PDA

View Full Version : Bubble screens

soonerfan69
11/9/2010, 11:00 AM
It's about time to stop with the bubble screens every other play, don't you agree? The Aggies were sitting on this play and jumping it with success and I think other teams will start to do the same. It's time to start throwing the ball downfield more with some playaction passes and throw in some screens and such. I just think they are using the bubble screens way too much

Thoughts

85sooners
11/9/2010, 11:01 AM
:eek:

yermom
11/9/2010, 11:02 AM
i wouldn't have minded seeing one at the goal line on Saturday

when they know/think it's coming, if we ran a draw or something, it might be nice...

Mad Dog Madsen
11/9/2010, 11:03 AM
Wouldn't this be considered a Kevin Wilson thread? :D

stoops the eternal pimp
14 out of 18 for 32 yards on bubble screens and swing passes against atm...

last week when people mentioned it, everybody said don't complain its working...well...

soonerfan69
i wouldn't have minded seeing one at the goal line on Saturday

when they know/think it's coming, if we ran a draw or something, it might be nice...

No doubt, Landry telegraphs the play so bad you can see it coming a mile away

stoops the eternal pimp
11/9/2010, 11:04 AM
well its really hard not to telegraph a bubble screen since it is such a quick play..not like he can fake all these reads and then throw it

soonerfan69
11/9/2010, 11:05 AM
14 out of 18 for 32 yards on bubble screens and swing passes against atm...

last week when people mentioned it, everybody said don't complain its working...well...

Exactly it's a nice play when used at times but not every damn play

agoo758
11/9/2010, 11:05 AM
Wouldn't this be considered a Kevin Wilson thread? :D

We'll find out soon won't we? ;)

soonerfan69
11/9/2010, 11:07 AM
well its really hard not to telegraph a bubble screen since it is such a quick play..not like he can fake all these reads and then throw it

That's true I'd like to see them use the 10-15 yd passes more with some crossing patterns and post routes

Soonerwake
11/9/2010, 11:15 AM
The unending use of screens tells me there is a lack of confidence in one of three positions:

1. Oline - trying to stretch the defense and keep the rushers off-guard because we can't sustain blocks long enough.
2. Receivers - inability to get open consistently downfield.
3. QB - isn't getting through his reads, finding the right read.

SoonerAtKU
11/9/2010, 11:20 AM
I'd appreciate it more if there were more misdirection off of it, like a fake to the screen and then hitch and go behind the corner/safety responsible. Hell, can't you have the outside WR fake the block-down and then run a slant into space?

I feel like that's the equivalent in this offense of the more normal screen or draw, you allow the defender to feel like he's beaten you, when you are actually creating space and positioning.

That's faking 2 levels deep, ya'll. Inception-style.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/9/2010, 11:21 AM
The unending use of screens tells me there is a lack of confidence in one of three positions:

1. Oline - trying to stretch the defense and keep the rushers off-guard because we can't sustain blocks long enough.

OUmillenium
11/9/2010, 11:22 AM
Why just one of three? I think it is for sure 2 of 3...
1. Oline
2. QB - great arm, can't trust him beyond first option of a play/read

Sooner J
11/9/2010, 11:26 AM
The over throw to Kenny was exactly what you mentioned.

I'd appreciate it more if there were more misdirection off of it, like a fake to the screen and then hitch and go behind the corner/safety responsible. Hell, can't you have the outside WR fake the block-down and then run a slant into space?

I feel like that's the equivalent in this offense of the more normal screen or draw, you allow the defender to feel like he's beaten you, when you are actually creating space and positioning.

That's faking 2 levels deep, ya'll. Inception-style.

soonerfan69
11/9/2010, 11:31 AM
The over throw to Kenny was exactly what you mentioned.

Exactly and how wide open was he? I think we have some very good WR's and we're just not using the right plays for them

SoonerAtKU
11/9/2010, 11:31 AM
Indeed it was. And maybe that's the issue is forcing it with a QB that gets saucer eyes on some deep throws. That's not a knock on him, either, lots of good players have trouble with something that is supposed to be automatic. Free throws in the NBA, open nets in the NHL, that stuff.

