PDA

View Full Version : This one's on the players

PDXsooner
11/6/2010, 11:07 PM
They're kids, it's a game, and I'm not even mad. Yes, it was a disappointing game. But I can't believe the amount of frustration directed at the assistants. This game lacked execution. You have it on the one yard line and can't punch it in? I mean, that's backyard football. You have to want it more than the other guys. Period.

The fake field goal call was brilliant. Lack of execution.

The missed field goal? Hell, Stoops isn't allowed to carry a crossbow on the sidelines and shoot it back on target. Lack of execution.

Blame it on whoever you want. They're kids, and I'll cut them some slack. Here's to a better performance next week.

soonercastor
11/6/2010, 11:10 PM
well considering where we're playing next week; we can only play better....much better in fact.

rainiersooner
11/6/2010, 11:17 PM
But don't you need to call the plays you feel your players are in the best position to execute? It's as if Wilson or Stoops feels that if you can't punch it in from the one yard line with four downs, you don't deserve to win. Well guess what, we DON'T win in those situations. Florida anyone? Of course the players failed to execute in certain key spots - but it's also the coach's faults - and it's tiring to see Wilson make the same mistakes time and time again.

Curly Bill
11/6/2010, 11:18 PM
I'm not mad either, but only because this kinda loss doesn't surprise me anymore.

Leroy Lizard
11/6/2010, 11:19 PM
But don't you need to call the plays you feel your players are in the best position to execute?

Yes, and none of us know which plays those are because none of us have the experience of the OU coaching staff.

Second-guessing is fine, but show us the credentials.

Blue
11/6/2010, 11:20 PM
I'm not mad either, but only because this kinda loss doesn't surprise me anymore.

Exactly.

LesNessman
11/6/2010, 11:20 PM

Amen to that.

soonercastor
11/6/2010, 11:21 PM
It was execution when we got stuffed the first time, it was play calling when he persisted with the same calls over and over when obviously it wasn't working.

Curly Bill
11/6/2010, 11:22 PM
Yes, and none of us know which plays those are because none of us have the experience of the OU coaching staff.

Second-guessing is fine, but show us the credentials.

If it took credentials to talk about matters on here, I have a feeling you'd be on a lot less. :P

landrun
11/6/2010, 11:23 PM
They're kids, it's a game, and I'm not even mad. Yes, it was a disappointing game. But I can't believe the amount of frustration directed at the assistants. This game lacked execution. You have it on the one yard line and can't punch it in? I mean, that's backyard football. You have to want it more than the other guys. Period.

The missed field goal? Hell, Stoops isn't allowed to carry a crossbow on the sidelines and shoot it back on target. Lack of execution.

Blame it on whoever you want. They're kids, and I'll cut them some slack. Here's to a better performance next week.

No. Its on the coaches.

Using this "... it's the player's fault. They need to execute..." argument, you wouldn't ever be justified in letting any coach go. And John Blake would still be here. In fact, your argument is the exact argument the Blake apologists used to defend him.

When opposing coaches know what our coaches are going to run on both offense and defense, you put your players in a position to FAIL. You stack the cards against them.

When you average about a 50% win percentage on the road with superior talent, you're coaching is inferior. :mad:

coach_lowe
11/6/2010, 11:30 PM

No offense PDX, but the fake fg was irresponisble. Even though we squandered that possession, we overwhelmingly had the momentum. Their QB was throwing passes to our secondary. They were panicking. Why not pin them deep AGAIN and keep good field position when we STILL had the momentum with tons of time left in the game? The game completely changed after the attempt failed.

To me, that was a coaching blunder.

With all of that said, I still agree that it was ultimately on the players.

Leroy Lizard
11/6/2010, 11:37 PM
If it took credentials to talk about matters on here, I have a feeling you'd be on a lot less. :P

A fine way of saying, "Uhhh, credentials? What are credentials?"

Curly Bill
11/6/2010, 11:39 PM

Ok, you're trying way too hard again. It's just one of the reasons peeps on here hate you.

coach_lowe
11/6/2010, 11:39 PM
No. Its on the coaches.

Using this "... it's the player's fault. They need to execute..." argument, you wouldn't ever be justified in letting any coach go. And John Blake would still be here. In fact, your argument is the exact argument the Blake apologists used to defend him.

When opposing coaches know what our coaches are going to run on both offense and defense, you put your players in a position to FAIL. You stack the cards against them.

