PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 Players weigh in on Marcus Dupree film

TheMind__Gap
11/10/2010, 01:56 PM
ESPN's 30 for 30 documentary on one-time Oklahoma star Marcus Dupree premiered on Tuesday night, and will air again Thursday night at 11:30 p.m. ET.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12

Plenty of players across the Big 12 caught the premiere, and weighed in with their thoughts via Twitter during the show. A few selections:

Iowa State quarterback Austen Arnaud (@Austen_4): "Sad story marcus dupree the best rb that never was"

Oklahoma State quarterback Brandon Weeden (@bweeden4): "I'm watching the 30 for 30 on Marcus Dupree. That dude was a beast. I wonder what would of happened if Switzer treated him better at OU???"

Former Missouri running back Derrick Washington (@Wash_24): "MARCUS DUPREE WAS TOOOO GOOD.."

Missouri receiver Wes Kemp (@Wes_Kemp_8): "Watching espn 30 for 30 on Marcus Dupree...Dupree was a stud"

Kansas receiver Daymond Patterson (@15staylive): "I love that @espn 30 for 30"

Texas A&M receiver Uzoma Nwachukwu (@7sbackkkTX): "This 30 for 30 is amazing"

Former Iowa State quarterback Bret Meyer (@Bret_Meyer7): "Sad story on Dupree. Wonder what would have been if he played in diff era."

Iowa State receiver Josh Lenz (@jlenz19): "Crazy story! At least he got back to the league for 2 yrs but def sad"

Seamus
11/10/2010, 01:58 PM
Weeden = tool.

Knippz
11/10/2010, 02:01 PM
Wow what a tool that Oklahoma State quarterback.

Knippz
11/10/2010, 02:02 PM
Lol Seamus, I didn't see your post before I posted. I'm glad we share the same sentiments.

duncansooner
11/10/2010, 02:03 PM
Did Weeden even watch the thing?

soonersweetie
11/10/2010, 02:04 PM
no kidding, Weeden couldn't say something nice about Dupree? Go figure

soonerchk
11/10/2010, 02:06 PM
Am I allowed to call Weeden a dick? Cause he is.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/10/2010, 02:06 PM
Brandon Weeden probably played against Marcus

Scott D
11/10/2010, 02:08 PM
in high school.

85sooners
11/10/2010, 02:20 PM
;)

Sooner_Bob
11/10/2010, 02:24 PM

Weeden was the white "ball boy" massaging Marcus' calves . . .

picasso
11/10/2010, 02:25 PM
Taylor Weeden has had an easy ride thus far. There's going to come a day when he actually faces some pressure and things don't bounce his way.

Then, gasp, his coach might just yell at him. Oh the horror.

badger
11/10/2010, 02:33 PM
Oklahoma State quarterback Brandon Weeden (@bweeden4): "I'm watching the 30 for 30 on Marcus Dupree. That dude was a beast. I wonder what would of happened if Switzer treated him better at OU???"

Jenni Carlson called. She wants to know if Gundy's been coddling and feeding you chicken again so that there's a column to write after OSU's next loss.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/10/2010, 02:42 PM
Taylor Weeden has had an easy ride thus far.

Taylor??? :confused:

soonerbub
11/10/2010, 02:45 PM
The uber-toolish thing is the guy is weinke old tweeting bulletin board material to his "archrival". I actually thought his old man qb story was kinda cool but now **** that guy now I know why he's a ****ing aggie

KantoSooner
11/10/2010, 02:46 PM
Marcus Dupree was a far more gifted version of Arthur Brown. I don't really blame either one for any nonsense they spout.

Their 'handlers', 'advisors' and 'family friends'? They deserve to die slow, painful and very humilating deaths. And here I'm thinking something wholesomely medieval...leprosy, perhaps. No, no, better yet: the bleeding flux. They deserve it richly.

Scott D
11/10/2010, 02:46 PM
the old man qb story was only cool when it was scott bakula

stoops the eternal pimp
11/10/2010, 02:47 PM
he had ed gennero to teach him the ropes though...

gennero>gundy

Scott D
11/10/2010, 02:47 PM
indeed my friend, indeed.

Cornfed
11/10/2010, 02:50 PM
Who cares what they think, they just wish they could wear crimson.

