PDA

View Full Version : people need to quit talking about the last 10 years

lasooner123
11/7/2010, 06:36 PM
and start talking about the last 5. i think everyone in their right mind thinks stoops did an amzing job at the beginning but lets look at the last 5.

05 8-4
41-24 at ucla 45-12 against tx 23-21at tt and loss vs tcu
06 11-3
34-33 loss at oregon(cheated) 28-10 vs tx boise game
07 11-3
27-24 at colo 34-27 at tech 48-28 wvu
08 12-2
45-35 tx 24-14 florida
09 8-5
14-3 neutral byu 21-20 at miami 16-14 vs tx 10-3 at neb 41-13 at tech

hmm now lets look at some common trends.
1) 2-3 road losses/yr
2)we lose neutral site vs good teams(byu)
3) tx wins 4 of last 5
4) we struggle in bowl games especially the elite bowl games
5) recently weve see our offense get worse
6) we give up quite a few pts nowadays vs good teams..4 games givin over 40 in losses.

makes you wonder if we need to make some changes. 2 options.
1)stoops makes a decision to change his ways and fire someone
2)stoops leaves
over the last 5 yrs our team has obviously become stale and our coaches have lost their edge. stoops doesnt seem to have teh same pasion for winning but he still berates players for the tiniest mistakes. Many times our players seem to play nervous and not wanting to make a mistake. this is the same thing i see from our coaches. playing not to lose opposed to playing to win.
I see these other teams that play so hard and playing to win. Theyre not playing wreckless but are playing with so much energy and blitzing and pressuring the other team. it makes me wonder why we cant do the same.

toast
11/7/2010, 06:48 PM
I agree...let's talk about the mid to late 90's instead.

StoopTroup
11/7/2010, 06:56 PM
ESPN Classics will replay the oSu v whorns game from 11/03/07 Friday the 12th from 12pm to 2 pm That's the 38-35 poke choker at boones farm.

SoonerKnight
11/7/2010, 07:12 PM
and start talking about the last 5. i think everyone in their right mind thinks stoops did an amzing job at the beginning but lets look at the last 5.

05 8-4
06 11-3
07 11-3
08 12-2
45-35 tx 24-14 florida
09 8-5

hmm now lets look at some common trends.
1) 2-3 road losses/yr
2)we lose neutral site vs good teams(byu)
3) tx wins 4 of last 5 they have won 3 of the last 5 *******!!!
4) we struggle in bowl games especially the elite bowl games Going to the MNC 4 times kiss my as*!!
5) recently weve see our offense get worse
6) we give up quite a few pts nowadays vs good teams..4 games givin over 40 in losses.

makes you wonder if we need to make some changes. 2 options.
2)stoops leaves
over the last 5 yrs our team has obviously become stale and our coaches have lost their edge. stoops doesnt seem to have teh same pasion for winning but he still berates players for the tiniest mistakes. Many times our players seem to play nervous and not wanting to make a mistake. this is the same thing i see from our coaches. playing not to lose opposed to playing to win.
I see these other teams that play so hard and playing to win. Theyre not playing wreckless but are playing with so much energy and blitzing and pressuring the other team. it makes me wonder why we cant do the same.

Go away!! 35 posts!! Go to Bolivia!!!

proudsoonergal
11/7/2010, 07:27 PM
You're right. Stoops is horrible.

On a related note, I hear John Blake is available!!!! Let's bring him back!!!!

:rolleyes:

SouthFortySooner
11/7/2010, 07:52 PM
My girlfriend's cat left some puke on the treadmill. This thread reminded me of it.

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 08:01 PM
Hey, if you've only followed OU football since 2000, then Stoops' last five years do look pretty crummy.

PLaw
11/7/2010, 08:03 PM

05 8-4
06 11-3
07 11-3
08 12-2
45-35 tx 24-14 florida
09 8-5

Yep, an average of ten wins a year really sucks. As Barry said, "some folks are start life on third base and they think they hit a triple." You, sir, don't know how good you have it.