When you average about a 50% win percentage on the road with superior talent, you're coaching is inferior. :mad:

Well said. I love Bob Stoops and it's obvious that players need to make plays, but when it starts to be repetitive, it's poor coaching.

Leroy Lizard
11/6/2010, 11:40 PM
When opposing coaches know what our coaches are going to run on both offense and defense, you put your players in a position to FAIL. You stack the cards against them

Let me ask you a question: When Switzer ran the wishbone, don't you think that every freakin' coach on the planet knew what we were going to run?

They watch tons of film. There are no secrets to this game. And ATM probably didn't run anything we hadn't seen before either.

But you still have to stop it.

As far as whether it is the coaches or the players, it's a little bit of both. The coaches made some mistakes, but so did the players. But what good does it do for a fan base to go on a witch hunt?

prrriiide
11/6/2010, 11:43 PM
It was execution when we got stuffed the first time, it was play calling when he persisted with the same calls over and over when obviously it wasn't working.

^^^THIS^^^

CarolinaSoonerFan
11/6/2010, 11:48 PM
Landry Homes lost us this game with his poor passing skills in situations where mediocre would have done the job!

StoopTroup
11/6/2010, 11:49 PM

Hanna's Drop took the wind out of our sails

coach_lowe
11/6/2010, 11:50 PM
Let me ask you a question: When Switzer ran the wishbone, don't you think that every freakin' coach on the planet knew what we were going to run?

They watch tons of film. There are no secrets to this game. And ATM probably didn't run anything we hadn't seen before either.

As far as whether it is the coaches or the players, it's a little bit of both. The coaches made some mistakes, but so did the players. But what good does it do for a fan base to go on a witch hunt?

I would actually disagree. The game has evolved at a rapid rate. Offenses are more complex, practice time has decreased because of regulations, etc.

LL, I'm not condoning the bashing of Stoops, but in all fairness, his salary is paid for by citizens of Oklahoma and road woes against lesser opponents has been going on for a while now don't you think?

Curly Bill
11/6/2010, 11:51 PM
I would actually disagree. The game has evolved at a rapid rate. Offenses are more complex, practice time has decreased because of regulations, etc.

LL, I'm not condoning the bashing of Stoops, but in all fairness, his salary is paid for by citizens of Oklahoma and road woes against lesser opponents has been going on for a while now don't you think?

Let me answer that for Leroid: NO! :D

bigfatjerk
11/6/2010, 11:52 PM
We had the ball inside the one 3 times and came away with zero points.

By my count we left about 40 points on the board(31 points we didn't score and 9 points we gave them)

StoopTroup
11/6/2010, 11:53 PM
I wanna know what Coach Home Depot has to say.

prrriiide
11/6/2010, 11:53 PM

Are you even old enough to have watched Switzer's teams? That statement of yours is completely asinine. Yes. Switzer's teams ran the wishbone & triple option. They ran it a lot. BUT...they also ran counter traps, out pass plays, screen passes, reverses, and a whole playbook full of other stuff. They ran those other plays enough that defenses couldn't GUARANTEE that on any given down that they were going to see a wishbone option. That means that, even though the defense lined up to stop the option, they had to worry about the other stuff. And the wishbone QBs under Switzer weren't known for passing, but almost all of them were pretty darned good passers. Watts and Lott and Holieway were all great dual-threat players.

PDXsooner
11/6/2010, 11:54 PM
No. Its on the coaches.

Except we're talking about a coach who has a national title, 6 Big 12 titles, and is a proven winner.

PDXsooner
11/6/2010, 11:57 PM
Bottom line. You guys are fans. You're mad. You want someone to blame. Go ahead, get angry. Just realize how old and tired it is to hear fan bases all repeat the same carbon-copy response of blaming the assistants when they lose a game.

By the way, aren't we talking about the same O coordinator who coached the highest scoring offense in NCAA history 2 years ago?

Curly Bill
11/6/2010, 11:58 PM
Except we're talking about a coach who has a national title, 6 Big 12 titles, and is a proven winner.

Yeah, but here as of late there's proof starting to pile up on the opposite side of the ledger as well.

jdsooner
11/6/2010, 11:59 PM
So, I guess the players called 3 running plays inside the 5 with the clock running out and needing two touchdowns to tie?

The fake field goal was not brilliant--it was the only thing we could do. We couldn't kick a field goal from that distance and everyone knows it.

StoopTroup

We had the ball inside the one 3 times and came away with zero points.