Sooner_Bob
11/10/2010, 02:51 PM

Keanu Reeves checked in . . . he's here as your replacement.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/10/2010, 02:56 PM
Paul Blake was a way better quarterback than Shane Falco...Falco wouldn't stand tall in the pocket and Blake's arm was much stronger

Sooner_Bob
11/10/2010, 03:02 PM
Falco's cheerleader girlfriend was way hawter though.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/10/2010, 03:04 PM
blake's kicker was hawter

Sooner_Bob
11/10/2010, 03:07 PM
Wonder if she has any eligibility left?

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7711/kicker.png

GDC
11/10/2010, 03:08 PM

or Weinke

badger
11/10/2010, 03:26 PM
Are we still insulting Brandon Weeden? If so, here goes: It's easy for him to judge a poor college student's decision when he's camping on a full ride from the New York Yankees, who not only pay for his college, but also paid him first-round money back when they drafted him.

I bet he'd be singing a far different tune if Gundy continued to be an idiot during last year's Colorado debacle (on NATIONAL TELEVISION) and kept benching him in favor of Cate despite Cate's awful first-half performance. Or perhaps, he understands what it's like for a coach to be rough on a player who thinks he should be starting???

diegosooner
11/10/2010, 03:35 PM
very predickable.

soonerchk
11/10/2010, 03:35 PM
Are we still insulting Brandon Weeden? If so, here goes: It's easy for him to judge a poor college student's decision when he's camping on a full ride from the New York Yankees, who not only pay for his college, but also paid him first-round money back when they drafted him.

I bet he'd be singing a far different tune if Gundy continued to be an idiot during last year's Colorado debacle (on NATIONAL TELEVISION) and kept benching him in favor of Cate despite Cate's awful first-half performance. Or perhaps, he understands what it's like for a coach to be rough on a player who thinks he should be starting???

Or maybe he's just a dick.

DarrellZero
11/10/2010, 03:38 PM
Are we still insulting Brandon Weeden?

When he's tweeting ignorant comments about Dupree/Switzer, yeah.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/10/2010, 03:41 PM
Marcus Dupree was a far more gifted version of Arthur Brown.

The K-State linebacker??? :confused: Maybe you mean Jim Brown? Maybe Bryce Brown? Maybe you don't know what yer talkin' bout!? :D

MiccoMacey
11/10/2010, 03:49 PM
Sorry...color me as one who didn't think it was out of line.

He commented on a situation that happened 28 years ago. Just like the rest of us.

And just like most of the rest of us (including Switzer himself), he thought Switzer was too harsh on Dupree.

If you're insulted by what he said, then you are just wanting to be insulted.

If our RB Finch made that statement, this thread wouldn't exist.

soonerchk
11/10/2010, 03:51 PM

He commented on a situation that happened 28 years ago. Just like the rest of us.

And just like most of the rest of us (including Switzer himself), he thought Switzer was too harsh on Dupree.

Wanna bet? Only we'd be talking about Finch being suspended for tweeting stupid stuff.

Scott D
11/10/2010, 03:51 PM

I disagree, I'm making fun of Weeden for being 35 ;)

MiccoMacey
11/10/2010, 03:59 PM
Wanna bet? Only we'd be talking about Finch being suspended for tweeting stupid stuff.

He'd be suspended for what...tweeting factually correct information?

Unless we have a non-Tweeting rule (which we may have)...my point being what was said wasn't incorrect or rude.

And according to The King, it was completely accurate.

So don't argue with me...argue with Barry Switzer.

texaspokieokie
11/10/2010, 04:01 PM
only making fun of weeden cause he's doing well (so far) @ osu.

Scott D
11/10/2010, 04:03 PM
nah I made fun of old man weinke when he was at fsu

texaspokieokie
11/10/2010, 04:04 PM
robert conrad also played in a movie about an old guy playing QB in college. it was stupid.

somewhat entertaining.

Scott D
11/10/2010, 04:05 PM
See now if I went "Why did Brandon Weeden go to OSU?"

Because BYU was out of scholarships *rimshot* that would be uncalled for....maybe...nah. :D

soonerchk
11/10/2010, 04:06 PM

Unless we have a non-Tweeting rule (which we may have)...my point being what was said wasn't incorrect or rude.

Oh, I already have argued with Barry about it.

Sooner_Bob
11/10/2010, 04:09 PM
See now if I went "Why did Brandon Weeden go to OSU?"

