PDA

View Full Version : Is the wind out of the sails

jmillerfan
11/9/2010, 10:51 PM
with the loss to atm??? Just a question because I see all this bickering and all these answers but I don't think most people know what goes into coaching a team with so much talent. It can't be easy I will say the play calling is tough to deal with at times but I think a fake field goal is an excellent call and the fade route was an excellent call. For the most part only a few plays make up the score in a game. If we are dropping passes that's not good. Players need to shoulder the burden of this too...I see so much grumbling about the coaches but geeeze dropped touchdown passes??? We have to become more consistent. At this point in their college life and especially on this tier these kids are expected to be able to catch the ball and be consistent. The coach can only do so much.

Back to the title and subject you really have to look at this team and realize they are a young team. A lot of people like to look at the RB position and think of it as stacked with talent but that is the oldest position on the field or someone correct me if I'm wrong but that position occupies 2 seniors for the one spot. Think of what we have and to finish strong this season will only make the team better. Just hang in there guys trust me I see big things happening with these young players and coaching staff. They will get a taste of success. I'm not giving up on this season but at this point I think the ship sails in the right direction with winning out. Being a Dallas Cowboy fan kind of gave me this perspective watching a bunch of guys who just don't give a damn and you get what you give a Damned Team. These guys are playing hard but they are young and need to learn to be more consistent is all. I think that comes with time.

TrophyCollector
11/9/2010, 10:53 PM
Thanks for informing me that the team is young, hadn't heard.

Rocko
11/9/2010, 11:00 PM
I'm sure the players realize they were a few plays away from winning both of their losses. They didn't get the message after Mizzou, but You know they won't be forgetting those 2 goal line stands in the future. I see our redzone troubles ending this season.

jmillerfan
11/9/2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks for informing me that the team is young, hadn't heard.

well in all honesty and I understand you may be poking fun but some of these guys act like they are a seasoned team and they were already NC material. I just don't see it but they deserve the credit for playing through adversity and with such a young squad. I think the coaches have done well considering. They are learning on the fly and winning while doing it.

jmillerfan
11/9/2010, 11:02 PM
I'm sure the players realize they were a few plays away from winning both of their losses. They didn't get the message after Mizzou, but You know they won't be forgetting those 2 goal line stands in the future. I see our redzone troubles ending this season.

I'd almost guarantee that statement but I'm gonna keep my mouth shut but believe me I see what you see and I know it can happen.

85sooners
11/10/2010, 12:16 AM
:eek:

caf2010
11/10/2010, 01:21 AM
I don't think so. Stoops is a big picture coach, even with the loss this past weekend, as long as they win out, they should be playing for the Big 12 championship. It will go back to a few years ago when it came down to BCS ranking to determine who would play, and if that is the case then OU, should get the nod.

MamaMia
11/10/2010, 01:22 AM
No, the wind is not out of the sails. According to Stoops during the presser, the O line won us 7 games this year.

Rocko
11/10/2010, 01:23 AM
I don't think so. Stoops is a big picture coach, even with the loss this past weekend, as long as they win out, they should be playing for the Big 12 championship. It will go back to a few years ago when it came down to BCS ranking to determine who would play, and if that is the case then OU, should get the nod.

Hard to defend that position these days, seeing as we punted the ball away in Columbia and when Stoops was asked about it he said that he wanted to preserve our standing in the polls by avoiding a lopsided lose

Collier11
11/10/2010, 01:35 AM
some of these guys act like they are a seasoned team and they were already NC material. I just don't see it

Way to jump out on a limb there...were only 9 games and 2 losses into the season

madillsoonerfan5353
11/10/2010, 08:39 AM

IF OU wins out, then they win the south. There won't be any tie. aTm has lost to at least two south teams, OU just one. So IF OU wins out they win the south. I think if we can get past Baylor, then we should be able to give oSu a glass of STFU again. Because we would have head to head wins against everyone but aTm.

:gary:

Mad Dog Madsen
11/10/2010, 10:45 AM
We will still win the Big XII.

Whet
11/10/2010, 10:55 AM
And the Pokies will spend the winter crying about their lopsided loss to the Sooners, again!

KantoSooner
11/10/2010, 10:56 AM
There's frustration with the result and there's frustration with Bob's seeming nonchalance regarding the poor results. And both are legitimate. I haven't posted much this week for fear of making an *** out of myself (I know, a short distance to travel) because I was so pissed off by what I saw.
The bottom line, though, is that we don't really have the data to make informed judgements and are going to have to wait and see what develops on the results side. Regarding Bob, that just seems to be his personality - he doesn't go balistic.
I will say that, if the last game's performance becomes a habit, either on away games or in general, there will be need for changes. Probably in coaching staff.

