PDA

View Full Version : BCS Championship Coaches Away Games Statistics

Kadosh
11/9/2010, 01:06 PM
I read an article from Tulsa World a few days ago. The article disagrees with something Stoops said about his record for away games is just as good as any other prior BCS championship school. However, the article didn't provide any statistics proving their point. I also believed that Stoops was lying, so I wanted to confirm his theory. Below is what I put together/analyzed.

Data

Data for only coaches that have won a BCS championship at their current school - not including stats of coaches that won a BCS championship at another school e.g. Nick Saban at LSU

Away games include conference championship and bowl games

Key
Scheduled - Percentage of scheduled away games

Away - Percentage of away wins of away scheduled games

All - Percentage of away wins of all scheduled games (Scheduled x Away)

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5535/awaysched.jpg (http://img208.imageshack.us/i/awaysched.jpg/)

Quick Observations

Only two other coaches have better away winning percentages than Stoops - Texas and Florida

Only one other school has scheduled more away games - Texas

Interestingly, the SEC is commonly considered the strongest conference, but with stats of just the schools in this analysis, the Big XII is doing a better job of playing away games. Hence, more difficult schedules.

If you're up for more stats craziness - here is a year by year breakdown of the percentage of scheduled away games, and the percentage of wins at those away games.

Green font means that they won the BCS trophy that year.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/1999/yrbyyr.jpg (http://img257.imageshack.us/i/yrbyyr.jpg/)

Quick Observations

2009 was the biggest dip is winning away games for Stoops. This is most likely due to losing Bradford and a lot of veteran players. This may also confirm that lack of leadership continues from last year.

Whenever I watched an Ohio State game, I almost always got the sense they played at the Horseshoe. Seems I was right :) Must be nice not to have a CCG to coast on in to a MNC.

I was very upset with this year's losses, but putting these stats together put things in perspective. With the amount of away games Stoops has scheduled, we play a much more difficult season. The stats almost get padded against OU when majority of our games are away. It almost seems that we destroy teams in Norman because the players don't get to play there as much and put on a show for the fans.

We're doing much better than we expected this season. Go ahead to look up old posts prior to the start of the season. We just got our expectations up with early success forgetting to keep things in check. This year, we just have a young group. However, I'm not sure if Landry is providing the leadership that is needed.

There's talent in that squad and they'll get on the same page with time. Let's be happy for the achievement that the players have had so far, and hopefully we can win our remaining games. If not, we know it has been difficult and this experience will result in great rewards later.

cvsooner
11/9/2010, 01:26 PM
I'm not sure if Landry is providing the leadership that is needed.

No. I'm not sure this team has a leader. Including the coach, as sad as it makes me to say that. A stronger leader is needed, for sure...on both sides of the ball and in on the sidelines.

SOONER44EVER
11/9/2010, 01:28 PM
I'm not sure if Landry is providing the leadership that is needed.

No. I'm not sure this team has a leader. Including the coach, as sad as it makes me to say that. A stronger leader is needed, for sure...on both sides of the ball and in on the sidelines.

Sadly.................I agree.

Okie35
11/9/2010, 01:30 PM
Meyer doesn't play away games out of conference unless its still in the state of Florida. Tressel hardly plays good teams out of conference away either. So the stat would look a little better for them. Saban and Stoops are the only coaches on that list that actually play teams worth a damn out of conference.

ouengineer97
11/9/2010, 01:54 PM
Only two other coaches have better away winning percentages than Stoops - Texas and Florida
[/LIST]
[LIST]

I do not understand. It appears that Stoops has the worst Away game winning percentage. What am I missing?

SoonerPr8r
11/9/2010, 01:56 PM
I have been looking for these over all stats (and I think these are the ones Stoops has been talking about). The sports writers have been picking and choosing stats over the past week because Stoops didn't give them any and all the answers they wanted and he was kind mean about it ::pout::

I bet if you knock these stats down to terms of standard deviation among all games played then look at just home games then just away games they will all even out in the end.

