PDA

View Full Version : The Best That Never Was- Marcus Dupree

Pages : 1 [2]

Blue
11/11/2010, 03:18 AM
Beautiful story. Beautiful family. Bravo.

Anybody who dogs this guy is a heartless pos.

Collier11
11/11/2010, 03:20 AM
Oh geez, ut still thinks they dont cheat, lol...they probably offered Dupree more than anyone, diff is ut hasnt been caught

bluedogok
11/11/2010, 03:22 AM
They also think Bevo piles don't stink either....

Blue
11/11/2010, 03:34 AM
As far as AD goes, people don't think he had guys like Fairly trying to influence him? The only reason you don't know about em is because AD made the right decisions

Apparently you've never made any bad decisions in your life?

yermom
11/11/2010, 04:00 AM
who is dogging him?

i'm not sure what he'd be acknowledged for at halftime either. sure, embrace him as a former Sooner, but what do you say? "here's the best that never was. let's hear it for the guy that should have been awesome here 30 years ago"

Blue
11/11/2010, 04:05 AM
Nobody is dogging him in this thread. Its quite a change from previous Dupree discussions. This should shut them down.

sooner518
11/11/2010, 08:43 AM
Just in case any of you get a soft spot for the Horn program:

http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=6291436&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

i guess they missed the part about where everyone was trying to convince Marcus to transfer to another school because those other schools "would tream him well"....

i dont think we were clean as freshly fallen snow in getting him, but if Texas, who almost got him, thinks they were, well, theyve been spending too much time smokin' out with their players

MeMyself&Me
11/11/2010, 09:07 AM
Wow, talk about taking it differently. The only thing I can say is:

Just like Akres...

Big *** sour grapes.

Sooners78
11/11/2010, 09:08 AM
I watched him play, he clearly had as much, or more talent as any player ever at OU. He was amazing...I was at that Missouri game where he ran over the linebacker and then out ran the 4.3 safety to the end zone ...most amazing run ...

That run pretty much sums up the talent he had. He was like a man among boys.

OUEngr1990
11/11/2010, 09:16 AM
Just in case any of you get a soft spot for the Horn program:

http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=6291436&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

It's amazing how they think we cheat and still believe that they don't.

OUEngr1990
11/11/2010, 09:16 AM
Oh geez, ut still thinks they dont cheat, lol...they probably offered Dupree more than anyone, diff is ut hasnt been caught

Because they are better at not getting caught

stoops the eternal pimp
11/11/2010, 09:35 AM
Id say more than anything it would be a nice gesture and maybe it could allow him some closure on his messing up by leaving OU

what about all the other guys who probably had similar situations happen that we'll never hear of because they weren't marcus dupree?

plus, doesn't sound like he needs closure....sounds like he is perfectly content

stoops the eternal pimp
11/11/2010, 09:39 AM
Apparently you've never made any bad decisions in your life?

don't have a clue what this post means...I point out AD was able to make right decisions, and then you quote me with whatever this is

Soonerwake
11/11/2010, 09:41 AM
don't have a clue what this post means...I point out AD was able to make right decisions, and then you quote me with whatever this is

C'mon STEP, you know what this means... It's just confirmation of your infallibility... :D

stoops the eternal pimp
11/11/2010, 09:43 AM
I dunno..sometimes people post stuff and it has nothing to do with what they are quoting...maybe I should do that...

and i miss the boot

Soonerwake
11/11/2010, 09:45 AM
The boot misses you. Maybe I'll bring it Saturday anyway..

olevetonahill
11/11/2010, 10:37 AM
The boot misses you. Maybe I'll bring it Saturday anyway..

You should, That way we be sure to recognize you :P

SoonerEMT
11/11/2010, 11:54 AM
I loved watching the clips of Marcus and John Brooks counting down the yard lines and ending with a Jiminy Christmas. Good times...

For me, John Brooks will always be the voice of the Sooners, as he was the voice calling the games as I grew up, when television provided a small number of games per year... Even now, hearing him call Union HS games brings some of the memories back...

Great documentary overall, and I'm getting a copy for my brother, who missed it due to being deployed in Guam... He, like me, had always heard of Marcus Dupree, but was too young to have seen him play...

Pricetag
11/11/2010, 02:14 PM
Marcus was like the Anakin Skywalker of football. Yes, he was the chosen one, yes, you want him on your side, but what do you do with him when you get him?

I think a lot of young studs think they have more to offer the coach than he has to offer them, and 99.9 percent of the time, they are wrong. I think Marcus was the exception. It doesn't even seem like Marcus was that kind of guy, but you couldn't fault any coach for botching his handling.

I think the best thing for Marcus would have been to go to a smaller school, one whose coaches and players could be honest and admit that Marcus was the man, and just let him rip. With all the tradition and talent that OU had, Coach Switzer just couldn't have done it that way.

ashley
11/11/2010, 03:18 PM
Marcus was like the Anakin Skywalker of football. Yes, he was the chosen one, yes, you want him on your side, but what do you do with him when you get him?