Because BYU was out of scholarships *rimshot* that would be uncalled for....maybe...nah. :D

Not uncalled for at all . . . :P

texaspokieokie
11/10/2010, 04:38 PM

what makes you think the yanks are paying for his college ??
was drafted in 2nd round & traded to dodgers, then kc.

who knows what he understands ??

he understands 18 hr bus rides in the minors.

badger
11/10/2010, 04:46 PM
what makes you think the yanks are paying for his college

It was written into his contract. If I recall correctly, the Yanks first draft pick that year was the second round, so just to clarify - FIRST pick for yanks, SECOND round of the mlb draft... and half a million is a lot of money, regardless of what round you're taken in :D

Long post short, I was just joining in on the hate-weeden train and that shouldn't all be taken as hardcore fact. You want hardcore facts on pokes, you're at the wrong board. :stunned:

texaspokieokie
11/10/2010, 04:47 PM
facts not necessary.

badger
11/10/2010, 04:52 PM
facts not necessary.

Not in a hate-weeden conversation :D

But, I have read that it was written into his minor league contract that college was paid for if baseball didn't work out. It didn't work out, so whether he's on football scholarship or yankee scholarship right now I am not sure, but I bet Gundy would love to have an extra of the 85 with the starting QB not on fball scholly

bluedogok
11/10/2010, 04:58 PM
But, I have read that it was written into his minor league contract that college was paid for if baseball didn't work out. It didn't work out, so whether he's on football scholarship or yankee scholarship right now I am not sure, but I bet Gundy would love to have an extra of the 85 with the starting QB not on fball scholly
That is the case for many of them, the Dodgers were paying Cedric Benson's tuition and expenses while he was at UT.

texaspokieokie
11/10/2010, 04:59 PM
yep, who knows. he'd like to have 85 guys doing as well as weeden.
ships or not.

tejas could be a good game, @ least interesting.

funny, folks jumped on weeden for saying same as others, including Barry.

Scott D
11/10/2010, 04:59 PM
yeah but Cedric didn't wait until he was 40 to play halfback at UT :D

texaspokieokie
11/10/2010, 05:01 PM
That is the case for many of them, the Dodgers were paying Cedric Benson's tuition and expenses while he was at UT.

but, since he left yanks org; maybe not. belonged to KC.
sure would be fun to go to college with half a mil in the bank.

i'd have an escalade & a new vette.

wouldn't wanta play football tho.

Sooner95
11/10/2010, 05:06 PM

LMAO

badger
11/10/2010, 05:09 PM
You want facts? Here's some Brandon Weeden FACTS:

FACT: Brandon Weeden is a man, 40, who wants you to come after him.
FACT: Brandon Weeden and fellow Poke Matt Pilgrim host Twitter parties to decide who can rile up their coaches more. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20101110_93_0_STILLW636718) Pilgrim won this week.
FACT: Brandon Weeden throws a 80 mph fastball. With a football. With his foot.

texaspokieokie
11/10/2010, 05:11 PM
can't argue with those .

picasso
11/10/2010, 05:22 PM

Hindsight is good stuff. I wonder if Switzer was harder on him than any other of his studs. I doubt it.

Weeden probably should have wondered how well Dupree would've done if he was a bit more mature, like say a 27 year old.

KantoSooner
11/10/2010, 05:27 PM
The K-State linebacker??? :confused: Maybe you mean Jim Brown? Maybe Bryce Brown? Maybe you don't know what yer talkin' bout!? :D

KSU linebacker. I'm aware that he does not play Dupree's position. My reference was to his courtship, the hoopla over his recruitment and his subsequent blow-ups and badmouthing of OU. All were reminescent of Dupree's case a generation earlier (albeit lesser in almost every way) - most particularly the involvement of an out of work cellphone salesman as an 'advisor' who probably did as much to screw up another person's life as anything I've seen in a while.

Next time I'll forward the powerpoint presentation. Smile, it's hump day.

85sooners
11/10/2010, 05:31 PM
:gary:

badger
11/10/2010, 05:37 PM
What is KSU linebacker.

Alex Trebek: A juco transfer that would be academically ineligble to play most other Div. 1 schools and ultimately lead to crappy graduation rates for Bill Snyder's squad. Opposing quarterbacks knees, beware!

(actually, that answer could apply to most ksu players,

Mad Dog Madsen
11/10/2010, 05:41 PM
KSU linebacker. I'm aware that he does not play Dupree's position. My reference was to his courtship, the hoopla over his recruitment and his subsequent blow-ups and badmouthing of OU. All were reminescent of Dupree's case a generation earlier (albeit lesser in almost every way) - most particularly the involvement of an out of work cellphone salesman as an 'advisor' who probably did as much to screw up another person's life as anything I've seen in a while.