The only question is would you rather have your team lose the occasional game at home or on the road?

soonersweetie
11/9/2010, 01:57 PM
When is Stoops' press conference today?

yermom
11/9/2010, 02:06 PM
i don't understand what the hell those numbers mean

can someone use small words or something?

Kadosh
11/9/2010, 02:10 PM
I do not understand. It appears that Stoops has the worst Away game winning percentage. What am I missing?

You are right, to some extent. Yes, if you look at only away games won, Stoops has the worst record. However, when you look at all the games scheduled (home and road), he has a better record because of the dominance of home games. The other coaches don't have such a solid game record at home, but we all know that :)

If you look at the year by year chart, you can see the away percentages coming down from 2005 onward (which is what the media mostly refers to). Not sure if that is when Wilson was hired, but may be due to Mike Stoops leaving for Arizona.

NorCal Sooner
11/9/2010, 02:12 PM

This might be the worst statistical analysis I have ever seen. I don't get it......

NorCal Sooner
11/9/2010, 02:13 PM
You are right, to some extent. Yes, if you look at only away games won, Stoops has the worst record. However, when you look at all the games scheduled (home and road), he has a better record because of the dominance of home games. The other coaches don't have such a solid game record at home, but we all know that :)

If you look at the year by year chart, you can see the away percentages coming down from 2005 onward (which is what the media mostly refers to). Not sure if that is when Wilson was hired, but may be due to Mike Stoops leaving for Arizona.

So the conclusion is Stoops wins at home but not on the road.

yermom
11/9/2010, 02:17 PM

i believe Wilson was the OC from the Boise game onward (last game of 06 season)

Kadosh
11/9/2010, 02:18 PM

It means that OU and Texas schedule more away games - more difficult road to the MNC.

It also shows the year by year performance of away games for these coaches to help us figure out what has changed to cause a shift in a win or loss trend. Examples:
-Jim Tressel and Les Miles don't like to play away games
-Stoops away wins have been reducing since 2005

Kadosh
11/9/2010, 02:21 PM
So the conclusion is Stoops wins at home but not on the road.

Stoops exposes OU to more losses by scheduling more away games. But yes, we aren't winning as much as we would like.

yermom
11/9/2010, 02:22 PM
i mean where do they come from? a percentage is "something" / "something else"

i can't tell what "something" and "something else" are or how they are combining them

badger
11/9/2010, 02:24 PM
I like winning at home, even if it means losing on the road to make up for it, because losses are inevitable, otherwise we'd have a much longer winning streak than 47.

NormanPride
11/9/2010, 02:29 PM
What a surprise.

Stoops in scheduled away games is .15% behind Mack, who is first. If you add in bowl and championship games, he comes in lower, and is 11% behind Urban. These stats are not terrible, and are skewed heavily by a terrible 2009 year. Can we all agree that year was freakish in its horrendousness?

oumartin
11/9/2010, 02:37 PM
so this thread sucks right?

Kadosh
11/9/2010, 02:39 PM
i mean where do they come from? a percentage is "something" / "something else"

i can't tell what "something" and "something else" are or how they are combining them

Good point. Here is data I was using for Stoops. Similar data set for the other coaches.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/5307/stoopsdata.jpg (http://img821.imageshack.us/i/stoopsdata.jpg/)

Data from CFBdatawarehouse (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/).

Like NormanPride said, 2009 was just terrible.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/9/2010, 02:40 PM
smaller and fewer words

KBoomer11
11/9/2010, 02:42 PM
Are you counting neutral field games as "away" games?

SoonerPr8r
11/9/2010, 02:43 PM
The stats are not bad they are just not tied up in a pretty infographic. In short when you play more road games you have a better chance to lose more road games. You cant win, or lose, more games than you play. If the Texas game was a home and home the stats would change a lot.

Saying "BOb caint ween on da road!!!!11!!!" is a general statement. If we come out flat against A&M in Norman and allow 9 pts within the first 2 min then yes we would have a home loss. Or last year if we had thrown 5 ints against almost anyone we played at home we would have lost.

