Florida- 3 Conf titles, 2 Natl title app, 2 Natl titles, Three 11 win seasons

USC- 6 Conf titles, 2 Natl title app, 1 natl title, Six 11 win seasons

Neb- 1 Conf title, 1 Natl title app, 0 Natl titles, Two 11 win seasons

Penn St- 2 Conf titles, 0 Natl title app, 0 Natl titles, Three 11 win seasons

Michigan- 3 Conf titles, 0 Natl title app, 0 Natl titles, One 11 win season

Florida St- 5 Conf titles, 2 Natl title app, 1 Natl title, Two 11 win seaons

Va Tech- 4 Conf titles, 1 Natl title app, 0 Natl titles, Four 11 win seasons

Georgia- 2 Conf titles, 0 Natl title app, 0 Natl titles, Two 11 win seasons

We are either tied or lead in 3 of those 4 categories folks. These are the best of the best, the powerhouse programs in college football over the last 11 seasons and most of them are powerhouse programs All Time.

So ask yourself, should we expect to play for natl titles- YES
Should we expect Conf titles- YES

Is it a given- Hell No

Some of you act like other programs arent allowed to have good days or we arent allowed to have bad days.

We are easily A top 4 most consistent program in the nation in the last 11 years, if not #1. Things ARENT that bad...we cant win it all every year. When you feel the need to bitch n moan, think about it first before going off the deep end.

Im not saying dont be disappointed in negative results or losing games we shoulda won, what im saying is take a look at what Stoops has done and place it in the proper perspective.

We may well win 11 games again this year, we may well win another conf title, we are gonna be loaded next year. Our down years are dream seasons for about 70 or 80 D1 programs.

Leroy Lizard
11/8/2010, 03:26 AM
Eight 11-win seasons? I thought that you had screwed it up so I went and checked. Yep, eight.

Wow. Does any coach have more? (A little unfair since we play more games now, but still.)

EDIT: The Bear had 10. Switzer had 7. Joe Pa had 16. Not sure about others.

Collier11
11/8/2010, 03:28 AM
Not since Stoops has been around

Crucifax Autumn
11/8/2010, 03:51 AM
We're awesome.

CrimsonRez
11/8/2010, 04:29 AM
I love being awesome :D

Jacie
11/8/2010, 07:24 AM
My most vivid memory from John Blake's final season, Sooner fans hoping for an OU loss to Tech (we won anyway) so his contract would not be renewed . . .

brainpimp
11/8/2010, 08:11 AM
Wow setting the bar a bit low huh.
If you quit striving for excellence, you will never get it.
Bob has a problem and until you acknowledge you have a problem you can't fix it.

Bob has some weird "the first rule of fight club" thing going on.

dwarthog
11/8/2010, 08:26 AM
I got some buds that are long time fans of a school up in South Bend, which has just a wee bit of football history with it's program, who would give their left nuts to have Stoops as coach.

sooner518
11/8/2010, 09:04 AM
Wow setting the bar a bit low huh.
If you quit striving for excellence, you will never get it.
Bob has a problem and until you acknowledge you have a problem you can't fix it.

Bob has some weird "the first rule of fight club" thing going on.

The point is, people like you, who can be shown actual results and the fact that out of all those stats up there, OU's are probably the best overall, and you still want to ****-can the coach.

Obviously he's not gonna be perfect and there are problems with our team, espeically on the road, but theres not another coach in the country I'd rather have. The only other coach you could possibly mention as maybe, MAYBE, being better than Stoops are Saban and Urban, and theyre not exactly blowing the roof off the BCS this year.

TUSooner
11/8/2010, 09:16 AM
Yes, but we are willing destroy the good in the vain pursuit of perfection!!

;)

SoonerinSouthlake
11/8/2010, 09:23 AM
How dare you show facts!

The mission of this board should be, without a doubt, to get Gary Patterson up here as quick as possible so that we can get some seasons together that are worthy of our expectations (EVERY SINGLE YEAR)

soonercastor
11/8/2010, 09:26 AM
*cough* Hawkins *caugh*

Haven't turned sarcasm-meter on yet this morning.

soonervegas
11/8/2010, 09:32 AM
Your talking reason......we don't take kindly to that around here.

fadada1
11/8/2010, 09:47 AM
My most vivid memory from John Blake's final season, Sooner fans hoping for an OU loss to Tech (we won anyway) so his contract would not be renewed . . .

blake barely had an 11 win career at OU, let alone a single season.

tcrb
11/8/2010, 09:59 AM
Stoops is certainly the guy that I want as head coach. I trust that he is among the best at recruiting and developing talent. But I think the reason alot of folks bitch is because some of those 11 win seasons could have been NC's.

