PDA

View Full Version : Stoops and Firing of Assistants

basel90
11/7/2010, 03:51 AM
Stoop's unwillingness to change assistants is an ongoing issue. It is obvious these assistants on offense and defense have developed this comfort zone where they know Stoops is too proud/ or stuboorn to make a coaching change. Did Stoops ever fire any assistant ? From my memory the good assistants left when they were worthy enough to earn a HC job at another school or to the NFL . Other than that , it is the same old assistants. I will bet you no top 20 school will go after Venables or Wilson after the demonstrated lack of consistancy and lack of creativity. These coaches are getting top 5 or top 10 talent and they pretty much are producing top 15 to 25 reseults , and that will not land any of them a HC job.

We need fresh faces and i don't get the feeling the coaches get any heat from Stoops.
Evan Mack Brown , with all his problems at texas resorted to firing assistants and brought many new faces in the last few years and kept plugging new DCs untill he got things around and even produced a MNC win as well.

I think there is complacency at OU's coaching staff and they are running out of ideas of how to turn things around. It is no Stoops to go out and hire new assistants , and soon.....

tooslow
11/7/2010, 06:49 AM
For one, getting a huge raise without accomplishing anything is definitely not doing anything to motivate these guys. :(

zeke
11/7/2010, 06:57 AM
Its arrogance IMO to think we can just be OU and show up. Games like this prove it in my mind. **** poor coaching & effort

TUSooner
11/7/2010, 08:37 AM
From my memory the good assistants left when they were worthy enough to earn a HC job at another school or to the NFL... and the less competent stay at OU.

Finish your sentences! ;)

OU GENO
11/7/2010, 10:03 AM
How is mack brown and his great assistants doing this year i have not noticed? The SWARM is still on the bandwagon and still have our 100 seats in lower sec 23 above the tunnel. We formed in 1998 went thru the Blake era and we are very proud of Bob Stoops record! Boomer Sooner!

PalmBeachSooner
11/7/2010, 10:13 AM
Anytime you try to criticize Stoops he pulls out the 6 confrences championships, a NC, record setting offenses, heisman winners, numerous NFL draft picks.

It's hard to argue that those facts justify replacing assistants.

The problem is that in order to have a competetive advantage (other than talent) you have to be innovative. There in lies OU's problems. We are extremely predictable.

Rocker
11/7/2010, 10:22 AM
How is mack brown and his great assistants doing this year i have not noticed? The SWARM is still on the bandwagon and still have our 100 seats in lower sec 23 above the tunnel. We formed in 1998 went thru the Blake era and we are very proud of Bob Stoops record! Boomer Sooner!

Exactly!

oumartin
11/7/2010, 10:43 AM
This aint the same program Bob took over. Big time talented coaches would jump at the chance to coach at Oklahoma. Probabation and two really poor coaching hires is what stalled the machine. Give Bob credit he turned the ship around. I'm just afraid it may be heading for an iceburg with the way things are going.

YOu can take your Mack Brown comparisons and stuff and shove it. This aint Texas, This aint Okie State. It's by GAWD OKLAHOMA.

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 11:22 AM
Stoop's unwillingness to change assistants is an ongoing issue.

It's an issue AMONG THE FANS. With the OU team, it is not. Stoops knows what his assistants bring to the table and if he thinks he has the best available, that's all that matters.

He is the captain of the ship. If you want to mutiny, go for it. But don't go telling the captain who to hire as first-mate; that's his decision.

agoo758
11/7/2010, 11:24 AM
This aint the same program Bob took over. Big time talented coaches would jump at the chance to coach at Oklahoma. Probabation and two really poor coaching hires is what stalled the machine. Give Bob credit he turned the ship around. I'm just afraid it may be heading for an iceburg with the way things are going.

YOu can take your Mack Brown comparisons and stuff and shove it. This aint Texas, This aint Okie State. It's by GAWD OKLAHOMA.

I feel like were are much like the corn huskers in the late 80's and early 90's when they would have really good regular season regular records, then get blown out by a top five team in a bowl game.:(

Piware
11/7/2010, 03:35 PM
Performance problems don't always have to be a firing. Sometimes a serious talk about objectives, failed projects, etc. and consequences for non-performance can jolt an employee who has slacked back to reality. There's plenty of time before next weekend to deliver said jolt.

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 03:38 PM
In the past we've had the talent to overcome the poor coaching. Not so much lately.

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 06:05 PM
Performance problems don't always have to be a firing. Sometimes a serious talk about objectives, failed projects, etc. and consequences for non-performance can jolt an employee who has slacked back to reality. There's plenty of time before next weekend to deliver said jolt.

Threatening an assistant is not going to work. Besides, what "performance" is under question here? Not putting in enough hours? Not rising early enough in the morning?

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 06:07 PM
In the past we've had the talent to overcome the poor coaching. Not so much lately.

Who developed that talent?

OU GENO
11/7/2010, 06:20 PM
We play TT this sat who beat Misszoo who beat us, so are you on the bandwagon to go to the game are you going to stay at home? I know this is a home game and do you think we are the Sooners and will win the South? osu will be a big big game, but as a Sooner fan I think we win! Boomer Sooner! OK OK I am a homer what are you?

OU GENO
11/7/2010, 06:37 PM
bump

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 06:42 PM
We play TT this sat who beat Misszoo who beat us, so are you on the bandwagon to go to the game are you going to stay at home? I know this is a home game and do you think we are the Sooners and will win the South? osu will be a big big game, but as a Sooner fan I think we win! Boomer Sooner! OK OK I am a homer what are you?

You're not necessarily a homer. Sunshine pumper, maybe. (For the record, I don't see what's wrong with someone pumping sunshine. The team could use a little support now and then.)