PDA

View Full Version : VON MILLER'S "CRAMPS"

Sooner70
11/9/2010, 07:11 AM
This ain't sour grapes as anybody who can't punch the ball over the goal line in 3 attempts doesn't deserve to win, but I'm wondering about something here.

I'm not a football technician, nor a conspiracy theory advocate BUT.....

Does anybody else find Von Miller's repeated late game "cramps" problem kinda fishy?

Here's where I'm coming from. First of all, I thought "Leg Cramps" was a hot weather, high humidity venue issue. The temperature was in 70's, cool evening and humidity less than 30%.

Secondly, it seemed odd to me that Von Miller experienced these "cramps" at a time when OU's offense was in super hurry up mode and maybe aTm's D had their tongue hanging out. So, we have a timing opportunity issue.

Thirdly, the repeated incidents. Believe there were three at least. Now, if I'm a coach at a critical juncture of the game, wouldn't I pull the guy out fearing he'd cramp up on critical coverage and leave a guy open for a TD? That didn't happen.

Fourthly, the length of time. Man, this guy was on the ground a long time. Conveniently for the Defense to catch their breath.

Lastly, the sideline shots I saw showed Von Miller on the bench reclining by himself after these on field "cramps" incidents. I would though if he was having those severe problems, some trainers woulda been working with him, hydrating, stretching, etc. Didn't see it.

Like I say, I may be missing something here. It sure seems to me that when a tired defense faces high gear hurry up offense that has them on their heels,
maybe their options get pretty limited on what to do to stop the train. Undoubtedly, these type injury delays do indeed break the momentum of the offense, especially if they're rolling, and may hand the advantage back to the defense. Just a thought.

Take it a step further.....are we sniffing of new rules here? i.e. if a player goes down with time out type injuries ....say 2 within X timeframe, then he's out for the quarter?

WreckingCrew08
11/9/2010, 07:46 AM
Aggie fan here. Kinda thought the injuries were either very well timed or very faked. Check out a couple SFA players doing the same thing against A&M earlier this season. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFojfG31enA) Probably just dehydrated but you never really know. Good game. A&M tries to give yall a good game each year (yes I remember 77-0) and even a blind squirrel finds a nut so I guess we were due. Dont worry about the loss, just gives yall a reason to play harder the rest of the season. Our turn around after RT replaced JJ should be a shining example that anything can happen.

Widescreen
11/9/2010, 08:09 AM
My biggest problem with it was that they took forever getting him off the field. Cart his butt to the sideline and then work on him.

AggieGirl2005
11/9/2010, 08:17 AM
If A&M were going to fake an injury, it wouldn't make sense have Von do it. He had to sit out a play after each one; if we needed to fake, wouldn't it make more sense to have someone other than our key defensive player? And the same person EVERY time? I'll look for a screen shot, but you could SEE the kid's calves tightened up. Looked painful. I'll agree they should have gotten him off earlier. And I don't know what you saw but I saw him downing those Gatorade condensed shots on the sideline.

He also had cramps during times we DIDN'T want the clock to stop. So yes, some were during times that killed your momentum and some were at times that were actually bad for us. I don't think he chose when the cramps hit.

TUSooner
11/9/2010, 08:35 AM
Homey does.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147223

Could be.

Sooners78
11/9/2010, 09:06 AM
If A&M were going to fake an injury, it wouldn't make sense have Von do it. He had to sit out a play after each one; if we needed to fake, wouldn't it make more sense to have someone other than our key defensive player? And the same person EVERY time? I'll look for a screen shot, but you could SEE the kid's calves tightened up. Looked painful. I'll agree they should have gotten him off earlier. And I don't know what you saw but I saw him downing those Gatorade condensed shots on the sideline.

He also had cramps during times we DIDN'T want the clock to stop. So yes, some were during times that killed your momentum and some were at times that were actually bad for us. I don't think he chose when the cramps hit.