Next time I'll forward the powerpoint presentation. Smile, it's hump day.

Ahhh, I see. Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense...

texaspokieokie
11/10/2010, 05:48 PM
Alex Trebek: A juco transfer that would be academically ineligble to play most other Div. 1 schools and ultimately lead to crappy graduation rates for Bill Snyder's squad. Opposing quarterbacks knees, beware!

(actually, that answer could apply to most ksu players,

no, he's that quiz show guy.:D

KantoSooner
11/10/2010, 05:50 PM
I've been told that, like 'The Shadow' I, through lessons learned in my many years in the Orient, have the power to cloud men's minds.

This power is not under even the vaguest hint of control, however. Sorry!

achiro
11/10/2010, 06:09 PM
Geez you guys are rough. I haven't gotten to watch it yet but I did hear BBJr on the sports animal this morning basically saying that The King was saying the same thing about it being one of his biggest coaching regrets(the way he treated/handled Dupree)

sooner ngintunr
11/10/2010, 06:26 PM
Geez you guys are rough. I haven't gotten to watch it yet but I did hear BBJr on the sports animal this morning basically saying that The King was saying the same thing about it being one of his biggest coaching regrets(the way he treated/handled Dupree)

He said that it was his biggest regret that he had as a coach.

To call Weeden a dick for that tweet is a little over the top. Making fun of him because he's old as dirt? Gold.

That Rev was sure a piece of work. **** that guy.

swardboy
11/10/2010, 07:39 PM
I blame Mr. Concussion.

boomermagic
11/10/2010, 07:42 PM
I think weeden is a poke so I don't like him..

boomermagic
11/10/2010, 07:44 PM
what makes you think the yanks are paying for his college ??
was drafted in 2nd round & traded to dodgers, then kc.

who knows what he understands ??

he understands 18 hr bus rides in the minors.

Hey, I don't care if it's true or not I'm gonna tell everyone it is anyway.. Cause I don't like osu.. Ok...

I think Chk is correct weeden is a 4 letter word starts with a d.. Hey, Say that again chk It turns me on when you type it and I read it..:D

Scott D
11/10/2010, 07:48 PM
Brandon Weeden is so old, he does curfew checks on Mike Gundy.

boomermagic
11/10/2010, 07:49 PM
:D :pop:
Brandon Weeden is so old, he does curfew checks on Mike Gundy.

85sooners
11/10/2010, 08:02 PM
:)

ashley
11/10/2010, 08:39 PM
Switzer took the high road on this, as he always does. The show didn't tell the whole story. It is easy to make a marter out of someone twenty-five years later. If he had not been so lazy and spoiled he would have been OK.

stoopified
11/11/2010, 11:22 AM
:D

badger
11/11/2010, 12:10 PM
Brandon Weeden is so old, his helmet has hearing aids.

Brandon Weeden is so old, his grandchildren operate his Twitter account.

Brandon Weeden is so old, he calls his university "Oklahoma A&M"

Brandon Weeden is so old, he tells people his team goals are to win the Big 8 and get voted as the AP National Champion.

Brandon Weeden is so old, his jersey is tear-away and his helmet is leather.

Mississippi Sooner
11/11/2010, 12:15 PM
My granddad used to tell stories of seeing Brandon Weeden in high school. Said that boy could run the single-wing like no one he'd ever seen. Amazing how he's been able to adapt to the modern game.

soonerchk
11/11/2010, 12:22 PM
He said that it was his biggest regret that he had as a coach.

To call Weeden a dick for that tweet is a little over the top. Making fun of him because he's old as dirt? Gold.

That Rev was sure a piece of work. **** that guy.

I think it's a little presumptuous of Mr Weeden to decide after watching that, that it was all Switzer's fault. It was just as much Dupree's fault, and IMO mostly Fairley's fault. I think Weeden used it to take a cheap shot at OU instead of realizing that the show was about Marcus Dupree and not really the Sooners.

Scott D
11/11/2010, 02:18 PM
Brandon Weeden is so old he remembers when olevet was born.

MyT Oklahoma
11/11/2010, 02:24 PM
Switzer took the high road on this, as he always does. The show didn't tell the whole story. It is easy to make a marter out of someone twenty-five years later. If he had not been so lazy and spoiled he would have been OK.

^^ This. Marcus was a great talent but he had a real attitude problem best solved with a Coach's foot up that part of his body that seldom sees the light of day.