PDA

View Full Version : The Best That Never Was- Marcus Dupree

Pages : [1] 2

Sooner70
11/9/2010, 07:21 AM
Sorry if this has already been posted.

ESPN 30 for 30 is doing a special "The Best that Never Was" about the recruiting of Marcus Dupree.

tonight Nov 9-ESPN 7:00 pm central time
Thurs Nov 11-ESPN2 10:30 pm CST
Sun 11/28-ESPN-8 pm CST
Sat Dec 25-7:00 am CST ESPN 2
Sat Dec 25-6:00 pm CST ESPN Classic

Hope it's balanced and doesn't turn into just OU-Barry bashing, but we'll see.

http://30for30.espn.com/file/the-best-that-never-was.html

Sooner70
11/9/2010, 07:22 AM
Wups.....here's the correct link:

http://30for30.espn.com/file/the-best-that-never-was.html

Sooner70
11/9/2010, 07:24 AM
Well, dangit. I never was good at posting those link things. Tell you what...go to ESPN and it'll tell you. Or www.ask.com and key in "Marcus Dupree".

bringit
11/9/2010, 07:30 AM
I'll be watching. Run Marcus Run

RacerX
11/9/2010, 07:35 AM
Watch Marcus Run, Watch Marcus Quit.

cleller
11/9/2010, 08:24 AM
For us no-satellite, no-cable cheapos it may be possible to see it live via
Channelsurfing.net.

http://channelsurfing.net/watch-espn.html

No promises, but this usually works for me.

I had a class with Marcus Dupree in Dale Hall. He didn't show up much. Quiet, nobody bugged him.

MyT Oklahoma
11/9/2010, 01:19 PM
Interesting read. If Marcus has made peace with Switzer, his teammates and himself, that's good enough for me.

He truly was one remarkable running back.

Marcus Dupree: The best that never was

After a remarkable freshman season in 1982, the Heisman Trophy seemed to be Marcus Dupree's for the taking. But, after a loss to Texas the following season, Dupree flew home to Mississippi and never returned.

By Jake Trotter, Staff Writer, [email protected] Oklahoman

Published: November 8, 2010

On June 20, 1983, Oklahoma running back Marcus Dupree appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Former OU running back Marcus Depree is the subject of tonight's ESPN 30 for 30 premier of "The Best That Never Was."

After a remarkable freshman season, the Heisman Trophy seemed to be Dupree's for the taking. And behind Dupree, Barry Switzer's Sooners were primed to bring home another national championship.

But the headline of that SI article, 'Marcus Dupree: Can he coexist with his coach?' proved to be a harbinger of what was to come.

After a loss to Texas dropped the Sooners to 3-2, a woozy Dupree flew home to Mississippi.

And never came back.

In tonight's ESPN 30 for 30 premier of "The Best That Never Was," eight-time Emmy award-winning filmmaker Jonathan Hock chronicles the life of Dupree, which opens with Dupree doing what he does now for a living — driving a truck in Gulfport, Miss.

"Marcus, in my lifetime, was the most electrifying football player I'd ever seen, and I'm not alone when I say that," Hock told The Oklahoman. "Watching him carry the ball was unlike watching anyone else. For that greatness to just vanish, to just disappear, I couldn't leave it alone. It's been something of an obsession for me, to find out what happened, why it all went wrong.

"When ESPN asked me to do a film, and that I could do whatever I wanted, there was no question, I wanted to tell story of Marcus Dupree."

First, Hock had to find Dupree. Which proved to be no easy task.

No one in Dupree's hometown of Philadelphia, Miss., could tell Hock where Dupree was. Neither could anyone in Oklahoma.

After six months of searching, Hock was about to give up when — with the help of a private investigator — he finally located Dupree.

"When (Hock) came to me, I was like, 'Whoa, really?'" Dupree told The Oklahoman. "I was thrilled about it. Honored, as a matter of fact. We sat down and talked about it. He told me he wanted to put my life on film, and I said let's go for it."

The film is both sad and tragic. But also about finding contentment and making peace with the past.

Said Hock: "The story is so amazing in so many ways."

The film begins in Philadelphia, a town made infamous by the 1964 slaying of three civil rights workers, later inspiring the 1988 movie "Mississippi Burning."

Dupree, born just weeks after the slayings, helped repair some of the racial divide in Philadelphia with his amazing ability on the football field.

"Black and white were sitting together in the stands," Dupree said. "That was a special time."

Perhaps the most compelling interview subject in the film is Cecil Price Jr., a high school teammate and friend of Dupree's, who reflects about his father, the late Cecil R. Price, who as the deputy sheriff arrested the civil rights workers and was eventually found guilty of placing them into the hands of their killers.

But the majority of the film explores Dupree's incredible talent, his national recruitment to OU and his eventual exodus from Norman.

For those that never saw Dupree play in high school, Hock was able to track down 16 millimeter black-and-white footage of Dupree playing at Philadelphia High, showing why every school from UCLA to Southern Miss badly wanted Dupree. His recruitment was so intense, author Willie Morris detailed it in the book, "The Courting of Marcus Dupree."

In the film, former OU assistant Lucious Selmon and ex-Texas coach Fred Akers open up about the circus surrounding Dupree's recruitment, and how the Sooners ultimately prevailed in signing him.

But the film takes a sudden melancholy turn, detailing the events that eventually led to Dupree's departure from Norman. Including the involvement of Southern Miss booster and pastor Ken Fairley, who, after Dupree spurned Southern Miss for OU, wanted him to leave school for the pros, and later became Dupree's agent.

"People at OU are going to have pretty clear sense for themselves who they think is the good guy, and who they think is the bad guy," Hock said. "They don't need help from me."

In the film, Fairley claims Dupree told him he never wanted to go to OU in the first place. And he accuses the Sooners of giving Dupree's mom a double-wide trailer.

"None of that was true," countered Dupree, who in the film suggests Fairley as his agent later stole money from him, then got him involved in several law suits. "His whole interview was basically a lie."

Perhaps the most memorable line in the film comes from Switzer, who calls his tough handling of Dupree his greatest coaching regret.

"That made me happy, but also sad," said Dupree, who visits Oklahoma often, even attending last year's Bedlam game in Norman. "I love Coach Switzer to death. It was a lack of communication. I wish he had pulled me to the side and told me his thinking, that he didn't want to show favoritism. We wouldn't be talking about this right now.

"I'm still an Oklahoma guy. I wish I had stayed those last three years and won three national championships. It's the only thing I regret not doing.

"I should have listened to my mom."

http://www.newsok.com/marcus-dupree-the-best-that-never-was/article/3512687?custom_click=headlines_widget

Galen Hall, OU offensive coordinator, 1982-83:

“What a physically talented young man he was. The first time you saw him, you couldn't believe how he could run as fast as he could and catch the ball. Just a superior athlete for his size. It was a career that was shortened for various reasons and various people.”

Merv Johnson, OU assistant head coach and offensive line coach, 1982-83:

“The influence he (was under) from where he grew up kept pushing him to go pro. I think that had a lot to do with what happened. Coach Switzer's criticism of his conditioning in the (Fiesta) bowl game probably gave that guy (Kenneth Farley) ammunition and fuel to go ahead and finish the job. He might have won a couple of Heisman Trophies. There's never been many like him.”

Bobby Proctor, OU defensive backs coach, 1982-83:

“The first day he showed up here, Switzer let me take all the freshmen and do drills. He came up, left that defensive back sitting on his butt. Then he went over to defensive back, and he stuck us up in the nose. At Colorado, I asked Switzer, let me put him in on punt returns. He said ‘nah.' I said, ‘Come on, coach.' First play, he takes a punt back 77 yards.”