Actually, if it was faked (and I'm not saying it was), it would make sense to do it that way to make it more believable. It conveniently took some pressure off the aggie defense. I know injuries are serious and I'm not minimizing them, but in that situation, there needs to be a hard rule: either take the player out for a certain amount of time, move him to the sideline to work on him, or charge the team a timeout. It's really not fair that the offense's entire gameplan suffers while the defense suffers no consequences.

All that being said, I'm not making excuses for OU's loss because we didn't deserve to win that game, and your defense played great.

Sooners78
11/9/2010, 09:10 AM
My biggest problem with it was that they took forever getting him off the field. Cart his butt to the sideline and then work on him.

That was my thought. It slowed us down when we really had something going offensively.

fwsooner22
11/9/2010, 09:13 AM
Von Miller takes plays off anyway....that's why it makes sense and worked.

AggieGirl2005
11/9/2010, 09:15 AM
Actually, if it was faked (and I'm not saying it was), it would make sense to do it that way to make it more believable. It conveniently took some pressure off the aggie defense. I know injuries are serious and I'm not minimizing them, but in that situation, there needs to be a hard rule: either take the player out for a certain amount of time, move him to the sideline to work on him, or charge the team a timeout. It's really not fair that the offense's entire gameplan suffers while the defense suffers no consequences.

All that being said, I'm not making excuses for OU's loss because we didn't deserve to win that game, and your defense played great.

Agreed. I really don't think he faked them, but either way, it's not fair to the other team. And I don't think they should have been working on him on the field for as long as they did.

That was my thought. It slowed us down when we really had something going offensively.

But he also had cramps and caused the clock to stop when we REALLY wanted to run time out.

C&CDean
11/9/2010, 09:15 AM
1. We've already got a thread devoted to this topic.

2. Kevin Wilson coached Von Miller to cramp up.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/9/2010, 09:17 AM
Wow... seriously???

sooner518
11/9/2010, 09:25 AM
I dont really doubt that he was cramping up, but I do feel that if a player has multiple injuries in the same quarter or the same half that require him to come off the field, there should be some sort of penalty on his team, like making them burn a timeout or after the 2nd injury, making him sit out a certain number of plays.

Sooners78
11/9/2010, 09:26 AM
1. We've already got a thread devoted to this topic.

That thread is closed.

yermom
11/9/2010, 09:47 AM
after the first couple of time i said "i'm not clapping for him anymore"

Howzit
11/9/2010, 09:51 AM
I think you unfeeling bastards should be ashamed. step has told me time and again how excruciating menstrual cramps can be.

Of course, he could be faking it, too.

MeMyself&Me
11/9/2010, 09:51 AM
Actually, if it was faked (and I'm not saying it was), it would make sense to do it that way to make it more believable.

Actually, it doesn't make sense because it's not against the rules to fake an injury. If a player faked an injury, the coaches could walk over to him and if they decide enough time had been taken, just tell him "Ok son, that's enough for now" and he could jump up, jog off the field, and on the way tell the ref "Gotcha!" with a smile and there's not a thing anyone can do about it.

Now that's a bit extreme but I'm getting a bit tired of reading posts where people try to explain it as a way for aTm to make a faked injury more believable.

jagvocate
11/9/2010, 10:26 AM
My how the mighty Sooners have

3rdgensooner
11/9/2010, 10:29 AM
The only "cramping" I cared about that night took place on the Sooner side of the ball.

BigTime1
11/9/2010, 10:40 AM
True maybe they were faked but we were for sure having our own brain cramps...also gotta give the aggie fans on here their props for letting it even being an option that they werent true injuries

AggieGirl2005
11/9/2010, 10:44 AM
True maybe they were faked but we were for sure having our own brain cramps...also gotta give the aggie fans on here their props for letting it even being an option that they werent true injuries

gotta give the sooner fans on here their props for letting it even being an option that they were true injuries ;)

Football talk is no fun when doused with blatant homerism. That's why I'm on this board; it's one of the more reasonable football boards I've found. Some exceptions, but the usual is rational FB talk.

aero
11/9/2010, 10:45 AM
Seems like it wasn't just Miller. Seems like there was a rash of minor "injuries" in the 4th quarter. Just sayin. Maybe they should make a new rule that if a player goes out twice in the same possession he can't come back in until the possession changes. Or something like that.

