PDA

View Full Version : I just can't blame the defense for our 2 losses this year

The_Red_Patriot
11/6/2010, 09:48 PM
Mizzou- Offensive turnovers in the redzone.
A&M- Kevin Wilson. Hate to be a person to call out a coach but damn... HB/FB dives and bubble screens weren't working but go ahead...try them for 10,000 times tonight.

Defense gets tired when your offense goes to sleep. I will also say I always place blame on execution and players before I will go after a coach. I just can't do it tonight.

Kevin Wilson...you suck man!

Now the Pokes are in the drivers seat. Yuck.

ictsooner7
11/6/2010, 09:55 PM
36 points and 35 now? REALLY? Not championship defense.

bringit
11/6/2010, 10:00 PM
too many points being given up. could we have scored more? yes. that's a lot of points to be giving up.

landrun
11/6/2010, 10:05 PM
Our defense sucks dude.

We're ranked around 80 in total defense. You can't blame that on anything but the defense.

Venables has proven to be nothing but an average coach with superior talent. We can't beat teams that match up to us. It goes without saying we lose to teams with inferior talent because almost every team we play has inferior talent. When we play teams with superior talent, it can get embarrassing. See the 04 Orange Bowl.

CU Sooner
11/6/2010, 10:08 PM
the defense gave us the ball twice with a chance to take the lead and we go 3 and out and then hanna drops the td off the fake. the defense didnt give up 9 of those points and for once BV made some good adjustments at half. Red Patriot i am with you, same thing happened in mizzou, got the ball back with a chance to increase a lead and 3 and out. oc has problems and i hope someone offers him a job this year, its the only way we lose coaches.

Okie35
11/6/2010, 10:11 PM
Our defense sucks dude.

We're ranked around 80 in total defense. You can't blame that on anything but the defense.

Venables has proven to be nothing but an average coach with superior talent. We can't beat teams that match up to us. It goes without saying we lose to teams with inferior talent because almost every team we play has inferior talent. When we play teams with superior talent, it can get embarrassing. See the 04 Orange Bowl.

Not true when your offense doesn't do ****. Your defense will eventually break down.

The_Red_Patriot
11/6/2010, 10:26 PM
Running the same plays over and over again on the goal line three straight times and failing at all of them.....hey....run it again.

Play action pass ? Never heard of it.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/newsok-photos/613115/medium.jpg

Wilson's play calling tonight reminded me of the Florida national title game and the 07 Tech game when Halze lit people up and Wilson calls fade after fade on the goal line on two straight series.....

Collier11
11/6/2010, 10:46 PM
It may not have been great but the D played well enough to beat Mizzou. The D tonight played pretty damn well, the kickoff wasnt on them, the safety wasnt on them, the offense leaving the D on the field all night. They had 1 bust late but overall, played pretty well

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/6/2010, 11:43 PM
Our defense sucks dude.

you've got the right person that is responsible for our bad defense, but you've got the wrong reason why. our defense is bad because our linebackers are great physical specimens who are horrible linebackers. its the same reason that long failed. at some point, we just need to adapt and have the coordinators be in charge of the overall offense and not be in charge of a position.

East Coast Bias
11/7/2010, 08:47 AM
JKM is on target here. Watching TCU there LB's are very controlled with their assignments and nothing comes through their areas either run or pass without the physical response. Our LB's fly around completely out of control trying to make big plays rather than cover their lanes. Having a strong D-Line does help the LB's play their assignments, and we certainly are missing in that department. The D-Line did play better tonight......

PLaw
11/7/2010, 08:53 AM
Brent made a WR playing QB look like an all-conference stud. I think these guys were better with less talented, mentally tougher players - they new they had to have sound fundamentals and scheme better than the opposing OC.

I long to hear another coach say, "we couldn't figure out where they were coming from" B. Bowden, '01 OB.

Our thoroughbreds too often lack discipline and blow assignments that cost big plays.

Bummer

tulsaoilerfan
11/7/2010, 10:32 AM
you've got the right person that is responsible for our bad defense, but you've got the wrong reason why. our defense is bad because our linebackers are great physical specimens who are horrible linebackers. its the same reason that long failed. at some point, we just need to adapt and have the coordinators be in charge of the overall offense and not be in charge of a position.

Gotta agree with u JKM;Lewis is the most over-rated player in OU's recent history and i can't figure out why Wort is even on the field; they are always out of position and neither of them can get off a block and make a play

OUmillenium
11/7/2010, 10:41 AM
There are great posts in this thread. I think the staff has gone too "athlete" crazy and forgotten how to recruit football players.

- Chijoke O
- Lewis Baker
- now Travis Lewis

Just to name a few.

Fast, athletic guys who were more often in the wrong place than the right place.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/7/2010, 10:54 AM
When we play teams with superior talent, it can get embarrassing. See the 04 Orange Bowl.

I can't seem to find the results of that one.

Huh.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/7/2010, 11:01 AM
Gotta agree with u JKM;Lewis is the most over-rated player in OU's recent history and i can't figure out why Wort is even on the field; they are always out of position and neither of them can get off a block and make a play

actually wort isn't half as bad as he looks. its the polar opposite of the ryan reynolds was so good argument his freshman year. reynolds LOOKED good because loftin WAS good. wort LOOKS bad because lewis is PLAYING bad. i'll see if i can't rip some video off the tivo to highlight it.

SoonerBBall
11/7/2010, 01:48 PM
actually wort isn't half as bad as he looks. its the polar opposite of the ryan reynolds was so good argument his freshman year. reynolds LOOKED good because loftin WAS good. wort LOOKS bad because lewis is PLAYING bad. i'll see if i can't rip some video off the tivo to highlight it.

I was saying this last night to my brother. Our poor d-line play isn't helping Wort look any better, either.