Fraggle145
11/8/2010, 11:10 AM
The only thing that I am tired of is being the marquee win for the upstart program or the proof that such and such program is on it's way back to the top.

I get it we are awesome and this comes with the territory... But there is a reason they arent just called upsets anymore. They are happening with more frequency.

soonerchk
11/8/2010, 11:17 AM
Please ban Collier for using logic when the sky is falling.

oumartin
11/8/2010, 11:29 AM
Ultimately you are judged on big games. Stoops and his staff, his squad have been greatly underwhelming in those.

Why do people respect Nick Saban(great defenses and two NC)
Urban Meyer (2 NC's)

Both of these coaches have won one of their NC's at the expense of stoops.

I love Bob, Bob needs to not be so afraid of change. It's one thing losing to a team that has the same type athlete as you. It's not good to lose to teams you should be beating. Yes it happens on occasssion but you take this team outta Norman and in all likeliness they are gonna get beat and often by teams that don't belong on the field with them. An occassional upset. Getting owned by teams that you are clearly better than. NOT COOL

Thats my problem.

LRoss
11/8/2010, 11:35 AM
Here are the stats that were LEFT OFF of the original post --

In that same time, OU LEADS THE NATION in LOSSES in the MNC!!! And it's not even close! We LEAD the NATION in LOSSES!!!

And number two -- we're the ONLY team in the NATION that lost at A&M on Saturday night! EVERY other team --including FCS, high school, junior high, pop warner -- was able to side-step that disaster. Why is it ALWAYS OUr team that loses games on OUr schedule?

Note in all seriousness -- as far as losing to teams that we "should" beat -- I agree it's discouraging. But as blessed as I am to be a Sooner fan, I'm equally cursed to be a Lions fan. The Lions aren't "supposed" to beat anybody. They're the worst team on everybody's schedule. But (except for '08, the only time in the history of the 16 game schedule that it's happened for ANY team), they win a couple/few. So I know what it's like to win games that you're not "supposed" to win, and it's fun. BUT the price is never expecting to win and wishing that winning could be commonplace and losing was disappointing instead of the other way around. Most/many years (like this year), OU may well be the best team on their schedule, meaning we're "supposed" or expcted to win every game. That's great and beats the pants off being a Lions fan, BUT the price is every win is just taking care of business and every loss is a terrible failure with superior talent.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/8/2010, 11:41 AM
Ultimately you are judged on big games. Stoops and his staff, his squad have been greatly underwhelming in those.

Why do people respect Nick Saban(great defenses and two NC)
Urban Meyer (2 NC's)

Both of these coaches have won one of their NC's at the expense of stoops.

I love Bob, Bob needs to not be so afraid of change. It's one thing losing to a team that has the same type athlete as you. It's not good to lose to teams you should be beating. Yes it happens on occasssion but you take this team outta Norman and in all likeliness they are gonna get beat and often by teams that don't belong on the field with them. An occassional upset. Getting owned by teams that you are clearly better than. NOT COOL

Thats my problem.

heh, both urban meyer and nick saban won 2 NCs with someone else's players. just like stoops won one.

it took tom osborne near 20 years to get his 1st NC
it took bobby bowden about the same. how many times did he lose to mississippi state on the way? crap happens when you turn the ball over.

i should pull up my post where i cringed when i saw our schedule. sometimes you have a shot and the schedule plays against you. football is nothing like basketball where the number 1 seed will have 2 losses (most likely on the road, hmm).

Leroy Lizard
11/8/2010, 11:43 AM
Here are the stats that were LEFT OFF of the original post --

In that same time, OU LEADS THE NATION in LOSSES in the MNC!!! And it's not even close! We LEAD the NATION in LOSSES!!!

I had a friend who was a big New Mexico State fan and he used to throw that in my face all the time. I... I...I didn't know what to say."

soonerchk
11/8/2010, 11:58 AM
And number two -- we're the ONLY team in the NATION that lost at A&M on Saturday night!

Well yeah, but we were also the only other team playing there on Saturday night. Everyone else who lost had to go lose elsewhere.

LRoss
11/8/2010, 12:35 PM
soonerchk, I bow to your reasonable and coherent response, if not your sarcasm detection skills. There's something beautiful and innocent about being in that place, and I really mean that with no sarcasm at all.