AggieGirl2005
11/9/2010, 10:46 AM
Seems like it wasn't just Miller. Seems like there was a rash of minor "injuries" in the 4th quarter. Just sayin. Maybe they should make a new rule that if a player goes out twice in the same possession he can't come back in until the possession changes. Or something like that.

Both OU and A&M play hurry up offenses. We're #1 and #2 in most plays in a game, I believe. I think everyone was just exhausted on both sides of the ball, more than usual. It was like 2 games stuffed into one.

Widescreen
11/9/2010, 10:48 AM
Football talk is no fun when doused with blatant homerism. That's why I'm on this board; it's one of the more reasonable football boards I've found. Some exceptions, but the usual is rational FB talk.
Stick around. Your opinion will change. :)

Soonerwake
11/9/2010, 10:52 AM
I thought only women faked cramps?? :D

BigTime1
11/9/2010, 11:03 AM
women and lumberjacks(those were for sure faked)...didnt we have somebody cramp up a little I cant remember for sure but seems like it was Carter

cvsooner
11/9/2010, 01:38 PM
Lewis.

Okie35
11/9/2010, 01:51 PM
Lewis.

Once.

BigTime1
11/9/2010, 02:15 PM
yeah thats right it was TL...and I didnt say how many times I just remembered it happening

ddub0224
11/9/2010, 03:31 PM

headaches

TheHumanAlphabet
11/9/2010, 03:41 PM

Not to disagree, but Wow, can you see the problem with documenting and enforcing that.

If we had played like we should've, this would not be an issue. I mean 3 times in the red zone should be scores...

Can we get a game time out for Wilson's brain cramps?

Scott D
11/9/2010, 03:44 PM
fwiw, cramps aren't injuries they're being hurt.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/9/2010, 03:46 PM

They fake more than that when they're with STEP. :D

Scott D
11/9/2010, 03:49 PM
everyone does.

pweitkem
11/9/2010, 04:29 PM
I dont really doubt that he was cramping up, but I do feel that if a player has multiple injuries in the same quarter or the same half that require him to come off the field, there should be some sort of penalty on his team, like making them burn a timeout or after the 2nd injury, making him sit out a certain number of plays.

You're fired!
Sincerely, the Texas Tech Board of Regents.

I love the idea, but can you imagine the fallout from player's parents?

OU-HSV
11/9/2010, 08:06 PM

EXACTLY what I was saying during the game. I mean my gosh, get the guy off the field and get the game moving again. It was ridiculous

bent rider
11/9/2010, 08:33 PM
EXACTLY what I was saying during the game. I mean my gosh, get the guy off the field and get the game moving again. It was ridiculous

First two were cramps, third time he had busted a gut when he caught a glimpse of the T*****-KSU score.

OU-HSV
11/9/2010, 08:44 PM
First two were cramps, third time he had busted a gut when he caught a glimpse of the T*****-KSU score.

And the fourth??

Scott D
11/9/2010, 09:39 PM
he saw the colorado-kansas score

sooner518
11/9/2010, 09:41 PM
You're fired!
Sincerely, the Texas Tech Board of Regents.

I love the idea, but can you imagine the fallout from player's parents?

why would the parents be mad about it? if anything, it protects their kid from trying to play while hurt

TrophyCollector
11/9/2010, 11:02 PM

In other words, it gave Wilson to much time to think.

John Kochtoston
11/10/2010, 01:47 AM
I think you unfeeling bastards should be ashamed. step has told me time and again how excruciating menstrual cramps can be.

Of course, he could be faking it, too.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jh2DBymN1u0/TA6LuOunmcI/AAAAAAAABNw/E_o2FyxM8UA/s1600/school3.jpg

Shut up, Melon!