Mike Jones, OU receivers coach, 1982-83:

“The athletic ability he possessed, with his speed and soft hands and agility, was amazing. He returned punts, he could play receiver and running back, tight end. About any place you wanted him to play. The pressure from home was more than that kid could handle. Marcus was a great kid. He was fun to be around. He was never a problem. He practiced with a smile on his face. He had some character about him.”

bringit
11/9/2010, 07:28 PM
coming soon

caseysooner
11/9/2010, 07:44 PM
Sounds depressing

soonerbub
11/9/2010, 08:16 PM
Turn this on now if you're not watchin

soonercastor
11/9/2010, 08:17 PM
Turn this on now if you're not watchin

crazy, huh?

soonercastor
11/9/2010, 08:24 PM
man this is bringing tears, talking about his bro.

soonercastor
11/9/2010, 08:38 PM
now this pastor is pissing me off

Tigeman
11/9/2010, 08:38 PM
This is going in a bad direction real real fast! Lots of OU hate, and * Butthurt!

soonerbub
11/9/2010, 08:39 PM
he loved some BOOMER Q

Soonerite
11/9/2010, 08:40 PM
Is this like the official game thread?

olevetonahill
11/9/2010, 08:41 PM
Some sour grapes from Saxet an S M

soonerbub
the King's castle

soonercastor
Hell Yeah coach Switzer!

tommieharris91
11/9/2010, 08:44 PM
James Hale is ugly.

soonerbub
11/9/2010, 08:52 PM
My first OU game against Mizzou in person

Soonerite
11/9/2010, 08:53 PM
I want even alive when this guy played but this is making me wish I was.

olevetonahill
11/9/2010, 08:54 PM
Its really sad that the Folks back home wouldnt leave him alone instead of Pumping him full of the entitlement carp :(

tommieharris91
11/9/2010, 08:55 PM
Watching him is like Barry Sanders, Walter Peyton, and Adrian Peterson all in one. Dayum that was an amazing highlight reel.

Tigeman
Ughhhh, Phuck that damn reverend! He's like the ****** bag X boyfriend that can't let go. The one that finds a way to run into your girl when your not around and tries whispering crap in their ear.

olevetonahill
My first OU game against Mizzou

Heh, That was My last Saxet game, Ive got to try to make another one. That Run fer the TD was allsome

swardboy
11/9/2010, 08:56 PM
So, OU was doing it right and NOT paying MD? Heh.

And that "pastor" needs to be bitch slapped

Along with Uncle curly and mama

soonercastor
11/9/2010, 08:56 PM
Ughhhh, Phuck that damn reverend! He's like the ****** bag X boyfriend that can't let go. The one that finds a way to run into your girl when your not around and tries whispering crap in their ear.

this

olevetonahill
11/9/2010, 08:57 PM

Yup, It hurt us for a Little while, It Hurt Marcus for the rest of his life

soonercastor
11/9/2010, 08:58 PM
68 yards/gm rush D :eek:

SoonerLVZ
11/9/2010, 08:59 PM
Watching him run in insane. It doesn't even look like his running full speed.

soonerbub
11/9/2010, 08:59 PM
Another home field bowl loss
guarantee we lead the nation in that

soonerbub
11/9/2010, 09:02 PM
the King said in the article that was his biggest regret :(
the D did give up 32

Tigeman
11/9/2010, 09:05 PM
Rev. Ken Fairley = Kenny Rogers

Way to cost this kid his dream and career you greedy SOB!

soonerbub
11/9/2010, 09:07 PM
That was the best texass team until Vince

tommieharris91
11/9/2010, 09:19 PM
I think, with what medicine knows about concussions now, Marcus Dupree would have had at least 3 years at OU if he played today. That hit in the texas game changed his entire life.

swardboy
11/9/2010, 09:20 PM
Man, Fairley was the sleaziest bag of all time....working for the USFL...using Southern Miss as a cover

Tigeman
11/9/2010, 09:23 PM
Man It kind of seemed like Switzer REALLY felt like the way he treated the kid caused some of the problems, and kind of ruined his life.

Don't worry Barry, that's all on Ken Fairley! What a dirty scumbag!

SouthCarolinaSooner
11/9/2010, 09:25 PM
Tragic misjudgments on both sides...mainly Dupree's "side"

soonercastor
11/9/2010, 09:25 PM
wow, gave his whole paycheck to Fairley.

Rocko
11/9/2010, 09:26 PM
This is depressing.

Whet
11/9/2010, 09:27 PM
Fairley should be in prison.

soonerbub
11/9/2010, 09:28 PM
How does the rev sleep at night

swardboy
11/9/2010, 09:32 PM
Ugly sight when the knee went. Don't guess you can blame his conditioning for the injury. In fact he looked kind of trim in those practice field pictures before his 2nd USFL season.

soonercastor
11/9/2010, 09:33 PM
pretty messed up

soonerbub
11/9/2010, 09:35 PM
Hope they show him w the rams

soonerbub
11/9/2010, 09:37 PM
Jamelle would not have shined if Marcus stayed

Scott D
11/9/2010, 09:45 PM
why am I kind of amused at seeing Chuck Long and Marcus Dupree on the field together on the same team.

swardboy
11/9/2010, 09:48 PM
Oh, it was that Long.

salth2o
11/9/2010, 09:49 PM
This is depressing.

Agreed.

Okie35
11/9/2010, 09:50 PM
It may be depressing but its really good.

Scott D
11/9/2010, 09:51 PM
Oh, it was that Long.

indeed, in his only year with the Rams no less.

landrun
11/9/2010, 09:55 PM
Wow... this is getting more and more sad the longer it goes... :(

Mr. Poon
11/9/2010, 09:56 PM
This is killing me...

soonercastor
11/9/2010, 09:56 PM
damn

Tigeman
11/9/2010, 09:58 PM
If he hadn't brought himself back for that year w/ the Rams, this story would be totally crushing. But he seemed content, so good for him!

landrun
11/9/2010, 09:58 PM
Thinking about that sleazy preacher stealing money from his family is infuriating. People like that should be in prison. Unreal how some people have no conscience.

soonercastor
11/9/2010, 09:59 PM
Great show, one of the best "30 for 30" so far

Breadburner
11/9/2010, 10:00 PM
Very well done.....Glad he is doing well.....

swardboy
11/9/2010, 10:01 PM
Young athletes, I have one word for you....COMMITMENT.

Scott D
Thinking about that sleazy preacher stealing money from his family is infuriating. People like that should be in prison. Unreal how some people have no conscience.

you could probably take it further than that.

he's a strong influence in why Marcus didn't return to OU despite Marcus taking the blame all to himself on that..the man was in Marcus' ear the entire time he was at OU. What I'm more curious about is whether or not this 30 for 30 will actually change the position that the "anti-Dupree" crowd has.

deweydw
If it hadn't been for that so called reverend... But he did say they sued him. Wonder if they got anything out of him.

Dio
My first OU game against Mizzou in person

Same here

royalfan5
11/9/2010, 10:03 PM
That was hell of a show. I'd really like to read the book about his recruitment.

swardboy
11/9/2010, 10:04 PM
It sure helped my view of Marcus to hear him actually say "I should have returned to OU." Almost wish he could return to Owen Field for some kind of recognition...farfetched I know.

SoonerDomiNation
11/9/2010, 10:05 PM
Wow just WOW. I remember watching him play and i had forgotten just how damn good he was. These are the kind of stories that just break my heart. A kid with that much talent and a weasel like the rev.

olevetonahill
11/9/2010, 10:05 PM
Wow, I watched the News when all the Recruiting was going on with him, I watched his 1st year and the few games of his 2nd . Then he went Home and the rumors flew.

I knew Most of what this show revealed. But I dint have it in the right context.

Im glad I watched because it gave me insight and the ability to str8en out the things i had wrong .

Marcus was and is a great Person . he was just a Kid that was taken advantage of by a very unscrupulous preacher that he trusted.

I hope hope his life is fulfilled.

Now didnt he have a son that was a Phenom a few years ago?
Also wondering if he got some Bucks for this Show. ?

deweydw
11/9/2010, 10:06 PM
It sure helped my view of Marcus to hear him actually say "I should have returned to OU." Almost wish he could return to Owen Field for some kind of recognition...farfetched I know.

He would probably get a standing O after this show.

soonercastor
11/9/2010, 10:07 PM
Wow, I watched the News when all the Recruiting was going on with him, I watched his 1st year and the few games of his 2nd . Then he went Home and the rumors flew.

I knew Most of what this show revealed. But I dint have it in the right context.

Im glad I watched because it gave me insight and the ability to str8en out the things i had wrong .

Marcus was and is a great Person . he was just a Kid that was taken advantage of by a very unscrupulous preacher that he trusted.

Holy sheet! No way you typed this! :P :D

tulsaoilerfan
11/9/2010, 10:10 PM
Truly a tragic story and if u read Switzer's book u kinda already knew about how sleazy the preacher was

olevetonahill
11/9/2010, 10:11 PM
Holy sheet! No way you typed this! :P :D

Contrary to popular belief I am not a total idiot ;)

olevetonahill
11/9/2010, 10:13 PM

Wonder could we pay him to come and Talk to the young players ?

swardboy
He did look good in the Rams uniform.

