:24 PM
Don't see Venerables going to Pitt. His family and his wife's are all out in Middle America and they probably would not like the East Coast and PA is the East Coast. Why would Pitt be a better job than Indiana? Big 10 versus Big East -- Big 10 hands down.

Who would want to live in Pittsburg when you can live in Norman? Big East is a joke in football anywhere you slice it.

Never want to live east of the Mississippi again and I grew up in Ohio. Middle America all the way!

I bet Venables doesn't take the job. But Pitt is a really solid job and they have enough talent to win that league.

TopDawg
12/8/2010, 03:13 PM
So, any coaching news today? Seems like a pretty quite day on the coaching front.

Collier11
12/8/2010, 03:44 PM
You need to add N.Ill to your list and Embree has been announced at CU with Bienemy as the Off Coord

TopDawg
12/8/2010, 03:57 PM
You need to add N.Ill to your list and Embree has been announced at CU with Bienemy as the Off Coord

Oh yeah...I guess NIU has an opening now too, huh? heh

Oh, and I changed the color on CU but forgot to change "rumored leading candidate" to "new coach" thanks for catching that.

Collier11
12/8/2010, 04:01 PM
Im watching you :D

TopDawg
12/8/2010, 04:02 PM
Updated. Looks like Pitt is interested in Mike Stoops and Al Golden. I'm gonna wait to put up the Florida one. Ya know...just to make sure it's a solid commit.

bigfatjerk
12/8/2010, 04:04 PM
Probably got burned by Meyer last year.

Collier11
12/8/2010, 04:10 PM
Updated. Looks like Pitt is interested in Mike Stoops and Al Golden. I'm gonna wait to put up the Florida one. Ya know...just to make sure it's a solid commit.

If I was Mike Stoops I would jump all over Pitt, BCS conf that is easily winnable and it is clear that he may have done all he can at Zona

TopDawg
12/8/2010, 04:54 PM
This is a good time to be in the Pac-10 with USC on probation. One would think that Stanford is likely to take a dip after Luck graduates (not sure who they've got in the wings). Oregon looks to be solid for a while, but Zona could move up into the #2 spot of that conference and compete for that title. Having said that, it does seem like he's kinda maxed out there. The way they ended this year makes you wonder if maybe Arizona is just always going to be a 5-loss team. And Pitt has to be intriguing in, like you said, a very winnable conference. And it's closer to where he grew up.

TopDawg
12/9/2010, 04:01 PM
a few updates...not much

oumartin
12/9/2010, 04:02 PM
I heard that Dana Holgerson interviewed at Pitt today

stoops the eternal pimp
12/9/2010, 04:07 PM
Im interviewing at Florida tomorrow

TopDawg
12/9/2010, 05:03 PM
I heard that Dana Holgerson interviewed at Pitt today

That one was floating around there, but then Dana Holgorsen released a statement saying, "I have not been contacted (by Pitt)."

Collier11
12/9/2010, 05:11 PM
Which means he will be introduced as new HC at 6pm

budbarrybob
12/9/2010, 06:03 PM
^^this

TopDawg
12/10/2010, 10:32 AM
"Sources" are saying that Malzahn has been offered the Vandy job and if he doesn't take it, James Franklin (Maryland OC) will be the guy.

Soonerwake
12/10/2010, 11:34 AM
The best hire for Florida is...
http://cfn.scout.com/2/1029685.html

Our little brothers won't like this one. :D

madillsoonerfan5353
12/10/2010, 02:01 PM
Oregon looks to be solid for a while

Don't they have like 25 seniors? I think a few are on the o line? That will be hard to over come?

:gary:

madillsoonerfan5353
12/10/2010, 02:04 PM
The best hire for Florida is...
http://cfn.scout.com/2/1029685.html

Our little brothers won't like this one. :D

I LOL'D and know my computer screen is covered in Coke.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! I don't think lil' brother has to worry about that.

TopDawg
12/10/2010, 03:17 PM
Don't they have like 25 seniors? I think a few are on the o line? That will be hard to over come?

:gary:

Could be...I was mostly thinking of their skill position players. Plus the fact that they've been pretty solid now for a couple of years. With 4 straight 9 (or more) win seasons, they'll probably be able to reload. I didn't mean to insinuate that they'll be in the national title hunt again next year (although they might) just that they're likely to maintain their spot at the top of the Pac 10.

