PDA

View Full Version : Mike Stoops...

CORNholio
11/7/2010, 04:42 AM
When the 2nd stoops left he took with him championship football. Defense wins championships. Never been the same since. Deny if you want to but it is self evident. discuss...

zeke
11/7/2010, 04:51 AM
When the 2nd stoops left he took with him championship football. Defense wins championships. Never been the same since. Deny if you want to but it is self evident. discuss...

Not much to discuss....Our D is pathetic with the amount of talent the we are getting year in and year out.

Harry Beanbag
11/7/2010, 04:53 AM
Stanford 42
Arizona 17

Next...

FLSooner
11/7/2010, 05:22 AM
Same old story, year in and year out since Mike left. We lose to teams we shouldn't on a regular basis. We have way too much talent to play like we do and that is a reflection of the coaching staff. I live in the heart of SEC country so I get to hear the new rounds of Chokelahoma jokes at work on Monday.

gaylordfan1
11/7/2010, 05:45 AM
How many Championships does Mike have at Zona?

kingsby
11/7/2010, 06:06 AM

How many MNC does Bob have since Mike left? How many embarrassing, laughable, head scratching, turds of a game has Bob given us since Mike left.

Are you serious with this argument. Really!!

Mike Stoops is at freaking Arizona.

How many 1st round draft choices does he had at Arizona?
How many players has he put in the NFL?
Does he get his pick of recruits?

He does not have the same caliber of players, does not have the same facilities, or the same expectations. He is at Arizona !!!

pappy
11/7/2010, 06:14 AM
How many MNC does Bob have since Mike left? How many embarrassing, laughable, head scratching, turds of a game has Bob given us since Mike left.

Are you serious with this argument. Really!!

Mike Stoops is at freaking Arizona.

How many 1st round draft choices does he had at Arizona?
How many players has he put in the NFL?
Does he get his pick of recruits?

He does not have the same caliber of players, does not have the same facilities, or the same expectations. He is at Arizona !!!

right on man! (or woman idk) Comparing Arizona football to Oklahoma football is like trying to compare <insert class A, B, C or 8-man football team that sucks here> to Jenks or Tulsa Union.

FLSooner
11/7/2010, 06:19 AM
Thank you Kingsby. What a joke of a comparison. Mike doesn't have the players, facility, payroll or PAY CHECK to be an elite coach where brother Bob does. You think one of the other elite paid coaches (Saban, Myer) might have won at least one major bowl game or a National Championship with 2 heisman winners, Adrian Peterson, Murray and dozens of NFL draft defensive players? Oh that's right, they have and Bob and saff haven't since Mike left. I think Bob and Mike are much better together than apart but it would be interesting to see Bob and Mike switch programs to see if Mike would do any better.

zeke
11/7/2010, 06:52 AM
Sam Bradford, Tommy Harris, Gerold McCoy, Mark Clayton on & on

pappy
11/7/2010, 06:57 AM
Stoops currently has 2 offensive weapons breaking huge career records and still can't get it done.

basel90
11/7/2010, 07:06 AM
Bob stoops has mediocre assistants , that is the bottom line, he needs to bring in new assistants,. talent at OU is far better than at Zona. Mike Stoops is a better DC than Venables.

The_Red_Patriot
11/7/2010, 09:41 AM
Yea because when Mike Stoops was the DC at Oklahoma, we never got killed :rolleyes:

01 Nebraska, 02 OSU, 02 A&M, 03 K State

Denver_Sooner
11/7/2010, 09:44 AM
None of the above!!!!!

Bob Stoops needs his pay reduced to $550,000 with an incentive system for winning games and even bigger incentive to win championships. If he chokes on the big one, he makes no more money that year than the head coach of Wyoming.

PalmBeachSooner
11/7/2010, 09:47 AM
I think last night's loss should be put squarely on the offense and special teams. If you're inside the 1 yard line 5 times and can only score 7 points that's sad if not plain pathetic.

OU-HSV
11/7/2010, 09:49 AM
Stanford 42
Arizona 17

Next...