Leroy, although of course it's true, that was meant in jest as well. It's the "find the dark horizon around the beautiful sunny sky" mentality. And as for "can't/doesn't win the big one," I think that's garbage too. I'm sure people in Missouri have said that about their coach -- sure they've beaten up on North division teams, but when the chips are down against OU in a big game or even the B12CG, THEN he can't get it done! You simply don't get to the biggEST game without winning a LOT of big games along the way. 6 B12 Championships? Those are some big games! Winning record against Texas? Those are some big games! 1-3 in the MNC and some other assorted bowl losses? Of course we all wish that it could be better but I think it's more indicative of a good coach -- who's won a lot of big games -- than 1-0, 1-1, or 1-2.

agoo758
11/8/2010, 12:37 PM
Good post man, though I will go ahead and tell you that Ohio State had three national championship appearances and not two.

Leroy Lizard
11/8/2010, 12:37 PM
Well yeah, but we were also the only other team playing there on Saturday night. Everyone else who lost had to go lose elsewhere.

It just goes to show that you got to get up pretty early in the morning to get one past ole' soonerchk.

Collier11
11/8/2010, 01:19 PM
The only thing that I am tired of is being the marquee win for the upstart program or the proof that such and such program is on it's way back to the top.

I get it we are awesome and this comes with the territory... But there is a reason they arent just called upsets anymore. They are happening with more frequency.

They arent called upsets anymore because recruiting is leveling out...you dont have to go to OU anymore to get on Natl tv or have a shot at the NFL. Parody is a real thing

btb916
11/8/2010, 01:26 PM
Great post...I posted something similar in the "stoops isn't a top 5 coach thread" a week or two back. I agree that perspective is key here.

SoonerinSouthlake
11/8/2010, 01:31 PM
*cough* Hawkins *caugh*

Haven't turned sarcasm-meter on yet this morning.

...:) sorry....I should know better than to fire off sarcasm before Ive given everyone a chance to have their coffee.

texaspokieokie
11/9/2010, 09:51 AM
Eight 11-win seasons? I thought that you had screwed it up so I went and checked. Yep, eight.

Wow. Does any coach have more? (A little unfair since we play more games now, but still.)

EDIT: The Bear had 10. Switzer had 7. Joe Pa had 16. Not sure about others.

"Bear did it mostly in 11 games,counting bowls.
Barry did it in 12 game seasons, including bowl.

didn't start 11 game seasons until 1970.

Leroy Lizard
11/9/2010, 11:33 AM
"Bear did it mostly in 11 games,counting bowls.
Barry did it in 12 game seasons, including bowl.

didn't start 11 game seasons until 1970.

Bear's Kentucky team went 11-1.

Other than that, Bear only had one other 11-win season before 1970.

pappy
11/9/2010, 04:15 PM
Not counting this season since it isnt over yet so 11 seasons

OU- 6 Conf titles, 4 natl title appearances, 1 Natl title, Eight 11 win seasons

tex- 2 Conf titles, 2 Natl title app, 1 Natl title, six 11 wins seasons

Ohio St- 6 Conf titles, 2 Natl title app, 1 Natl title, Five 11 win seasons

Alabama- 2 Conf titles, 1 Natl title app, 1 Natl title, One 11 win season

LSU- 3 conf titles, 2 Natl title app, 2 natl titles, Four 11 win seasons

We are either tied or lead in 3 of those 4 categories folks. These are the best of the best, the powerhouse programs in college football over the last 11 seasons and most of them are powerhouse programs All Time.

Is it a given- Hell No

Some of you act like other programs arent allowed to have good days or we arent allowed to have bad days.

We are easily A top 4 most consistent program in the nation in the last 11 years, if not #1. Things ARENT that bad...we cant win it all every year. When you feel the need to bitch n moan, think about it first before going off the deep end.

Im not saying dont be disappointed in negative results or losing games we shoulda won, what im saying is take a look at what Stoops has done and place it in the proper perspective.

We may well win 11 games again this year, we may well win another conf title, we are gonna be loaded next year. Our down years are dream seasons for about 70 or 80 D1 programs.

No offense but I didn't even read your whole post...I just read your info about other schools and OU's records and stats and before even looking it up I knew you were wrong. I'm not gonna look up other stats but you say alabama only has 1 11 win season in the last 11 years and they've had 2 the last 2 years and might get it this year. I know we're not including this year, but just saying. I quit reading your info after that.

pappy
11/9/2010, 04:18 PM
also alabama, lsu, florida, nebraska and michigan haven't had the same coach over the 11 year span.

