PDA

View Full Version : The Bush interview

walkoffsooner
11/8/2010, 09:25 PM
I had almost forgotten how big of a failure he was.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/8/2010, 09:27 PM
The guy's delusional. He can't understand why McCain didn't ask him to help with the campaign.

A Sooner in Texas
11/8/2010, 09:37 PM
The guy's delusional. He can't understand why McCain didn't ask him to help with the campaign.

No doubt he thinks he and McCain are besties (they just don't bring up South Carolina).

picasso
11/8/2010, 09:42 PM

Ditto that for Obama and last week.

KABOOKIE
11/8/2010, 09:47 PM
Hahaha another I hate GWB pillow biter party.

SicEmBaylor
11/8/2010, 09:51 PM
No doubt he thinks he and McCain are besties (they just don't bring up South Carolina).

Clearly? From the book it's clear they're not.

I think his point is that he was still popular with the far-right wing of the party and he could have been used to appeal to that wing of the party rather than tap someone like Sarah Palin for Veep to appeal to that wing.

In other words, he thinks he would have done a better job at turning out the base than Palin. That's the subtle subtext of what he was trying to get across...

picasso
11/8/2010, 09:52 PM
Hate the guy and his politics all you want but that was pretty classy what he said about not criticizing Obama.

Unlike Bubba and Jimmah.

soonerscuba
11/8/2010, 10:01 PM
Hate the guy and his politics all you want but that was pretty classy what he said about not criticizing Obama.

Unlike Bubba and Jimmah.I wasn't aware that Clinton had criticized Bush beyond standard decorum of ex-presidents, you can't expect one to not give an honest policy opinion if asked. Not saying you're wrong, just never heard about it. Jimmy Carter was ******tastic for what he said about Bush though, I'll surely give you that.

I've sort of turned a corner on Bush. He was and is an optimist of the first degree, arguably to the point of delusion, but I think he honestly did what he thought was best. I certainly respect his service, because it's clear that being president really succs

A Sooner in Texas
11/8/2010, 10:20 PM
Clearly? From the book it's clear they're not.

I think his point is that he was still popular with the far-right wing of the party and he could have been used to appeal to that wing of the party rather than tap someone like Sarah Palin for Veep to appeal to that wing.

In other words, he thinks he would have done a better job at turning out the base than Palin. That's the subtle subtext of what he was trying to get across...

Sic, I knew I could count on you to have already read the book. :D
I haven't, but I do know there must be a great deal of bitterness about what Bush's people did to McCain in 2000 in South Carolina - even though McCain endorsed him in 2004 while wearing a death's head grin.
But yes, Bush would have done a much better job at turning out the base than Mrs. Moose. And he will in 2012, if he so chooses.

85Sooner
11/8/2010, 10:25 PM
Did you all go to OU? Because if you all did. I will definitely steer my kids away from OU if that is the education they are producing today. The man did a lot wrong by trying to work with Democrats . Never trust a democrat ever. ever. ever. I have never met one who cares about this country more than himself. There are republicans that are the same way but I have never met a democrat who gave a damn about anyone but themselves for real.

85Sooner
11/8/2010, 10:26 PM

Unlike Bubba and Jimmah.

Yup..... democrats. Shoot em all and fast.

3rdgensooner
11/8/2010, 10:28 PM
I have never met a democrat who gave a damn about anyone but themselves for real.You don't get out much.

85Sooner
11/8/2010, 10:29 PM
You don't get out much.

I get out a lot bro. Either they don't give a damn about anyone but themselves or are stupid or badly educated. Take your pick.

3rdgensooner
11/8/2010, 10:31 PM
I get out a lot bro. Either they don't give a damn about anyone but themselves or are stupid or badly educated. Take your pick.
I'm not your or anyone else's bro.

Your blanket generalizations are beyond ridiculous.

soonerbub
11/8/2010, 10:33 PM
So was Reagan wrong for working w democrats? Would've been hard for him to do anything without them.

not to mention one of those "dims" he had to work with is the president of the school you just bashed

SOONER44EVER
11/8/2010, 11:01 PM
He still gets that look like where the &*^$ am I and what the $%#& is going on. :)

SOONER44EVER
11/8/2010, 11:04 PM
You don't get out much.

Heh!!

Collier11
11/8/2010, 11:19 PM
I thought it was a good interview and he was very forthcoming and honest about his failures and his successes.

Matt Lauer made a point about Bush when he was talking about Hurricane Katrina that I have always believed strongly, that is, no matter if you like Bush or his politics, up until Katrina he made strong and decisive decisions and did what he thought was right, even if people disagreed or hated him for it.

I still find it humorous that so many try to rail GW over the choice to go to Iraq even though the evidence at the time was so clear and he had Repubs and Dems alike agreeing with the evidence of WMDs...as soon as it was clear they werent there though the libs bailed which is cowardly

Ike
11/8/2010, 11:41 PM
I thought it was a good interview and he was very forthcoming and honest about his failures and his successes.