OOPS

SoonerMustang
11/7/2010, 09:52 AM
You would think for $270,000 a month we could bet a coach that could win on the road.

Breadburner
11/7/2010, 09:56 AM
Lol...Another stupid thread.....

CBUS_SOONER
11/7/2010, 10:19 AM
The last few yrs we have had more blown coverages than any big time football programs. I'm getting tired of people running down field uncovered.

oumartin
11/7/2010, 10:47 AM
You know why Mike doesn't have championships at Zona? You can't recruit the top tier talent there. Nobody on here said he was the perfect head coach. The guy could coach defense. When he was here and Venables coached a position the defense was much more dominant. Sure you guys will pull out 5 games they got beat but nobody is perfect all the time. His defenses dang sure wouldn't look like this crap that is on the field the last four years.

Sam Bradford, Gerald McCoy. blah blah blah. With that talent there shoulds been at least one NC in that span. We backed doored into the BCS in 2008 because the defense couldn't show up for the Texas game.

The one team Venables knew how to gameplan for (mizzou) figured him out and look now. We'll beat tech. We'll beat Baylor but holy crap I am not looking forward to OSU

OUthunder
11/7/2010, 10:50 AM
Stanford 42
Arizona 17

Next...

Lol, people are fucxking stoopid sometimes. Didn't we beat Stanford on a neutral field, with a 2nd string QB, and a depleted D last year?

agoo758
11/7/2010, 11:36 AM
Yea because when Mike Stoops was the DC at Oklahoma, we never got killed :rolleyes:

Mike stoops wasn't there for 03' k-state bub.

The only really bad game I saw see that you listed is at OSU in 02'.

Nice try.

StoopTroup
11/7/2010, 11:37 AM
Stanford 42
Arizona 17

Next...

LMAO

StoopTroup
11/7/2010, 11:38 AM
Lol, people are fucxking stoopid sometimes. Didn't we beat Stanford on a neutral field, with a 2nd string QB, and a depleted D last year?

The answer is yes and Mike wasn't there.

YWIA

:D

cdlbdd
11/7/2010, 11:39 AM
You would think for $270,000 a month we could bet a coach that could win on the road.

I guess you didn't watch (or don't remember) the Cincinnati game?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/7/2010, 12:38 PM

Nice try.

according ot the gurus on here, any game where we give up 24 points is a bad defensive game. so bad defensive games under mike stoops

1999 notre dame
1999 texas
1999 colorado
1999 texas tech
1999 ole miss
2000 kstate
2000 kstate
2001 north carolina
2001 kstate
2002 alabama
2002 mizzou
2002 texas
2002 texas a&m
2002 oklahoma state
2003 fresno state
2003 UCLA
2003 texas tech

17 out of 64 games he coached at OU we gave up more than 24 points (it should be 18 out of 65 but everyone gives him a pass on the 2003 kstate game which if they give him a pass for bailing on us, then no one should get counted for that game).

venables has 32 out of 89

the difference is that a) everyone tosses out 1999 and b) when mike had bad defensive games the offense bailed him out. venables is the same way for most of his games (we won 6 of the 8 in 1998)

Jason White's Third Knee
11/7/2010, 12:41 PM
according ot the gurus on here, any game where we give up 24 points is a bad defensive game. so bad defensive games under mike stoops

1999 notre dame
1999 texas
1999 colorado
1999 texas tech
1999 ole miss
2000 kstate
2000 kstate
2001 north carolina
2001 kstate
2002 alabama
2002 mizzou
2002 texas
2002 texas a&m
2002 oklahoma state
2003 fresno state
2003 UCLA
2003 texas tech

17 out of 64 games he coached at OU we gave up more than 24 points (it should be 18 out of 65 but everyone gives him a pass on the 2003 kstate game which if they give him a pass for bailing on us, then no one should get counted for that game).

venables has 32 out of 89

the difference is that a) everyone tosses out 1999 and b) when mike had bad defensive games the offense bailed him out. venables is the same way for most of his games (we won 6 of the 8 in 1998)

Your logic has no place on this board, sir.

tulsaoilerfan
11/7/2010, 12:50 PM

we gave up 20 points at Nebraska, and the K State game was after he took the Arizona job, so 2 bad games in 4 years i can live with

SoonerMustang
11/7/2010, 12:52 PM
I guess you didn't watch (or don't remember) the Cincinnati game?

