PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones .. How good is he on the road

basel90
11/7/2010, 07:09 AM
Am stationed outside USA , and could not watch the game , how did landry play ? and is he as bad on the road as i am hearing ? Why not try the back ups ?

pappy
11/7/2010, 07:12 AM
last night wasn't Landry's fault. A lot of his incompletions were him throwing the ball away (which was actually the correct thing to do in the situation.)

UteSooner
11/7/2010, 09:15 AM
I think he is getting better on the road. He has a ways to go, but he's improving in my opinion. The blame for last night doesn't come close to starting with him.

I guess there's a chance that calling nothing but Murray up the middle, bubble screens and swing passes is because the coaches don't trust him with anything else. Either way I would prefer a totally different offensive scheme. It's hard to spread the defense out when a. you're in the red zone, or b. the defense is actually decent. I guess maybe you need some zone read option to make it work in those situations?

Soonermagik
11/7/2010, 09:19 AM
He gets too flustered on the road. He tends to hold the ball too long. He doesn't have the presence of mind to throw the ball away when the blitz is coming. Yes, it's frustrating. I was really hoping he would be past that stage in his 2nd year.

With that said, he has looked great at times. I think the whole team plays fast and aggressive at home. When they get on the road, they doubt themselves, drop balls, throw bad passes, miss kicks etc. It's certainly not all on Jones.

SoonerMustang
11/7/2010, 09:19 AM
I think he is getting better on the road. He has a ways to go, but he's improving in my opinion. The blame for last night doesn't come close to starting with him.

I guess there's a chance that calling nothing but Murray up the middle, bubble screens and swing passes is because the coaches don't trust him with anything else. Either way I would prefer a totally different offensive scheme. It's hard to spread the defense out when a. you're in the red zone, or b. the defense is actually decent. I guess maybe you need some zone read option to make it work in those situations?

How about we just execute the stuff Wilson calls? Yea, most of the time his calls SUCK but we still should be able to put a hat on the D line. They penetrated so much last night we will have trouble walking today!

UteSooner
11/7/2010, 09:34 AM
Does nobody else see progress in Landry's road play? Am I just seeing that because I want to?

PalmBeachSooner
11/7/2010, 09:59 AM
Does nobody else see progress in Landry's road play? Am I just seeing that because I want to?

I thought he started out slow and missing a wide open Stills for a TD hurt, but I thought he battled as hard as anyone. The one thing he does that frustrates me is when he tries to get outside of the pocket and steps right into the on outside rush. I did appreciate him tucking the ball and running for a couple of first downs and taking some vicious hits. He showed a lot of toughness.

I don't know why KW got away from what led to 17 points in the 3rd quarter. We came out in the 4th quarter and he reverts back to the same play calling that led to 0 points in the first half.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/7/2010, 10:06 AM
Anyone consider blocking #40? Holy crap. Landry played pretty well considering that he was lunch for that kid. Not to mention the play calling was probably the worst I have ever seen from out coaches.

I usually have little problem w Wilson's play calling and defend him a lot, but I was shocked at the decisions to run/pass at wacky times. The line didn't handle up last night and it was the difference. We had our chances.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/7/2010, 10:09 AM
Wait. read the post that Palm Beach wrote just above mine. What he said...