PDA

View Full Version : Question on offense........

CaliBornSoonerBred
11/7/2010, 11:39 AM
Ok, I'm not a doom and gloom, fire everyone kind of guy. BUT, my question to be posed is back in 2008 when this offensive scheme was humming on all cylinders and just lighting EVERYONE up......what's the difference in now? Even Sammy couldn't overcome crap play calling in the MNC and we lost. That 08' team had an O line with 4 guys on NFL rosters right now, A 1st pick QB, 1 rd TE, 1st rd DT, and numerous other guys in the league right now. Is the scheme that great or was that 08' team just so damn talented that they could have made anything look good? Was it tailored to that team and maximized their talents? Because we have a completely different type of O line(small, fast, athletic, 08 was HUGE, road paving, smash mouth guys who could do it all) and are trying to do the same thing but it is not working against teams with athletes in the same stratosphere as OUr guys.

We do run more bubble screens and so forth with this team and that does play into our advantage but overall.....is the scheme still working or does it need tweaking? I do believe that KW has something to do with it but that's just a part of the equation. I just want to hear everyone's thoughts on the O and see if you guys(and badj) have opinions about what we can do to get things on the right track.

Still a Sooner born, a Sooner bred, and when I die I'll be a Sooner dead. BOOMER!

soonercastor
11/7/2010, 11:40 AM
BUBBLE SCREEN

Okie35
11/7/2010, 11:42 AM
The team was more talented in 08 so most of the plays worked.

mightysooner
11/7/2010, 11:45 AM
Back in 2008 there weren't any good defenses we faced all season. The Gators had zero problems locking down our all universe offense did they not?

Our offenses are schemed around disguising our weaknesses. Our weaknesses are, Landy can't hit anybody 10+ yards downfield with any consistency and he's not a confident QB. Second weakness is....we couldn't run the ball on a team of senior citizens. That's why he throw all the screens.

yermom
11/7/2010, 11:45 AM
i think we forget why those screen plays work

A&M was ready for them, we were lucky they didn't pick one off and take it back for 6

CaliBornSoonerBred
11/7/2010, 11:46 AM
BUBBLE SCREEN

We do run it way more but it DOES play into the advantage of our receivers. They are all quick, decently physical, and block exceptional for a corp of receivers. If you're saying it's run too much, I agree but I'll take 6-8 yards a pop when it's called right.

agoo758
11/7/2010, 11:47 AM
Ok, I'm not a doom and gloom, fire everyone kind of guy. BUT, my question to be posed is back in 2008 when this offensive scheme was humming on all cylinders and just lighting EVERYONE up......what's the difference in now? Even Sammy couldn't overcome crap play calling in the MNC and we lost. That 08' team had an O line with 4 guys on NFL rosters right now, A 1st pick QB, 1 rd TE, 1st rd DT, and numerous other guys in the league right now. Is the scheme that great or was that 08' team just so damn talented that they could have made anything look good? Was it tailored to that team and maximized their talents? Because we have a completely different type of O line(small, fast, athletic, 08 was HUGE, road paving, smash mouth guys who could do it all) and are trying to do the same thing but it is not working against teams with athletes in the same stratosphere as OUr guys.

We do run more bubble screens and so forth with this team and that does play into our advantage but overall.....is the scheme still working or does it need tweaking? I do believe that KW has something to do with it but that's just a part of the equation. I just want to hear everyone's thoughts on the O and see if you guys(and badj) have opinions about what we can do to get things on the right track.

Still a Sooner born, a Sooner bred, and when I die I'll be a Sooner dead. BOOMER!

Even in 2008, I was unhappy with the gameplan on the offensive side of the ball, it is pretty much the same as it is now, and I was worried that it would eventually catch up with us against florida......