By my count we left about 40 points on the board(31 points we didn't score and 9 points we gave them)

That's true. Go back and tear down every series. You'll find a reason for us to have won that game. Same thing with the Mizzou game.

I will say this though...we have won some ugly games this year and for awhile i though we might be able to do that all year. Believing that didn't make me think we had a great Team...it had be believing that these guy liked winning. I think they still like winning but seeing Murray look destroyed tonight worries me. He and Broyles are great players and DM is a Senior and I think that's why you saw him acting like a leader in the USU Game in September. He took it on himself to run the ball down their throat and win that game. He's continued to fight like that even when he was spent/imjured. I hope he rebounds as I just saw a flash of disappointment in his face tomight that I have never seen before. That sucks because I think he's a SOONER through and through.

PDXsooner
Yeah, but here as of late there's proof starting to pile up on the opposite side of the ledger as well.

Yeah. So you'd probably support firing Urban Meyer, Mack Brown, and Nick Saban as well (Saban lost to the mad hatter today)? I mean, what are your expectations?

coach_lowe
11/7/2010, 12:10 AM
Look, I think everyone, whether they are just a fan or casual observer, knows that the players didn't get the job done. But just because you have credentials and have done something in the past shouldn't give you a free pass based on what has already happened. Two years ago is history. This year's team is obviously just not good enough, but it is also fair to say that our kicking game and special teams play has been miserable for the most part. Every coach has my support for sure, but why should they not be made accountable just like their players? I'm a high school coach and I can assure you that even good coaches can become too comfortable from time to time. It's a natural thing after you've been put on a pedestal.

Curly Bill
11/7/2010, 12:11 AM
Yeah. So you'd probably support firing Urban Meyer, Mack Brown, and Nick Saban as well (Saban lost to the mad hatter today)? I mean, what are your expectations?

Right now? They're pretty low. ;)

Until Bob sacks up and makes some changes, my expectations will largely remain as such.

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 12:12 AM

Those guys teams don't play terrible on the road every game.

budbarrybob
11/7/2010, 12:17 AM

How many thought after the drop. Ball game... :(

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 12:18 AM
Every coach has my support for sure, but why should they not be made accountable just like their players? I'm a high school coach and I can assure you that even good coaches can become too comfortable from time to time. It's a natural thing after you've been put on a pedestal.

How do you, as a fan, want to hold them accountable? What's the plan?

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 12:19 AM

For starters Stoops could regrow a sack and can Wilson.

coach_lowe
11/7/2010, 12:25 AM

I think what is going on right now on message boards and within the media basically gets the job done. If my high school team is not performing to expectations, my community will be holding me accountable by griping to my administrators. Pressure. Plain and simple. I know Bob Stoops could care less about what one coach_lowe on a message board thinks, but multiply that by about 100,000and he probably better care ;)

SoonerLB
11/7/2010, 12:29 AM
When you know you have to score and need every stinkin' second on the game clock to get back in the game, knowing that you have been stuffed on almost every goal line play in the game, you don't stubbornly persist in trying to run the ball . . . PERIOD! MORAN play calling! By a MORAN play caller!!!

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 12:33 AM
Are you even old enough to have watched Switzer's teams? That statement of yours is completely asinine. Yes. Switzer's teams ran the wishbone & triple option. They ran it a lot. BUT...they also ran counter traps, out pass plays, screen passes, reverses, and a whole playbook full of other stuff.

Yes, and when they ran the trap I'm sure the coaches on the other side said, "Dayum, what was that?" :rolleyes:

And yes, I'm old enough to remember the game in which they first ran the wishbone.

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 12:35 AM
I think what is going on right now on message boards and within the media basically gets the job done. If my high school team is not performing to expectations, my community will be holding me accountable by griping to my administrators. Pressure. Plain and simple. I know Bob Stoops could care less about what one coach_lowe on a message board thinks, but multiply that by about 100,000and he probably better care ;)

What did Switzer tell Steve Davis? The molecules. Remember?

Besides, what are we supposed to be pressuring Stoops to do exactly? Win more? Oh yeah, great plan there.

Sooner Among The Pack
11/7/2010, 12:36 AM
Our coaches may not make the best decisions sometimes, but we got beat up front badly tonight. Same deal at Mizzou. That is the biggest difference between the last two years and the previous years in the Stoops era.

When you get dominated in the trenches, you lose more often than not.