Against the Aggies, it was a total melt down coaches and players. Coaches put kids in the right place to make a play and the kids don't. Coaches have some hair brain calls that make them look stupid.

If not Bob, then who?? Really, who else would you want running this program? When it comes to character and integrity and kids getting degrees, I'll take Bob every day. Bob is doing it right, period.

BOOMER

lasooner123
11/7/2010, 08:04 PM
im not saying fire stoops. im saying we need to make changes in our staff. that doesnt necesarilly mean stoops.

lasooner123
11/7/2010, 08:05 PM
Go away!! 35 posts!! Go to Bolivia!!!

sorry i wasnt considering this yr as you can see in my post. i said we have struggled in bigtime bowls...not saying we dont make bigtime bowls

fadada1
11/7/2010, 08:09 PM

them's fightin' words.;)

StanberryWasIn
11/7/2010, 08:11 PM

First point I thought of. I remember in the 97-98 timeframe watching OU games and thinking I'd be pretty satisfied if we just didn't go out there and step on our d*cks every week.

toast
11/7/2010, 08:13 PM
First point I thought of. I remember in the 97-98 timeframe watching OU games and thinking I'd be pretty satisfied if we just didn't go out there and step on our d*cks every week.

I remember the placemat on the sidelines so that we could get the correct number of players on the field.

Iam4OUru
11/7/2010, 08:17 PM
Hey, if you've only followed OU football since 2000, then Stoops' last five years do look pretty crummy.

Amen!

delhalew
11/7/2010, 08:23 PM
You must have just discovered the oblong spheroid.

While I agree this goober should reside in Bolivia, I do hope Bob will eventually get pissed enough to light some fires under some Asses.

If that was OP's point...I suggest you find a better way of making it.

SouthFortySooner
11/7/2010, 08:24 PM
im not saying fire stoops. im saying we need to make changes in our staff. that doesnt necesarilly mean stoops.

My sincerest question to you is, who is listening?

OUthunder
11/7/2010, 08:32 PM
We need a pic of hand on forehead in this thread.

olevetonahill
11/7/2010, 08:40 PM
We need a pic of hand on forehead in this thread.

Here ya go :D
http://www.toddmckimmey.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/zoe_had_a_v8_sm.jpg

StoopTroup
11/7/2010, 08:44 PM
What about a hand grenade in a forehead?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SqhhJb_P3Kk/SsUPTsQolhI/AAAAAAAAJYg/5t6VUy6M2XY/s400/hand+grenade+in+forehead.jpg

bluedogok
11/7/2010, 08:49 PM
I still think it is a "be careful what you wish for thing" and drastic coaching changes from a good staff tends to make things worse. Until Stoops has pressure to make changes from the big money donors he is not going to much like what precipitated Mack "retiring" Carl Reese as Defensive Coordinator. I think a change could be a good thing but I don't see it happening, at times both Bob and Mack may be "too loyal" to their assistants and resistant to change. I think the only way the assistants go is if Bob goes.

Getting rid of good staffs for what looks better seems to backfire. Look at what firing Solich, Slocum, Gibbs and others who consistently had pretty good teams led to, typically a period of decline.

OU
1998 - Blake - 5-6
1997 - Blake - 4-8
1996 - Blake - 3-8
1995 - Schnellenberger - 5-5-1

Those four years after getting rid of Gibbs the record was 17-27-1 (37.8%) as opposed to the 44-23-2 record of Gibbs (65.2%). Frank Solich had a record of 58–19 (75.3%) his replacement went 27-22 (55.1%, Bill Callahan, 2004–2007). RC Slocum was 123-47-2 (71.5%) and his replacement went 32–28 (53.3%, Dennis Franchione, 2003-07). Lloyd Carr went 122–40 (75.3%) and RichRod has gone 14-19 (42.4%) since.

I am just a bit wary of calling for someones job when for the most part history shows that the changes tend not to get the results you want.

rm50
11/7/2010, 08:56 PM
I think the OP has made some very valid points and rather than putting him down it would be great to discuss them.