Scott D

from a Bama message board about Marquez Dupree

The reason Marquez did not stay or play was because he blew his knee apart during the 1st week of Fall camp . It was a major career threatening blow out . He didn't have a step to lose to begin with so , he left deciding to try to rehab and play at a JUCO or small college which never happened .

Rocker
11/9/2010, 10:15 PM
After watching this its easy to understand why the NCAA doesn't want agents around.

swardboy
11/9/2010, 10:15 PM
Wonder could we pay him to come and Talk to the young players ?

That would be so awesome...seeing him and Switzer embrace would absolutely tear me up.

swardboy
11/9/2010, 10:16 PM
Think if I mailed a letter to

Marcus Dupree
Philadelphia, MS (zip)

He'd get it?

instigator
11/9/2010, 10:18 PM
Agreed.

Double agreed. It's just making me feel sad.

Scott D
Good question, I don't think they ever covered if he was actually living in Philadelphia anymore.

Tigeman
Man was it just me or did that Rev. just totally have something against OU?

Even tried to throw us under the bus about buying DuPree's mom a doublewide.

Which everyone went out of their way, except the TX coach, to avoid saying anyone specifically did anything. Just that there were rumors and "people" gave out money.

Then DuPree specifically said he wasn't getting jack at OU, and that the reverend was telling him he should be. But stated that he wasn't getting jack for some reason. Then BAM, the reverend says we gave them a double wide. Dudes agenda was clear.

Not saying we weren't dirty back then, as the record speaks for itself.... but that guy obviously had some agenda, if you have DuPree saying otherwise. Hell it was the guys whole reason DuPree should leave.... the fact that he wasn't getting anything.

olevetonahill
11/9/2010, 10:19 PM
from a Bama message board about Marquez Dupree

Thanks Pimp, Will he just not ever play or what?

That would be so awesome...seeing him and Switzer embrace would absolutely tear me up.

Ya Bro , I don't think there's any animosity between em, They both know there was some behind the scenes bull **** that hurt them both.

swardboy
11/9/2010, 10:20 PM
Well maybe I won't feel so idealistic when I wake up tomorrow, but this thing makes me want to reach out as one Sooner fan to him and say........something.

Boomer38Sooner
11/9/2010, 10:20 PM
Did anyone record this? I would love to see it if anyone did!

Cajun
11/9/2010, 10:21 PM
i tvod it

Soonerus
11/9/2010, 10:22 PM
I watched him play, he clearly had as much, or more talent as any player ever at OU. He was amazing...I was at that Missouri game where he ran over the linebacker and then out ran the 4.3 safety to the end zone ...most amazing run ...

royalfan5
11/9/2010, 10:22 PM

I think it's supposed to air a couple more times as well.

swardboy
11/9/2010, 10:23 PM

Which everyone went out of their way, except the TX coach, to avoid saying anyone specifically did anything. Just that there were rumors and "people" gave out money.

Then DuPree specifically said he wasn't getting jack at OU, and that the reverend was telling him he should be. But stated that he wasn't getting jack for some reason. Then BAM, the reverend says we gave them a double wide. Dudes agenda was clear.

Not saying we weren't dirty back then, as the record speaks for itself.... but that guy obviously had some agenda, if you have DuPree saying otherwise. Hell it was the guys whole reason DuPree should leave.... the fact that he wasn't getting anything.

What I got out of it was that the Rev's whole agenda was to get Marcus into the USFL...using the Southern Mississippi thing as a rouse to get him away from OU...sleazeball was angling for a cut of Marcus' pro $'s the whole way.

Soonerus
11/9/2010, 10:24 PM
I would love to see Marcus introduced at Owen Field...

Cajun
11/9/2010, 10:24 PM
http://www.wlox.com/Global/story.asp?S=13227283

neat story

Scott D
11/9/2010, 10:25 PM
well Rev made it clear that his preference was for Marcus to go to Southern Miss. It can easily be argued that with Marcus at Southern Miss. it made it easier for Rev to keep his claws in Marcus. Further evidenced by him being in Marcus' ear the entire time he was at OU.

Soonerus
11/9/2010, 10:26 PM
The Rev took advantage of a teenager...wrong !!!

Scott D
11/9/2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks Pimp, Will he just not ever play or what?

Ya Bro , I don't think there's any animosity between em, They both know there was some behind the scenes bull **** that hurt them both.

Well Marquez was a Bama recruit back when Fran was in charge there, redshirted his freshman year of 2001 and had the knee injury before his second year there.

Jacie
Hearing Switzer say he messed up with Marcus was exactly how Bear Bryant described what happened with Ken Hall, a story that has many similarities to the Marcus Dupree saga. Makes you wonder how many more great players could have had stellar careers if their "great" coaches had just let em play.

soonerchk
I am completely drained after watching that. I've always remembered Marcus Dupree as an entitled brat. I've certainly changed my mind after seeing that. I hope he's found peace, and as far as I'm concerned, he's welcome in the Sooner fold anytime.

olevetonahill

I think it was more that he saw a chance to skim some money, and dint want him in Ok away from his influence

I think that was a pizz poor effort to defelct from his sleaziness

Now am I the only one that came away with the Thot that Akers was pissed that Marcus decommitted from saxet and chose OU instead? Or that Marcus was intentionally targeted to take him out in the Hit in 83 :pop:

royalfan5
11/9/2010, 10:29 PM
I was glad to see that his brother was alive and doing well at the end. It seemed pretty ominous every time they talked about him.

olevetonahill
11/9/2010, 10:30 PM
Well maybe I won't feel so idealistic when I wake up tomorrow, but this thing makes me want to reach out as one Sooner fan to him and say........something.

I agree, Like I said There was a lot of confusion at the time. Lets do it Bro

Scott D
11/9/2010, 10:30 PM
yeah I kept getting the impression that his brother had passed away as well.

swardboy
11/9/2010, 10:31 PM
Reggie got a bride!!!!

Jacie
11/9/2010, 10:32 PM
I watched him play, he clearly had as much, or more talent as any player ever at OU. He was amazing...I was at that Missouri game where he ran over the linebacker and then out ran the 4.3 safety to the end zone ...most amazing run ...

Maybe the only time I ever felt sorry for a player on another team trying to tackle one of OUr guys.

As for the sa*et game that year, I was in the stands laughing my fool head off the whole time at the whorns and just like Akers said what he was thinking during the game, I was yelling at them, "Three more years!"

Soonerus
11/9/2010, 10:32 PM
Seeing Ackers reminded me of how poor he was...

Scott D
11/9/2010, 10:33 PM
vet and sward, maybe it would be better to write Joe C. about the idea of doing something.

swardboy
I was very, very relieved that OU wasn't painted as the BIG CHEATER school that won the recruiting war....very even-handed in my opinion.

And the power of BILLY SIMS!!!!

soonerchk
Now am I the only one that came away with the Thot that Akers was pissed that Marcus decommitted from saxet and chose OU instead? Or that Marcus was intentionally targeted to take him out in the Hit in 83 :pop:

Cranky Freddie = Happy Chk.

cyclonesooner
11/9/2010, 10:35 PM
It never ceases to amaze me when watching the old film clips of backs like DuPree, Sims, Washington, etc just how much more enjoyable it is to view the wishbone and I formation offenses with those slashing backs than it is now having to endure these basketball on grass spread offenses that has swept college and high school football. More exciting, truer, more genuine football with 250-285 lb lineman getting off the ball, blocking instead of holding every down. Just better football IMO. Can't beat it.

olevetonahill
11/9/2010, 10:35 PM
Hearing Switzer say he messed up with Marcus was exactly how Bear Bryant described what happened with Ken Hall, a story that has many similarities to the Marcus Dupree saga. Makes you wonder how many more great players could have had stellar careers if their "great" coaches had just let em play.

Dude if you came away from this Blaming the King. I feel sorry for you.:rolleyes:

Scott D
11/9/2010, 10:36 PM
I was very, very relieved that OU wasn't painted as the BIG CHEATER school that won the recruiting war....very even-handed in my opinion.

And the power of BILLY SIMS!!!!

proof that Billy Sims > Earl Campbell ;)

toast
11/9/2010, 10:37 PM
This should be recommended viewing for every kid who gets a scholarship offer. Know who to trust, keep open communication with the coaches, work hard because opportunities are fleeting, never give anyone full control over finances, etc. Many life lessons to be learned from Marcus and the decisions he made.

swardboy
11/9/2010, 10:37 PM
vet and sward, maybe it would be better to write Joe C. about the idea of doing something.

