PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on offense

lasooner123
11/8/2010, 05:32 PM
So i am going to give my basic offensive philosophy.
Yesterday i made a thread about wanting some changes and offense was one of them. I had mentioned wanting a coach with more of an nfl background and one poster said i was just living a little fantasy so ill clarify my thoughts a bit.
My idea of a good offense is a team that controls the clock. They control the line of scrimmage. They have low turnover ratios. They can get A TOUCHDOWN FROM A YARD OUT. This is more of an nfl type offense. The problem with the offense we run now is having a qb like landry and offensive linemen like we do doesnt allow for the offense to run at an optimum. Sure any offense looks great with a younger murray, a heisman trophy winning qb, a few nfl linemen and the others very solid, and a handful of sure handed wrs that can get open. the fact of the matter is not every qb is sam bradford.

With an offense like say alabamas you dont need a great qb and you still can win games. (ppl plz dont talk about bama having 2 losses this yr too) with an offense like bamas you dont have to play great offense every game and your defense can keep you in the game. What i mean by this is they arent on the field the entire game like our offense allows. most of our drives are 3 minutes or less. rarely do we have a prolonged 8-9 minute drive that keeps the other offense off the field and allows our defense to rest. Its not a coincidence why teams that score a lot of pts almost ALWAYS give up a bunch of pts too.

Even if you look at the offense that we had under say paul thompson, it was allowed to function with a wr and we still got to the big 12 and eventually a bcs. landry isnt necessarily the problem, but what he is asked to do is the problem. there is no reason why he should be throwing the ball 60 times a game are you kidding me. if we had an offense that controlled the line of scrimmage we could utilize play action and find wrs that way instead of this oh lets throw nothing but screens this game thatll trick them.

if you need me to further explain or make my pt clear ask cause im sure 90 percent will bash me and say to look at the 08 yr but oh well

Scott D
11/8/2010, 05:33 PM
look at 1999 - 2009

stoops the eternal pimp
11/8/2010, 05:34 PM
soo...can you summarize that in less words?

not you scott, the other guy...

jumperstop
11/8/2010, 05:39 PM
So the reason aTm shut us out in the first half is cause we scored so quick?

SoonerAtKU
11/8/2010, 05:40 PM
Wait, how is this offense and this team not in the position to potentially win the Big XII and get to a BCS game?

Maybe I'm missing something...

fwsooner22
11/8/2010, 05:44 PM
I like Landry but you can't miss throws for wide open receivers and you CANT be scared. I hope we have something better in the wings or he matures because we are getting better in other areas. He has to do his part. As always the Offensive Line has to be able to take over games at times. That doesn't happen.

Saturday was sad but another game we could have won and should have found a way to win. That's what makes championship season magical. You win those types of games. Right now we are not capable. It's not the offense we run it's how we execute it. We are above average.

Scott D
11/8/2010, 06:27 PM
and I was looking forward to the challenge of something of fewer words than "1999 - 2009" :D

lasooner123
11/8/2010, 06:42 PM
So the reason aTm shut us out in the first half is cause we scored so quick?

didnt say the offense scored quickly....said didnt hold the ball long. ie score quick or 3 and out

lasooner123
11/8/2010, 06:44 PM
Wait, how is this offense and this team not in the position to potentially win the Big XII and get to a BCS game?

Maybe I'm missing something...

are you happy with scoring 17 pts and not being able to score from the one yard line? i would say theres about a 4 percent chance we got to a bcs bowl. The offense we have sux. look at last yr. either run it effectively or its completely worthless. we havent run it effectively on the road

sane
11/8/2010, 07:42 PM
‎"http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fire-Coach-Kevin-Wilson/164123543619715

8timechamps
11/8/2010, 07:53 PM
Saturday was sad but another game we could have won and should have found a way to win. That's what makes championship season magical. You win those types of games.

That pretty much sums it up. In both our losses, we had plenty of opportunity to win. It comes down to making those plays. We're so young, and those are the things that will develop over the next year or so.

At least that's what keeps going....:P

lasooner123
11/8/2010, 08:34 PM
That pretty much sums it up. In both our losses, we had plenty of opportunity to win. It comes down to making those plays. We're so young, and those are the things that will develop over the next year or so.

At least that's what keeps going....:P

the problem is half our wins have been the same story. you can pull a couple out every yr but every game cant be within 7 pts.

another problem with that is theoretically almost every game a few plays here or there could determine the outcome

another problem with that is that this has been a trend for us in every road game the last few years