PDA

View Full Version : Death of Storm Chaser Matt Hughes

Mazeppa
11/6/2010, 11:33 PM
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 3:30 PM on 5th November 2010
The death of storm-chaser Matt Hughes was today at the centre of intense speculation.
Many fans only found out the 30-year-old presenter had passed away at the end of Wednesday's episode of the Discovery series in which he starred.
Hughes, who has a wife Kenda and two sons Collin and Hunter, actually died on May 26.
He was not killed in the course of chasing storms - an obsession he had pursued for 15 years - but after suffering a fatal injury at his home.
There were today reports that Hughes's death was due to complications from a failed attempt to kill himself.

(I don't think this was a "failed attempt" if he's dead, even if it was from complications.)

bigfatjerk
11/6/2010, 11:48 PM
That is kinda oxymoronic. Obviously since he didn't fail in killing himself he's a success!

Okla-homey
11/7/2010, 09:05 AM
He was not killed in the course of chasing storms - an obsession he had pursued for 15 years - but after a botched suicide attempt, after which he partially recovered, but later died.

fixed it.

This story says he tried to hang himself.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2010/11/04/2010-11-04_matt_hughes_storm_chasers_star_dies_from_noncha sing_injury_ex_coworker_suggests_.html

StoopTroup
11/7/2010, 12:19 PM
Chasing those storms had to be an adrenaline rush. Wonder if that all was coming to an end and he got depressed? That sucks for his Family. Prayers to them.

Whet
11/7/2010, 02:54 PM
The dark side of depression can not be overcome by fame, fortune, or profession. Unfortunately, Matt succumbed to that dark side.

Boomer.....
11/7/2010, 07:45 PM
Sad deal.

SoonerStormchaser
11/8/2010, 01:20 AM
It truly sucks that he felt that was the only option...my prayers to his family.

Good thing I'm not watching the show (for obvious reasons)...my wife tells me that I would still be wishing that Reed would finally bite it after some of the bs he's pulled this season. Seriously...one day he will either die from his stupidity, or his stupidity will directly/indirectly kill someone else. Basically, this show has turned into the mere glorification of Reed Timmer's stupidity. Please don't watch it.

mgsooner
11/8/2010, 01:54 AM
Is it like the movie Twister in which Cary Elwes is the evil crazy storm chaser?

SoonerStormchaser
11/8/2010, 09:20 AM
Is it like the movie Twister in which Cary Elwes is the evil crazy storm chaser?

Yes...except he hasn't gotten his poetic justice yet.:mad:

TheHumanAlphabet
11/8/2010, 10:05 AM
It truly sucks that he felt that was the only option...my prayers to his family.

Good thing I'm not watching the show (for obvious reasons)...my wife tells me that I would still be wishing that Reed would finally bite it after some of the bs he's pulled this season. Seriously...one day he will either die from his stupidity, or his stupidity will directly/indirectly kill someone else. Basically, this show has turned into the mere glorification of Reed Timmer's stupidity. Please don't watch it.

I fear this some day... I hate the glorifcation of the storm chasers (this said from a guy shown on "That's Incredible"). Most of the guys doing, I seriously wonder in they know what they are doing. Some one will die doing this and it won't be pretty.

SoonerStormchaser
11/8/2010, 10:10 AM
I fear this some day... I hate the glorifcation of the storm chasers (this said from a guy seen on "That's Incredible"). Most of the guys doing, I seriously wonder in they know what they are doing. Some one will die doing this and it won't be pretty.

Being that I've been on exactly ONE chase since 2004, I can assure you that I took what I did seriously and there was a SEVERE degree of safety involved in it. If I didn't know exactly where that storm was going and knew how to get around it or have an escape route, I wasn't chasing it. No debates...end of discussion. Nowadays, these morons just want to get as close to the most dangerous parts as they can to show off their macho stupidity. Reed is the front-runner of that type...and has been for as long as I've known of him (2001 while he was still an undergrad at OU). He's in it solely for himself...to make as much moolah selling tapes of his exploits on the internet. He's nothing but a stupid attention whore.

Partial Qualifier
11/8/2010, 10:21 AM
this said from a guy shown on "That's Incredible"

Go on...

TheHumanAlphabet
11/8/2010, 01:13 PM
Go on...