But also, I feel like it clearly needs more reps to be effective, to make those throws as second-nature as the screens and flares have become. Landry is lights-out on the touch and placement of those throws because he makes 30 of them a game. I'd sacrifice the practice time and give up a completion or two there if it gained Jones the confidence to make a throw when you have someone running free on a post or fade.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/9/2010, 11:37 AM
It's about time to stop with the bubble screens every other play, don't you agree? The Aggies were sitting on this play and jumping it with success and I think other teams will start to do the same. It's time to start throwing the ball downfield more with some playaction passes and throw in some screens and such. I just think they are using the bubble screens way too much

Thoughts

some of the bubble screens were an experiment - 3 of them were to finch.
some of the bubble screens were perfect play calls during blitzes but the passes got batted down
some of the bubble screens were to broyles (who like it or not is only at 80% and its basically the only way we can get his reception count above 6)

at this point, we have 1 downfield threat with broyles not at full speed -> trey franks. well, we actually have 2 but landry just doesn't seem to be able to throw the ball accurately to stills on the road.

Soonerwake
11/9/2010, 12:06 PM
Next year's WR corp could be really exciting, especially if Broyles stays. I love seeing the emergence of Trey Franks.

cvsooner
11/9/2010, 01:29 PM
He also overthrew a very open Ratteree if I recall correctly. You can't make all the throws...even if there's not a defense and I thought A & M was playing pretty good defense. Better than I expected based on what I had seen.

Sooner Brewcrew
11/9/2010, 01:56 PM
I'm really sruprised we've been able to run them sucessfully for this long. aTm really did their homework against it. seems like we just kind of threw our hands up when those plays stopped working.

BoulderSooner79
11/9/2010, 02:10 PM
Bubble screens are like any other play - if it's working, keep doing it until they stop it. Getting 32 yards on 18 attempts means it wasn't working. But to stop it, the defense must be crowding the receivers and it must be opening up something else - if it's not, then they must be better than us.

I do think having Trey Franks out there instead of Kenney really hurts that play. Franks whiffed on his block a few times it was run to his side and combined with Broyles being 80%, the play had no chance. But Franks is clearly a better pure receiver than Kenney, so the strategy has to change with the players on the field.

TUSooner
11/9/2010, 02:11 PM

yep, esp 1 & 2

stoops the eternal pimp
11/10/2010, 09:21 AM
heard something interesting yesterday...kevin wilson said that on every bubble screen pass, landry has the option of changing it to a running play...

Soonerwake
11/10/2010, 11:04 AM
I heard that too. So, he can hand it off or throw the bubble screen??

As far as I could tell, A&M was defending both pretty well, so I don't think it would have helped much.

But, we have gotten alot of mileage out of them this year.. That's for sure..

SoonerPr8r
11/10/2010, 11:25 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20101110_92_B5_CUTLIN46915

Bubble burst: The nearly-sideways bubble pass to wide receivers has been the most consistent staple of OU's offense this season. Saturday, however, A&M gobbled the play up constantly.

"Some of it's execution," Stoops said.

Meaning, receivers who are supposed to block on those bubble screens basically didn't block. Two of OU's first three bubbles lost yardage for that reason. But that wasn't the only problem Saturday night.

"Sometimes you wish he'd have handed it off," Stoops said of Jones. "Sometimes there's a decision made there, and you wish he'd have done something different."

Stoops said the bubble is essentially a run in OU's playbook. Jones has the option of calling a handoff instead, depending on the alignment of the defense.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20101110_92_B5_CUTLIN46915

delhalew
11/10/2010, 11:47 AM
If you've heard any Aggie breakdown this week, they were shocked and delighted that we refused to get away from the bubble screen, despite the fact that they focused on it. Coach Sherman noted during our third quarter romp, we went more with more straight forward hat on a hat.

BoulderSooner79
11/10/2010, 11:52 AM
^This. Trey Franks is not the blocker that Kenney is, but a much better receiver. But aTm was all over the run too, so I'm not sure how much better using that option would have worked. If we were trying to "take what the defense give you", and they were not giving anything, then the better team won. The optimist in me says there was something available and we didn't leverage that well enough.

EDIT: I was referring to the Stoop quote on screen/run option.