PDA

View Full Version : In the big picture, the game was MEANINGLESS

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2010, 11:13 PM
Except for those who have the darkest of crimson glasses, tonight's game didn't change the situation much. We were not going to make the title game. So the big prize is the conference and that is still very much on the table. It does give the pokes a cushion in that they can drop a game and still win it by beating us, but we can still make sure they have to beat us to get there.

landrun
11/6/2010, 11:27 PM
You're assuming we beat Baylor on the road.

I'm not as optimistic about that as you seem to be.

Curly Bill
11/6/2010, 11:28 PM
This game was meaningless?

So...you're telling me they didn't keep score?

picasso
11/6/2010, 11:29 PM
If anything it was a confidence builder for Landries.

;)

soonercastor
11/6/2010, 11:30 PM
LOL how the **** can you say this? Technically you're right, but we could afford to lose a game....we lost it too early, now we're gonna have more pressure for the following games. And yeah with Alabama losing we had the door open for the MNC....but lets not get into that now because we obviously aren't ready. But yeah this game mattered...A LOT, even from a road wins point of view.

delhalew
11/6/2010, 11:31 PM
This does not compute. My life revolves around Sooner football. Next you'll try to to tell me the Easter Bunny is not real.

Leroy Lizard
11/6/2010, 11:31 PM
Except for those who have the darkest of crimson glasses, tonight's game didn't change the situation much. We were not going to make the title game. So the big prize is the conference and that is still very much on the table. It does give the pokes a cushion in that they can drop a game and still win it by beating us, but we can still make sure they have to beat us to get there.

Yeah, if we win out we will still probably play for the conference title. That wouldn't be too shabby.

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2010, 11:33 PM
CB, you know what I mean :P

Sure, it bumps the counter in the 'L' column, but if the goal is to win the conference and go to a BCS bowl, things haven't changed much. And as far as the BCS title -- that ship had already sailed. Of course this game doesn't inspire much confidence about OUr ability to win the conference, but I didn't say anything about that. Opportunity through adversity anyone?

CrimsonRez
11/6/2010, 11:33 PM
since this game was meaningless why the hell did we even show up?

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2010, 11:35 PM

Practice for our goal line offense.

Leroy Lizard
11/6/2010, 11:35 PM

:rolleyes:

jumperstop
11/6/2010, 11:36 PM

They didn't for the first half and fourth quarter...

Blue
11/6/2010, 11:39 PM
I'm rootin for us to win out and mudstomp someone in the Sugar (so I can go). If that doesn't happen I want 9-3 OU vs 9-3 Alabama in the Cotton.

OU_Sooners75
11/6/2010, 11:39 PM
It only changes the fact that we MUST WIN OUT to be able to go to Dallas for our chance to win the Big 12.

It changes the fact that for the next 3 weeks, unless OSU loses, we must hear about how great they are.

This losse does a lot of things. We were still in good position to be in a great BCS Bowl...now we have to play virtually flawless from this point on in order to even make a BCS Bowl.

We lose another conference game, even if it is in Dalls, we are looking at making another trip to either San Diego or El Paso.

We can still win the Big 12, yes...but we will have to do so while winning every game, we cannot lose another game and expect to win the Big 12 South, let alone the Big 12.

Going from a top 5 team to outside the top 15 in a span of 2 weeks kind of stings.

If you do not think this loss means anything, you are ignorant. It puts a lot of pressure on our already young and struggling team!

Curly Bill
11/6/2010, 11:40 PM
I'm rootin for us to win out and mudstomp someone in the Sugar (so I can go). If that doesn't happen I want 9-3 OU vs 9-3 Alabama in the Cotton.

With how well we defend the run Bama might rush for 12,000 yards against us. :eek:

OU_Sooners75
11/6/2010, 11:40 PM

If we win out, we will not be in the Sugar Bowl. We will be at the Fiesta Bowl, since we are not BCS title bound.

Big 12 Champ gets auto to Fiesta unless they are in the BCS Title Game.