Dude, Cincinnati sucks and so did the coaching in that game.

StoopTroup
11/7/2010, 12:54 PM
1999 wasn't Mike's fault. Those were Blake's Players. Check with Nate.

SoonerinSouthlake
11/7/2010, 01:33 PM
we gave up 20 points at Nebraska, and the K State game was after he took the Arizona job, so 2 bad games in 4 years i can live with

Since he took the job before the KState game, does that mean he was on the sidelines with headphones on listening to his IPOD?

boomermagic
11/7/2010, 01:44 PM
Stanford 42
Arizona 17

Next...

LOL.. I'm afraid that doesn't tell the story..:D

Next..

cdlbdd
11/7/2010, 01:45 PM
Dude, Cincinnati sucks and so did the coaching in that game.

I don't disagree with you on either of those points. I'm just pointing out that we have a coach that can win on the road. To suggest otherwise is to be ignorant of the fact that Stoops' teams do win on the road.

Sooners78
11/7/2010, 04:06 PM

Nice try.

Yep. Anyone who tries to reason that Mike was just as bad as venerables is delusional. It's sad when I start to expect blown coverages and they come true time after time. And, the tackling the last few years has been awful. I sure don't remember that happening when Mike was here. Venerables is not even in the top quarter of major college defensive coordinators. OU should have one of the elite.

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 04:07 PM

How many does Bob Have without Mike?

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 04:10 PM
Arizona is better since Mike got there. OU is worse since Mike left. Its pretty simple.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/7/2010, 04:17 PM
I think last night's loss should be put squarely on the offense and special teams. If you're inside the 1 yard line 5 times and can only score 7 points that's sad if not plain pathetic.

Yep yOUr right I saw Landry checking to 3 strait dive plays that got stoned at the line, and then on 4th down run it to the other side.:rolleyes: Once upon a time we had a tight end or two that could catch a td pass in the endzone from the 1 yard line! Sooner or later someone has to be held accountable, if it's not the player cause they are not paid to play, then who and when? It's sad this year that we have been saying if do this or that then we would beat mizzOU and aTm! I remember a bunch of people on this board(myself included) pissed when mizzOU and booger boy said they beat themselves in Norman and we have sunk to that level? Neg speck me if yOU feel the need! I'm not a doom and gloom person, but feel we are in need of some changes.
:gary:

StoopTroup
11/7/2010, 04:18 PM
I hear Brent Venables can beat Mike in arm wrestling.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/7/2010, 04:23 PM
Yep. Anyone who tries to reason that Mike was just as bad as venerables is delusional. It's sad when I start to expect blown coverages and they come true time after time. And, the tackling the last few years has been awful. I sure don't remember that happening when Mike was here. Venerables is not even in the top quarter of major college defensive coordinators. OU should have one of the elite.

It's not that Mike is world beater, but it's the attitude that he bring to the team, tha IMO is what we are missing! I never got close to sniffing the field at the D1 level, never play at a major highschool levee( I did play hs football) and knoW tha you have to have an attitude to play football, defense at that! That is what Mike brought IMO!

madillsoonerfan5353
11/7/2010, 04:25 PM

It's not that Mike is A world beater, but it's the attitude that he brings to the team, that IMO is what we are missing! I never got close to sniffing the field at the D1 level, never play at a major highschool leve( I did play hs football) and knoW that you have to have an attitude to play football, defense at that! That is what Mike brought IMO!

cdlbdd
11/7/2010, 04:27 PM
It's not that Mike is A world beater, but it's the attitude that he brings to the team, that IMO is what we are missing! I never got close to sniffing the field at the D1 level, never play at a major highschool leve( I did play hs football) and knoW that you have to have an attitude to play football, defense at that! That is what Mike brought IMO!