Collier11
11/9/2010, 04:20 PM
Alabama win totals, you are right I left one year off...not sure what that has to do with the relevance of the numbers, the point still stands

99- 3
00- 10
01- 7
02- 10
03- 4
04- 6
05- 10
06- 6
07- 7
08- 12
09-14

and what does it matter if they had the same coach or not?

pappy
11/9/2010, 04:21 PM
pete carroll had 7 at suc and had 1 less year.

pappy
11/9/2010, 04:22 PM
Alabama win totals, you are right I left one year off...not sure what that has to do with the relevance of the numbers, the point still stands

99- 3
00- 10
01- 7
02- 10
03- 4
04- 6
05- 10
06- 6
07- 7
08- 12
09-14

and what does it matter if they had the same coach or not?

A lot matters between coaches example...stoops vs blake.

Collier11
11/9/2010, 04:24 PM
Its about consistency of the program, amazing consistency

and Carroll had 6, we dont count seasons in which your team was convicted of major violations and your wins were taken away...Cheating is cheating

pappy
11/9/2010, 04:31 PM
Its about consistency of the program, amazing consistency

and Carroll had 6, we dont count seasons in which your team was convicted of major violations and your wins were taken away...Cheating is cheating

ok okay I'll give you the cheating season. but consistency is consistency.

Also on coaches verse coaches this one isn't so much about stoops but on another thread people were comparing chris peterson to dan hawkins as if they're the same people and thus would have the same problems at a major conference school but...they've coached the same amount of time now at boise st minus a few more games this season and dan hawkins was 53-11 and never had an undefeated season.

Chris Peterson on the other hand is currently 57-4 and is currently working on his 3rd undefeated season and has won 2 out of 2 bcs bowl games.

So yeah coaching does make a difference.

Collier11
11/9/2010, 04:33 PM
Of course it does, my main point is to the people who are about to jump off of a cliff, they need to realize that under Stoops, we are and have been a top 5 program and we do things that no one else does

pappy
11/9/2010, 04:36 PM
I agree with you on keeping stoops and not getting rid of him. I'm all for getting rid of kw though and maybe bv. Sometimes change is good. We haven't really changed much up over the past few years except changing to a hurry up on offense but as for plays we have lost imagination especially in the red zone or short yardage plays. Eventually there is enough tape out on what you do that even teams that aren't as good as you can stop you. Especially when they're at home and are more fired up then when they're on the road.

Leroy Lizard
11/9/2010, 05:23 PM
I agree with you on keeping stoops and not getting rid of him. I'm all for getting rid of kw though and maybe bv. Sometimes change is good.

And sometimes change is bad.

Always_Sooner
11/9/2010, 05:25 PM
I am a Dallas Cowboys fan, and an avid OU fan, but seriously let's face it we are the Buffalo Bills of college football. Now I know how the Bills fans felt losing the Superbowl 4 years in a row.

pappy
11/9/2010, 09:09 PM
And sometimes change is bad.

Thanks Obama

stoopified
11/9/2010, 10:38 PM
Not counting this season since it isnt over yet so 11 seasons

OU- 6 Conf titles, 4 natl title appearances, 1 Natl title, Eight 11 win seasons

tex- 2 Conf titles, 2 Natl title app, 1 Natl title, six 11 wins seasons

Ohio St- 6 Conf titles, 2 Natl title app, 1 Natl title, Five 11 win seasons

Alabama- 2 Conf titles, 1 Natl title app, 1 Natl title, One 11 win season

LSU- 3 conf titles, 2 Natl title app, 2 natl titles, Four 11 win seasons

Is it a given- Hell No

We may well win 11 games again this year, we may well win another conf title, we are gonna be loaded next year. Our down years are dream seasons for about 70 or 80 D1 programs.Don't you realize Bob can't win on the road and THAT is all that matters. :D

MamaMia
11/9/2010, 11:16 PM
Being the sunshine pumper that I am, I think its perfectly fine to suck now since we've had good seasons; well until we get blown out in the whatever National Championship or BCS Bowl games, but that doesn't matter to me. Maybe we should pay our coaches more? That might help. :)

Leroy Lizard
11/10/2010, 03:38 AM
Thanks Obama

Dammit, why didn't I think of that?

Since71ASooner4Life
11/10/2010, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the post - some much needed perspective on this board

Now I wonder if those who criticize assistant coaches week in week out can explain how Bob Stoops could have such an impressive record, yet be completely in the dark about the incompetence of his assistants that is so obviousb to the experts here?

Leroy Lizard
11/10/2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the post - some much needed perspective on this board

Now I wonder if those who criticize assistant coaches week in week out can explain how Bob Stoops could have such an impressive record, yet be completely in the dark about the incompetence of his assistants that is so obviousb to the experts here?

You could ask that in a lot of football message boards. It's the same all over the country. I wouldn't mind being a coach. The money is good and I would love the challenge. But not the fans.