CowboyMRW
11/6/2010, 11:42 PM
The Big 12 Championship was most likely coming down to Bedlam anyways, even if yall won. Yall will beat Paylor, I really don't care what yall say about the road struggles. Yall won at Cincy and that is much tougher than Paylor. They are not as good as they think they are. All today did was make it where we can afford to drop the Texas game realistically, as I don't know what teams are going to show up and Texas always scares me. You don't lose at home which means that Bedlam should decide the Big 12 south representative and hopefully the Champion as I hate to see Nebraska leave with the Championship

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2010, 11:43 PM
I can guarantee I'm not ignorant of things football. Yes there is pressure to win, but there always is. Down to our last strike to use a baseball analogy, so use it well. You take this stuff too serious.

EDIT: that was to '75

Iam4OUru
11/6/2010, 11:43 PM
It only changes the fact that we MUST WIN OUT to be able to go to Dallas for our chance to win the Big 12.

It changes the fact that for the next 3 weeks, unless OSU loses, we must hear about how great they are.

This losse does a lot of things. We were still in good position to be in a great BCS Bowl...now we have to play virtually flawless from this point on in order to even make a BCS Bowl.

We lose another conference game, even if it is in Dalls, we are looking at making another trip to either San Diego or El Paso.

Now exactly the goals the team set for themselves to start the season.

Going from a top 5 team to outside the top 15 in a span of 2 weeks kind of stings.
If you do not think this loss means anything, you are ignorant. It puts a lot of pressure on our already young and struggling team!

If you bought into the "Top 5" thing.....then I understand why you're upset.

OU_Sooners75
11/6/2010, 11:47 PM
I can guarantee I'm not ignorant of things football. Yes there is pressure to win, but there always is. Down to our last strike to use a baseball analogy, so use it well. You take this stuff too serious.

EDIT: that was to '75

I dont take too serious...but I did play this sport and hate losing. I hate watching OU lose period...in any sport.

But to say this loss or this game tonight was meaningless, that is just stupid to say. I meant a lot.

Yes, the division is still wide open, but losing tonight means a lot.

cccasooner2
11/6/2010, 11:48 PM
Geeze, now we're bringing philosophy into football? Why can't we just accept that Norman is a drinking town with a football problem? (I had to be born earlier than I was to beat Switzer to that quote). :)

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2010, 11:49 PM
I dont take too serious...but I did play this sport and hate losing. I hate watching OU lose period...in any sport.

But to say this loss or this game tonight was meaningless, that is just stupid to say. I meant a lot.

Yes, the division is still wide open, but losing tonight means a lot.

It's just a game, Focker.

OU_Sooners75
11/6/2010, 11:49 PM

I bought into the top 5 thing, because at the time they were winning, even away from Norman.

And do not sit there and say you and anyone else did not buy into it either. Because damn near every Sooner fan was estatic and telling each other that we did belong, maybe not #1, but at the time top 5.

We lost two road games that this team is more than capable of winning, that is why I am so upset.

StoopTroup
11/6/2010, 11:51 PM
Baylor is gonna *** rape us.

OU_Sooners75
11/6/2010, 11:52 PM
It's just a game, Focker.

Thanks for the obvious statement dumb arse.

Some of us are very passionate of our Sooners and hate to see them lose.

Will the game against Tech be meaningless too? Or are the games we win meaningful? What about against Baylor, is that game meaningful? Oklahoma state, meaningful or not?

Every game in FBS Football is meaningful for each team.

Pricetag
11/6/2010, 11:52 PM
You should probably skip basketball this year.

Okie35
11/6/2010, 11:53 PM

Basically, we're like a top 20 team at best.

Iam4OUru
11/6/2010, 11:55 PM
I bought into the top 5 thing, because at the time they were winning, even away from Norman.

And do not sit there and say you and anyone else did not buy into it either. Because damn near every Sooner fan was estatic and telling each other that we did belong, maybe not #1, but at the time top 5.

We lost two road games that this team is more than capable of winning, that is why I am so upset.

I never once thought they were a "Top 5 team". Do you think they're better than their record? I don't.

OU_Sooners75
11/6/2010, 11:57 PM

No, I have accepted the fact that our team in basketball sucks.

Ill be surprised if we win 15 games this year.