NormanPride
11/9/2010, 03:08 PM
Small words version (big print added for no charge)

STOOPS BAD IN 2009. SEC AND BIG TELEVEN CORCHES DON'T SCHEDULE NO AWAY GAMES. STOOPS OKAY IN REGULAR SEASON, SUCK IN POST SEASON.

derp

Collier11
11/9/2010, 03:09 PM
like, alot smaller and fewer

Mad Dog Madsen
11/9/2010, 03:10 PM
What?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/9/2010, 03:10 PM
NP is horrible at taking directions...horrr...ible

Crucifax Autumn
11/9/2010, 03:14 PM
Numbers give me wood.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/9/2010, 03:15 PM
What doesn't give you wood? :D

yermom
11/9/2010, 03:21 PM
Good point. Here is data I was using for Stoops. Similar data set for the other coaches.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/5307/stoopsdata.jpg (http://img821.imageshack.us/i/stoopsdata.jpg/)

Data from CFBdatawarehouse (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/).

Like NormanPride said, 2009 was just terrible.

ok, that makes more sense.

and, ouch. i don't like where that trend points us the next few weeks :O

Okie35
11/9/2010, 03:31 PM
ok, that makes more sense.

and, ouch. i don't like where that trend points us the next few weeks :O

It means nothing.

NormanPride
11/9/2010, 03:35 PM
;_; Smaller print and smaller words:

Stoops good. Tresel bad. Meyer dork.

Collier11
11/9/2010, 03:36 PM
STEP cant see that small of writing, a little bit bigger

NormanPride
11/9/2010, 03:45 PM

stoops the eternal pimp
11/9/2010, 03:46 PM
^exactly what I was looking for..thanks!

Howzit
11/9/2010, 03:53 PM
i am a noocular physicalist, and I have taken these numbers down to a quantum level, and then played the results backward.

I have determined that Paul is a dead walrus.

Scott D
11/9/2010, 03:53 PM
step good, collier crazy, jlew gay

Collier11
11/9/2010, 03:55 PM
step good, collier crazy, jlew gay

what exactly is STEP good at, other than using his teeth too much, which IMO makes him bad at that as well

stoops the eternal pimp
11/9/2010, 03:58 PM
me and you...fight..saturday

Collier11
11/9/2010, 03:59 PM
Chicken fight, thumb wrestle, scissoring, or slap fight?

Scott D
11/9/2010, 03:59 PM
what exactly is STEP good at, other than using his teeth too much, which IMO makes him bad at that as well

Raiders > Chefs > Texans

p.s. Suck It.

Collier11
11/9/2010, 04:01 PM
texans are always fail, Raiders are only better at raping their own

Howzit
11/9/2010, 04:04 PM
:les: I SAID PAUL IS A DEAD WALRUS!!!

Scott D
11/9/2010, 04:06 PM
:les: I SAID PAUL IS A DEAD WALRUS!!!

go chew your cud like a good little calf. :gary:

Rickety_Syd
11/9/2010, 04:06 PM
What a surprise.

Stoops in scheduled away games is .15% behind Mack, who is first. If you add in bowl and championship games, he comes in lower, and is 11% behind Urban. These stats are not terrible, and are skewed heavily by a terrible 2009 year. Can we all agree that year was freakish in its horrendousness?

Ironically, 2009 was statistically one of OU's best defenses under Stoops. We gave up just 189 points. You have to go back to 2001 (169 points) for a lower total. Before that, 1993 (186 points).

The offense, because of injuries, was horrendous in '09.

Collier11
11/9/2010, 04:08 PM
Our Off directly affects our Def

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/9/2010, 04:10 PM
topdawg did a similar analysis. the anomaly isn't necessarily our road record, it is our home record. in general, we've face similar opponents on the road, played imperfect football and lost.

the problem is that we are ALWAYS ranked higher than what our talent indicates we should be. this leads to higher expectations from fans.

