PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to move away from...

btb916
11/7/2010, 12:17 PM
the no-huddle offense?

I would personally like to see this. It might be a long process but I think it would be beneficial in the long run. Thoughts?

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 12:18 PM
the no-huddle offense?

Why?

SoonerLB
11/7/2010, 12:23 PM
Not necessarily, but it's time to get rid of the MORAN calling the plays!

Partial Qualifier
11/7/2010, 12:26 PM
I wonder if our offense is designed to give a team with inferior athletes a chance against bigger, faster opponents. Like something you'd install at Northwestern, to compete with the big boys of the Big 10. ;)

I'm not a coach, don't pretend to be, but it seems this offense doesn't lend itself to success on the road for whatever reason. I'm all for scrapping it. We're Oklahoma, we don't need (what has become) a gimmicky, tricked up offense. The Missouri's and Texas A&M's of the world have caught up to it, so yeah I think we need a change.

freshchris05
11/7/2010, 12:28 PM
:pop:

toast
11/7/2010, 12:37 PM
I thought the hurry up was what got the offense moving in the 3rd quarter. I would like to have a line that can get an adequate push on short yardage downs.

TheMind__Gap
11/7/2010, 12:44 PM
no

btb916
11/7/2010, 12:54 PM
Why?

Few reasons. First, I don't like it much (not a good reason at all, of course). Second, it may be contributing to the confusion we've seen on the road this year at times. Third, it is an offense that thrives on rhythm and might contribute to the mental softness of our team (this is obviously conjecture). Fourth, we have little ability to control the clock.

Those are a few reasons why I would like to see us move away from it. I just wondered everyone's thoughts.

btb916
11/7/2010, 12:55 PM
Oh and BTW, just because it sometimes needs to be said, I don't think Stoops or Wilson or anyone should be fired :rolleyes: I just wonder if we should consider making a move to a different offense.

StoopTroup
11/7/2010, 12:59 PM
We don't do it well on the road. I can't figure out why that is.....

Hey.....maybe it has something to do with a few thousand folks screaming die you muther ****ers die!

Naw....can't be that.

That one is on the Coaches. When Bob came to Norman I seem to remember him piping in crowd noise to get our guys prepared for the away crowds. I haven't been to an OU practice in a very long time. Can any of you guys that are around there she some light? Do they do this anymore?

Theskipster
11/7/2010, 01:02 PM
No, but the meerkat part of it needs to go away.

btb916
11/7/2010, 01:07 PM

Hey.....maybe it has something to do with a few thousand folks screaming die you muther ****ers die!

Naw....can't be that.

That one is on the Coaches. When Bob came to Norman I seem to remember him piping in crowd noise to get our guys prepared for the away crowds. I haven't been to an OU practice in a very long time. Can any of you guys that are around there she some light? Do they do this anymore?

The noise is certainly a factor. But maybe taking more time to get a play and huddling would help.

I'm not a coach. I'm not making any demands. I don't think it would be wise to make the change right now. It might be beneficial in the future though.

StoopTroup
11/7/2010, 01:11 PM
The noise is certainly a factor. But maybe taking more time to get a play and huddling would help.

I'm not a coach. I'm not making any demands. I don't think it would be wise to make the change right now. It might be beneficial in the future though.

Maybe. It definitely seemed to rattle Landry in Columbia and last night

diegosooner
11/7/2010, 01:20 PM
no, that's not the problem.

SoonerPr8r
11/7/2010, 01:22 PM

This.

Landry gets in a rush sometimes and puts his head down before the entire play is given. Also 4th and inches at the goal line is the WORST time to do the meerkat. When the point is to catch the defense off guard standing there looking at the sideline is the opposite of what you want to do.

agoo758
11/7/2010, 02:30 PM
I've been wondering that for the past couple of years. Although we do the no-huddle, we seem to really take our time to get a play off. If we are not going to speed things up, why not huddle? At least try huddling on the road, it can only be an improvement, given our track record when we leave norman

85Sooner
11/7/2010, 02:46 PM
IMO Yes. It is gimicky. I would just prefer a well prepared team ready to go out and line up nose to nose and get the job done.

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 06:19 PM

Naw....can't be that.

IMO, it's not the noise but the atmosphere. You can't simulate that. Our guys just need to play through it.

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 06:21 PM
I've been wondering that for the past couple of years. Although we do the no-huddle, we seem to really take our time to get a play off. If we are not going to speed things up, why not huddle?

It prevents the other team from digging in mentally, catching a breather, and getting fresh supplies (substitutes). Essentially, it's this man's offense applied to football. (And I mean that seriously.)

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/b/bc/Rommel_color_01.jpg

Which coach first introduced this to football? Very innovative and successful.

Crucifax Autumn
11/7/2010, 07:09 PM
Personally I just want it to go faster. When we really step on the gas and hike the ball quick the opposing defense falls apart.

Frozen Sooner
11/7/2010, 07:14 PM

This is something people should really lay off on.

Yes, the plays where we get to the line then everyone looks to the sideline don't work as often as the plays where we line up and go.

1. The plays where we line up and go, the QB determined from the defensive alignment that we had the right offense called to attack that defense. Obviously, we've got a good chance of success on those plays if the QB read the defense correctly.
2. The plays where we line up and go, the defense doesn't have time to read the formation and figure out what we're going to run from their film study.
3. The plays where we're looking to the sideline, our playbook is curtailed because there's only so many audible calls we have. The defense is given another opportunity to figure out what's happening based on tendency.