However, in football, I did not expect to go undefeated, but I damn sure didnt expect to lose two games we were very capable of winning.

OU_Sooners75
11/6/2010, 11:59 PM
I never once thought they were a "Top 5 team". Do you think they're better than their record? I don't.

I think our team is a 7-2 team. It doesnt matter if I think we are better than the record...it is what it is.

However, I do think OU is more than capable of winning against the likes of A&M and Missouri.

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2010, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the obvious statement dumb arse.

Some of us are very passionate of our Sooners and hate to see them lose.

Will the game against Tech be meaningless too? Or are the games we win meaningful? What about against Baylor, is that game meaningful? Oklahoma state, meaningful or not?

Every game in FBS Football is meaningful for each team.

The great thing about sports is there is always the next game. And when the season is over, there is always next season with new faces and new hope. Much different from real life and that's why some of us watch. But I *think* you are intelligent enough to know what I meant with this thread.

Iam4OUru
11/7/2010, 12:11 AM
I think our team is a 7-2 team. It doesnt matter if I think we are better than the record...it is what it is.

However, I do think OU is more than capable of winning against the likes of A&M and Missouri.

I think Bammer was "more than capable" of beating LSU today, too. But, they didn't.

Sooner98
11/7/2010, 12:16 AM
zDAmPIq29ro

OU_Sooners75
11/7/2010, 12:17 AM
I think Bammer was "more than capable" of beating LSU today, too. But, they didn't.

So I suppose that means Alabams is not a better team than 7-2 as well, right?

Maybe I am feeble, but we are definitely a better team than what our record indicates. But we are also a young inconsistent team.

I figured preseason we would lose 1 game. I never thought we would look so terrible on the road. Hell, even last year, we were at least competive on the road. This year, it seems like a mixture of our youth and the stupidity of our coaching has reared its ugly head.

I am not sure about anyone else...but I though this team was definitely a top 10 team...I would not even put them in the top 20 after tonight.

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 12:21 AM
No, I have accepted the fact that our team in basketball sucks.

Ill be surprised if we win 15 games this year.

However, in football, I did not expect to go undefeated, but I damn sure didnt expect to lose two games we were very capable of winning.

So you expected us to lose games we were not capable of winning? Because that's all you're left with.

OU_Sooners75
11/7/2010, 12:25 AM
So you expected us to lose games we were not capable of winning? Because that's all you're left with.

No, I thought maybe OU would lose to Florida state and that was going to be it.

There is not a team in this country OU should not be able to beat.

I have said it for quite awhile...I am not scared of any team that OU will face or faces. The team I am scared of the most is OU because it has been proven time and time again that we have beaten ourself more than once. And because of the lack of consistency away from Norman.

Iam4OUru
11/7/2010, 12:27 AM
So I suppose that means Alabams is not a better team than 7-2 as well, right?

Maybe I am feeble, but we are definitely a better team than what our record indicates. But we are also a young inconsistent team.

I figured preseason we would lose 1 game. I never thought we would look so terrible on the road. Hell, even last year, we were at least competive on the road. This year, it seems like a mixture of our youth and the stupidity of our coaching has reared its ugly head.

I am not sure about anyone else...but I though this team was definitely a top 10 team...I would not even put them in the top 20 after tonight.

Well, if I think they were "capable" of winning those games.....I guess they're still unbeaten.

Just a sec....you posted earlier that you believed OU was a "Top 5" team. Now, you're sayin' "Top 10"? There is a difference, ya know?

Iam4OUru
11/7/2010, 12:30 AM
No, I thought maybe OU would lose to Florida state and that was going to be it.

There is not a team in this country OU should not be able to beat.

I have said it for quite awhile...I am not scared of any team that OU will face or faces. The team I am scared of the most is OU because it has been proven time and time again that we have beaten ourself more than once. And because of the lack of consistency away from Norman.

Oregon, Auburn and TCU would kick our teeth out. I'm afraid that is reality and it has very little to do with our two losses.

Blue
11/7/2010, 12:32 AM

No Doubt! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Fire Calvin Kapell Simpson! :D

OU_Sooners75
11/7/2010, 12:36 AM
Well, if I think they were "capable" of winning those games.....I guess they're still unbeaten.