I have been a sooner fan for 43 year and always will be. That doesn't mean that I blindly follow them and I am happy with everything that happens on and off the field.

We were embarrassed by A&M last night with 12 plays on the goal line and no scores. Bob has gotten two consevative. I would love to have the Bob back that we hired 11 years ago

lasooner123
11/7/2010, 08:58 PM
personally i want an nfl type coach...harbaugh gruden cower or someone of the sort

soonercastor
11/7/2010, 09:02 PM
Why would you want to change the HC now? I think we need to change either OC/DC, not essentially because they are bad because at their best they are up there with any coordinator in the nation, but to shake things up and hope for a new dynamism. They've been there for too long and they seem content.

delhalew
11/7/2010, 09:02 PM
I think the OP has made some very valid points and rather than putting him down it would be great to discuss them.

I have been a sooner fan for 43 year and always will be. That doesn't mean that I blindly follow them and I am happy with everything that happens on and off the field.

We were embarrassed by A&M last night with 12 plays on the goal line and no scores. Bob has gotten two consevative. I would love to have the Bob back that we hired 11 years ago

Conservative? Stop it! Your making ME dumb. Comments like that are like the herpes...there is no coming back.

Bob is not the reason we were bland at the goal line.****wilson Bob is the one that goes for it on fourth and fakes kicks.

lasooner123
11/7/2010, 09:10 PM
Why would you want to change the HC now? I think we need to change either OC/DC, not essentially because they are bad because at their best they are up there with any coordinator in the nation, but to shake things up and hope for a new dynamism. They've been there for too long and they seem content.

wait where did i say i wanted stoops fired...that was one of the options if we want new blood and that is definitely true

soonercastor
11/7/2010, 09:13 PM
wait where did i say i wanted stoops fired...that was one of the options if we want new blood and that is definitely true

well u said "I want a NFL type coach." There can't be two coaches on the sidelines, so that would imply Stoops being fired.

delhalew
11/7/2010, 09:15 PM
#1personally i want an nfl type coach...harbaugh gruden cower or someone of the sort
#2makes you wonder if we need to make some changes. 2 options.
2)stoops leaves

That's twice dummy. If you can't understand what you are posting, how in the hell are you supposed to understand anyone else?

lasooner123
11/7/2010, 09:17 PM
well u said "I want a NFL type coach." There can't be two coaches on the sidelines, so that would imply Stoops being fired.

oh okay. that was my response to someone wondering who i would want if stoops were gone. originally i just said i want something to change in the coaching staff. stoops or assistants or both.

but i am not particularly fond of stoops as a coach the last 5 yrs. the studly 2008 yr aside

soonerhubs
11/7/2010, 09:17 PM
Spoiled *** bull ****! These threads are getting old. Anyone consider the fact that these kids are young and inexperienced? How close did that championship team come to losing on Kyle field in 2000?

In the last five years there was one national championship appearance along with a couple BCS bowl appearances coupled with a few conference championships.

Yep! The Soonerfootball staff must suck! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: It's Sunday, how much more rumination do you need?

lasooner123
11/7/2010, 09:22 PM
That's twice dummy. If you can't understand what you are posting, how in the hell are you supposed to understand anyone else?

ill explain it again.

i said makes you wonder if we need to make some changes to our coaching staff. two options. stoops fires someone or he leaves. Thats a fact. only way you can make changes is by people leaving. i never said i wanted stoops gone(although at this pt thats a change i wouldnt necessarily be opposed to depending on who comes in)

me listing those guys with an nfl background was a response to someone saying who else would i want...

no need for personal insults like calling me a dummy. why cant we debate at a more educated level.

lasooner123
11/7/2010, 09:24 PM
Spoiled *** bull ****! These threads are getting old. Anyone consider the fact that these kids are young and inexperienced? How close did that championship team come to losing on Kyle field in 2000?