TopDawg
12/13/2010, 10:54 AM
Lots of updates.

It looks like it's all-but-official at Vandy so I updated it, but will leave it red until it's official.

Cryptic reports that Holgorsen will have a new job by the end of the week...but not where we might be hearing. (Maybe as OC at Texas or Florida?)

TopDawg
12/13/2010, 10:56 AM
So far only 2 head coaches have left for other schools which is keeping the total number of jobs down a bit from recent years.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/13/2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the updates..

Im suprised about Malzahn taking that job

TopDawg
12/13/2010, 11:03 AM
Here are the number of changes over the past decade. (Year denotes the season that had just finished.)

2000 - 25
2001 - 13
2002 - 18
2003 - 13
2004 - 23
2005 - 11
2006 - 24
2007 - 18
2008 - 22
2009 - 23
2010 - 14 so far

TopDawg
12/13/2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the updates..

Im suprised about Malzahn taking that job

Kinda surprises me too. Makes me wonder if he feels like stuff is about to hit the fan in Auburn and he doesn't wanna be around when it does. ORRRR...maybe he feels like his stock is pretty high right now and he wants to get out before it drops once Cam leaves.

It also surprises me that he wasn't in the running for some of the other positions.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/13/2010, 11:58 AM
Anybody besides me think Al Golden at Miami is an odd fit?

I think Miami should have taken a coach from the Northeast... just not Al.

Greg Schiano from Rutgers would have been a better fit. He already covers the eastern seaboard including South Florida in recruiting, and was DC at Miami '99-'00.

TopDawg
12/13/2010, 12:02 PM
I don't know much about Golden, but Temple-to-Miami seems like an odd jump.

Didn't realize Schiano was DC there before. That does make it a little surprising that he didn't get more attention...at least not publicly. Golden was a pretty hot prospect this round, though.

OUinFLA
12/13/2010, 12:12 PM
Kinda surprises me too. Makes me wonder if he feels like stuff is about to hit the fan in Auburn and he doesn't wanna be around when it does. ORRRR...maybe he feels like his stock is pretty high right now and he wants to get out before it drops once Cam leaves.

It also surprises me that he wasn't in the running for some of the other positions.

for the reported $3 million salary for 7 years, I'd coach women's lacross at Montana St Teachers College

When I heard what he was going to be paid, I didn't blame him at all for jumping at the job.
in 2005 he was making 42K coaching high school.

OklahomaTuba
12/13/2010, 12:19 PM
Guys a damn good coach. Did a helluva job at Tulsa.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/13/2010, 12:21 PM
Schiano's stock has dropped way, way down at Rutgers...heck, those folks want him fired

bluedogok
12/13/2010, 12:34 PM
Schiano's stock has dropped way, way down at Rutgers...heck, those folks want him fired
Plus he has connections to previous Miami coaches and if the administration is truly trying to get away from the Miami past, Golden is a "clean guy" in their book.

TopDawg
12/13/2010, 01:10 PM
for the reported $3 million salary for 7 years, I'd coach women's lacross at Montana St Teachers College

When I heard what he was going to be paid, I didn't blame him at all for jumping at the job.

Oh, wow...I hadn't heard about that offer. That would be pretty compelling.

TopDawg
12/13/2010, 01:23 PM

A 6-game losing streak to end the season will do that to your fan base...and hurt your prospects on the job market. Still, he's done a great job there and Rutgers fans need to be reminded that they are RUTGERS FANS for crying out loud. He had 43 wins in his previous 5 years there. He took over in 2001 and if you look at the time before he became head coach you have to go back to 1988 to put together 43 wins. You have to go back to 1980 to find a total of 5 winning seasons (which Schiano had from 2005-2009). 1980 also marks the end of their last streak of winning records that was at least 5 seasons long (it was 9 seasons long).

It'll be interesting to see if he bounces back next year.

Scott D
12/13/2010, 02:14 PM
didn't you know, Rutgers invented football ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
12/13/2010, 02:56 PM
Hey TD, Gus told Vandy no...

TopDawg
12/13/2010, 03:18 PM
Hey TD, Gus told Vandy no...

That loud groan you just heard came from Eugene, Oregon.

Piware
12/13/2010, 03:41 PM
Holgerson will be gone from OSU sooner than they think.....