Oh I wouldn't even begin to suggest what the school should or shouldn't do...just a note to let MD know that this one Sooner fan has a better appreciation and sympathy for his situation while at OU...and appreciation for his phenomenal performance while a Sooner.

Iam4OUru
11/9/2010, 10:38 PM
It never ceases to amaze me when watching the old film clips of backs like DuPree, Sims, Washington, etc just how much more enjoyable it is to view the wishbone and I formation offenses with those slashing backs than it is now having to endure these basketball on grass spread offenses that has swept college and high school football. More exciting, truer, more genuine football with 250-285 lb lineman getting off the ball, blocking instead of holding every down. Just better football IMO. Can't beat it.

^ This.

I thought the documentary was excellent. Almost brought a tear to my eye.

Scott D
11/9/2010, 10:38 PM
well more along the lines of floating the idea of recognizing MD at halftime of a home game or something.

landrun
11/9/2010, 10:40 PM
This should be required viewing for every kid who gets a scholarship offer. Know who to trust, keep open communication with the coaches, work hard because opportunities are fleeting, never give anyone full control over finances, etc. Many life lessons to be learned from Marcus and the decisions he made.

FIFY.

And that really is a good idea.

Iam4OUru
11/9/2010, 10:40 PM
Dude if you came away from this Blaming the King. I feel sorry for you.:rolleyes:

True dis. If Switzer had it to do over......it's not a fact that he'd handle things any differently. I blame that damn preacher.

Soonerus
11/9/2010, 10:42 PM
Dupree obviously loafed during practices then was all-world in games and not surprisingly the coaches did not know how to deal with it...thus problems emerged...

bluedogok
11/9/2010, 10:42 PM
Think if I mailed a letter to

Marcus Dupree
Philadelphia, MS (zip)

He'd get it?
They said he lives in Gulfport, Mississippi now at the beginning.

I think it's supposed to air a couple more times as well.
They put these in heavy rotation on the other ESPN networks and it should be available on DVD soon.

I know it's Tramel, but his article today was about this show. They said he was on the sideline at the OSU game last season.

NewsOK.com - Marcus Dupree: The best that never was (http://www.newsok.com/marcus-dupree-the-best-that-never-was/article/3512687)

Dupree obviously loafed during practices then was all-world in games and not surprisingly the coaches did not know how to deal with it...thus problems emerged...
I place the blame more on those around him who never made him work at anything when he was growing up, he never had any work ethic instilled in him, Switzer was the first one to try and by then it is usually too late especially when you have a sleezeball manipulator feeding the seeds of doubt. There is no excuse for a high school coach not making the star work like the rest of the team....NONE and that is what happened to Marcus

soonercastor
11/9/2010, 10:44 PM
yeah Coach was worried about how handling him without giving him the impression that he was bigger than the team. very delicate situation.

Soonerus
11/9/2010, 10:44 PM
The show was awesome, save the cuts to James Hale....

soonerbub
11/9/2010, 10:47 PM
Barry and Marcus could've fixed it but the middlemen (including SI) drove a wedge

soonersweetie
11/9/2010, 10:48 PM

I believe I saw during the show that it is available on Amazon.com

Scott D
11/9/2010, 10:49 PM
They said he lives in Gulfport, Mississippi now at the beginning.

They put these in heavy rotation on the other ESPN networks and it should be available on DVD soon.

I know it's Tramel, but his article today was about this show. They said he was on the sideline at the OSU game last season.

NewsOK.com - Marcus Dupree: The best that never was (http://www.newsok.com/marcus-dupree-the-best-that-never-was/article/3512687)

I place the blame more on those around him who never made him work at anything when he was growing up, he never had any work ethic instilled in him, Switzer was the first one to try and by then it is usually too late especially when you have a sleezeball manipulator feeding the seeds of doubt. There is no excuse for a high school coach not making the star work like the rest of the team....NONE and that is what happened to Marcus

it occurred to me that the biggest problem in regards to high school was that Marcus was just that much better than everyone else he competed with in high school. Not to mention the way he played was just so effortless.

swardboy
Bluedogok, you made my night by posting that Tramel link. "I love Coach Switzer to death"....great. And he often comes up to Oklahoma. I have closure.

soonerchk
Barry and Marcus could've fixed it but the middlemen (including SI) drove a wedge

Can you imagine how bad it would have been if ESPN had been involved?

Soonerus
11/9/2010, 10:50 PM
I wonder how he was so advanced in high school...

olevetonahill
11/9/2010, 10:51 PM
True dis. If Switzer had it to do over......it's not a fact that he'd handle things any differently. I blame that damn preacher.

It was the Preacher man. Name me a Freshman that can go to any ****ing school and tell the coaches how things are going to happen. :pop:
Hwell most schools wont let em talk to the media the 1st year

soonerchk
11/9/2010, 10:52 PM

God given ability.

It was the Preacher man. Name me a Freshman that can go to any ****ing school and tell the coaches how things are going to happen. :pop:
Hwell most schools wont let em talk to the media the 1st year

And that preacher man is still talking like he was just trying to help. Bastage.

Scott D
11/9/2010, 10:53 PM
saying someone loafed is always a dangerous proposition. saying someone's talent outgrew their work ethic is one thing, but considering how with MD it was more absorbing what he needed to know for Saturdays and then flipping the switch when Saturday came, you could probably call it more unorthodox than anything.

swardboy
11/9/2010, 10:53 PM

Did you see that picture of a 14 year old Marcus next to his 17 year old friend in football uniforms....freak of nature + love of the game + lifting bricks on broom handles. That was funny. But seriously, once in a generation God gifts someone with incredible DNA I believe.

Soonerus
11/9/2010, 10:54 PM
Dupree is quoted somewhere as saying the preacher lied with his every word on the show...

Scott D
11/9/2010, 10:55 PM
that would be the article that bluedog linked.

soonerchk
11/9/2010, 10:55 PM
Dupree is quoted somewhere as saying the preacher lied with his every word on the show...

Oh, I'm pretty sure that anyone who is not the preacher is well aware of that.

Scott D
11/9/2010, 10:56 PM
Did you see that picture of a 14 year old Marcus next to his 17 year old friend in football uniforms....freak of nature + love of the game + lifting bricks on broom handles. That was funny. But seriously, once in a generation God gifts someone with incredible DNA I believe.

This. It's the physical equivalent of the kid who never studies or does much homework but yet aces tests.

bluedogok
11/9/2010, 10:57 PM
This. It's the physical equivalent of the kid who never studies or does much homework but yet aces tests.
I knew a few of those as well, most were lost once the hit the "real world", most ended up going back to school, getting advanced degrees and became professors or researchers.

kelloggOUballa
11/9/2010, 10:58 PM
For those who missed it, and those who didn't, here's the DVD (pre-order): http://www.amazon.com/Best-That-Never-Was/dp/B0040ZN9OA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289360605&sr=8-1

Scott D
11/9/2010, 10:59 PM
I decided to fight the real world instead of hiding in academia...I'm poor as a result :D

stoops the eternal pimp
11/9/2010, 10:59 PM
Its coming on again thursday at 1030pm...espn2 for those who missed it or want to DVR it

Soonerus
11/9/2010, 11:01 PM
We never got the chance to say goodbye, Marcus...

soonerchk
11/9/2010, 11:03 PM
Bluedogok, you made my night by posting that Tramel link. "I love Coach Switzer to death"....great. And he often comes up to Oklahoma. I have closure.

Me too! I'll be able to sleep now instead of worrying about how he's doing now and if he knows all is forgiven and he's welcome back anytime.

StiffArmTrophy
11/9/2010, 11:11 PM
Wow I have Zero State fans texting me how stupid it was and how he was not worth a darn!!!!!:eek: :rolleyes:

Tigeman
11/9/2010, 11:11 PM
Me too! I'll be able to sleep now instead of worrying about how he's doing now and if he knows all is forgiven and he's welcome back anytime.

"That made me happy, but also sad," said Dupree, who visits Oklahoma often, even attending last year's Bedlam game in Norman. "I love Coach Switzer to death. It was a lack of communication. I wish he had pulled me to the side and told me his thinking, that he didn't want to show favoritism. We wouldn't be talking about this right now.
"I'm still an Oklahoma guy. I wish I had stayed those last three years and won three national championships. It's the only thing I regret not doing.

I think he knows! :)

Scott D
11/9/2010, 11:14 PM
Wow I have Zero State fans texting me how stupid it was and how he was not worth a darn!!!!!:eek: :rolleyes:

you should have 3 words for them

Hart Lee Dykes

if that doesn't shut them up then say FingerPrentiss Elliott.