All that being said, I'd rather that we have SOME system to change the play at the line rather than just running the play we're pretty sure isn't going to work.

sooner59
11/7/2010, 07:56 PM
As far as noise and atmosphere went yesterday...it wasn't that loud, there were quite a few empty seats in the top deck in the endzone, and the atmosphere was fairly dead until the kickoff return when they went up 19-0. That is when they realized they had a great chance to win. I was there and you could feel the entire game hanging in the air as Nimmo tossed it to Hanna on the fake FG. He catches that and ATM is done. As it was you could feel the air let out of the Sooners and ATM came back to life. If that gets caught, Sooner Magic would have taken hold everybody would be talking about the BCS rankings right now. Alas, it wasn't meant to be this year.

soonercastor
11/8/2010, 08:58 AM
Why?

Because, as discussed in a previous thread, it affects our defensive play as well....BIG TIME. And it's no coincidence that we've been **** in the 4th quarter. Sure we get a "too many men on the field" penalty every now and then; but sometimes we go too fast for our own good especially on crucial plays. And it seems like its designed to wear down our opponent as the game goes on, but we barely ever take advantage of that late in games.

hellogoodbye
11/8/2010, 09:18 AM
As a fan, I do think that yes - I am tired of hurry up bubble screen / hurry up swing pass / hurry up bubble screen / hurry up middle screen. How that effects the overall scheme of things I dont know...

While player match ups are one of the keys to the game, maybe there's too much weight applied to this one area via the dedication to the hurry up?

Is running it a factor in the 4th quarter performance (fatigue)?

Just askin. Its good to be innovative, its also good to understand what works and what doesn't, and make the changes that applies to winning games.

sooneron
11/8/2010, 09:27 AM
This.

Landry gets in a rush sometimes and puts his head down before the entire play is given. Also 4th and inches at the goal line is the WORST time to do the meerkat. When the point is to catch the defense off guard standing there looking at the sideline is the opposite of what you want to do.

Agree, there is a time and a place for it. Like when their D has been on the field and is getting gassed, but it seems like we mix the rhythm of it up too much to our detriment. Sometimes we get over the ball and fire and sometimes we milk the clock down to single digits. I realize there are times to do this, but we don't seem to be doing it at the correct times. At one point, we had third down on their one foot line and Landry was looking at the sideline for what seemed like an eternity. Get over the ****ing ball and fire ahead while their guys are still adjusting their jocks@!

Leroy Lizard
11/8/2010, 11:33 AM
Agree, there is a time and a place for it. Like when their D has been on the field and is getting gassed, but it seems like we mix the rhythm of it up too much to our detriment. Sometimes we get over the ball and fire and sometimes we milk the clock down to single digits. I realize there are times to do this, but we don't seem to be doing it at the correct times. At one point, we had third down on their one foot line and Landry was looking at the sideline for what seemed like an eternity. Get over the ****ing ball and fire ahead while their guys are still adjusting their jocks@!

From the comfort of a living room, it all looks easy. But on the field Landry has to coordinate the activities of 10 other people.

TUSooner
11/8/2010, 11:55 AM

This.

And never ever run the WR screen again.

Those 2 things make me cringe every time I see them.

SoonerLB
11/8/2010, 12:40 PM
This.

And never ever run the WR screen again.

Those 2 things make me cringe every time I see them.

/\ THIS /\
The one bit of luck we have had this season is that about 10 of those *^#@+*"* screen passes have not been intercepted and run back for TD's, 'cause our opponents know it's gonna be repeatedly thrown. I understand and realize it is something that works once in a while, but KW grossly overuses it!

TheHumanAlphabet
11/8/2010, 01:37 PM
I would hate to lose the up-tempo game. It is the only advantage we got. Problem is, it is hardly ever used to full effect and we go away from it too quickly.

swardboy
11/8/2010, 01:45 PM

I love the hurry-up...It has destroyed defenses when properly executed. IF a quarterback could run it vs. all that crap from the sidelines it would then be TEH AWSUM!!!!

Dang it...qb's used to call their own plays. Coaches could coach them up to recognize defenses and situations AND THEY DIDN'T NEED THOSE STUPID LAMINATED BILLBOARDS ON THEIR ARMS!

You'd need an "A" personality qb who would get everyone together on the sideline and really talk it out about perceived weaknesses in the D and then execute...oh yeah, A LEADER!!!! Forget it.

jumperstop
11/8/2010, 01:47 PM
I love the hurry-up...It has destroyed defenses when properly executed. IF a quarterback could run it vs. all that crap from the sidelines it would then be TEH AWSUM!!!!

Dang it...qb's used to call their own plays. Coaches could coach them up to recognize defenses and situations AND THEY DIDN'T NEED THOSE STUPID LAMINATED BILLBOARDS ON THEIR ARMS!

You'd need an "A" personality qb who would get everyone together on the sideline and really talk it out about perceived weaknesses in the D and then execute...oh yeah, A LEADER!!!! Forget it.

So put Heupel back in?

PalmBeachSooner
11/8/2010, 01:51 PM
the no-huddle offense?

I would personally like to see this. It might be a long process but I think it would be beneficial in the long run. Thoughts?

I would like to see us move away from our predictable play calling. Seriously, there isn't a lot of variety to our playbook. It's the same handful of plays run from different formations.