OUster
11/10/2010, 11:13 AM
I had to chime in on this one. It seems to amaze me that anyone would even entertain a coaching change...who could fill in and satisfy this monster, and the current sky-is-falling sentiment? Maybe Les Miles...he seems to be a genius right now because he a such great "gambler", right? I would rather drink Steins full of **** on game day instead of ever seeing that d***head walk our sidelines. Nick Saban? The state doesn't have enough oil money to pay him off. Oh yeah, and he's a prick. Urban Meyer?...I thought our decade of incarceration was the 1980's.
Bottom line is - Coach Stoops is not perfect. Our players are not perfect. Sometimes the wrong play is called because it seems right at the moment. If the fans knew better plays at the time, they wouldn't be sitting on the stands. Sometimes our players just don't execute. Hanna is solely to blame for dropping six points that landed in his hands. But, the point is, Bob and his players grow. He and his always have. If there is a Stoops bus, get me a seat. I'm in.

KantoSooner
11/10/2010, 11:49 AM
Reread the last sentence of my previous. I am not calling for anyone's immediate ouster, OUster. And I'm in fact putting faith in Bob and stating pretty clearly that neither I, nor anyone else I know of on this board has the necessary data to define precisely what is going wrong.
What is evident, however, is that there is a problem. It's management's job to solve these sorts of problems. If the problem persists, then management needs to be changed. That's all. We're not there yet, not by a long shot; but ultimately it all comes back to coaching and although I'm more than willing to allow our coaches to deal with it in their own way, in their own style, at some point they need to deal with it. And everytime we show up and play like a drunk fraternity pick-up squad, that day gets closer.

BoulderSooner79
11/10/2010, 11:59 AM
Back to the title of the thread. Does anyone think there is danger this Saturday due to a letdown? Or is it just a given that the friendly confines of the home field will focus the team for a romp over TT?

tcrb
11/10/2010, 12:18 PM
Back to the title of the thread. Does anyone think there is danger this Saturday due to a letdown? Or is it just a given that the friendly confines of the home field will focus the team for a romp over TT?

I'm not too concerned about taco tech, primarily because of OUr home domination of teams. I'm much more concerned with the game in Waco.

TrophyCollector
11/10/2010, 12:59 PM
if the last game's performance becomes a habit, either on away games or in general, there will be need for changes. Probably in coaching staff.

Exactly what further evidence are you waiting on to call our poor road performance a "habit"? I'd think that it has well past the habit stage and is at least a syndrome - on pace to become a congenital defect.

KantoSooner
11/10/2010, 01:06 PM
Exactly what further evidence are you waiting on to call our poor road performance a "habit"? I'd think that it has well past the habit stage and is at least a syndrome - on pace to become a congenital defect.

I won't go back and repeat the records ad nauseum, but things really have not been that bad. Essentially, we've lost two games this year we should not have. And last year I write off to the injuries. Year before? We were in the title game. So, I'm not ready to conduct a night of the long knives on the coaching staff.
If I were God and had all the decision making authority, I'd probably wait until mid-next season before going Old Testament on anyone. Not that I'd be happy in the meantime... (but until then I'd just settle for a light locust plague, perhaps a few earthquakes, something mature and sober).

oumartin
11/10/2010, 01:31 PM
you guys haven't been watching the same OU team I have been on the road apparently.

if OU plays the way it has on the road OSU will roll OU

Okie35
11/10/2010, 01:39 PM
you guys haven't been watching the same OU team I have been on the road apparently.

None of that matters until after Baylor. The Baylor game will really determine everything w/ the Bedlam game.

SoonerMustang
11/10/2010, 01:53 PM
I'm not too concerned about taco tech, primarily because of OUr home domination of teams. I'm much more concerned with the game in Waco.

I agree with this post as the obvious concern is every road game. We have not trouble at home and this week will be no different. However, going to Waco and Stillwater should give concern but OU should come out on top of both teams.....even if we decide to run the ball up the middle every play.

jmillerfan
11/10/2010, 02:19 PM

This team has responded pretty well after a loss this season. I say we will win out. However a QB with wheels tends to scare me a bit I think over all he'll be contained......somewhat.

We will handle Tech!!!

Cornfed
11/10/2010, 02:42 PM
Anytime I feel bad I just look at 1996 and I feel happy again.

soonerbub
11/10/2010, 03:10 PM
IF OU wins out, then they win the south. There won't be any tie. aTm has lost to at least two south teams, OU just one. So IF OU wins out they win the south. I think if we can get past Baylor, then we should be able to give oSu a glass of STFU again. Because we would have head to head wins against everyone but aTm.

:gary:

We need atm to lose a game if there is a 2 way tie head to head is the only tiebreaker--that said I'm confident it'll happen

oumartin
11/10/2010, 03:35 PM
None of that matters until after Baylor. The Baylor game will really determine everything w/ the OU-OSU game.

Wow, no kidding. Great analysis

OU_Sooners75
11/10/2010, 11:50 PM

Just 2 goal line stands?

We had the ball 4 times total inside the 10. Scored on just one of them!