MeMyself&Me
11/9/2010, 11:15 PM
Just finished watching it and I'm not going back and reading all the pages here. My thoughts:

First time I've seen so many MD highlights. WOW, that dude was insanely good. Without even trying I think he's the best running back I've ever seen. He had as many impressive highlights in just over a season's worth of college ball as ANY of the 'greats' with longer careers.

Rev Ken is like those slimeball agents that have been talked about all over the news over this last year. Quite appropriate timing.

Fred Akers is a tool full of sour grapes.

I have more respect for MD than I did before this show.

Switzer may have been hard on the guy but I don't have a problem with that at all. Such is the nature of sports sometimes and you're supposed to learn how to deal with it. Switzer probably shouldn't have been airing it out in the media though.

Other than Fred's insinuation of wrong doing and Rev 'we all know is a liar' Ken's assertion of the double wide, OU was portrayed rather well here.

TXBOOMER
11/9/2010, 11:16 PM
Is there another profession with more dishonest crooked bastages than so called preachers? Make me sick.

StiffArmTrophy
11/9/2010, 11:17 PM
you should have 3 words for them

Hart Lee Dykes

if that doesn't shut them up then say FingerPrentiss Elliott.

Beautiful!!! Never even thought of that!!!!!

instigator
11/9/2010, 11:20 PM
Finally finished the show and damn that was an eye opener. I had seen a few highlights of him, but not that many. I see now why people compared AD to him. He looked faster and stronger than AD did while at OU or in HS. I am throughly saddened that the Reverend and all the other people were in his ear keeping him from achieving all that they could have. I think Scott Hill helped me to understand why the King treated Marcus like he did. They were scared of how good he was. I can believe that. I've never seen anything like that guy.

It does seem like he has made peace with his life but that has to be incredibly hard to know what could have been.

landrun
11/9/2010, 11:22 PM

From the article: http://www.newsok.com/marcus-dupree-the-best-that-never-was/article/3512687

"None of that was true," countered Dupree, who in the film suggests Fairley as his agent later stole money from him, then got him involved in several law suits. "His whole interview was basically a lie."

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/marcus-dupree-the-best-that-never-was/article/3512687#ixzz14qzc3jwJ

This guy is still a preacher right?? :mad:

I did find it 'odd' that they could put a brand new double-wide on the lot her house was, and still is, sitting on.

silverwheels
11/9/2010, 11:22 PM

That was me.

And now I'm training to become a chef. Screw desk jobs!

Collier11
11/9/2010, 11:23 PM
Very good, that POS should be in jail for sure...what a vulture.

It was really cool watching Dupree look at his old highlights

bluedogok
11/9/2010, 11:24 PM
Is there another profession with more dishonest crooked bastages than so called preachers? Make me sick.
Every profession has its share of crooked people.

silverwheels
11/9/2010, 11:26 PM
It was really cool watching Dupree look at his old highlights

But sad at the same time. The expression on his face at first was like a proud father watching his son, and then he seemed to think about what could have been, and his expression changed immediately. I got a little choked up at that part.

Salt City Sooner
11/9/2010, 11:30 PM
But sad at the same time. The expression on his face at first was like a proud father watching his son, and then he seemed to think about what could have been, and his expression changed immediately. I got a little choked up at that part.
x2. Those eyes sure looked full of regret.

landrun
11/9/2010, 11:31 PM

Yes. Several. Most preachers make pennies and really give of their lives to those in need.

That's what's so infuriating about scum like this. They choose a profession where people put a lot of trust in them so that they can manipulate it as a way to easily take advantage of people. It's the lowest, cheapest sleaziest way a crook can rip people off. :mad:

It is clear that everyone who knew this guy figured out he was trash. I'd like to know if they got anything from him when they filed suit and I'm curious to know how much Dupree made playing for Rams. I'm hoping there is some sort of justice somewhere and he made a nice chunk of change somewhere along the way.

But it doesn't really appear so... :(

landrun
11/9/2010, 11:35 PM
x2. Those eyes sure looked full of regret.

I noticed it when he found the photo of himself in his OU uniform at his mothers house. It would be very difficult knowing that a crook weaseled you out of millions and manipulated you as a young kid into making decisions that would ruin your life.

Soonerus
11/9/2010, 11:36 PM
Yes. Several. Most preachers make pennies and really give of their lives to those in need.

That's what's so infuriating about scum like this. They choose a profession where people put a lot of trust in them so that they can manipulate it as a way to easily take advantage of people. It's the lowest, cheapest sleaziest way a crook can rip people off. :mad:

It is clear that everyone who knew this guy figured out he was trash. I'd like to know if they got anything from him when they filed suit and I'm curious to know how much Dupree made playing for Rams. I'm hoping there is some sort of justice somewhere and he made a nice chunk of change somewhere along the way.

But it doesn't really appear so... :(

He is driving a truck now...

bringit
11/9/2010, 11:39 PM
watching him watch his old highlights, it was if he had never seen video of himself and was sort of in awe. I've not seen anything like him.

Collier11
11/9/2010, 11:39 PM
He is doing pretty well, I think the reason they didnt show him at his own house is so they could keep the down n out feel to the flick...everything ive ever heard he is making a nice life for himself

MeMyself&Me
11/9/2010, 11:47 PM
watching him watch his old highlights, it was if he had never seen video of himself and was sort of in awe. I've not seen anything like him.

That's exactly what I saw. At least he was removed from his playing time to be just a fan at that point and hadn't seen his own highlights since being just a fan. He was certainly in awe in the sense that he didn't really know just how good he used to be in that moment.

Tigeman
11/9/2010, 11:48 PM
Keep in mind that he was a scout for the NFL for a bit, so I'm sure he liked what he saw! LOL

olevetonahill
11/9/2010, 11:53 PM
God given ability.

And that preacher man is still talking like he was just trying to help. Bastage.

Lets get the Posse and go hang that bastage

OUthunder
11/9/2010, 11:55 PM
What I took from the show.

He was awesomely good and had he stayed, would have been successful in the NFL.

He was a good person at heart but really a dumbass.

The preacher guy is a prick and almost destroyed Marcus.

Marcus knows that he should have came back to Oklahoma.

Marcus isn't a dumbass anymore and I hope that one day n my lifetime that OU has a Marcus Dupree day, and I'll be in the stands cheering my *** off.

God bless you Marcus!

Soonerus
11/9/2010, 11:58 PM

Marcus isn't a dumbass anymore and I hope that one day n my lifetime that OU has a Marcus Dupree day, and I'll be in the stands cheering my *** off.

God bless you Marcus!

Good stuff...

Sooner24
11/9/2010, 11:58 PM
They left out the 83' Halloween halftime where the band member dressed up in a 22 uniform and limped around the field with a suitcase in tow. Best halftime ever.

Collier11
11/10/2010, 12:01 AM

God bless you Marcus!

you say a dumbass I say extremely naive :D

OUthunder
11/10/2010, 12:02 AM
you say a dumbass I say extremely naive :D

I'm not giving anybody a $45,000 check made out to me. Not even my momma!!!

Collier11
11/10/2010, 12:06 AM
Anyone think the Cam Newton saga has anything to do with ESPN moving up the airing by more than a month?

olevetonahill
11/10/2010, 12:11 AM
He is doing pretty well, I think the reason they didnt show him at his own house is so they could keep the down n out feel to the flick...everything ive ever heard he is making a nice life for himself

You betcha Scott. Ya take the Best football player of all time , Let him miss out on the Bucks . then go on to make a working class living and say Hes doing well.
Yer a dumas :P

85sooners
11/10/2010, 12:12 AM
:pop:

olevetonahill
11/10/2010, 12:15 AM
Every profession has its share of crooked people.

But Preachers aint really a Profession . Plus they have More than their fair share :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
11/10/2010, 12:16 AM
From the article: http://www.newsok.com/marcus-dupree-the-best-that-never-was/article/3512687

This guy is still a preacher right?? :mad:

I did find it 'odd' that they could put a brand new double-wide on the lot her house was, and still is, sitting on.

A ****ing DOUBLE WIDE think about what ya saying :rolleyes:

Collier11
11/10/2010, 12:17 AM
You betcha Scott. Ya take the Best football player of all time , Let him miss out on the Bucks . then go on to make a working class living and say Hes doing well.
Yer a dumas :P

Go talk to Switz and anyone else who knows him, they were talking about it on the radio the other day. He also still does appearances and autograph sessions.