Yes, I was on "That's Incredible", sometime in 1981 I believe (around Christmas time). I had a "cool" brown running suit and a beard (I think). I subbed on Howie Bluestein's Toto crew for a day or so. Chased all west Oklahoma and the Texas Panhandle. Saw squat. All tornado footage on the segment was file film except for the Toto stuff.

Oh and in that day, we chased with what we saw in the morning from the skew-T's and the obs and our forecasting prowess. We maybe found a payphone and called into NSSL while chasing, but usually not enough time. But that was it. Those guys today with their cell signal laptops and up to date radar have got nothing on the chasers of old...

swardboy
11/9/2010, 08:57 AM
How did you keep your horses fresh?

Prayers to the Hughes family.

Collier11
11/10/2010, 03:27 AM
Reed is the front-runner of that type...and has been for as long as I've known of him (2001 while he was still an undergrad at OU). He's in it solely for himself...to make as much moolah selling tapes of his exploits on the internet. He's nothing but a stupid attention whore.

I can tell you without a doubt that you have no clue about Reed my friend. Two of my best friends in college were meteorology majors which allowed me to meet Reed, Aaron, and Joel. All really nice guys, I actually played quite a bit of basketball with them, partied at their house a few times, hung out a few other times.

Reed, 1st of all, is amazingly intelligent. The guy is currently going for his PHD.

2nd, Reed absolutely is obsessed with and loves weather. Reed is an extreme chaser but he does it to learn and to help save lives. Sure there is fame that comes with it, hell, he was on Leno the other day. But I can assure you that the Reed I know isnt just in it for fame. You have to realize though that if you want to make a living by storm chasing you have to take advantage of opportunities and that is what he has done. Nothing more and nothing less as far as im concerned

Collier11
11/10/2010, 03:28 AM
I fear this some day... I hate the glorifcation of the storm chasers (this said from a guy shown on "That's Incredible"). Most of the guys doing, I seriously wonder in they know what they are doing. Some one will die doing this and it won't be pretty.

No, alot if not most that storm chase have no clue what they are doing.

stoopified
11/10/2010, 04:04 PM
As aperson who STRONGLY considered suicide almost 20 years ago,my heart goes out to his family and to this poor soul.Sometimes the pain is so great it seems death is the only way to stop it.

SoonerStormchaser
11/11/2010, 02:16 AM
But I can assure you that the Reed I know isnt just in it for fame. You have to realize though that if you want to make a living by storm chasing you have to take advantage of opportunities and that is what he has done. Nothing more and nothing less as far as im concerned

Dude....no he's not. There's a difference between book smart and common sense smart...Reed definitely has the former, but the latter is lacking. I have crossed paths with him on numerous occasions since 2001...and several of my friends even went chasing with him back in the early parts last decade. Our opinions are all similar...and they stopped chasing with him shortly after they began. He is dangerous...his intentions may be for saving lives; but he has, for as long as I have known of him/known him, consistently shown a disregard for common sense and safety when it comes to chasing...all for that one shot that will make him famous and give him more air time. So now you've got a bunch of folks who are gonna come out here and emulate exactly what he does on the show...and one day, someone WILL die because of it and it will be HIS fault. And what is it that we ever see on the TV show? That's right...Reed getting as close to the storm as he can. Funny, I don't see any scientific equipment on his vehicle...just a gps computer and a boatload of video cameras. How about they focus on the REAL focus of the show...rather than a prima donna?

Collier11
11/11/2010, 02:30 AM
Well I know for a fact I know him far better than you do so you can believe what you want, Reed is a genius when it comes to this stuff and he makes it known that his style is risky but he does it to save lives.

If someone goes and emulates him that is on them if they are not educated, not him.

Collier11
11/11/2010, 02:35 AM
Dude....no he's not. There's a difference between book smart and common sense smart...Reed definitely has the former, but the latter is lacking.

To challenge his common sense is funny, if he is putting his own life at risk to save others lives then so be it, atleast thats his feeling

I have crossed paths with him on numerous occasions since 2001...and several of my friends even went chasing with him back in the early parts last decade. Our opinions are all similar...and they stopped chasing with him shortly after they began. He is dangerous...his intentions may be for saving lives; but he has, for as long as I have known of him/known him, consistently shown a disregard for common sense and safety when it comes to chasing...all for that one shot that will make him famous and give him more air time.