Not to worry - they are convinced Mike Leach will be the new OC if Holgerson goes. I would like an 8 x 10 glossy of Gumby/T. Bone trying to boss Leach around. :rolleyes:

TopDawg
12/13/2010, 03:59 PM
Rumblings that Norvell may be in the picture at Pitt. The Pitt AD is Pederson...who was at Nebraska when Norvell was there.

Scott D
12/14/2010, 02:16 AM
dunno....Pitt paper is reporting that Holgerson has been offered the Pitt job.

tommieharris91
12/14/2010, 02:26 AM
I've seen a report saying Holgorson to WVU after the bowl season, but I don't really trust the source.

Jacie
12/14/2010, 08:20 AM
Here's one I had to read over twice to make sure I got it all.

Jerry Kill, the head coach at Northern Illinois University (NIU), will be the new coach at Minnesota. As an aside, until this season I didn't know Northern Illinois played in Division 1 but here they are, receiving votes in the AP and USA Today polls (after going 10-3) and playing in a bowl game (even with bowl game inflation, not every team goes to one). So Kill is jumping from the Mid America to the Big 10.

Back at NIU, they just announced their new head coach, Dave Doeren, who was the defensive coordinator at Wisconsin. So Dave is jumping from the Big 10 to the Mid America. To make it even more interesting, NIU will play Wisconsin in 2011 . . .

OUinFLA
12/14/2010, 08:31 AM
I've seen a report saying Holgorson to WVU after the bowl season, but I don't really trust the source.

Heard the same on Fla boards.

How can you "really trust" any source nowdays?

TopDawg
12/14/2010, 10:51 AM

Which one?

The Norvell stuff is just "rumblings" so I just mentioned it...it's not on the "official" original post. :) But as several people have alluded to, Holgerson is being listed in reference to about 80% of the job openings right now.

Also, looks like Vandy is working on a contract with Franklin...Maryland's OC.

TopDawg
12/14/2010, 10:53 AM

Looks like Gus is getting 1.3 to stay at Auburn. If true, he's now making more as an assistant than his former boss, Todd Graham, is making as a head coach.

OUinFLA
12/14/2010, 11:07 AM
looks like you just cant trust sports fan boards.

:D

TopDawg
12/15/2010, 04:26 PM
It sounds like Vandy is ready to offer Franklin, but they want to know who will be joining him on staff. In other words, they're waiting to make it official until he has commitments from the people who would join him rather than just ideas of who he would offer those positions too. Presumably that's just for OC and DC, but could be more.

TopDawg
12/17/2010, 11:09 AM
A few updates. Pitt and Vandy both hired their guys. Now Miami, OH has an opening.

badger
12/17/2010, 12:24 PM
Here are the number of changes over the past decade. (Year denotes the season that had just finished.)

2000 - 25
2001 - 13
2002 - 18
2003 - 13
2004 - 23
2005 - 11
2006 - 24
2007 - 18
2008 - 22
2009 - 23
2010 - 14 so far

Do you think the economy has anything to do with more hirings/firings? I know Colorado kept their coach longer than preferred because they couldn't afford to fire him. KU is likely going to be in the same situation with Turner Gill for the next several years assuming he continues losing...

Are coaches contracts getting harder to bail out on without huge buyouts? Are the universities less powerful money-wise to retain the coaches they want or dump the coaches they want out?

TopDawg
12/18/2010, 04:03 PM
Do you think the economy has anything to do with more hirings/firings? I know Colorado kept their coach longer than preferred because they couldn't afford to fire him. KU is likely going to be in the same situation with Turner Gill for the next several years assuming he continues losing...

Are coaches contracts getting harder to bail out on without huge buyouts? Are the universities less powerful money-wise to retain the coaches they want or dump the coaches they want out?

Good questions...I'm not sure. There might be a school of thought that the money you lose in a buyout can be earned back quickly if you get a coach who is going to drastically improve the team. But I dunno about all of that.