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 12:37 AM
Our coaches may not make the best decisions sometimes, but we got beat up front badly tonight. Same deal at Mizzou. That is the biggest difference between the last two years and the previous years in the Stoops era.

I agree, but when your OC is doing everything he can to help you lose it makes it even worse.

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 12:38 AM
For starters Stoops could regrow a sack and can Wilson.

If Stoops thinks Wilson is doing a sufficient job, who are we to say otherwise? He sees the same game we do.

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 12:40 AM
If Stoops thinks Wilson is doing a sufficient job, who are we to say otherwise? He sees the same game we do.

Well if he can't see something is wrong with Wilson then maybe he needs to go.

Blue
11/7/2010, 12:40 AM

I think THIS IS IT.

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 12:41 AM
Well if he can't see something is wrong with Wilson then maybe he needs to go.

So you know how to evaluate an offensive coordinator better than Stoops?

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 12:43 AM

I'm kinda beginning to think so.

Curly Bill
11/7/2010, 12:44 AM

Shut your whore mouth! Bob Stoops is infallible! :D

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 12:45 AM
Shut your whore mouth! Bob Stoops is infallible! :D

:D

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 12:46 AM

Seriously!?!?!

You are totally deluded if you truly believe that.

coach_lowe
11/7/2010, 12:47 AM
Besides, what are we supposed to be pressuring Stoops to do exactly? Win more? Oh yeah, great plan there.

Uhmmmm.........not to specifically win more, but to win the games that he's supposed to win?

I'm curious LL. Do you think that the Sooner's ills have been lingering or do you think that it's just what every team goes through with the parity in today's game? How do you explain the road issues vs. inferior opponents? Do you believe Stoops when he proclaims that every team has the same kinds of issues?

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 12:48 AM
Seriously!?!?!

You are totally deluded if you truly believe that.

Nah I don't believe that. I do believe Stoops is too much of a puss to fire his buddy though.

Curly Bill
11/7/2010, 12:49 AM
Nah I don't believe that. I do believe Stoops is too much of a puss to fire his buddy though.

I think they have pictures, only thing that can explain how KW and BV still work here. Pictures, very incriminating pictures...

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 12:54 AM
Uhmmmm.........not to specifically win more, but to win the games that he's supposed to win?

Just win the games you're supposed to win.

And Bob says, "Oh, that's a great idea. I'll do that."

I'm curious LL. Do you think that the Sooner's ills have been lingering or do you think that it's just what every team goes through with the parity in today's game? How do you explain the road issues vs. inferior opponents? Do you believe Stoops when he proclaims that every team has the same kinds of issues?

I think that coaching all looks very easy from the sidelines.

Stoops knows as much about coaching as anyone else. If there was really a cure to our road woes, he would know about it and apply it.

I think our team simply tightens up on the road and loses concentration during key parts of the game because of it. There is no easy cure for that. You can't just apply some procedure and "fix" the problem. The team is going to have to fight through this largely on its own.

jdsooner
11/7/2010, 12:54 AM
We all know no one is going to be fired. However, our coaches are no longer teflon. They have underperformed for 5 years and we are tired of losing on the road and losing the big games. We are tired of our qb missing the receiver on the bomb and then watching an inexperienced qb throw a bomb for a 4th quarter td. We are tired of almost brilliant trick plays, missed field goals, and an inability to score in the red zone. We are tired of watching the other team return the kick off for touchdowns and kickers who can't kick a deep kickoff. We are tired of qbs who can't perform in big games or on the road. We want to see a team that has swagger and plays tough and it has been awhile since we have seen that.

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 12:56 AM
We all know no one is going to be fired. However, our coaches are no longer teflon. They have underperformed for 5 years and we are tired of losing on the road and losing the big games. We are tired of our qb missing the receiver on the bomb and then watching an inexperienced qb throw a bomb for a 4th quarter td. We are tired of almost brilliant trick plays, missed field goals, and an inability to score in the red zone. We are tired of watching the other team return the kick off for touchdowns and kickers who can't kick a deep kickoff. We are tired of qbs who can't perform in big games or on the road. We want to see a team that has swagger and plays tough and it has been awhile since we have seen that.

Excellent post!

coach_lowe
11/7/2010, 12:57 AM

YES

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 12:57 AM
I think they have pictures, only thing that can explain how KW and BV still work here.

There's another explanation: There is far more to being an offensive coordinator than play calling, and that many of the calls criticized by fans were in fact good calls that turned out badly. My gut feeling is that Stoops understands that. He interacts with KW every day. Nothing that KW does escapes Bob's attention.

