PDA

View Full Version : At least we're finally being honest about it

The
11/8/2010, 02:23 PM
Martin Erzinger, Morgan Stanley Wealth Manager, Won't Face Felony Charges For Hit-And-Run (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/08/martin-erzinger-morgan-stanley-hit-and-run-_n_780294.html)

A Morgan Stanley wealth manager will not face felony charges for a hit-and-run because Colorado prosecutors don't want him to lose his job.
Martin Joel Erzinger, who manages more than $1 billion in assets for Morgan Stanley in Denver, is being accused only of a misdemeanor for allegedly driving his Mercedes into a cyclist and then fleeing the scene, Colorado's Vail Daily (http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20101104/NEWS/101109939/1078&ParentProfile=1062) reports. The victim, Dr. Steven Milo, whom Erzinger allegedly hit in July, suffered spinal cord injuries, bleeding from his brain and, according to his lawyer Harold Haddon, "lifetime pain."
But District Attorney Mark Hurlbert says it wouldn't be wise to prosecute Erzinger -- doing so might hurt his source of income. Here's Vail Daily:
"Felony convictions have some pretty serious job implications for someone in Mr. Erzinger's profession, and that entered into it," Hurlbert said. "When you're talking about restitution, you don't want to take away his ability to pay." "We have talked with Mr. Haddon and we had their objections, but ultimately it's our call," Hurlbert said.
Milo, who lives in New York City with his wife and kids, is furious about the dropped charges, Vail Daily says. The doctor's line of work, like Erzinger's, has been threatened by the incident. "His ability to deal with the physical challenges of his profession -- liver transplant surgery -- has been seriously jeopardized," Haddon, Milo's lawyer, said. Here's Milo, from the Vail Daily:
"Mr. Erzinger struck me, fled and left me for dead on the highway," Milo wrote. "Neither his financial prominence nor my financial situation should be factors in your prosecution of this case."Reuters' Felix Salmon (http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2010/11/08/how-to-buy-your-way-out-of-a-felony-charge/) compares the dropped charges to the kind of financial invulnerability that bankers felt in the years leading up to the financial crisis:
No matter how egregious their behavior, financiers knew that they would end up wealthy and comfortable. That, in turn, made it much easier to overcome their natural risk aversion. [...]
Story continues below

Advertisement

Erzinger has bought his way out of a felony charge, over the strenuous objections of his victim; it's very unlikely that online petitions will do any good at this point. Just another thing to add to the list of things that money can buy, I suppose.
The bicycling blog Abandon Your Car (http://south-routt-velosport.blogspot.com/2010/11/q-when-is-felony-hit-and-run-only.html), which includes an online petition, calls the incident "one of the most disturbing, and indeed disgusting, miscarriages of justice in my recent memory."
Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/martin-joel-erzinger-morgan-stanley-private-wealth-manager-hit-and-run-in-denver-2010-11), for its part, defends Erzinger, saying that due to restitution payments, he "might be working for the rest of his life and giving much of his paycheck to the victim."
Morgan Stanley told The Huffington Post that they are aware of the situation and stressed that it was separate from Erzinger's proffesional role.
"This unfortunate situation was not related to the individual's professional activities, but we are continuing to monitor the situation and will cooperate fully with law enforcement, if requested," said a Morgan Stanley representative.

NormanPride
11/8/2010, 02:44 PM
Can't Milo go after the DA in this case?

Leroy Lizard
11/8/2010, 03:27 PM
So why is the lady blindfolded?

http://sanlorenzolibrary.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/scales-of-justice.gif

The
11/8/2010, 03:28 PM
So why is the lady blindfolded?

She's about to get raepd?

Wishboned
11/8/2010, 04:00 PM
I read about this yesterday on another news site.

My favorite part on the other site was this...

Erzinger fled the scene and was arrested later, police say. He drove until he reached a Pizza Hut parking lot, where he stopped and called Mercedes auto assistance to report the damage to his vehicle.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1327323/Morgan-Stanley-financial-adviser-escapes-felony-charges-hit-run-jeopardise-job.html#ixzz14j7uRsUZ

I sure hope his car is okay.

Leroy Lizard
11/8/2010, 04:18 PM

Maybe they can get the blood stains out with Bon Ami.

Bourbon St Sooner
11/8/2010, 04:23 PM
Another bankster gets away with (almost) murder. Shocking!

Seriously, if you hung the guy up from the nearest lamp post, would that impede his ability to make an income?

Scott D
11/8/2010, 04:28 PM
in this case she should be blindfolded with her hand out beckoning for the stacks of cash.

landrun
11/9/2010, 11:02 PM
Can't Milo go after the DA in this case?

I too would like to know the answer to this question?

Any of you legal know-it-alls want to tell us if this is a possibility? :confused:

AlbqSooner
11/9/2010, 11:12 PM
District Attorneys are absolutely immune from suit for actions taken, or not taken, in their official capacity. Even if you can prove that the DA acted with actual malice against you, they are immune from suit.

AlbqSooner
11/9/2010, 11:13 PM
Interesting that the DA essentially took the Congressional approach to evaluating the case. Mr. Erzinger was just too big to fail.

Scott D
11/9/2010, 11:18 PM
So the idea here was that the DA chose not to prosecute on the premise that the victim of this case could pursue a civil case because it might make less of an overall impact to the company?

Leroy Lizard
11/10/2010, 03:37 AM
District Attorneys are absolutely immune from suit for actions taken, or not taken, in their official capacity. Even if you can prove that the DA acted with actual malice against you, they are immune from suit.

By "going after him," I think the original poster meant, "can someone run him over in the parking lot?"

XingTheRubicon
11/10/2010, 08:44 AM

Hey, you scratched my anchor.

LosAngelesSooner
11/10/2010, 02:49 PM
It is about time that a few citizens started taking out some of these big business types who get away with breaking the law and flaunt it.

stoopified
11/10/2010, 03:36 PM
I hope at the very least HALF of all this guy's earnings go to the victim.Just me but doesn't go to prison hurt everybody's earning potential? I mean even a burger jockey makes more than the 75 cents an hour you make stamping out licenseplates at the Big House

yermom
11/10/2010, 03:55 PM
if the idea is that the victim can't get much civil money from a guy in prison, then i kinda like it, as long as he doesn't strangely start making like 1/10th of his previous income