We heard you the first time!!11!!!

madillsoonerfan5353
11/7/2010, 04:28 PM

It's not that Mike is A world beater, but it's the attitude that he brings to the team, that IMO is what we are missing! I never got close to sniffing the field at the D1 level, never play at a major highschool leveL( I did play hs football) and knoW that you have to have an attitude to play football, defense at that! That is what Mike brought IMO!

mehip
11/7/2010, 04:30 PM
I think too much credit is given to Mike. In my opinion it was the combination of Mike and Bret that brought a special intensity to the D that rest of the team fed on. That said, it was pretty special.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/7/2010, 05:01 PM
We heard you the first time!!11!!!

Yeah I know, I'm just trying to get my post count up so when I go against the grain I don't get hit with a bunch of red!;) This effing iPhone wears me out!

StoopTroup
11/7/2010, 05:04 PM
Yeah I know, I'm just trying to get my post count up so when I go against the grain I don't get hit with a bunch of red!;) This effing iPhone wears me out!

Posting count is meaningless. The time you're logged in is what makes the difference.

StoopTroup
11/7/2010, 05:05 PM
I think too much credit is given to Mike. In my opinion it was the combination of Mike and Bret that brought a special intensity to the D that rest of the team fed on. That said, it was pretty special.

I've got his Autograph. Sometimes after a loss I get it out and just stare at it until I feel better.

cccasooner2
11/7/2010, 05:16 PM
I've got his Autograph. Sometimes after a loss I get it out and just stare at it until I feel better.

I think Mike is a better DC than a HC but I can't blame him for seeking browner pastures. I still blame some of the early decade OU loses to his job interviews. JMHO

Collier11
11/7/2010, 05:33 PM
Im sure this has been posted but Im not reading the entire thread...you all realize that Mike Stoops D gave up 47 yesterday right?

Breadburner
11/7/2010, 05:37 PM
How many does Bob Have without Mike?

Got one as a D.C. at Florida......

Scott D
11/7/2010, 05:53 PM
Im sure this has been posted but Im not reading the entire thread...you all realize that Mike Stoops D gave up 47 yesterday right?

that'd require them to quit convincing themselves that arizona has 0 talent and is a place that no recruit would ever want to play football.

cccasooner2
11/7/2010, 06:27 PM

I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but who is the AZ DC now that Mark went to FSU?

Collier11
11/7/2010, 06:35 PM
Couldnt tell ya but Mark got lit a few times as well, and he has been lit at FSU...offenses are a lot diff than they were in the early 2000s

MR2-Sooner86
11/7/2010, 07:04 PM
Lets see...if my memory serves me right. The last time we lost to Aggie and OSU was...when Mike Stoops was here. Hmmm...
Lets not forget, if Mike Stoops' defense was such a world beater, how come they couldn't stop OSU in '01 from marching down the field for the game winning touchdown? That kept us out of the Championship with Miami.

As for championships won without Mike argument...

'03 Championship Game (I know he was there but he took the Arizona job and was busy getting ready to do that so his time to prepare wasn't like it had been in past games)
Defense held LSU to 21 points. Our offense was held to 14 points and 150 yards. Who gets more of the blame?

'04 Championship Game
The entire team gave up. Yeah the defense got the **** kicked out of them but how come the offense couldn't generate anything after the first drive? Who gets more blame for that game?

'05 Season
We sucked. I'll just admit it right now. We were young and didnt' know what the hell we were doing. However, we did end it beating a top 5 Oregon team.

'08 Championship Game
Defense held Florida to 7 points for three quarters. The defense did it's job, where was the offense? A team averaging over 50 a game held to 14? You tell me who gets more of the blame.

'09 Season
This season reminded me of the '03 Alabama game. We had a defense to keep it close but in '03 our offense could push us over the top. Last year our offense couldn't do that. Agreed?