It's the same problem that plagues most offensive coordinators that have large malcontent fan bases.

Sounds a lot more reasonable than "the fans know more about coaching than the coaches."

Curly Bill
11/7/2010, 12:58 AM
There's another explanation: There is far more to being an offensive coordinator than play calling, and that many of the calls criticized by fans were in fact good calls that turned out badly. My gut feeling is that Stoops understands that. He interacts with KW every day. Nothing that KW does escapes Bob's attention.

It's the same problem that plagues most offensive coordinators that have large malcontent fan bases.

Sounds a lot more reasonable than "the fans know more about coaching than the coaches."

This may explain those incriminating pictures. :D

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 12:59 AM

Or.................he is Bob's buddy and Bob won't say anything bad about him or fire him.

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 12:59 AM

Read your post and see if it doesn't have a lot of

http://thegrandchawhee.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/crybaby2.jpg

coach_lowe
11/7/2010, 01:00 AM
Just win the games you're supposed to win.

And Bob says, "Oh, that's a great idea. I'll do that."

I think that coaching all looks very easy from the sidelines.

Stoops knows as much about coaching as anyone else. If there was really a cure to our road woes, he would know about it and apply it.

I think our team simply tightens up on the road and loses concentration during key parts of the game because of it. There is no easy cure for that. You can't just apply some procedure and "fix" the problem. The team is going to have to fight through this largely on its own.

I bet you're a big supporter of "No Child Left Behind" aren't you?

jumperstop
11/7/2010, 01:00 AM

It's easy to say that as a sooner fan who probably thinks we should win most games in the past few years. A lot of teams losses come against teams that "weren't supposed to beat them". Just think back the past few years, how many teams have been upset by an unranked or low ranked team. Just to name a few, I can easily say OU, Fla, Texas, USC, Bama, tOSU, Nebbish, the list could go on. If you lose games you're supposed to lose you just suck.

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 01:02 AM
It's easy to say that as a sooner fan who probably thinks we should win most games in the past few years. A lot of teams losses come against teams that "weren't supposed to beat them". Just think back the past few years, how many teams have been upset by an unranked or low ranked team. Just to name a few, I can easily say OU, Fla, Texas, USC, Bama, tOSU, Nebbish, the list could go on. If you lose games you're supposed to lose you just suck.

How many teams play bad in every road game?

Oklahoma

agoo758
11/7/2010, 01:02 AM

Actually, it is his way of telling you that you arn't as smart as you think you are.

I tend to agree with him.

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 01:05 AM
Or.................he is Bob's buddy and Bob won't say anything bad about him or fire him.

Every freakin' fan on every freakin' web site says that about the head coach when it comes to his assistants. "Waaah, waaah! Coach won't fire him because... well... they're, they're probably like buddies and ****."

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 01:05 AM
I bet you're a big supporter of "No Child Left Behind" aren't you?

WTF? How in the Hell did you pull NCLB into the discussion?

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 01:07 AM
Every freakin' fan on every freakin' web site says that about the head coach when it comes to his assistants. "Waaah, waaah! Coach won't fire him because... well... they're, they're probably like buddies and ****."

So that makes it not true?

prrriiide
11/7/2010, 01:08 AM

That's exactly right. And when you KNOW you're getting your arse handed to you on the line, you DON'T run plays that REQUIRE the line to win at the point of attack!! KW is calling plays like his line is Load, Trav, Duke, Coop, and Jammal. NEWS FLASH!!! Those guys are in the league and the guys we got aren't there yet in terms of talent or ability!! I think KW needs to read Sun Tzu...you know...use your enemies strengths against him...that schidt.

coach_lowe
11/7/2010, 01:09 AM

Guess we can agree to disagree. I just haven't seen the same "winning spirit" that I grew up watching. I've seen a program that has been successful in terms of winning in general but not so successful on the big stage or at critical moments in the season. I'm sure that part of my frustration comes from just being a fan. But I know Sooner Magic when I see it. I just haven't seen it in a while. Good night to all.

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 01:10 AM
So that makes it not true?

Do you have any credible evidence whatsoever that Bob is really that close to KW? Or are you pulling this out of your *** like all the other fans in the country? Because that's what it looks like.

