PDA

View Full Version : Know Their Quarterback: Taylor Potts

stoops the eternal pimp
11/9/2010, 10:32 AM
6'5
Senior

Going back through the list of PnP quarterbacks that Leach produced over his career at TT, Potts may be the most highly raw skilled of the bunch. I have no reservations in saying that Potts has the strongest arm of any of the group. Potts won the Peyton Manning Camp Air It Out Challenge this summer over a decent group of quarterbacks. He has a pretty good control of the offense(better than Sheffield) and can call his own audibles fairly well. Taylor squares his shoulders typically(read below) and is an accurate thrower down the field with good footwork at times. Not fast by any means(slower than Sheffield), but can move enough to escape and still does a good job of getting the ball down field. Potts can dink and dunk all game long but throws a nice deep out and hits most of the seam routes.

Weaknesses? You can forget everything I just wrote if he gets pressure. As a senior quarterback, the mental aspect of the game is not where it should be. At the quarterback position, a player can grow and mature in the physical parts of the game but never get over the mental blocks. Bomar was one of those kinds of players. I mentioned it on here his sophmore year, but myself along with some other NFL guys thought that he had reached his ceiling by then and he wouldn't improve much if any after that..And I would have to say we was right. Potts is another one of those guys.

Potts throws off of his back foot more than about any quarterback I've seen. His release is odd, pretty much still throwing it the way he did out of high school. It's not a slow release, but it could be a lot quicker without the big wind up. Sometimes, Potts will drop his release point. He forgets all of his mechanics if he feels pressure from the defense. TP tries to make too many throws across his body, and throws from some awkard body positions. With all of his arm strength, he negates it often by not stepping into his passes. Of all the natural skills he has, the mental side of his game is why he was benched early in the last game and the reason there was even a quarterback battle to begin with against Sheffield.

What to expect? Last week against Mizzou, TT ran the ball 51 times...5-1 times...Early on TT tried to stay with the throwing the ball a bagillion times a game but Tuberville wants to run the football. Expect a steady dose of Baron Batch with Potts trying to take advantage of the linebackers much the way Mizzou did.

Since this game is at home, expect the home version of the linebackers to show up and handle their responsibilities...I could see Hurst or FLeming being able to step in front of one of Potts' back foot throws and picking it off.. J Nelson should have a big game as well.

NormanPride
11/9/2010, 10:37 AM
So we're going to lose?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/9/2010, 10:39 AM
Where are we playing?