Was the team better under Mike? I'd say "yes" and agree. Mike isn't coming back though folks. I think what Mike took with him was the big stage. If Mike were on the team when we played Boise our attitude would have been, "lets kick these god damn smurfs off the field before the 1st quarter." We still have that attitude that crops up now and again (see '07 Missouri Championship game) but it has died down a bit.

cccasooner2
11/7/2010, 07:11 PM
Unlazied myself. The co-defensive coordinators at Arizona are Greg Brown and Tim Kish. BTW, the Co-Offensive Coordinator/TEs/RBs coach is Seth Littrell.

cvsooner
11/7/2010, 09:33 PM
Stanford 42
Arizona 17

Next...

AND nearly 600 yards of offense surrendered. Mike is no genius.

oumartin
11/7/2010, 10:02 PM
Mike is the HC, not the GD DC at Arizona retards

Collier11
11/7/2010, 10:05 PM
So he has no control over the D then?

Rickety_Syd
11/7/2010, 10:21 PM
I say bring back every coach that was on staff in 2000 because that worked and we've sucked ever since. :P

tcrb
11/7/2010, 10:46 PM
It's not that Mike is A world beater, but it's the attitude that he brings to the team, that IMO is what we are missing! I never got close to sniffing the field at the D1 level, never play at a major highschool leveL( I did play hs football) and knoW that you have to have an attitude to play football, defense at that! That is what Mike brought IMO!

Not sure that it came exclusively from Mike, but I do agree 100% with you that attitude and swaggar has been missing from both OUr offense and defense for some time now. It was evident last night...when that pass slipped off Hanna's fingertips and bounced harmlessly into the endzone, OUr boys were done. Same thing two weeks ago when the 2 point attempt failed. The intensity has been missing for several seasons. Maybe Mike added some of that to the mix when he was here, but he's not the only coach that can provide that mental spark. Sometimes it's a player that adds it. Right now it appears no one on the team has "it".

sooneron
11/7/2010, 10:58 PM

Nice try.

YOU'RE WRONG

While MS was away interviewing in Tucson, BV put in a defensive game plan. Mikey came back, didn't agree with it and changed it a couple days before the game. Idiocy ensued and no one knew what to do on the field. That was evident. I confirmed it with a former DB that was on that team.

TXBOOMER
11/7/2010, 11:05 PM
Stanford 42
Arizona 17

Next...

:D

cocoal
11/8/2010, 02:46 AM
Sam Bradford, Tommy Harris, Gerold McCoy, Mark Clayton

CrimsonRez
11/8/2010, 04:38 AM
God if this is really the argument then JoPa would have been gone from Oklahoma a long *** time ago.

cleller
11/8/2010, 09:11 AM
I saw this paragraph on a Yahoo sports story. Debated over whether to quote it, but it is interesting:

"Saturday was not a good day for the Stoops brothers. Bob's Oklahoma team allowed 382 yards in a devastating 33-19 loss at Texas A&M, devastating in that any hope OU had of playing for the national title is gone. Mike's Arizona team allowed 510 yards as Stanford carved up the Wildcats 42-17; as with Bob's OU team, it was the second loss for Mike's Wildcats squad. And Mark's defense at Florida State was torched as well, allowing 473 yards -- including 439 through the air -- in a 37-35 loss to North Carolina."

I'm not trying to bash the Stoops. I still believe they are great defensive coaches, and still wish Mike was our DC.
I just thought the story illustrated someone's point that offenses have evolved in the NCAA, and the Stoops-type defensive approach will have to counter it.

Sooner Brewcrew
11/8/2010, 10:55 AM
You know why Mike doesn't have championships at Zona? You can't recruit the top tier talent there. Nobody on here said he was the perfect head coach. The guy could coach defense. When he was here and Venables coached a position the defense was much more dominant. Sure you guys will pull out 5 games they got beat but nobody is perfect all the time. His defenses dang sure wouldn't look like this crap that is on the field the last four years.

Sam Bradford, Gerald McCoy. blah blah blah. With that talent there shoulds been at least one NC in that span. We backed doored into the BCS in 2008 because the defense couldn't show up for the Texas game.