In the last five years there was one national championship appearance along with a couple BCS bowl appearances coupled with a few conference championships.

Yep! The Soonerfootball staff must suck! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: It's Sunday, how much more rumination do you need?

you can say these kids are young and thats true...but this is simply becoming a trend....this tread was not about the am game it wasnt even about this season it was about the last 5.

soonerhubs
11/7/2010, 09:29 PM
you can say these kids are young and thats true...but this is simply becoming a trend....this tread was not about the am game it wasnt even about this season it was about the last 5.

Yep. I hate it when my team gets to Title games, wins a bowl game, and wins conference championships.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I see a trend that you don't know how to read posts, observe all the factors that go into coaching, and started your identity as a Soonerfan in January of 2001.

delhalew
11/7/2010, 09:30 PM
ill explain it again.

i said makes you wonder if we need to make some changes to our coaching staff. two options. stoops fires someone or he leaves. Thats a fact. only way you can make changes is by people leaving. i never said i wanted stoops gone(although at this pt thats a change i wouldnt necessarily be opposed to depending on who comes in)

me listing those guys with an nfl background was a response to someone saying who else would i want...

no need for personal insults like calling me a dummy. why cant we debate at a more educated level.

There is no debating you. Whether you want to admit it or not, you are talking about an ultimatum. Daydreaming about NFL coaches..."dummy" was me trying to keep from calling you all the other words rolling around my head.

soonerhubs
11/7/2010, 09:32 PM
It's so stupid it's laughable. Maybe we should go full Pederson and bring in Bill Callahan. Would that work?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

soonerhubs
11/7/2010, 09:32 PM
There is no debating you. Whether you want to admit it or not, you are talking about an ultimatum. Daydreaming about NFL coaches..."dummy" was me trying to keep from calling you all the other words rolling around my head.

Heh!

tcrb
11/7/2010, 09:41 PM
While I agree that there are currently some disturbing trends in place, and some changes may need to be made, I have two words for everyone who thinks that the change should be made at the OU head coach position: Frank Solich.

SoonerKnight
11/8/2010, 09:34 PM
sorry i wasnt considering this yr as you can see in my post. i said we have struggled in bigtime bowls...not saying we dont make bigtime bowls

But we have been in BCS games or CCG 60% of the last decade. WTF do you want? :rolleyes:

AirbOUrne
11/8/2010, 10:15 PM
I did not and will not read most of the posts, but I can say that I'll take this football over what was served during the late 80's and through the 90's. To all you that have forgotten that go "f" yourself. Just be happy you do not live in TX and very greatful that TX sux!

lasooner123
11/8/2010, 10:38 PM
But we have been in BCS games or CCG 60% of the last decade. WTF do you want? :rolleyes:

dude you just said the exact same thing as me....

soonerinabilene
11/8/2010, 10:39 PM
in the last five seasons, we won a big 12 championship with a wr playing qb, a big 12 championship with a freshman qb, , and then that freshman becamea heisman winner who won yet another big 12 championship. yeah, its been a ****ty 5 years.

lasooner123
11/8/2010, 10:48 PM
in the last five seasons, we won a big 12 championship with a wr playing qb, a big 12 championship with a freshman qb, , and then that freshman becamea heisman winner who won yet another big 12 championship. yeah, its been a ****ty 5 years.

personally i just find it relatively embarassing that we lose every game vs teams that have comparable talent. we lose road games. we lose bcs bowls. seriously the big 12 is pretty bad relative to other conferences such as the sec pac10 and even now big10. yeah we can beat iowa state and colorado

JLEW1818
11/8/2010, 10:54 PM
Fire Stoops

Fire them all!

Fire DEAN TOO

let's start over and win 2 games for 2011. 4 games for 2012, 8 games for 2013, and 16 games for 2014!!!!

soonerborn30
11/8/2010, 11:28 PM
There are some valid points in there. What about the road games? What about the record versus comparably talented teams? I remember the 90's. Chastising people and calling them stupid for not remembering the 90's or not being around back then is ridiculous.