Curly Bill
11/7/2010, 01:10 AM
That's exactly right. And when you KNOW you're getting your arse handed to you on the line, you DON'T run plays that REQUIRE the line to win at the point of attack!! KW is calling plays like his line is Load, Trav, Duke, Coop, and Jammal. NEWS FLASH!!! Those guys are in the league and the guys we got aren't there yet in terms of talent or ability!! I think KW needs to read Sun Tzu...you know...use your enemies strengths against him...that schidt.

There might be a problem with this here idea of yours. ;)

coach_lowe
11/7/2010, 01:12 AM
WTF? How in the Hell did you pull NCLB into the discussion?

I think you're generally okay with status quo.

prrriiide
11/7/2010, 01:13 AM
liztard

Ahhhhh. I feel so much better now.

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 01:14 AM
Do you have any credible evidence whatsoever that Bob is really that close to KW? Or are you pulling this out of your *** like all the other fans in the country? Because that's what it looks like.

Do you have any credible evidence that Bob can evaluate an OC?

En_Fuego
11/7/2010, 01:16 AM

There are dozens of running plays out of the bone. One of the most complex offenses in modern football history. Team speed caught up with the triple option. The desire NOT to execute has caught up with OU

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 01:19 AM
There are dozens of running plays out of the bone. One of the most complex offenses in modern football history. Team speed caught up with the triple option. The desire NOT to execute has caught up with OU

Well said!!

jumperstop
11/7/2010, 01:21 AM
How many teams play bad in every road game?

Oklahoma

How many teams haven't lost a game at home in 5 years?

Oklahoma

When you win a lot at home you're going to lose ones away. Would you rather we have our annual lose to crappy team at home like Fla, Texas, USC? WERE 7-2!! Chances are we'll be 9-2 going into the OU-OSU game for a chance to play in the CCG, I'll take that.

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 01:22 AM
How many teams haven't lost a game at home in 5 years?

Oklahoma

When you win a lot at home you're going to lose ones away.
Why?

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 01:24 AM
I think you're generally okay with status quo.

Since I am a professional educator, I can weigh in on NCLB with some credibility. I am not a coach and so I don't go around telling coaches how to run their affairs, unlike some in here.

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 01:26 AM
Since I am a professional educator, I can weigh in on NCLB with some credibility. I am not a coach and so I don't go around telling coaches how to run their affairs, unlike some in here.

If you're not a coach what makes you so sure they're doing a good job?

Curly Bill
11/7/2010, 01:28 AM

Doh!

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 01:34 AM

Did I say they were?

jumperstop
11/7/2010, 01:35 AM
Why?

I don't see what you didn't understand. But w.e, it's impossible rationalising with irrational people. I'm done...

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 01:37 AM
I don't see what you didn't understand. But w.e, it's impossible rationalising with irrational people. I'm done...

So its an automatic. If you win all games at home you must lose some on the road. Hmmm.

jumperstop
11/7/2010, 01:48 AM
So its an automatic. If you win all games at home you must lose some on the road. Hmmm.

I mean no, but it's more likely. We've had 10 win seasons the majority of the years stoops has been here. I would rather have three of those losses away than at home. So by your logic, if we win all at home we must win them all on the road. I'm not saying we don't play different at home than we do away, but that's how a lot of teams are. I just think this playing away from home bad is greatly exaggerated cause our awesome home record. What about the 6 Cc we won away from home?

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 01:55 AM
I mean no, but it's more likely. We've had 10 win seasons the majority of the years stoops has been here. I would rather have three of those losses away than at home. So by your logic, if we win all at home we must win them all on the road. I'm not saying we don't play different at home than we do away, but that's how a lot of teams are. I just think this playing away from home bad is greatly exaggerated cause our awesome home record. What about the 6 Cc we won away from home?

I just think its weird that we play so badly on the road. Sure other teams play bad on the road too. But the majority of them that play bad on the road play bad at home too. I'd blame the players if it just happened 1 year but its now 4 years straight. I can even understand a "clunker" every now and then but we throw one out there every road game...............unless we're playing a really, really bad team. Its coaching plain and simple.

soonercastor
11/7/2010, 01:58 AM

I was defending this away from home thing last week saying last year was a down year and people are looking into too much. But record aside, the WAY we play on the road is MUCH different than the way we play at home, that's the main problem.

jumperstop
11/7/2010, 02:01 AM
I just think its weird that we play so badly on the road. Sure other teams play bad on the road too. But the majority of them that play bad on the road play bad at home too. I'd blame the players if it just happened 1 year but its now 4 years straight. I can even understand a "clunker" every now and then but we throw one out there every road game...............unless we're playing a really, really bad team. Its coaching plain and simple.