But speaking of buyouts, it appears that perhaps Maryland is encouraging Friedgen to retire and using some sort of a buyout as their carrot. If he does, they might go after Leach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5931102

TopDawg
12/20/2010, 10:45 AM
Only one opening right now. (I haven't added Maryland yet because all I've heard is that the announcement is coming.)

bigfatjerk
12/20/2010, 11:35 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5938838

TopDawg
12/20/2010, 05:57 PM
ACC Coach of the Year Fired

Jacie
12/23/2010, 12:05 PM
A painful memory for Sooners is West Virginia's hiring of Bill Stewart when the team formerly assembled and coached by Rich Rodriguez won their bowl game.

Therefore, it is somewhat karma-esque that there is talk Michigan will release Rich Rod if Big Blue loses the Gator Bowl.

The Wolverines got off to a 5-0 start this year, then went 2-5 down the stretch.

When his body of work since coming to Ann Arbor is held to scrutiny, it begs the question whether Michigan's big-name hire can ever deliver the goods.

The ripple effect if Rodriguez is sent packing would be felt across Division 1 as UM would want more credentials than potential, which would mean raiding another school for their coach, precipitating a search by that school for a replacement and so on.

TopDawg
1/4/2011, 10:54 AM
It's been a while, so several updates.

Pitt on the prowl again.
Miami (OH), Temple and Maryland fill their spots.
UConn looking for another head man.

Other noteworthy tidbits: Okie State RB coach Robert Gillespie is following Holgorsen out to WVU.
Alabama defensive line coach Bo Davis has accepted the same position at Texas.
Reports that Wisconsin offensive coordinator/QB coach Paul Chryst was in Austin yesterday.
Rumblings that Chow may be out as OC at UCLA.

Scott D
1/5/2011, 11:58 AM
RichRod officially gone.

dwarthog
1/5/2011, 01:04 PM
Here's one I had to read over twice to make sure I got it all.

Jerry Kill, the head coach at Northern Illinois University (NIU), will be the new coach at Minnesota. As an aside, until this season I didn't know Northern Illinois played in Division 1 but here they are, receiving votes in the AP and USA Today polls (after going 10-3) and playing in a bowl game (even with bowl game inflation, not every team goes to one). So Kill is jumping from the Mid America to the Big 10.

Back at NIU, they just announced their new head coach, Dave Doeren, who was the defensive coordinator at Wisconsin. So Dave is jumping from the Big 10 to the Mid America. To make it even more interesting, NIU will play Wisconsin in 2011 . . .

Jerry Kill has his work cut out for him with that program. Good luck to him up there.

TopDawg
1/5/2011, 01:43 PM
RichRod officially gone.

Now it gets interesting.

TopDawg
1/5/2011, 01:50 PM
Heard this one the sportsanimal yesterday so take it for what it's worth.

Some of the higher-ups at Maryland were really nervous about Mike Leach, but Under Armour was pushing hard for him so they were going to take a shot. The only stipulation was that since the ACC has a lucrative contract with ESPN, they were going to require him to drop his lawsuit and he refused.

If nothing else, it makes for a good story.

OklahomaTuba
1/5/2011, 01:52 PM
If Leach can prove that, ESPIN owes The Pirate some big bucks.

TopDawg
1/5/2011, 10:40 PM
Texas hires Mississippi State defensive coordinator Manny Diaz for same position with horns.

There's a report that Bradley, the Penn State DC, has been offered the job at Pitt, but it's unconfirmed. In fact, it's denied by Pitt, but that might just be their way of buying time ala Michigan.

Scott D
1/6/2011, 04:32 PM
Not sure how much faith I'd put in rumors that have Pitt strongly interested in bringing RichRod on board to tweak the noses of their arch-rivals.

TopDawg
1/6/2011, 06:21 PM
Some reports that Boise State offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Bryan Harsin is meeting with Mack Brown today.

TopDawg
1/7/2011, 10:00 AM
Looks like Phil Bennett will be returning to the Big XII...this time as DC at Baylor.

TopDawg
1/7/2011, 04:12 PM
Earlier, Mortenson said that it was down to Stanford and the 9ers for Harbaugh, but that Stanford was the favorite. Now Shefter is reporting that he's reached a 5-year agreement with the 49ers.

bearfan08
1/7/2011, 04:49 PM
Phil Bennett was officially announced as new DC at Baylor. I am pumped a real defensive coach. It sure as hell can't get much worse.

TopDawg
1/7/2011, 09:40 PM
Added Stanford.

Rumor is that two NFL assistants are on the list for UCONN. Pitt interviewed Foster today.
Anybody hearing anything about Michigan?