Matt Lauer made a point about Bush when he was talking about Hurricane Katrina that I have always believed strongly, that is, no matter if you like Bush or his politics, up until Katrina he made strong and decisive decisions and did what he thought was right, even if people disagreed or hated him for it.

I still find it humorous that so many try to rail GW over the choice to go to Iraq even though the evidence at the time was so clear and he had Repubs and Dems alike agreeing with the evidence of WMDs...as soon as it was clear they werent there though the libs bailed which is cowardly

For the record, I never thought the evidence was clear. All of itwas supposedly confidential. So confidential we had to keep it from the UN weapons inspectors (IIRC). At least until Powells speech at the UN. We got him to allow weapons inspectors back in, and it felt to me at the time that we weren't willing to give the inspectors the time they needed.

But then again, I distinctly remember that when the whole bit about getting Iraq to account for their weapons started happening, believing that we were 100% certain to go to war.

But that's just me. Obviously, I wasn't any more "in the know" than anyone else.

StoopTroup
11/8/2010, 11:41 PM
What many folks sometimes forget is that GWB's Father was the biggest Spook (CIA) in our Country prior to becoming President. The thing I've always thought was that GWB given the advantages of his upbringing and the fact his own Father had been President and the Director of the CIA....Well....he came off as a stumbling bumbling rehab'd idiot. The one thing I commend him for is that I think Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld tried to push him around when he was President and he stood up to them and politely explained who was in charge. The way he handled the Military even though his own service had been called to question was admirable. He was able to rally the American people behind our men and women who serve and make sure they knew we all were 100% behind them...and willing to help many of them with care packages while deployed. Making sure they weren't abused like what happen in an earlier War of ours didn't transpire under his watch. There have been some issues but nothing like 30 years ago...

President Obama is even younger and less ready than Bill Clinton was and I'm shocked he has been able to keep it together as well considering he's getting no help from from the party that was responsible for starting both the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. I know he thought he could get us out of both those places and possibly find OBL and score one for the good guys...but it's apparent that maybe even with the help of the Republicans and the Military...we're going to be involved for years and each and every one of us are going to sit here and watch more of our tax dollars get poured into it and our Sons and Daughters will continue to not only be in harms way...but the generations to come will be made to pay for it because politicians don't want to give him credit for wrapping it up and bringing our Military Home. The Pakistanis are playing both sides of the coin and the trip to India was probably to help keep them from getting cross with Pakistanis and to keep from creating an even worse environment over there for the State Dept. All the while...the news media announces how much money is being wasted having our President go there. No one takes 2 seconds to think there is possibly a good reason for it all because it's more fun to help Fox News convince people that everyone in the current administration are communists and are trying to create a cancerous revolution within our Government that only a few people who can't recite the first line of the Constitution can fix by beginning a grass roots revolution of their own based on the Boston Tea Party.

George once said that he hoped his time as President would be viewed well by History. Evidently he felt some things needed to come out into the open to help straighten out some misconceptions...or maybe he just needed to try and clear his conscience a bit.

StoopTroup
11/9/2010, 12:46 AM
I didn't know about the Bio-terror attack at the White House. Pretty wild the way he kind of treats it as "Yeah That was pretty wild that we all were sitting around waiting for some mice to die to find out if we were all gonna die".

A Sooner in Texas
11/9/2010, 01:16 AM
Did you all go to OU? Because if you all did. I will definitely steer my kids away from OU if that is the education they are producing today. The man did a lot wrong by trying to work with Democrats . Never trust a democrat ever. ever. ever. I have never met one who cares about this country more than himself. There are republicans that are the same way but I have never met a democrat who gave a damn about anyone but themselves for real.

This is beyond stupid. Perhaps your children will get a very fine education wherever they are, as long as it's away from your hatred.

tommieharris91
11/9/2010, 01:17 AM

You might wanna send them to a nice Christian school out in the middle of nowhere then. I hear there's a huge demand for theologians and philosophers these days. Maybe they can run for office when they are finished with school.

Leroy Lizard
11/9/2010, 01:55 AM

Unlike Bubba and Jimmah.

Despite his inadequacies, GWB has always played it pretty cool when it comes to remarking on his opponents. in all, he's pretty classy. I remember the time they asked him about his Democratic challenger's Vietnam record, and GWB said "he has an excellent record; he should be proud of it."

StoopTroup
11/9/2010, 10:37 AM
I'm thinking some folks might not get a good deal on a TV if they show their voter ID card....lol

OklahomaTuba
11/9/2010, 10:42 AM
W killed more terrorists than any man in history...He kept the "sex crazed poodle" & Thurston Heinz II out of the Whitehouse.

It's gotta be just killing the libz to see W say, "I did what ever it took to keep there from being another attack. And we didn't have one."

Meanwhile, Barry tells us we can just "absorb" another attack.

OklahomaTuba
11/9/2010, 10:43 AM
I did notice that Bush said "I love America" in his closing remarks on this.

Has Obama ever said that?

StoopTroup
11/9/2010, 11:17 AM
I did notice that Bush said "I love America" in his closing remarks on this.