The one team Venables knew how to gameplan for (mizzou) figured him out and look now. We'll beat tech. We'll beat Baylor but holy crap I am not looking forward to OSUI am SO not looking foreward to the OSU game.

boomermagic
11/8/2010, 11:30 AM
How about Florida State 2000 ? Mike Stoops WAS THERE !!!

their high powered offense led by their heisman trophy winning qb scoring an avg. of about 42 points a game was held SCORELESS !!! Deny that !! That was on THE BIGGEST stage the National Championship game and Mike's defense showed up BIG TIME Now,

NEXT ?????

StoopTroup
11/8/2010, 11:36 AM

their high powered offense scoring an avg. of about 42 points a game was held SCORELESS !!! Deny that !! That was on THE BIGGEST stage the National Championship game and Mike's defense showed up BIG TIME Now,

NEXT ?????

10/14/00 Win (8) Oklahoma 41, (2) Kansas State 31 Manhattan KS

11/11/00 Win (1) Oklahoma 35, (23) Texas A&M 31 College Station Texas

12/02/00 Win (1) Oklahoma 27, (8) Kansas State 24 Kansas City, Mo. (Big 12 Championship)

Yes we went undefeated in 2000 but these 3 road games were tough. It was awesome to walk out of those Stadiums too as the opposing Fans couldn't believe we outscored them.

"Defenses Win Championships" is a really great catch phrase but it takes outscoring your opponent to win.

jumperstop
11/8/2010, 11:40 AM

their high powered offense led by their heisman trophy winning qb scoring an avg. of about 42 points a game was held SCORELESS !!! Deny that !! That was on THE BIGGEST stage the National Championship game and Mike's defense showed up BIG TIME Now,

NEXT ?????

They also had a lot of offensive mistakes and their leading reciever out or something like that, but yes his defense did kick *** in that game.

We all know Mike was awesome, there is no denying that. And really I don't think there is anyone who would disagree he is better than Venerables. I just don't see what sitting here and complaining about it is going to do. He ain't coming back or anything, and if you really think Venerables is acctually going anywhere soon you are probably a bit crazy. I know people are going to throw out the "this is a dicussion board, we're discussing" crap, but maybe just do more discussion and less bitching.

jumperstop
11/8/2010, 11:43 AM

12/02/00 Win (1) Oklahoma 27, (8) Kansas State 24 Kansas City, Mo. (Big 12 Championship)

Yes we went undefeated in 2000 but these 3 road games were tough. It was awesome to walk out of those Stadiums too as the opposing Fans couldn't believe we outscored them.

"Defenses Win Championships" is a really great catch phrase but it takes outscoring your opponent to win.

All great games. Wish that I went to away games back then.

soonercastor
11/8/2010, 11:54 AM

But defense really does win championships. Without looking, I'm pretty sure most if not all the 10 national champions in college have ranked higher in defense than on offense. We're deviating from this thread anyways but just sayin'

boomermagic
11/8/2010, 11:55 AM

Absolutely, I love to see an offense that scores a lot of points IF it's ours anyway.. A good defense will usually give your offense more oppurtunaties so one compliments the other..

StoopTroup
11/8/2010, 01:32 PM
YOU'RE WRONG

While MS was away interviewing in Tucson, BV put in a defensive game plan. Mikey came back, didn't agree with it and changed it a couple days before the game. Idiocy ensued and no one knew what to do on the field. That was evident. I confirmed it with a former DB that was on that team.

That's the fact jack!

Being BV during that time had to be tough though as here is Mike, Bob's Brother that you are replacing and you've been given the reigns to the Sooner Schooner and you're probably going to get the DC position and you have to try and out live a Legend. History will show that it is extremely difficult to follow behind a really great performance. Bob and Mike realized it was time for Mike to take advantage of the opportunities that fell in front of his feet and I'm always going to be happy for Mike. His post game interviews were awesome and he really took the pressure off Bob on those IMO. Bob got to enjoy himself, I'm betting, because of Mike running interference with the media during those times.

IMO...you can never repeat a first and Mike and Bob as a Coaching Team should never happen again. People who dream for such things...well....IMO the odds of it not being as Great the 2nd time are very high. It would just become a bad dream. In Mike's mind would becoming his Brother's #2 again be something he had in his mind or dreams?

People who would want that situation are very selfish.