Breadburner
1/8/2011, 01:36 AM
Todd Graham to Pitt.....

TopDawg
1/8/2011, 10:07 PM
Updated.

Added Graham to the Pitt list and our own Garrick McGee to the UConn list. Some reports saying they'll be speaking to him (or already have).

Mjcpr
1/8/2011, 10:20 PM
Added Stanford.

Rumor is that two NFL assistants are on the list for UCONN. Pitt interviewed Foster today.
Anybody hearing anything about Michigan?

ESPN says Michigan is interested in Miles and he has interest in them. He has been my guess all along for them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6003504

TopDawg
1/8/2011, 10:33 PM
Oh yeah...THAT was the update I logged on to make...then just forgot. Thanks for the reminder.

Breadburner
1/8/2011, 11:33 PM
Updated.

Added Graham to the Pitt list and our own Garrick McGee to the UConn list. Some reports saying they'll be speaking to him (or already have).

Im hearing if Graham heads to Pitt then Joe Deforest might get the TU gig.....

TopDawg
1/8/2011, 11:37 PM
What is their old coach up to these days?

Breadburner
1/8/2011, 11:42 PM
What is their old coach up to these days?

Kragthorp....???

Mjcpr
1/8/2011, 11:47 PM
Living here in Tulsa on Louisville's money while his son finishes school.

oumartin
1/8/2011, 11:59 PM
Kraghthorpe was good for Tulsa, I think if he were offered the job again he would jump on it and probably never leave.

Oh,and Stanford is going after Chris Peterson

CowboyMRW
1/9/2011, 12:05 AM
Im hearing if Graham heads to Pitt then Joe Deforest might get the TU gig.....

Defo, as in our coach Defo. Haven't heard that one

TopDawg
1/9/2011, 12:23 AM
Yeah, Kragthorpe.

And I've got Peterson listed on the Stanford entry...he's the only one I've really heard about for them.

Breadburner
1/9/2011, 12:36 AM
Defo, as in our coach Defo. Haven't heard that one

You probably wont.....

TopDawg
1/11/2011, 01:58 PM
Updated. Graham goes from Tulsa to Pitt.

Some Tulsa donors and big wigs want Kragthorpe. Some LSU donors and big wigs want Les.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/11/2011, 02:04 PM
Peterson has turned down Stanford

stoops the eternal pimp
1/11/2011, 02:05 PM
Les turned down Michigan also

bigfatjerk
1/11/2011, 03:21 PM
Mike Sherman of A&M is rumored to go back to the NFL with Cleveland.

oumartin
1/11/2011, 03:40 PM
Peterson is holding out for Stoops to retire

Soonerfan88
1/11/2011, 04:50 PM
I would love to see Garrick McGee get the Tulsa job. Always great to see Sooners succeeding.

And it gets him out of Arkie.

agoo758
1/11/2011, 06:36 PM
Already in another thread, but I'll just put it here for the record. Brady Hoke is Michigan's new head coach.

TopDawg
1/12/2011, 10:48 AM
And SDSU promoted their DC.

It sounds like UConn is about ready to ink a deal with Whipple. Apparently Tulsa isn't going to pursue Kragthorpe. Anybody hearing anything else about them or Stanford?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/12/2011, 10:49 AM
And SDSU promoted their DC.

It sounds like UConn is about ready to ink a deal with Whipple. Apparently Tulsa isn't going to pursue Kragthorpe. Anybody hearing anything else about them or Stanford?

Tulsa isn't letting much out, but they did let Kragthorpe know he isn't a candidate...Heard that Chad Morris, the recently departed to Clemson OC, is a candidate though

Scott D
1/12/2011, 01:49 PM
Stanford should go for Dennis Green and Ty Willingham as co-head coaches.

badger
1/12/2011, 05:40 PM
I would love to see Garrick McGee get the Tulsa job. Always great to see Sooners succeeding.

Just confirmed that he interviewed for it.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/TU/article.aspx?subjectid=94&articleid=20110112_94_0_Garric536234)

Kragthorpe is getting the cold shoulder, understandably. His son is graduating from local pricey private school, and he still calls Tulsa home after a Louisville detour, but they're not gonna give him a second chance to dump TU.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/TU/article.aspx?subjectid=94&articleid=20110112_94_B1_CUTLIN841102&archive=yes)

TopDawg
1/13/2011, 11:15 AM
Well, now it seems as though Paul Pasqualoni (of the Dallas Cowboys) is a strong candidate at UConn. Apparently they were pretty sold on Whipple, but hadn't talked to Pasqualoni yet and were blown away by him too.