NormanPride
11/9/2010, 04:22 PM
Our insane home record inflates our ranking.

soonercastor
11/9/2010, 04:32 PM
I don't necessarily think we have a bad record on the road (relatively, compared to others), BUT the HUGE difference between our game at home and our game on the road. Obviously there should be a difference but ours is just alarming, that's the problem. We just gotta trust Bob and believe that he's doing everything to keep these guys as focused on the road.

MamaMia
11/9/2010, 05:20 PM
Do these stats include bowl games?

85sooners
11/9/2010, 05:43 PM
Blah

Okie35
11/9/2010, 06:09 PM
Our insane home record inflates our ranking.

While our OOC away games against good team deflate em. Don't tell that to Urban.

Okie35
11/9/2010, 06:21 PM

Don't know but all together road + neutral (including bowls) he's 53-29.

Salt City Sooner
11/9/2010, 06:28 PM
Stoops exposes OU to more losses by scheduling more away games. But yes, we aren't winning as much as we would like.

Also factoring in in this is the level of the competition. Since (& including) the game vs. USC, OU has lost 20 times away from Norman. The collective record of those opponents is 191-48, good for a 80% winning pct. In retrospect (to this point, as we don't know how Mizzou & A&M will end up this year), the only inexplicable loss during this stretch from a caliber of competition standpoint is the '07 game at CU, who finished 6-7. Only '06 Oregon (who finished 7-6 after losing their last 4 that year) is close to CU record-wise, & well, I probably don't need to go into that one.

Scott D
11/9/2010, 06:31 PM
that 06 Oregon team is the one that lost Dennis Dixon to a torn ACL in the Arizona game, right?

Okie35
11/9/2010, 06:33 PM
that 06 Oregon team is the one that lost Dennis Dixon to a torn ACL in the Arizona game, right?

No that was 07 but it was ASU when he tore it. He would've won the Heisman over Tebow if he didn't get hurt.

soonerhubs
11/9/2010, 06:43 PM
No that was 07 but it was ASU when he tore it. He would've won the Heisman over Tebow if he didn't get hurt.

AU

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/9/2010, 06:48 PM
Also factoring in in this is the level of the competition. Since (& including) the game vs. USC, OU has lost 20 times away from Norman. The collective record of those opponents is 191-48, good for a 80% winning pct. In retrospect (to this point, as we don't know how Mizzou & A&M will end up this year), the only inexplicable loss during this stretch from a caliber of competition standpoint is the '07 game at CU, who finished 6-7. Only '06 Oregon (who finished 7-6 after losing their last 4 that year) is close to CU record-wise, & well, I probably don't need to go into that one.

and that CU game was more because of punk attitude than anything else. juaquin iglesias and malcolm kelly make travis lewis look like pete rose. under stoops, i have never seen a coach pack it in like kevin sumlin did.

MI Sooner
11/9/2010, 06:58 PM
To call out Ohio St., who scheduled road games at Texas and USC in the last 5 years, for not scheduling tough road games, may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Who the hell have we played on the road OOC under Stoops? Off the top of my head, the best teams that we played on the road OOC were:

UCLA
Miami
BYU (bit of stretch to call that an away game, but whatever)

Was Oregon even bowl eligible when we lost to them? Alabama? Washington was 0-12, right? How about ND or Louisville in 99? I guess maybe Tulsa was decent decent one year when we played them in Tulsa w/ 1/2 the fans in attendance. Seriously, I must be missing something. I didn't think it would be this bad when I started going over the teams in my head, but I can only come up w/ Miami and BYU for ranked (at end-of-year) road opponents that we scheduled OOC.

um....

I'm struggling to come up with another bowl eligible team that we played on the road

MI Sooner
11/9/2010, 07:14 PM
Also, to criticize Florida for not playing a road game outside of Florida is just about the most tendentious way possible of saying they've played true road games at Florida St. and Miami. Miami was our second toughest road opponent of the Stoops era, and that was in a year when they wouldn't have been ranked had we pulled out the win. Next year, we'll undoubtedly hang our "tough schedule" hat on playing @FSU. Granted, traveling far from home is some of what makes road games difficult, but do you think Florida would really be beefing up its schedule by switching Miami or FSU for roadies to Cinci and Air Force?