I think a lot of young studs think they have more to offer the coach than he has to offer them, and 99.9 percent of the time, they are wrong. I think Marcus was the exception. It doesn't even seem like Marcus was that kind of guy, but you couldn't fault any coach for botching his handling.

I think the best thing for Marcus would have been to go to a smaller school, one whose coaches and players could be honest and admit that Marcus was the man, and just let him rip. With all the tradition and talent that OU had, Coach Switzer just couldn't have done it that way.

Switzer just wanted him to practice everyday and get get in shape.

swardboy
11/11/2010, 04:11 PM
Yes, ironically Southern Mississippi might have been the best option for him at the time. Nothing was going to shake the rev. off, but at least he might have had a chance at a college career...maybe even a degree, though I doubt the rev. had that in mind....it was always "u$fl here we come!" ...with Hershel Walker pointing the way to an early college exit. It just came sooner than the rev. expected from Oklahoma.

OUEngr1990
11/11/2010, 04:16 PM
I'm surprised he didn't go to Alabama since it was so close to his hometown.

Salt City Sooner
11/11/2010, 05:19 PM
x2. I guess the fact that he originally committed to UT goes right over their collective heads.

Scott D
11/11/2010, 05:21 PM
x2. I guess the fact that he originally committed to UT goes right over their collective heads.

no no, that's their proof that we cheated ;)

OUEngr1990
11/11/2010, 05:33 PM
When he said he got a real pretty girl at UT showing him around, I figured he got a good polishing, and I don't mean his shoes. Thats how they do it..

Him: heyl yeah! I'm comin to UT!!

GDC
11/11/2010, 08:07 PM
...or maybe it is the fact that most of them are Whorns.

:D

Rocker
11/11/2010, 08:28 PM
Coach Switzers comments from the his book "I told Lucious to be especially careful he didn't innocently slip up. When Marcus went to Austin for his official visit to the University of Texas, he wanted to see a place that sold cowboy boots. Marcus tried on a beautiful pair of $600.00 boots and then walked out, leaving an assistant coach to pay the bill. At least that's the way Texas explained it when NCAA took away some of their scholarships as punishment."

hmmm whorns...

stoops the eternal pimp
11/12/2010, 03:11 PM
well if your going to have a special thing for dupree during a game, you have to have one for demond parker as well as many others

Collier11
11/12/2010, 04:42 PM
you dont have to do anything

SCSooner71
11/12/2010, 06:09 PM
I think the piece ESPN did for Marcus is enough.

olevetonahill
11/12/2010, 06:28 PM
Ok before this goes much further. I think what Sward had ib mind and Im sure its what I hadin mind was . just a bunch of us gettin a Card er somepun and signing it and send it to him ..
Like has been said, Those of us that were around to watch him play then leave with out any explanation can now understand Why things happened the way they did.

Now if OU wanted to do something i'd be ok with that .

stoops the eternal pimp
11/12/2010, 10:06 PM
oh I see where you are coming from as well as what others have suggested...I think the guy is more than content with how his life is..

CowboyMRW
11/16/2010, 12:08 PM
The guy was truly an amazing talent. Also he wrote me on fb the other day which is pretty cool in my eyes. Good to see the guy is making the best of everything

boomermagic
11/16/2010, 04:11 PM
A lot of time has gone by but I've seen the best in my time and Marcus was the BEST to EVER step on a football field ANYWHERE.. When Barry says he was the most talented he ever coached just think about WHO he coached..

MyT Oklahoma
11/16/2010, 11:14 PM
I am glad that Marcus has made peace with himself, with Switzer, with his former teammates and with some of the OU fans. I remember watching him play and I only wish him the best.

47straight
11/16/2010, 11:32 PM
I thought the show was pretty balanced. I'm very happy that Dupree has made peace with himself, openly states he shouldn't have left OU, and even buckled down and made a decent comeback and made an NFL team. I wish him nothing that but the best for him.

But I really can't fathom honoring him at halftime by himself. Just doesn't rank up there in actual accomplishments.

swardboy
11/17/2010, 12:14 AM
I haven't looked at this thread since the night the special aired, mebbe the day after too. But when I read that Dupree gets to OK often and has a good relationship with Switzer and others, I felt like he's gotten due recognition for his all-to-brief exploits as a Sooner. Nothing more need be done.

NOVSooner
12/30/2010, 09:31 AM
the good rev thinks his image got tarnished:

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20101230/NEWS/12300344/Minister++ESPN+show+defamed+him

Dio
12/30/2010, 10:46 AM
the good rev thinks his image got tarnished:

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20101230/NEWS/12300344/Minister++ESPN+show+defamed+him

He must have spent all of Marcus' money already.

LakeRat
12/30/2010, 05:01 PM
I came to that conclusion about the Rev. from what he said. Not how he was portrayed. It was all interviews. How could you come to another conclusion?

85sooners
12/30/2010, 05:06 PM
F the rev