Just a sec....you posted earlier that you believed OU was a "Top 5" team. Now, you're sayin' "Top 10"? There is a difference, ya know?

Stick with me here kiddo and pay tention,

I thought going into the season, OU was definitely a top 10 team.

Because of what transpired where OU got up to #1 in the BCS, I thought they were just as deserving at that point as anyone.

After tonight, I would not even put OU in the top 20. You have got to be able to win on the road to be considered a top 20 team IMHO, and OU cant.

I said, that at the time there was not one Sooner that was saying they did not deserve to be a top 5 team, including myself. They were 5-0 and ranked #1 in the BCS.

Since you said you did not think they were a top 5 team...care to share a link that will back you up? Because if you truly thought that, you would have mentioned it here on this board or someplace else.

Anyway....I am tired and have to be at work in the morning. I bid ya'll ****ers a good night and God Bless!

BOOMER!!!!

OU_Sooners75
11/7/2010, 12:37 AM
No Doubt! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Fire Calvin Kapell Simpson! :D

I said that just last year. I said it before he got Blake Griffin too!

:O

OU_Sooners75
11/7/2010, 12:39 AM
Oregon, Auburn and TCU would kick our teeth out. I'm afraid that is reality and it has very little to do with our two losses.

It depends where it is played.

In Norman, OU can beat any of those teams.
Away, not so much.

Auburn and Oregon do not have very good defenses, so bring them to Norman, OU I think would win.

TCU has not been tested, everyone wants to say something about Utah, but their schedule this year has been atrosious.

anyway....later man...have a good night!

Iam4OUru
11/7/2010, 12:43 AM
It depends where it is played.

In Norman, OU can beat any of those teams.
Away, not so much.

Auburn and Oregon do not have very good defenses, so bring them to Norman, OU I think would win.

TCU has not been tested, everyone wants to say something about Utah, but their schedule this year has been atrosious.

anyway....later man...have a good night!

LMAO....and we do?

OU_Sooners75
11/7/2010, 12:46 AM
LMAO....and we do?

If you can read...then maybe you will catch what I am saying....

there is a big difference in the OU team that plays in Norman and the team that plays on the road.

But that is stating the obvious.

agoo758
11/7/2010, 01:09 AM

From a wins and losses standpoint. Yes

But the meaning in this game comes from the fact that OUr guys failed to prove to themselves that they can play consistantly on the road, or that they can rebound after a bad start.

One thing that discourages me is that when we get down by two scores, we don't come back..............ever.

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2010, 08:50 AM
From a wins and losses standpoint. Yes

But the meaning in this game comes from the fact that OUr guys failed to prove to themselves that they can play consistantly on the road, or that they can rebound after a bad start.

One thing that discourages me is that when we get down by two scores, we don't come back..............ever.

I've figured it out. If we had won, we would be 8-1 and sooners75 would have a smiley face :) :) :) , but since we lost we are 7-2 and sooners75 has a frowny face :( :( :(

The things you point out are just the reasons the team lost those 2 games. With the conference down, there are more chances to recovery and still win the thing. In all probability, this team is now down to their last chance and if they lose again, well, that's the team they are. It's not like it came down to one play and a bad bounce of the ball against great teams. We got beat by 2 scores against good (Mizzou) or average (aTm) teams. But this team *could* still win the conference, but it doesn't get any easier.

CtheB
11/7/2010, 08:56 AM
Not trying to be argumentative, but if you get the point where you believe that any game is meaningless, you are as aloof and arrogant as our coaches appear to be. Start thinking that any game is meaningless, and I will show you a great football program that is fast approaching the "good" category.

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2010, 09:00 AM
Not trying to be argumentative, but if you get the point where you believe that any game is meaningless, you are as aloof and arrogant as our coaches appear to be. Start thinking that any game is meaningless, and I will show you a great football program that is fast approaching the "good" category.

No doofus, read the post. The *only* point is that the team can still win the conference. And if they don't, it's not like they didn't have plenty of chances - it will be because they have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they don't deserve it.

CtheB
11/7/2010, 09:11 AM
No doofus, read my post. Calling any game meaningless after you know the outcome is arrogance.