He may not be making millions but he is doing just fine from what ive heard

olevetonahill
11/10/2010, 12:20 AM
I'm not giving anybody a $45,000 check made out to me. Not even my momma!!!

But he trusted the dude
Shoulda listened to Charlie Daniels
bs4y5si8DGs

olevetonahill
11/10/2010, 12:24 AM
Go talk to Switz and anyone else who knows him, they were talking about it on the radio the other day. He also still does appearances and autograph sessions.

He may not be making millions but he is doing just fine from what ive heard

Then Im happy for him /

SOONER44EVER
11/10/2010, 12:29 AM
Excellent show. He was a naive kid who got bad advice from people he trusted most. Sad story. I'd love to see him come back to Owen Field and be honored at halftime.

misplacedsooner
11/10/2010, 01:37 AM
sooo, where does this preacher man live????

AlboSooner
11/10/2010, 02:15 AM
It was an excellent show.

yermom
11/10/2010, 02:24 AM
If he hadn't brought himself back for that year w/ the Rams, this story would be totally crushing. But he seemed content, so good for him!

this.

without the comeback story, this would have been just horrible to watch

Collier11
11/10/2010, 02:31 AM
Cool story about how the movie came together

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/richard_deitsch/11/07/media.circus.marcus.dupree/index.html?section=si_latest

Sooner70
11/10/2010, 06:44 AM
I only saw the last half, but recorded it. Even watching that much sure opened my eyes about this saga. I always kinda thought his Mom was the culprit, but now I'm thinking the Rev was the real culprit. In fact, if I heard right, his Mom actually wanted him to return to OU. Seems the Rev gave the kid poor advice, but I can understand his "buffer" argument somewhat.

Did they do any interviews with any teammates? Wonder how Marcus was as a teammate. I'm thinking Marcus wasn't much of a team guy, but I don't know. He probably learned in HS that he had to go it mostly alone on the field and make it happen, which he did big time.

My sense from OKC high school, and we had some good All State players that went to OU, even tho they might've been men among boys at the HS level, when they hit OU, it was entirely different. The competition ratcheted up exponentially and they felt the heat. Some couldn't stick with it, as good as they were. Marcus was unique, but I wonder if he felt some of that and that's why he wanted to move back to a smaller (S. Miss) program....big fish in a little pond. Still, I think he was a big fish in a big pond at OU, but maybe he didn't think that. Obviously felt he couldn't satisfy Switzer.

Jacie
11/10/2010, 07:11 AM
Another tool, Frank Kush.

After the Fiesta Bowl, he was asked how they were able to catch Marcus and keep him from scoring on those long runs. He replied that they worked on the angles to force him out of bounds instead of tackling him straight up.

It was nice to hear Switzer say what he did about it. Marcus, hurt and overweight, playing for half the game still set a Fiesta Bowl rushing record that may not be broken and imagine how many yards he'd have gained had he been able to play the entire game.

MeMyself&Me
11/10/2010, 07:33 AM
Another tool, Frank Kush.

After the Fiesta Bowl, he was asked how they were able to catch Marcus and keep him from scoring on those long runs. He replied that they worked on the angles to force him out of bounds instead of tackling him straight up.

I'm not really understanding why this is bad. :confused:

The Maestro
11/10/2010, 08:12 AM
My takeaways are from Switzer's legacy.

He is typecast as a players coach with no disciplinarian in him. If he was that way with someone as talented as Marcus, that proves that theory wrong.

Everyone had every opportunity to say that OU did something underhanded to sign Marcus. Switzer was typecast as a cheater. If we didn't pay Marcus, we didn't obviously run a crooked program.

I thought the show said as much for Switzer as it did for Marcus, at least in my eyes.

SoonerLVZ
11/10/2010, 09:21 AM
Marcus came across very well for this. You had to feel sorrow for the guy, all the talent in the world. Got to have respect for him, he didn't end up in prison or a druggie. He made mistakes, but I think he was naive and was told things by both the preacher and his uncle (kind of surprised no one mentioned his uncle yet). I really think that one Saturday (maybe in 2012-2013 for the 20 year mark) Marcus should come back and get an introduction on the field. I think after this there would be chants of "Marcus! Marcus!" and a standing ovation.

texaspokieokie
11/10/2010, 09:24 AM
OU signed @ least one other "super stud" that year.
think his name was James Lee,from ft worth. turned out he couldn't handle the academics.

What's the big deal about Hart Lee Dykes?? he set an ncaa record, he got
(or @ least helped) 4 schools on probation. the he got to play out his career.
of the 4 schools, osu @ least got the benefit of his play.

virginiasooner
11/10/2010, 09:28 AM
They left out the 83' Halloween halftime where the band member dressed up in a 22 uniform and limped around the field with a suitcase in tow. Best halftime ever.

I was at that game! I recall the baton twirler who lost her baton. I also remember the sousaphone player who had "Marcus Who" covering the top of his sousaphone.

Jacie
11/10/2010, 09:36 AM
I'm not really understanding why this is bad. :confused:

I guess it comes off to me as he is taking credit for being able to "stop" the great Marcus Dupree (who set a Fiesta Bowl record for rushing yardage that still stands) when it would seem according to Switzer that the kid was slowed due to injury and his momma's fried chicken, and if not for that, Marcus would have had double the yardage he did.

texaspokieokie
11/10/2010, 09:37 AM
very impressed when Scot Hill said he saw MD bench 400 lbs, 10 TIMES.

is that possible ???

MeMyself&Me
11/10/2010, 09:58 AM
I guess it comes off to me as he is taking credit for being able to "stop" the great Marcus Dupree (who set a Fiesta Bowl record for rushing yardage that still stands) when it would seem according to Switzer that the kid was slowed due to injury and his momma's fried chicken, and if not for that, Marcus would have had double the yardage he did.

Gotcha. I thought you were complaining about their method, not the response.

Anyway, I don't really know that I have a problem with his response if it was indeed a response to a question. He probably just took it as a invitation to explain how they prepped for MD.

texaspokieokie
11/10/2010, 10:02 AM
Gotcha. I thought you were complaining about their method, not the response.

Anyway, I don't really know that I have a problem with his response if it was indeed a response to a question. He probably just took it as a invitation to explain how they prepped for MD.

they had a good plan. just let him run as much as he wants in the 1st half, & he'll be too tired in 2nd half. it worked, altho i bet they had doubters in 1st half.:D

MeMyself&Me
11/10/2010, 10:04 AM
very impressed when Scot Hill said he saw MD bench 400 lbs, 10 TIMES.

is that possible ???

No ****! When I first heard him say that I thought, damn that's impressive. Then I thought about all the kids I knew in high school and all the power lifting meets I went to in high school and decided that it probably was a bit of an exaggeration.

BUT, if someone had told me about all those runs I saw last night from his freshman year at OU, I'd thought they were exaggerating too so what do I know.

instigator
11/10/2010, 10:10 AM
Marcus came across very well for this. You had to feel sorrow for the guy, all the talent in the world. Got to have respect for him, he didn't end up in prison or a druggie. He made mistakes, but I think he was naive and was told things by both the preacher and his uncle (kind of surprised no one mentioned his uncle yet). I really think that one Saturday (maybe in 2012-2013 for the 20 year mark) Marcus should come back and get an introduction on the field. I think after this there would be chants of "Marcus! Marcus!" and a standing ovation.

After seeind this, I'd like to see him acknowledged in Norman as well. I think he could do some real good talking to freshman coming in.

Oh and that's the 30 year mark. Math is hard. :D

yermom
11/10/2010, 10:27 AM
My takeaways are from Switzer's legacy.

He is typecast as a players coach with no disciplinarian in him. If he was that way with someone as talented as Marcus, that proves that theory wrong.

Everyone had every opportunity to say that OU did something underhanded to sign Marcus. Switzer was typecast as a cheater. If we didn't pay Marcus, we didn't obviously run a crooked program.

I thought the show said as much for Switzer as it did for Marcus, at least in my eyes.

maybe that's why he backed off and things got out of hand in the next few years...