Also, it sounds like Garrick will be meeting with Tulsa officials (including the pres) today.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/13/2011, 11:19 AM
The Yale coach, Tom Williams, has had some talks with Stanford about their job...

badger
1/13/2011, 04:43 PM
The latest on the TU job is that they're using the Graham bail as an opportunity to cut the budget. Thus, no $1.2 mil head coaching salary and probably less for assistants too once a new staff arrives.

btw, speaking of Kragggggg, check out this article (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=23&articleid=070110_Sp_B7_Playe55618&archive=yes)on when he left. There were some funny quotables which might attribute to his lack of success in Louisville. For example:

"We're going to try and find the best players that fit the University of Tulsa. University of Tulsa? University of Louisville. I haven't slept in two days."

Also, I have to think the worst of Andrew Luck's decision to stay at Stanford now despite his coach leaving. It didn't work out for Brian Brohm (a projected first rounder and Heisman candidate before Krag arrived and Petrino left Louisville) or Rex Grossman (a sophomore Heisman candidate that gutted out the Zook years after Spurrier left Florida). Regardless of who Stanford finds, will Luck be able to improve his pro stock?

agoo758
1/13/2011, 05:11 PM
Stanford should go for Dennis Green and Ty Willingham as co-head coaches.

Well, Willingham actually had some success at Stanford believe it or not. How about Buddy Teevens?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2011, 10:01 AM
Stanford hired David Shaw

oumartin
1/14/2011, 10:14 AM
and UCONN did hire Paul P.

TopDawg
1/14/2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks. Updating.

And now it looks like Tulsa is thinking about promoting Bill Blankenship, their running backs coach/special teams coordinator.

badger
1/14/2011, 11:21 AM
Yeah - stay tuned. Presser at 2 p.m.

TopDawg
1/14/2011, 11:24 AM
Yeah - stay tuned. Presser at 2 p.m.

I wonder if it had anything to do with the salary thing you mentioned. They say that Garrick withdrew his name...wonder if it was once he saw what they were offering.

It looks like Tulsa is the only opening remaining. Is that right?

badger
1/14/2011, 11:38 AM
Here's a quote from an article several days ago (before it was widely known that Krag was a definite NO)

Some TU insiders believe if Morris does get the job, it's a sign the university is intent on getting the coaching salaries more in line with the rest of the athletic department.

Graham's success in the four seasons after he replaced Kragthorpe forced TU to give him a 10-year contract extension and up his salary to a reported $1.3 million per year.

Morris obviously wouldn't initially command a salary in the same tax bracket as Graham. The same would apply to Morris' staff, which is expected to have several openings because of the assistants joining Graham.

Kragthorpe, who received a $2.2 million buyout from Louisville, also might accept a contract that pays him less than what Graham made.

A huge upside to promoting Morris would be his considerable recruiting contacts in Texas. It also would enable TU to hopefully keep most of the players who had verbally committed to signing with the Hurricane next month on the assumption Graham would be their coach.

So, does TU take a leap of faith with Morris or take what should be the sure thing in Kragthorpe?

With signing day looming, TU fans should have an answer shortly.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/TU/article.aspx?subjectid=94&articleid=20110111_202_B1_IFYOUC159006&archive=yes

TopDawg
1/18/2011, 04:38 PM
so are we all coached up?

TopDawg
1/18/2011, 04:38 PM
I wonder if it had anything to do with the salary thing you mentioned. They say that Garrick withdrew his name...wonder if it was once he saw what they were offering.

It looks like Tulsa is the only opening remaining. Is that right?

There's also a report that the job was offered to A&M's DC, but he refused when he found out the salary offer was $500,000.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/18/2011, 04:39 PM
good work TopDawg in getting those guys jobs

TopDawg
1/18/2011, 04:41 PM
I do what I can. It doesn't always work out the way I'd like, but it works out. ;)

texaspokieokie
1/19/2011, 08:50 AM
Todd Dodge is going to Pitt to be QB coach for X-Tulsa coach.