Let me know how meaningless that game was last night in a few weeks. Sure I think it will be meaningless in the long run, but not for the same reasons you do.

Call this game meaningless BEFORE the game, and I will give you credit. Until then, such comments make you look like a child in denial.

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2010, 09:21 AM
A quiz:

1) OU was out of the national title race before the game TRUE or FALSE

2) OU could win the conference before the game last night TRUE or FALSE

3) OU can still win the conference even after last night's game TRUE or FALSE

Only extreme homers would answer 1) as false. 2) and 3) are not opinions, they are just facts and that was the true intent of this thread. The title of the tread was just hyperbole to get your attention - of course games have meaning, sorry that is too subtle for you.

htownsooner7
11/7/2010, 09:46 AM
His point is correct, quit nit picking. Yes, the game had meaning. But his point is that the best end product for this team is still attainable.

CtheB
11/7/2010, 10:03 AM
I agree with that point, and apologies for not-picking the OP.

CBUS_SOONER
11/7/2010, 10:28 AM

Bama would beat us by 20+. I bet we will not go to cotton since we will prob lose to baylor and osu.

Iam4OUru
11/7/2010, 11:07 AM
His point is correct, quit nit picking. Yes, the game had meaning. But his point is that the best end product for this team is still attainable.

Delete the word "meaningless" from the thread title and we should all be able to comprehend what he meant....unless you failed his quiz. :rolleyes:

webfoot
11/7/2010, 11:12 AM
With how well we defend the run Bama might rush for 12,000 yards against us. :eek:

This times 5.

soonercastor
11/7/2010, 11:13 AM
you may wanna use another team there, Bama sucks this year.

soonerlaw
11/7/2010, 11:25 AM
I guess the point of this thread is that if we win out, we can still make the conference game. But A&M has only 2 losses in the conference.

Assuming we win out, wouldn't we still need help because A&M would get the tie-break?

BoulderSooner79
12/7/2010, 04:43 PM

Thought I'd bump this thread for a couple of reasons.

Did anyone *really* doubt we'd win the conference after this (the aTm) game?
:D ;)

85sooners
12/7/2010, 06:01 PM
:pop:

SoonerShay
12/7/2010, 06:12 PM
Wow, we have some loser fans! Bama would stomp us, we will probably lose to freaking Baylor and osu...

FtwTxSooner
12/7/2010, 07:38 PM

How about three scores?

:D

AlboSooner
12/7/2010, 07:39 PM
Hahaha. I love these threads.

agoo758
12/8/2010, 12:18 AM
How about three scores?

:D

I am glad that I was wrong about that one.:D

FirstandGoal
12/8/2010, 12:19 AM
And this is exactly why I do my best to stay away from here right after we lose.

agoo758
12/8/2010, 12:22 AM
And this is exactly why I do my best to stay away from here right after we lose.

I wish I did the same, after a loss I get highly emotional and end up saying a lot of things that turn out to be very wrong down the road.:O

GottaHavePride
12/8/2010, 12:37 AM
After losses I come on here to ban noobs.

:)

BoulderSooner79
12/8/2010, 11:25 AM
Hey, I just bumped this thread to get a rise out of the folks that took my thread title too literally. But everyone is so mellow after taking the conference crown that it didn't work :)

I have to give props to the wisdom of the SF.com masses as the consensus of the preseason predictions was a 10-2 regular season with a chance at the conference depending on other teams records (thank NU for knocking off the pokes). But just because we predicted the 2 losses doesn't mean we won't melt down after they happen :O :P

NormanPride
12/8/2010, 11:29 AM

It's very cathartic, I imagine.

btb916
12/8/2010, 11:31 AM
I wish I did the same, after a loss I get highly emotional and end up saying a lot of things that turn out to be very wrong down the road.:O

I think a lot of us tend to do that. :D I know I get pretty riled up, especially this year, because it seems like our losses resulted from poor execution, not a bad gameplan, play calls, or bad prep. Just frustrating play.

But hey, it happens. :D

Jello Biafra
12/8/2010, 01:21 PM

after wins, i come here to tan boobs