Can't disagree that our coaching can get stale sometimes, especially in hostile territory late in the game.

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 02:01 AM
But record aside, the WAY we play on the road is MUCH different than the way we play at home, that's the main problem.

That's no secret. We just don't know why and have no idea what to do about it.

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 02:02 AM
Can't disagree that our coaching can get stale sometimes, especially in hostile territory late in the game.

Every time we're on the road.

jumperstop
11/7/2010, 02:06 AM
I was defending this away from home thing last week saying last year was a down year and people are looking into too much. But record aside, the WAY we play on the road is MUCH different than the way we play at home, that's the main problem.

Again can't disagree there either. I'm just saying our overall record is up there with the best teams in the past 10 years, just happens most of our losses are on the road when you've only had 2 at home. Should we be better away? yes.

tulsaoilerfan
11/7/2010, 02:13 AM

God we could only hope :D

MamaMia
11/7/2010, 02:29 AM

Seriously!?!?!

You are totally deluded if you truly believe that.SOONER44EVER doesn't have weekly "Family Day" with Wilson. Maybe he is able to see things more objectively. If Stoops had his way, Long would still be here.

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 02:30 AM
SOONER44EVER doesn't have weekly "Family Day" with Wilson. Maybe he is able to see things more objectively. If Stoops had his way, Long would still be here.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Wilson over Long any day of the week.

kc sooner
11/7/2010, 02:35 AM

Amen!

King Barry's Back
11/7/2010, 03:35 AM
It's as if Wilson or Stoops feels that if you can't punch it in from the one yard line with four downs, you don't deserve to win.

Maybe they have a point?

Sooner70
11/7/2010, 07:38 AM
Did a coach overthrow the wide open, uncovered receiver that coulda led to a sure OU TD?

Did a coach's foot cause the field goal to be missed?

Did a coach drop the perfectly thrown pass from Nimmo to Hanna that coulda resulted in yet another TD?

May be some play calliing issues inside the 5 yd line? I'll give on that, but my guess is if someone looks at the film, there were missed assignments.

SoonerMarkVA
11/7/2010, 09:08 AM
How many thought after the drop. Ball game... :(

+1

And I posted such on the game thread. The reason? We simply lack mental toughness. I think that explains our road vs. home disparity. Our home environs give the team support mentally when things are tough. On the road, we just seem to come unraveled.

btb916
11/7/2010, 09:23 AM

I agree. I do think the coaches have a role in amping the players up, convincing them to want it more than the other team. I don't think our coaching staff does that well from year to year. But ultimately we had a great game plan and the players just didn't execute.

SoonerMustang
11/7/2010, 09:27 AM
I agree. I do think the coaches have a role in amping the players up, convincing them to want it more than the other team. I don't think our coaching staff does that well from year to year. But ultimately we had a great game plan and the players just didn't execute.

Hmmmm, maybe the game plan sucked as well as the execution! Listen, this team may have all the talent in the world but when they are getting kicked by A&M and Mizzou, PLEASE! Thats coaching and someone needs to start waking up to the reality....times change! I am ready for some change in the coaching staff as well. NEXT?

Ground_Attack
11/7/2010, 09:30 AM
Read your post and see if it doesn't have a lot of

http://thegrandchawhee.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/crybaby2.jpg

Ready your posts and tell me if they doesn't have a lot of

http://taosexperience.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/49487_7909_by_eof.jpg

and

http://gallery.wewt.net/albums/funny/moron.jpg

TUSooner
11/7/2010, 09:50 AM

I'll add my "amen" to that.

On the topic: Ultimately, it's almost alway on the players, but these are young guys, kids, they need the coaches to get them prepared in every way. And the coaches are supposed to take the heat off the players (unless it's Squeaky Mack). Thus, the coaches cannot escape all responsibility for what the players do. That said, I sure hope the players mature in a great way, because that's the only way they'll beat the bogey-man of the choke on the road.

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 11:33 AM
On the topic: Ultimately, it's almost alway on the players, but these are young guys, kids, they need the coaches to get them prepared in every way. And the coaches are supposed to take the heat off the players (unless it's Squeaky Mack). Thus, the coaches cannot escape all responsibility for what the players do. That said, I sure hope the players mature in a great way, because that's the only way they'll beat the bogey-man of the choke on the road.