CaliBornSoonerBred
11/7/2010, 11:50 AM

A&M was ready for them, we were lucky they didn't pick one off and take it back for 6

Exactly. I thought the same thing and the sad part is we even took a few shots down field to try to stretch the field. It seemed the only things working was Stills working the sideline(2 great throws by Landry and 2 great catches by Stills) and short passing with TFranks. Are we not recruiting the right personnel? We are getting great recruits with all world talent but are we not recruiting players with the specific skill set to run what we want to run?

CaliBornSoonerBred
11/7/2010, 11:54 AM
Back in 2008 there weren't any good defenses we faced all season. The Gators had zero problems locking down our all universe offense did they not?

Well, play calling in the red zone at the end of the first half, left 7 points on the table. Iggy doesn't fight for a ball thrown up and gets picked(they get subsequently score on the next drive). We had plenty of shots in that game against Florida so I wouldn't say they had no problems locking us down, they did play damn well but we had PLENTY of shots in that game(as we have in almost all our losses) and that's sickening. We haven't been dominated in a game start to finish except for last year at taco tech in many years.

mightysooner
11/7/2010, 11:56 AM
Well, play calling in the red zone at the end of the first half, left 7 points on the table. Iggy doesn't fight for a ball thrown up and gets picked(they get subsequently score on the next drive). We had plenty of shots in that game against Florida so I wouldn't say they had no problems locking us down, they did play damn well but we had PLENTY of shots in that game(as we have in almost all our losses) and that's sickening. We haven't been dominated in a game start to finish except for last year at taco tech in many years.

Right. If your players aren't contested all year by any note-worthy defenses they don't know how to win a bare knuckle fight. We have FAR too much emphasis on passing, and pass blocking, instead of lining up and running over people.

SoonerLB
11/7/2010, 12:01 PM
Too much east-west and not enough north-south! KW makes it easy for the opposing defense to prepare, we're just lucky that we have talented players that can overcome his repetitive play calling once in a while. You can put the KW offense in a nutshell - bubble screen, bubble screen, draw play up the center's backside!

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 12:03 PM
Too much east-west and not enough north-south! KW makes it easy for the opposing defense to prepare...

Yeah, just ask FSU.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/7/2010, 12:05 PM
Our QB wasn't running for his life every play.

scarab
11/7/2010, 12:11 PM
this horse crap of a sideways pass game is easily defended as Mizzou and aTm have shown. As long as that is prick Wilson's favorite play we will continue to have these type of conversations.
FIRE WILSON NOW!

Accomplishes two things, gets us a new OC and wakes up the rest of the staff and players. Mediocrity and **** poor playing will not be tolerated.

btb916
11/7/2010, 12:13 PM
The team was more talented in 08 so most of the plays worked.

Pretty much.

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 12:15 PM
Accomplishes two things, gets us a new OC and wakes up the rest of the staff and players. Mediocrity and **** poor playing will not be tolerated.

Ha! "Will not be tolerated." Big talk, there.

tulsaoilerfan
11/7/2010, 12:53 PM
Ha! "Will not be tolerated." Big talk, there.

Do u ever contribute anything to this board? I think u would argue with a ****ing brick wall

oudavid1
11/7/2010, 01:30 PM
We lack the talent, and i mean talent on the offensive line.

StoopTroup
11/7/2010, 01:48 PM

More than one. They were trying to time them.

StoopTroup
11/7/2010, 02:02 PM
It's past mid-season and I thought after the CU game we might be on the mend but we aren't deep in lots of positions...that being said....remember when we had to move (I'm drawing a blank this morning...Eldridge I think) our Tight End around and he ends up snapping the ball to Landry I think?

Well...we're not in that kind of shape so anyone that thinks we aren't better than last year is wrong. We really had to shuffle guys around last year...and we were lucky to be 8-5 IMO. We started to recover and won the Sun Bowl. I took my Family to El Paso and supported the Team and had one of the best times. Great Memories.

I hope we win out from here and get a nice trip to Dallas and a decent Bowl Game.