Soonerntxs
11/10/2010, 10:32 AM
I enjoyed the program and it answered many questions I had about MD. I have always been a fan of his, but had very little knowledge of what happened. I'm not a big jersey guy but, I do have a MD 1982 Game Jersey & in honor of him, I'm wearing it on Sat! I hope one day to get him to sign it! For some of you intouch with him, send my regards and well wishes and let him know that he still has a great fan base at OU!

yermom
11/10/2010, 10:33 AM

i don't remember the uncle being that shady, just maybe naive. i don't think anyone involved was ready for the amount of money involved, except maybe the preacher... he seemed to have a good idea on how to get him loans and screw him good

if he doesn't get hurt, or doesn't let everyone tell him he's done when he does, he probably plays longer and this isn't a tragic story, except he still probably ends up driving a truck with all of his pro money gone

Scott D
11/10/2010, 10:34 AM
maybe that's why he backed off and things got out of hand in the next few years...

yeah, the way Switzer treated Marcus, and the end result of that may have changed how Switzer handled players for awhile.

soonerchk
11/10/2010, 10:55 AM

I should have grabbed that ax in the parking lot when I had the chance.

sooneron
11/10/2010, 11:08 AM
Very well made doc. I pretty much agree with you guys. I don't think Marcus was dumb. He was small town sheltered and thus, naive. It's weird to hear Barry say that he had regrets about how he handled MD. I was a soph/junior in hs in Norman when Marcus was here and I remember the media coloring the whole situation the way that they did. I was so pissed at him for leaving, but now I feel like a LOT of light was shed upon the situation. I wish Marcus the best. I'd love to meet him sometime. I remember seeing him run at games. He was the best that I ever saw run with the ball and I'll probably say that til I die. Best .

1890MilesToNorman
11/10/2010, 11:21 AM
MD was a phenomenal talent, should coaches have coached him different? Should coaches coach the next one different? I don't think so, foosball is a team sport and you shouldn't create a divide in a team because of one player. I think Switzer and staff should have explained this to him and maybe coached him on how people suck, even preachers.

85sooners
11/10/2010, 11:46 AM
:pop:

yermom
11/10/2010, 11:59 AM
I was glad to see that his brother was alive and doing well at the end. It seemed pretty ominous every time they talked about him.

when did they say that? all i saw was him tear up when the guy mentioned him at the end

1890MilesToNorman
11/10/2010, 12:01 PM
when did they say that? all i saw was him tear up when the guy mentioned him at the end

It was at the very end stating he was married and living in Alabama, it was written not spoken.

Mississippi Sooner
11/10/2010, 12:11 PM
I was kinda surprised they didn't say anything about his son, Marquez. He was a flash in the pan here, too, about ten years ago. I seem to recall him playing both RB and DB. He signed with Bama, but I don't think he ever played a down for the Tide. After a year or so he came back to Mississippi and enrolled in junior college, but nothing ever came of that, either.

I do know that when Marcus was holding a football camp in Philadelphia with Dexter McCleon and some other local guys last summer, Marquez was with them, but I have no idea what he's doing for a living now.

OUmillenium
11/10/2010, 12:15 PM
Thought is was great. My wife teared up at times. #1 problem was the people who were in Marcus's ear. He would have figured out work ethic sooner or later. I had the same issues as a 17 yr old Frosh playing college basketball (not at OU). Not agents in my ear, just tough dealing with coaches hammering away at you daily trying to get the most out of you.

virginiasooner
11/10/2010, 12:19 PM
Very well made doc. I pretty much agree with you guys. I don't think Marcus was dumb. He was small town sheltered and thus, naive. It's weird to hear Barry say that he had regrets about how he handled MD. I was a soph/junior in hs in Norman when Marcus was here and I remember the media coloring the whole situation the way that they did. I was so pissed at him for leaving, but now I feel like a LOT of light was shed upon the situation. I wish Marcus the best. I'd love to meet him sometime. I remember seeing him run at games. He was the best that I ever saw run with the ball and I'll probably say that til I die. Best .

I don't want to compare players from different eras, but what did Adrian Peterson have that Marcus Dupree didn't? The pressure to perform well was the same. And I understand the money issue -- heck, I had difficulty at times paying my phone bill in college, so I can relate. But my extended family wasn't seeing me as their meal ticket. And as for that preacher -- you'll answer for what you've done in the hereafter. Perhaps OU was too big a stage for Marcus. Perhaps he should have stayed closer to home. But I was glad to see that he hadn't degenerated into one of those faded stars who only live for yesterday.

sooneron
11/10/2010, 12:26 PM
I don't want to compare players from different eras, but what did Adrian Peterson have that Marcus Dupree didn't? The pressure to perform well was the same. And I understand the money issue -- heck, I had difficulty at times paying my phone bill in college, so I can relate. But my extended family wasn't seeing me as their meal ticket. And as for that preacher -- you'll answer for what you've done in the hereafter. Perhaps OU was too big a stage for Marcus. Perhaps he should have stayed closer to home. But I was glad to see that he hadn't degenerated into one of those faded stars who only live for yesterday.

I'm just trying to figure out why you quoted my post.

Harry Beanbag
11/10/2010, 12:30 PM

I'm in. He should be hanged just for that godawful attempt at a mustache.

GDC
11/10/2010, 12:30 PM
I knew a few of those as well, most were lost once the hit the "real world", most ended up going back to school, getting advanced degrees and became professors or researchers.

WTF does that mean? Kind of a broad generalization there.

virginiasooner
11/10/2010, 12:45 PM
I'm just trying to figure out why you quoted my post.

The pressure to perform. Money issues. Player background. Family issues. I also recall how angry everyone was when he split back to Mississippi. And I'd also like to join in the chorus that all is forgiven. We all make mistakes, but not with the national sports press documenting our every move.

badger
11/10/2010, 01:04 PM
NP and I watched last night. Fortunately my long blond hair covered up my eyes during that spot near the end when the filmmaker said "i thought Reggie was your biggest fan" after he said his mom was. Probably at that moment Marcus wished he had longer hair still (or a bigger hat) to cover his eyes.

In any event, glad to see he's landed on his feet. And for the record, Marcus said the rumors that the double-wide was a gift from OU are false.

Always_Sooner
11/10/2010, 01:21 PM
I think from hearing both sides of it regarding Switzer and Dupree it just wasn't a good fit. I remember back in 2004 people were comparing Peterson to Dupree because his father was in prison. The closet thing to Dupree was Bo Jackson.

cjames317
11/10/2010, 01:51 PM
... I really think that one Saturday (maybe in 2012-2013 for the 20 year mark) Marcus should come back and get an introduction on the field. I think after this there would be chants of "Marcus! Marcus!" and a standing ovation.

Whoa. I wonder if his teammates feel that way.

bluedogok
11/10/2010, 01:51 PM
But Preachers aint really a Profession . Plus they have More than their fair share :rolleyes:
In comparison to the financial world there is a mere fraction of preachers who are corrupt. Preachers just make the headlines more often.

I don't want to compare players from different eras, but what did Adrian Peterson have that Marcus Dupree didn't? The pressure to perform well was the same.
Peterson had strong people in his life who pushed him to be the best, more than he had people who were looking for a payday from him.

WTF does that mean? Kind of a broad generalization there.
No generalizations at all, I was speaking of the "super smart" people that I personally knew and went to school with most were highly intelligent but lacked common sense. When they left school for the the world outside academia they were ill prepared because their minds just didn't process that world as well as it did inside the sheltered world of academia. So they went back to comfort zone (academia) and most did rather well in that world.

OUmillenium
11/10/2010, 02:06 PM

You would think with the 700 "salutes" given per game that they could somehow make a spot available for him. He still had an award (might have been the student-athlete award) from his freshmen year. So the announcement could be something like...
"Please give a warm Sooner welcome to one of the greatest running backs (or whatever, Freshmen running back/Player) ever at the University of Oklahoma...1983(?) recipient of the Sooner student- athlete award...Marcus Dupree."

Much better than all of the billions of salutes to people who are/were not football players and I am not ineterested in while attending a FOOTBALL game.

GDC
11/10/2010, 02:11 PM
No generalizations at all, I was speaking of the "super smart" people that I personally knew and went to school with most were highly intelligent but lacked common sense. When they left school for the the world outside academia they were ill prepared because their minds just didn't process that world as well as it did inside the sheltered world of academia. So they went back to comfort zone (academia) and most did rather well in that world.

generalization - reasoning from detailed facts to general principles

You are wrong on many levels, and that is simply an idiotic statement.

bluedogok
11/10/2010, 02:22 PM
generalization - reasoning from detailed facts to general principles

You are wrong on many levels, and that is simply an idiotic statement.
Not when I am speaking about people that I KNEW PERSONALLY and not about the "general public". I was not "reasoning" from a few random subjects nor applying it to the "highly intelligent" population in general. There is a reason why some stay in academia and some are able to move between them, of those THEY I KNEW some handled it better than others.