Agreed. If the team is to start playing well on the road, the players are just going to have to overcome whatever issues they face. It's mostly mental.

SouthFortySooner
11/7/2010, 12:07 PM
^^^THIS^^^

Perfect example of hingsight. What if we had scored.

btb916
11/7/2010, 12:12 PM
Hmmmm, maybe the game plan sucked as well as the execution! Listen, this team may have all the talent in the world but when they are getting kicked by A&M and Mizzou, PLEASE! Thats coaching and someone needs to start waking up to the reality....times change! I am ready for some change in the coaching staff as well. NEXT?

What was wrong with the gameplan?? Seriously. Landry missed some gimme throws. Hannah drops a ball that hits him in the hands. Offensive line just has no passion to get a big push on the goal line. That's execution.

On defense, I don't know what the heck is going on. Probably a combination of youth and a weak defensive line. But I would like to know exactly what part of the gameplan you didn't like. Just want them to do what's successful right. :rolleyes:

CarolinaSoonerFan
11/7/2010, 06:11 PM
Landry Homes lost us this game with his poor passing skills in situations where mediocre would have done the job!

This one's on the players 11/7/2010 12:57 AM
SOONER44EVER
Learn the guys name at least.

SOONER44EVER doesn't think I know Landry's real name.....How bout you get my point. This is my new nickname for him as he only seems to show up at HOME. Thus Landry "Homes".

cdlbdd
11/7/2010, 06:23 PM
Agreed. If the team is to start playing well on the road, the players are just going to have to overcome whatever issues they face. It's mostly mental.

What percentage of the struggles on the road, in your opinion, is attributable to some sort of 'mental' issue?

soonervegas
11/7/2010, 06:35 PM
There was a prophet on here about 5 years ago. He told us this coaching staff was overrated and underperformed with the resources at OU. We used to laugh at him, throw things, and ban him frequently......

If only we would have listened. Oh where art thou Nicholas?

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 06:38 PM
What percentage of the struggles on the road, in your opinion, is attributable to some sort of 'mental' issue?

There's no way of knowing, but it could be 100%.

I don't see any other explanations, unless someone has offered them and I missed it.

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 06:39 PM
There was a prophet on here about 5 years ago. He told us this coaching staff was overrated and underperformed with the resources at OU. We used to laugh at him, throw things, and ban him frequently......

We still should.

bigfatjerk
11/7/2010, 08:12 PM
How can it be mental when it's different players over the years? Is it mental with all of our players the last 5 years or so? Over the last 5 years we are 22 points better at home. The only top program even close is Florida. And we've put a ton of guys in the NFL over that period.

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2010, 08:18 PM
How can it be mental when it's different players over the years? Is it mental with all of our players the last 5 years or so?

You would have a point if we swapped out all of our players each year for new ones. Doesn't work like that.

So is it physical? Our players' arms and legs weaken when on the road?

tominator
11/7/2010, 10:52 PM
All, this post is from an Aggie that grew up in Edmond, Oklahoma.

I've seen a number of posts by other Aggies gloating and bragging about our victory. That behavior is supposed to be everything that we (Texas A&M) pride ourselves on avoiding. We teach our students and fans to avoid that kind of immature behavior. I know I can not speak for the school, but I personally apologize for those unnecessary posts.

OU has crushed Texas A&M for most of the last decade. And, I can not recall a single negative post from an OU fan on the main Texas A&M boards. I guess you do not find it necessary to gloat when you are used to winning. I look forward to the return of those days as for Aggies an Aggie fan. (We had them when I was in school and Jackie Sherril was coach).

We have had many great games with OU at A&M and a good game or two with A&M at OU... the games at OU have historically been decided by OU in the first quarter.

OU is the program most fans wish for their school. I think it is irresponsible to throw out the coaches during a single tough season.

With that, most schools would be thrilled to have OU's HC, DC or OC. I am surprised to see so many questioning any of the three. Since Stoops has been head coach, I have wished he would find a way to leave (For the NFL?).

I appreciate the scrutiny of the officials in yesterday's game. I believe they missed a number of calls, both directions. I think that is sad for the overall story of the Big XII. We all expect and deserve a fair and well called game.

Finally, I wish OU the best of luck in the remainder of the season.

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 11:41 PM
SOONER44EVER doesn't think I know Landry's real name.....How bout you get my point. This is my new nickname for him as he only seems to show up at HOME. Thus Landry "Homes".

Oh now I get it. So what is your new name for Stoops?