Has Obama ever said that?

"Thank You...God Bless you and God Bless the United States of America!"

It's not those exact words but I'm pretty sure he didn't laugh at everyone for voting him into office and take a big dump on the stage and wipe his *** with the flag.

dYSvchqxMM0&feature=related

tommieharris91
11/9/2010, 11:43 AM
That speech has a liberal bias because it was broadcast on msnbc.

Collier11
11/9/2010, 11:48 AM
I dont know Stoop, I think I saw him do those things one time

3rdgensooner
11/9/2010, 11:52 AM
That speech has a liberal bias because it was broadcast on msnbc.
You know who else was broadcast on msnbc?

Eva Braun

RACHEL MADDOW is my clone
11/9/2010, 12:05 PM
You know who else was broadcast on msnbc?

Eva Braun

Me too!

StoopTroup
11/9/2010, 12:30 PM
I dont know Stoop, I think I saw him do those things one time

who?

badger
11/9/2010, 12:30 PM
While you all were watching the real W. we (NP and I) watched the fake W. in Harold and Kumar Escape Guantanamo Bay (both Harold/Kumar movies are awesome if you haven't seen them).

He might not go down as one of the great presidents or get immortalized on a remote South Dakota mountainside or on the coins kiddos crush on railroad tracks, but as the fake W. portrayed, he seems like he would be a fun guy to have a beer with (or smoke a joint, if that's your thing).

texaspokieokie
11/9/2010, 04:17 PM
i agree, & i bet you could say the same about Bill Clinton.

76soonergrad
11/9/2010, 05:35 PM
I liked his Supreme Court picks.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/9/2010, 05:52 PM
Hahaha another I hate GWB pillow biter party.but..but, but it's Stirring Intellectual Excellence!

PDXsooner
11/9/2010, 07:21 PM

Do me a favor: Let me know where you send your kids to school, because I'll make sure I and every sane person in the world steer our kids (and ourselves) clear of them. If they were raised by someone as retarded as you, they're in trouble.

SouthCarolinaSooner
11/10/2010, 05:25 PM
This is. The most. Ridiculous post. I've seen.

bigfatjerk
11/12/2010, 11:52 AM
I don't really care for Bush. I don't get why the left hates him. He did more to expand the government than any president in the last 40 years or so.

GDC
11/12/2010, 12:00 PM
That new Devon tower in OKC is really coming along.

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=19584

tommieharris91
11/12/2010, 12:23 PM
I don't really care for Bush. I don't get why the left hates him. He did more to expand the government than any president in the last 40 years or so.

Let's start with tax cuts for the top income level...

bigfatjerk
11/12/2010, 01:03 PM
Because of it's code the tax cuts have given more power to the government then anything else. I'm not against raising taxes if we simplify the tax code and take out deductions for unions and corporations. Have a tax code something like 10, 20, 30% This would actually raise taxes for most Americans. Lower for some. But it would bring in a lot more revenues.

We need to cut spending in all entitlements and frankly we need to eventually phase out all entitlements and replace them with private companies, this would probably have to take a couple generations. But we can't pay for entitlements in the long term. There's 300 million people. We are going to get into a situation where nobody will want to pay for anything and then the government will fall apart because they can't pay for 300 million people. That shouldn't be expected of any government.

Last on military spending get out of Europe. We have roughly 100k troops in Europe. Why? I know it's probably unrealistic at this point to get out of the Middle East or Korea. We've been in Korea over 60 years now.

GrapevineSooner
11/12/2010, 01:58 PM
Because of it's code the tax cuts have given more power to the government then anything else. I'm not against raising taxes if we simplify the tax code and take out deductions for unions and corporations. Have a tax code something like 10, 20, 30% This would actually raise taxes for most Americans. Lower for some. But it would bring in a lot more revenues.

We need to cut spending in all entitlements and frankly we need to eventually phase out all entitlements and replace them with private companies, this would probably have to take a couple generations. But we can't pay for entitlements in the long term. There's 300 million people. We are going to get into a situation where nobody will want to pay for anything and then the government will fall apart because they can't pay for 300 million people. That shouldn't be expected of any government.

Last on military spending get out of Europe. We have roughly 100k troops in Europe. Why? I know it's probably unrealistic at this point to get out of the Middle East or Korea. We've been in Korea over 60 years now.

You've hit the nail on the head.

Everybody's for spending cuts until it's their department where spending cuts are proposed.

Doesn't matter if it's Social Security, Medicare, or the Military.

OklaPony
11/12/2010, 05:37 PM
...He might not go down as one of the great presidents or get immortalized on a remote South Dakota mountainside or on the coins kiddos crush on railroad tracks, but as the fake W. portrayed, he seems like he would be a fun guy to have a beer with (or smoke a joint, if that's your thing).

i agree, & i bet you could say the same about Bill Clinton.
I think Slick was more into cocaine.

AlboSooner
11/12/2010, 06:47 PM
There are things I like about W and things I dislike about W. He never struck me as an evil person, but he did lead us in a war we had no business fighting.