PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning...Kristallnacht

Okla-homey
11/9/2010, 07:55 AM
November 9, 1938: Kristallnacht

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/kristallnacht_NYT.gif

72 years ago, on this day in 1938, in an event that would foreshadow the Holocaust, German Nazis launch a campaign of terror against Jewish people and their homes and businesses in Germany and Austria.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/kristallnacht_1012994c.jpg

The violence, which continued through November 10 and was later dubbed "Kristallnacht," or "Night of Broken Glass," after the countless smashed windows of Jewish-owned establishments, left approximately 100 Jews dead, 7,500 Jewish businesses damaged and hundreds of synagogues, homes, schools and graveyards vandalized.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/kristallnachtstoreberlin2.jpg

An estimated 30,000 Jewish men were arrested, many of whom were then sent to concentration camps for several months; they were released when they promised to leave Germany. Kristallnacht represented a dramatic escalation of the campaign started by Adolf Hitler in 1933 when he became chancellor to purge Germany of its Jewish population.

The Nazis used the murder of a low-level German diplomat, Ernst vom Rath, in Paris by a 17-year-old Polish Jew as an excuse to carry out the Kristallnacht attacks. Following vom Rath's death, Nazi propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels ordered German storm troopers to carry out violent riots disguised as "spontaneous demonstrations" against Jewish citizens. Local police and fire departments were told not to interfere. In the face of all the devastation, some Jews, including entire families, committed suicide.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/krista4315.jpg

In the aftermath of Kristallnacht, the Nazis blamed the Jews and fined them 1 billion marks (or $400 million in 1938 dollars) for vom Rath's death. As repayment, the government seized Jewish property and kept insurance money owed to Jewish people. In its quest to create a master Aryan race, the Nazi government enacted further discriminatory policies that essentially excluded Jews from all aspects of public life.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/ktistsynhechigen_kristallnacht.jpg

Over 100,000 Jews fled Germany for other countries after Kristallnacht. The international community was outraged by the violent events of November 9 and 10. Some countries broke off diplomatic relations in protest, but the Nazis suffered no serious consequences, leading them to believe they could get away with the mass murder that was the Holocaust, in which an estimated 6 million European Jews died.

swardboy
11/9/2010, 08:39 AM
Harnessing...all my powers.....not to....speak of horror of..............

....waterboarding.......

TUSooner
11/9/2010, 08:57 AM
Harnessing...all my powers.....not to....speak of horror of..............

....waterboarding.......

Harnessing...all my powers.....to understand.... the relevance of your post. FAIL.

swardboy
11/9/2010, 09:05 AM
Those who have ears to hear....

On the serious side, how can there be a nation of Israel after all of history's attempts to displace, eradicate, "cleanse" the Jews? Amazing.

And on another note, it is flubbergasting to what lengths the muslims are taking to dig up and eradicate all ancient Jewish artifacts around the temple mount.

picasso
11/9/2010, 10:24 AM
Big display about this night at the Holocaust Museum in DC.

Thanks Homey.

C&CDean
11/9/2010, 10:33 AM
Big display about this night at the Holocaust Museum in DC.

Thanks Homey.

That place is a sobering "must-see" for anyone going to DC.

caseysooner
11/9/2010, 01:22 PM
Parts of the museum are really sad, and hard to go through

TUSooner
11/9/2010, 02:01 PM
Sadly, I can see how it all could happen. Despite my typical rambling rant about narrow minds in another thread, there have been times when I have been so angry at the islamic radicals that I might have been persuaded to toss a brick through the window of any Arab restaurant or store just out of misdirected spite. If enough people buy into a carefully packaged load of hell, very bad stuff can happen anywhere.

stoopified
11/9/2010, 10:51 PM
Being of Jewish heritage I am so glad my family had relocated to the good ole USA by the 1880's.

landrun
11/9/2010, 11:08 PM
Sadly,... If enough people buy into a carefully packaged load of hell, very bad stuff can happen anywhere.

There is a lot of truth in that statement for us all to heed.
Everyone, on both the left and the right.

C&CDean
11/10/2010, 10:37 AM
Sadly, I can see how it all could happen. Despite my typical rambling rant about narrow minds in another thread, there have been times when I have been so angry at the islamic radicals that I might have been persuaded to toss a brick through the window of any Arab restaurant or store just out of misdirected spite. If enough people buy into a carefully packaged load of hell, very bad stuff can happen anywhere.

I hear what you're saying K, but seriously, bananas and pomegranites.

Hitler was carefully packaging a load of hell against innocent people. You throwing a brick through some Arabs window because an Arab killed yet MORE innocent people is not the same thing. At all. The Jews weren't killing people in the name of God. They were being successful in business.

NormanPride
11/10/2010, 10:50 AM
Now, if we started going after bankers...

saucysoonergal
11/10/2010, 10:51 AM
Or postmen. ;)