We had 3 first and goals inside the the 5 yard line....Zero Points.

yes, the players should get the ball across the goal line....but the coaches also have to change the plays up once in a damn while...especially when your opponent is loading the box with 8-9 players to stuff the run up the middle!

We lost by 14. We score those three times, we win by 7 at least. we score 2 times, it definitely changes the game.

We score on the first two failed goal lines, we would have been up by 12 points. Meaning, when that fake field goal occurred, we would have most likely punt it to try to play the field position game. This resulting in a much longer drive against our defense.

Does A&M score after that? Who knows...but even if they did, OU would still be up by 5 points.

Had OU scored on the last goal line chance, they would have put the game away.

Yes, I know this is all hypothetical, but the first two missed goal line chances resulted in a fake field goal which resulted in a dropped pass.

Also, let me just make sure you know that in the first two failed goal lines, OU ran the ball up the gut with either murray or millard, 8 out of 8 plays.

on first and goal inside the 5 on the last chance, OU passed the ball, then went to three straight run up the gut.

That is plain and simple TERRIBLE play calling.

Anyway....I am no longer bitching about that...I am actually over it, just putting my two cents worth in.

OU still has plenty to play for, hopefully both our players and coaches still believe they can win and come out the rest of the season ready to kick some ***!

StoopTroup
11/11/2010, 12:01 AM
wE pLay tECh nEXt.

Leroy Lizard
11/11/2010, 12:02 AM
Also, let me just make sure you know that in the first two failed goal lines, OU ran the ball up the gut with either murray or millard, 8 out of 8 plays.

Eight out 8? Very interesting.

Anyway....I am no longer bitching about that...I am actually over it...

Yeah, it really sounds like it. :D

OU_Sooners75
11/11/2010, 12:21 AM
Eight out 8? Very interesting.

Well, if you can remember, I said 8 out of 8 plays were runs. ;)

With 7 plays inside the 5 yard line (during the first two failed attempts), none were passes.

Forgot that the 2nd failed attempt started at the 10 when the goal line chance started. Was thinking OU got a first down at the 5 on the second one. My mistake.

The first failed goal line:

1st and Goal at TA&M 4 DeMarco Murray rush for no gain to the TexAM 4. 2nd and Goal at TA&M 4TEXAS A&M penalty 2 yard Substitution Infraction accepted.
2nd and Goal at TA&M 2Timeout TEXAS A&M, clock 2:28.
2nd and Goal at TA&M 2Trey Millard rush for 1 yard to the TexAM 1.
3rd and Goal at TA&M 1DeMarco Murray rush for no gain to the TexAM 1.
4th and Goal at TA&M 1DeMarco Murray rush for no gain to the TexAM 1.

Second failed Goal Line:

1st and Goal at TA&M 10Landry Jones pass complete to Ryan Broyles for 5 yards to the TexAM 5.
2nd and Goal at TA&M 5DeMarco Murray rush for 4 yards to the TexAM 1.
3rd and Goal at TA&M 1Landry Jones rush for no gain to the TexAM 1.
4th and Goal at TA&M 1Trey Millard rush for no gain to the TexAM 1.

But the point is all the same. When inside the 5 on the 3 failed goal lines, we only tried 1 pass.

and for ****s and giggles here is the 3rd failed goal line attempt (which had the only pass when inside the 5 yard line on the three failed attempts:

1st and Goal at TA&M 4Landry Jones pass incomplete to Ryan Broyles.
2nd and Goal at TA&M 4DeMarco Murray rush for 2 yards to the TexAM 2.
3rd and Goal at TA&M 2DeMarco Murray rush for no gain to the TexAM 2.
4th and Goal at TA&M 2DeMarco Murray rush for a loss of 2 yards to the TexAM 4.

OU_Sooners75
11/11/2010, 12:22 AM
Actually letard...

if I were bitching, it would be a lot more vulgar...LOL

Trust me when I say I am not bitching about the loss anymore...but I will point out the flaws in our play calling. I will always stand behind my opinion in that matter, or any opinion I may have for that matter....

jmillerfan
11/11/2010, 02:01 AM
I think what they were hoping for on those goal line plays was something spectacular from Murray. I'm thinking in his mind(Coach Wilson) he said Murray will make this play he has in the past with some acrobatic dives normally being carried by adrenaline. My first thought though at that point was that he was pretty wore down and in the heat of battle Murray has probably made that run/dive 10:1.

That's just pointing out one set of plays there were a group of plays that led to this defeat and what I saw of it mostly was youth driven mistakes.

It's just time to regroup and bounce back. Show these young bucks how to win.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/11/2010, 07:45 AM

I don't think there will be a let down. Quite the opposite. OU will destroy Tech! This game is a chance to iron out some more wrinkles and get ready for earning a spot in the CCG on the way to a BCS Bowl.

OUmillenium
11/11/2010, 12:03 PM

Yep, the wind is out of the sails for me unless we win the next 3.