Thats where you have no clue about what you are talking about, yea he takes risks, big risks when he chases. He doesnt get as close to the tornado as possible to be famous, any dumb f*ck can do that, he does it to gain as much information and data as possible

So now you've got a bunch of folks who are gonna come out here and emulate exactly what he does on the show...and one day, someone WILL die because of it and it will be HIS fault. And what is it that we ever see on the TV show? That's right...Reed getting as close to the storm as he can. Funny, I don't see any scientific equipment on his vehicle...just a gps computer and a boatload of video cameras. How about they focus on the REAL focus of the show...rather than a prima donna?

The way Discovery depicts the show isnt even really how the show goes down, they are the ones searching for ratings. I have heard from Reed and another buddy of mine who was on the show how they consistently show the sequences out of order and some of the scenes out of context for ratings...if you want to blame someone blame Discovery

SoonerStormchaser
11/11/2010, 02:51 AM
Whatever bro...you have your opinion, and I have mine. I'll leave it at that and move on.

Collier11
11/11/2010, 02:54 AM
Diff is I know the guy and your an acquaintance, your opinion is just that

SoonerStormchaser
11/11/2010, 03:35 AM
Fine...and the diff is that I also have a bunch of friends who know the guy just as well as you claim to and their opinion matches mine. So let's just leave it a that...shall we?

Blue
11/11/2010, 03:45 AM
Fine...and the diff is that I also have a bunch of friends who know the guy just as well as you claim to and their opinion matches mine. So let's just leave it a that...shall we?

OMG!!! You should be banned for arguing the way you have here tonight!!! I'm apalled and dismayed!1 I'm Appayed!

Oh wait no...that's you. Always overreacting and exaggerating. My bad.:D ;)

yankee
11/11/2010, 03:47 AM
i AM reed timmer.

Boomer.....
11/11/2010, 08:30 AM
Dude....no he's not. There's a difference between book smart and common sense smart...Reed definitely has the former, but the latter is lacking. I have crossed paths with him on numerous occasions since 2001...and several of my friends even went chasing with him back in the early parts last decade. Our opinions are all similar...and they stopped chasing with him shortly after they began. He is dangerous...his intentions may be for saving lives; but he has, for as long as I have known of him/known him, consistently shown a disregard for common sense and safety when it comes to chasing...all for that one shot that will make him famous and give him more air time. So now you've got a bunch of folks who are gonna come out here and emulate exactly what he does on the show...and one day, someone WILL die because of it and it will be HIS fault. And what is it that we ever see on the TV show? That's right...Reed getting as close to the storm as he can. Funny, I don't see any scientific equipment on his vehicle...just a gps computer and a boatload of video cameras. How about they focus on the REAL focus of the show...rather than a prima donna?

He does have his vehicle armor plated. I would hope that some jackhole in a pickup doesn't try to drive into a tornado.

Boomer.....
11/11/2010, 08:32 AM
i AM reed timmer.

http://library.thinkquest.org/07aug/01266/timmy.jpg

Lott's Bandana
11/11/2010, 09:03 AM
I watch the show because of all the footage of The Heartland and the OU Swag being worn makes me smile.

I've seen enough tornado footage in my life, that part is not why I watch.

Reed has a very overactive pituitary gland that gushes adrenaline like a firehose...giving him hysteria at a very critical time.

If he was a part of my submarine crew, he would have fallen up a ladder a long time ago. This "treatment" usually succeeded as a chill pill and leveled this type of personality out.

Sean reminds me of a Castro district coffee shop barista, upset that he didn't get the part in A Midsummer Night's Dream he auditioned for...

TheHumanAlphabet
11/11/2010, 10:09 AM
This Reed Timmer guy sounds a lot like my class mate Lou Wicker. Lou is smarter than hell with Meteorology (Ph.D. Univ. of Illinois, now a researcher at NSSL), but when it came to some common sense back in the day, he was late in line. Some people (I don't know who - dorm mates?) started a "Low Wicker Says" campaign. This was seen all around campus about timely material in the day. The culmination was a huge banner draped over the "Battlestar Banowsky" library clock tower that said "Low Wicker says...Screw Mizzou !".

BTW, Lou was none too pleased.

afs
11/11/2010, 10:22 AM
weather smack!!!

Boomer.....
11/11/2010, 10:34 AM
:gary:

Collier11
11/11/2010, 10:39 AM
weather smack!!!

Lightning bolt to your supercell