Your the one applying generalities to the statement, not me. So that would make yours the "idiotic statement".

stoops the eternal pimp
11/10/2010, 02:27 PM
Even though I realize what a great athlete he was, and after watching the show, I am terribly sorry for the guy for how things went...

I really don't feel the need for the university to bring him back and have a special moment for him on the field...

Mississippi Sooner
11/10/2010, 02:31 PM
Even though I realize what a great athlete he was, and after watching the show, I am terribly sorry for the guy for how things went...

I really don't feel the need for the university to bring him back and have a special moment for him on the field...

And honestly, I find it very hard to believe that he'd agree to attend.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/10/2010, 02:33 PM
Well, I just don't see the point really...

OUEngr1990
11/10/2010, 02:34 PM
Then BAM, the reverend says we gave them a double wide. Dudes agenda was clear.

I didn't bother me because at that point I realized that everything coming out of the reverends mouth was garbage, so that probably was too..

stoops the eternal pimp
11/10/2010, 02:36 PM
As far as AD goes, people don't think he had guys like Fairly trying to influence him? The only reason you don't know about em is because AD made the right decisions

OUmillenium
11/10/2010, 02:39 PM
What is the point of any of the salutes if the people involved didn't bring a trophy to the University of Oklahoma?

Scott D
11/10/2010, 02:40 PM
they donated monies

stoops the eternal pimp
11/10/2010, 02:41 PM
You know how many players they would have to line up and do this for? There has been quite a few talented players not make it at OU for whatever reason...

SoonerLVZ
11/10/2010, 02:42 PM

The more I think about it, it's actually a really good point.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/10/2010, 02:49 PM
I loved watching the clips of Marcus and John Brooks counting down the yard lines and ending with a Jiminy Christmas. Good times...

Salt City Sooner
11/10/2010, 02:56 PM
Another tool, Darryl Rogers.

It was nice to hear Switzer say what he did about it. Marcus, hurt and overweight, playing for half the game still set a Fiesta Bowl rushing record that may not be broken and imagine how many yards he'd have gained had he been able to play the entire game.

FIFY. ;)

GDC
11/10/2010, 02:59 PM
Not when I am speaking about people that I KNEW PERSONALLY and not about the "general public". I was not "reasoning" from a few random subjects nor applying it to the "highly intelligent" population in general. There is a reason why some stay in academia and some are able to move between them, of those THEY I KNEW some handled it better than others.

Your the one applying generalities to the statement, not me. So that would make yours the "idiotic statement".

You could say the (few) "super smart" people you knew became professors and researchers without including vague, derogatory judgements and qualifiers like "lacked common sense" or suggesting that was all they could ever do. It's not exactly breaking news that smart people go into the areas you mentioned, but that doesn't mean that's all they are capable of. You make it sound like anyone with any brains automatically has Aspberger's. You sound like you feel inferior to "super smart" people, and are way overcompensating.

NOVSooner
11/10/2010, 03:15 PM
i'm sure something similar already posted but Marcus' thoughts after watching the show for himself:

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=22c0f74c7bd248eb99cb1bcb4cd00bb7&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a22c0f74c7bd248eb99cb1bcb4cd00bb7 Post%3a710f80d6-d511-44d7-b1e8-093e900e3c9a&sid=sitelife.clarionledger.com

sooneron
11/10/2010, 03:22 PM
GDC????

soonerchk
11/10/2010, 03:23 PM
i'm sure something similar already posted but Marcus' thoughts after watching the show for himself:

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=22c0f74c7bd248eb99cb1bcb4cd00bb7&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a22c0f74c7bd248eb99cb1bcb4cd00bb7 Post%3a710f80d6-d511-44d7-b1e8-093e900e3c9a&sid=sitelife.clarionledger.com

I hadn't seen that, and I'm glad to get the chance to read it. I know it's dorky, but I'm so glad he and Barry have a relationship now.

sooneron
11/10/2010, 03:23 PM
And we all know that bluedog is talking about Leroy. So let's just nip it in the bud now...

Scott D
11/10/2010, 03:31 PM
why take gdc's fun away from him?

bluedogok
11/10/2010, 04:46 PM
You sound like you feel inferior to "super smart" people, and are way overcompensating.
What I am mainly referring to is there is an insulating factor staying in academia for many of them, they are just wired differently as they think at such a high level for their chosen field but really have very little knowledge of the world outside of that which makes it more difficult to live in the "real world". I never questioned their intellect but sometimes what seems like the most mundane and ordinary things seem completely foreign to them.

...or maybe it is the fact that most of them are Whorns.

Sooner Brewcrew
11/10/2010, 04:52 PM
That was a great program but it's very sad to think about what could have been with him.

Scott D
11/10/2010, 04:52 PM
don't appeal to gdc's vanity now :P

Sooner95
11/10/2010, 05:23 PM
Well, for me, this was one of the best documentaries I've seen in some time. growing up I had heard of Dupree, but being only 8 at the time he was at OU, I don't recall much. I do remember him with the Rams though.

A sad story indeed, and mistakes were made on alot of fronts. It's nice to see him at peace with everything though, and moving on. Truly one talented son of a gun, and quite possibly one of the best running backs ever to step on the field.

To bad it never flourished..

OUEngr1990
11/10/2010, 05:48 PM
Like most tragedies, several things had to happen concurrently: A) Switzer not knowing how to manage Dupree's talent B) Dupree not knowing how to manage Dupree's talent C) People (that Dupree trusted) manipulating Dupree. D) Injuries. It was just bad all around. Sounds like he has matured enough now to handle himself and make a good life. Good for him. Who says you need 10 mil in the bank to feel happy and satisfied...

soonerbub
11/10/2010, 06:45 PM
I'm watchin it again
he was truly the best
besides :mack: woulda screwed him up in 84 ;)

sendbaht
11/10/2010, 06:53 PM
"After a loss to Texas dropped the Sooners to 3-2, a woozy Dupree flew home to Mississippi.

And never came back."

I went to this game, tickets cost me and my GF at the time, $100 a peice.

When we left the game someone (are you on here?) I saw in the parking lot a newish red Lincoln with a white top, the owner wrote on the rear window,
" Barry Swizer and Marcus Dupre can kiss my butt" never forget it.

ashley
11/10/2010, 08:48 PM
The more I think about it, it's actually a really good point.

You must be kidding. You could fill the field with guys too lazy and spoiled. Sure he came from a bad enviroment but lots of people do.

ashley
11/10/2010, 08:52 PM
I should have grabbed that ax in the parking lot when I had the chance.

You got conned.

Collier11
11/10/2010, 08:54 PM

Id say more than anything it would be a nice gesture and maybe it could allow him some closure on his messing up by leaving OU

ashley
11/10/2010, 08:56 PM
Excellent show. He was a naive kid who got bad advice from people he trusted most. Sad story. I'd love to see him come back to Owen Field and be honored at halftime.

For what?

Scott D
11/10/2010, 09:00 PM
for being someone ashley doesn't like.

KC//CRIMSON
11/10/2010, 09:03 PM
Great documentary.

You'll always be a sooner, Marcus Dupree.

ashley
11/10/2010, 09:07 PM
for being someone ashley doesn't like.

I don't dislike him at all. I was sad for him but he does not deserve to be honored. I would honor all the kids on all teams that never got to play, worked their asses off and got a degree. Lots of them have sad stories to tell about their life too. Have we started giving awards for potential?

Scott D
11/10/2010, 09:08 PM
you get a gold star for potential.

AlbqSooner
11/10/2010, 09:52 PM
A great documentary. He was truly a talent. Watching him play when he was at OU often left me thinking he might be the best I ever saw. Having been a fan of the Sooners since they were in the process of winning 47 straight, I have seen a LOT of great ones. Marcus still might be the best running back I ever saw.

I agree with what Marcus said. The coaches should have pulled him aside and told him WHY he was being treated harshly and brought along slowly.

God Bless him. He moved past the regrets and continues to make a good life for himself. He has never been in trouble, so he knows right from wrong. Sad that he made a bad decision that was a MAJOR decision in his life.

Dio
11/11/2010, 01:00 AM
GDC????

That's what I'm saying!

misplacedsooner
11/11/2010, 01:11 AM
when i think of marcus in uniform sooners is all i see

budbarrybob
11/11/2010, 01:35 AM
Great respect for the man.

Leroy Lizard
11/11/2010, 03:14 AM
Just in case any of you get a soft spot for the Horn program:

http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=6291436&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=