I mean, can you believe how easy Tulsa's road schedule is? They only travel 100 miles to play road games in Norman!

Kadosh
11/9/2010, 07:16 PM

Yes. And neutral field count as away games.

MI Sooner
11/9/2010, 07:16 PM
and that CU game was more because of punk attitude than anything else. juaquin iglesias and malcolm kelly make travis lewis look like pete rose. under stoops, i have never seen a coach pack it in like kevin sumlin did.

To complete my triple-post, I'd just like to acknowledge that this is a pretty good defense of/explanation for our away game woes.

Okie35
11/9/2010, 07:24 PM
AU

AU was when he aggravated it, it was already mildly torn acl and he had a brace. He shouldn't have even played in the first place. He actually tore it during the ASU game. I mean but yea they lost Dixon for the year during the Arizona game so its pretty much the same.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/9/2010, 07:39 PM
Who the hell have we played on the road OOC under Stoops? Off the top of my head, the best teams that we played on the road OOC were:

FSU, LSU, USC, Florida (all national championship teams)

boise state, wazzou, etc all top 10 teams

this counts bowl games which is why tressell is as bad as stoops.

soonercastor
11/9/2010, 07:49 PM
FSU, LSU, USC, Florida (all national championship teams)

boise state, wazzou, etc all top 10 teams

this counts bowl games which is why tressell is as bad as stoops.

I don't think you get his point...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/9/2010, 07:58 PM
I don't think you get his point...

i get his point, but he's making it sound like we scheduled those teams when they were weak. when we scheduled washington they were #3 in the nation

Okie35
11/9/2010, 08:02 PM
To call out Ohio St., who scheduled road games at Texas and USC in the last 5 years, for not scheduling tough road games, may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

UCLA
Miami
BYU (bit of stretch to call that an away game, but whatever)

Was Oregon even bowl eligible when we lost to them? Alabama? Washington was 0-12, right? How about ND or Louisville in 99? I guess maybe Tulsa was decent decent one year when we played them in Tulsa w/ 1/2 the fans in attendance. Seriously, I must be missing something. I didn't think it would be this bad when I started going over the teams in my head, but I can only come up w/ Miami and BYU for ranked (at end-of-year) road opponents that we scheduled OOC.

um....

I'm struggling to come up with another bowl eligible team that we played on the road

Yea they were but the fact is at least they're scheduled. We still schedule bigger programs and not cupcakes especially near the end of the season. All schedules are ahead of time and maybe when Bama signed up to play they were good. Same goes for ND and Louisville.

Okie35
11/9/2010, 08:03 PM
i get his point, but he's making it sound like we scheduled those teams when they were weak. when we scheduled washington they were #3 in the nation

Exactly what I just said too.

soonercastor
11/9/2010, 08:14 PM

That's why he brought out to contrast that initial statement, in comparison to tOSU. Pay 'tention!

MI Sooner
11/9/2010, 09:57 PM
I understand that some of the opponents we've scheduled haven't ended up being as good as one would have thought, Washington and Alabama in particular. I don't know exactly when we scheduled all the games, but in 12 years under Stoops the name schools we've scheduled road games with were were ND, Washington, Oregon, UCLA, Alabama, and Miami. We scheduled a friendly neutral w/ BYU. That's not bad, but it's not tremendously difficult either. UCLA was probably the only team that was better than they had been, on average, when we scheduled them. Washington was much worse. ND, depends on when they were scheduled. Oregon and Miami, probably a little worse, and Bama, more than a little.

I wasn't so much being critical of our schedule, which has been respectible (although somewhat due to TCU, Cincinnati, and Tulsa being better than anyone imagined when we scheduled them, so it rubs both ways). I was responding to a commenter who said Ohio St. didn't schedule tough road games, and that Florida deserved a rebuke for not playing road games outside Florida.